or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Greensboro, NC - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 342

post #10231 of 11121
I despise stretched 4:3 to a 16:9 display. Much prefer everything to be displayed in it's proper aspect ratio - even satellite. I'll live with black bars on the sides rather than have the distorted 4:3.
post #10232 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooper View Post

I despise stretched 4:3 to a 16:9 display. Much prefer everything to be displayed in it's proper aspect ratio - even satellite. I'll live with black bars on the sides rather than have the distorted 4:3.

That's a personal pet peeve of mine. I hate it when you go to a restaurant or a hotel where they have installed a high-def TV, but they only have baisc cable in standard def. Everything is stretch out so the people look 30 lbs. overweight.
post #10233 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by torridn View Post

That's a personal pet peeve of mine. I hate it when you go to a restaurant or a hotel where they have installed a high-def TV, but they only have baisc cable in standard def. Everything is stretch out so the people look 30 lbs. overweight.
Yes, and you think at least the local network affiliates would be pased through in clear qam, but they are not.
post #10234 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by torridn View Post

That's a personal pet peeve of mine. I hate it when you go to a restaurant or a hotel where they have installed a high-def TV, but they only have baisc cable in standard def. Everything is stretch out so the people look 30 lbs. overweight.
Yes, and you think at least the local network affiliates would be pased through in clear qam, but they are not.

They usually are, but the cablecos do not make that fact widely known.
post #10235 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

They usually are, but the cablecos do not make that fact widely known.
But a lot of hotels have their own in house distribution system, and the clear qam locals in HD are not offered. Just stretched SD on a widescreen TV. Why have a nice TV but a lousy set up?
post #10236 of 11121

Clear QAM for the local broadcast stations will vanish around the time when analog cable vanishes.

The cable companies want to encrypt everything to reduce service theft and to force all their customers to pay a few dollars per month per set to rent adapters or converters.

The FCC may have already given approval for cