or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Official Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 / 6010 thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 / 6010 thread - Page 2

post #31 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

.... I sure don't want to plop down $20-35 for a 3D movie that has no multiple viewing playability value.

I feel the same way. When I go 3D in the next few weeks, I'm going to try this rental service: http://stores.3d-blurayrental.com/StoreFront.bok
post #32 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I have a set of Epson 3D glasses on the way but need to rent or buy a title other than Avatar, which is known to not have issues.

Would you share where you ordered the Epson glasses? I ordered a 5010 from Visual Apex today and it has already shipped, but the glasses are back ordered there and I can't seem to find any store that has them in stock.
post #33 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post


It may not be the chip for 3D, but for 2D it did one heck of a job with my last projector.

If ghosting is your main concern, you'll do better with something like the Benq W7000. All of these 3 panel projectors will have some ghosting compared to DLP.

Being 2D is my main concern, the 5010 looks like a winner too me. If it weren't for getting my JVC RS45 for around the same price, if not cheaper. The 5010 would have been my first choice.

I had the HD33 and sold it since I learn that I was RBE sensitive...
post #34 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8000HD View Post

I had the HD33 and sold it since I learn that I was RBE sensitive...

I know how it is..I'm also RBE sensitive. Didn't stop me from enjoying my DLPs though.

Looks like Sony Hw30,Epson 5010 or maybe the Panny AE7000 for you.
The JVC from all reports will not have ghost free 3D. Neither will the rest, but the others will be better at it from what I've read so far.

Either way you'll take a step down leaving 3D DLP in that area. You'll lose in one area but gain in many others. Overall image quality on any of the units listed will be a major step forward.
post #35 of 3320
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby Reardon View Post

Would you share where you ordered the Epson glasses? I ordered a 5010 from Visual Apex today and it has already shipped, but the glasses are back ordered there and I can't seem to find any store that has them in stock.


http://www.projectorpeople.com/acces...p?itemid=26865
*For $3 more, you can get 3 day shipping.
post #36 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

http://www.projectorpeople.com/acces...p?itemid=26865
*For $3 more, you can get 3 day shipping.

Weird. When I checked them a few hours ago the glasses weren't in stock. Thanks!
post #37 of 3320

After an hour of thorough testing its a lot more like 80ms unfortunately. Slightly better than the 3010, but for the premium you pay for this projector I would require under 50ms minimum.
post #38 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj101 View Post

The only thing that bothers me about the Epson is the lack of Iris and CFI in 3D. I really think Epson should update the projector to include these missing features.

What I'm posting is pure speculation... But having written that...

I'm wondering if CFI for 3D is a lot like latency/lag. By this I mean that reviewers don't seem to comment on it or they don't have the tools or skills to measure it.

Specifically, how good of a job is CFI doing for 3D? Do current implements of CFI improve the 3D effect or reduce the effect or have no effect on 3d and just make the image smoother?

Keep in mind that CFI for 3D is more complex than CFI for 2D. Very basically, 2D CFI is interpolating between 2 frames to create more. It determines which direction (horizontal and/or vertical) the movement is and ads incremental steps between the frames. This description is very basic, but generally correct.

For 3D, it's not just looking for movement horizontally or vertically, but it also needs to decide if the movement is "inward" or "outward" on the Z axis. I'm going to generally say 3D has left and right frames (for each eye) and ignore whether they are encoded as top/bottom, left/right, mixed or whatever. So there is the current frame, with left and right (call it C.L and C.R) and the next frame with left and right (N.L and N.R). At a minimum the CFI processing needs to now compare C.L to N.L as well as C.R to N.R. One could guess this requires 2x the processing if each is full resolution per eye.

So I wonder what video processors actually understand CFI for 3D or whether they are "cheating" and just doing traditional 2D CFI on 3D content. Perhaps the processors used by Epson don't understand 3D CFI so they just turned it off. Perhaps the one used by Panny doesn't understand it and they are cheating and left it on... or perhaps it DOES understand 3d and does a good job.

I'd like to find out...

Just some random thoughts.

... Altan
post #39 of 3320
I found this info that may better help us understand what the 6010 is all about. It is a bit better than Epson's website, but does not go into processors, etc.
Bill
http://www.txestore.com/Epson-PowerL...1h399020mb.htm
post #40 of 3320
Does the 6010 have the zoom method lens memory feature like the Panasonic?
post #41 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post

I feel the same way. When I go 3D in the next few weeks, I'm going to try this rental service: http://stores.3d-blurayrental.com/StoreFront.bok

block buster online has 3d rentals
post #42 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by studlygoorite View Post

Yes, just ordered my 6010.

I am curious, who is selling 6010(s) to end users? I wanted the 6010 but could not find a seller. I have the 5010 in the basement and using it now. It seems like I am the only one that is disappointing the 5010 does not have CIH (vertical stretch) for anamorphic like the 8700 had. (6010 has it).
post #43 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by harthenry View Post

I am curious, who is selling 6010(s) to end users? I wanted the 6010 but could not find a seller.

Epson doesn't want the 6010 sold direct to end users.

With that said - you must be BLIND - look a few posts UP
post #44 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by harthenry View Post

I am curious, who is selling 6010(s) to end users? I wanted the 6010 but could not find a seller. I have the 5010 in the basement and using it now. It seems like I am the only one that is disappointing the 5010 does not have CIH (vertical stretch) for anamorphic like the 8700 had. (6010 has it).

Harthenry - As it appears you have the 5010 up and running, can you please provide some feedback on it, including what screen you have it paired with. I am strongly considering pulling the trigger this week, but would like a little more user feedback. Thanks to all for their contributions to this great resource.
post #45 of 3320
Pulled the trigger on a 5010 yesterday. It should show up Friday. This is a tripple step up for me.
Entry level Z-4 to an ultra black level Epson.
720p to 1080p
2D to 3D

Also orderd Pollar Express in BR 3D.
I ordered a bigger screen at 120" but it won't show up for about two weeks. I'll have to get by with the old 106"er till then. Can't wait to see this in action.
post #46 of 3320
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmichael2 View Post

Pulled the trigger on a 5010 yesterday. It should show up Friday. This is a tripple step up for me.
Entry level Z-4 to an ultra black level Epson.
720p to 1080p
2D to 3D

Also orderd Pollar Express in BR 3D.
I ordered a bigger screen at 120" but it won't show up for about two weeks. I'll have to get by with the old 106"er till then. Can't wait to see this in action.

I assume you ordered some 3D glasses to enjoy Polar Express since they are not included with the 5010.
post #47 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I assume you ordered some 3D glasses to enjoy Polar Express since they are not included with the 5010.

Yes, just two sets though. I'd like to get a couple of the smaller Panny 3rd gens when they are available. The larger Epsons will be good for me and friends who wear glases. The Panny's will be best for others/kids who don't wear glasses.
post #48 of 3320
Speaking of glasses, does anyone know if the Panny 3d Glasses(no sure what gen mine are but i bought them last Xmas) are comaptible with the Epson??

I have 4 of these glasses and is was to be my determining factor on buying the Panny 7000m but if they work with the epson i might be swayed to go with the 5010...
post #49 of 3320
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevsim View Post

Speaking of glasses, does anyone know if the Panny 3d Glasses(no sure what gen mine are but i bought them last Xmas) are comaptible with the Epson??

I have 4 of these glasses and is was to be my determining factor on buying the Panny 7000m but if they work with the epson i might be swayed to go with the 5010...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...88&postcount=1
post #50 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

Pixel Alignment:
I played with the pixel alignment and here's how it works.
*My red was off about 1/2 pixel to the left. Other 2 panels where aligned with each other.

1. You first choose a panel color.
Either Red or Blue. Green can not be adjusted but it doesn't matter as it's used at the center point to move the other 2 panels.

2. You then adjust the panel in each of the four corners Vertically and Horizontally.
I believe the panel movement is in 1/20 of a pixel movement. It's definitely fine movement and a lot less than 1 pixel.

3. Then you will be prompted to select a section on the grid to finish the alignment.
I picked the worst red offset which was near the middle.
A "+" will be displayed at the grid allowing you to see the panel movement.
Once done, I had virtually perfect convergence.

How do you enter pixel alignment? I can't find anything in the manual.
post #51 of 3320
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobchak View Post

How do you enter pixel alignment? I can't find anything in the manual.

It's not in the manual... yet but easy to find.
It's located in I believe the 3rd or 4th main menu item from the top.
You'll see the LCD Alignment option.
Once you enter it, you enable it, select a panel to adjust then start.
post #52 of 3320
Quote:

my bad, thanks
post #53 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrauss View Post

Harthenry - As it appears you have the 5010 up and running, can you please provide some feedback on it, including what screen you have it paired with. I am strongly considering pulling the trigger this week, but would like a little more user feedback. Thanks to all for their contributions to this great resource.

I looked long at the getting the 8700UB because I was setting up a 2.35 system and wanted anamorphic support.

I wanted an AT (acoustically transparent) 2.35 screen to provide me the best cinematic experience, however, they seem too expensive. Then, I had the opportunity to speak with James from Jamestown screens, and he mentioned he was interested in working with Seymour (AT fabric/screen people), and between the two of them, Jamestown decided to start creating AT screens. (I have one of his first AT 2.35 screens). It is a 120" 16x9 which results in a 155" 2.35. For the price -- this is an awesome screen.

My DIY lens for horizontal stretch was created using two anti-reflective coated prisms. The leading prism (closest to the projector) is a little smaller than the trailing prism. $150 for the prisms plus a weekend building a box. I have not had the opportunity to use it with the 5010 yet, because....

After watching various videos interviewing Epson people, it was "understood" the 5010 was the next gen 8700. Therefore, I decided to wait for the 5010 (quality and specs are other places). Unfortunately, the 5010 does not support anamorphic like the 8700. With that said, I am purchasing a vertical stretch scaler from primedtv.

The primedtv will be here in a couple days, and I will give you the 411 on that. I also purchased the primedtv unit because I am an OTA (over the air) guy when it comes to watching TV. OTA provides you about 20 Mbits of streaming data while cable provides approx 16 MBits (the bigger the screen the bigger the difference). Again, for me, OTA for sports vs. cable is the difference between evening and day. (not necessarily night and day )

I can provide more info if you wish....
post #54 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

What I'm posting is pure speculation... But having written that...

Perhaps the one used by Panny doesn't understand it and they are cheating and left it on....

... Altan

I'm guessing this is the one.
post #55 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by harthenry View Post

I am curious, who is selling 6010(s) to end users? I wanted the 6010 but could not find a seller. I have the 5010 in the basement and using it now. It seems like I am the only one that is disappointing the 5010 does not have CIH (vertical stretch) for anamorphic like the 8700 had. (6010 has it).

From my dealer, for a very good price.
post #56 of 3320
I currently have a Sanyo Z2000.. I've been looking for an upgrade. If my main concern is 2D and black levels, how will the 5010 compare? I'm not too worried about the 3D but figure since I'm going to buy a new one that it should probably support it if not just for my kids enjoyment.
post #57 of 3320
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyGuy311 View Post

I currently have a Sanyo Z2000.. I've been looking for an upgrade. If my main concern is 2D and black levels, how will the 5010 compare? I'm not too worried about the 3D but figure since I'm going to buy a new one that it should probably support it if not just for my kids enjoyment.

I upgraded from a Z2000 to 8350 and it had better blacks and PQ.
The 5010 has very noticeable black level/contrast increase over the 8350.

Only thing that may bother you is the fan in normal mode is louder than the Z2000.
In ECO mode, it's as quiet as the Z2000 ECO mode.
The iris noise is about the same.
post #58 of 3320
I need some advice. I'm having a really hard time finding an "authorized Epson dealer" here in Utah that is worth crap (most of them won't even return my calls or emails). I'm looking at possibly purchasing a Pro Cinema 6010, but, no, I'm not paying $4300 for one. I can't find a dealer that will sell it for less than that here in Utah. So, what are my options? Home Cinema projectors are so easy to buy from online vendors, but not so with the Pro Cinema line.

I did see a link to a vendor on the East Coast, but there has to be an easier way to purchase this projector.
post #59 of 3320
I have to double-check but I think my BB Magnolia Design center quoted me $3600 when calling them this afternoon.
post #60 of 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricwhite View Post

I need some advice. I'm having a really hard time finding an "authorized Epson dealer" here in Utah that is worth crap (most of them won't even return my calls or emails). I'm looking at possibly purchasing a Pro Cinema 6010, but, no, I'm not paying $4300 for one. I can't find a dealer that will sell it for less than that here in Utah. So, what are my options? Home Cinema projectors are so easy to buy from online vendors, but not so with the Pro Cinema line.

I did see a link to a vendor on the East Coast, but there has to be an easier way to purchase this projector.

I'd start with a call to AVS.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP › Official Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010 / 6010 thread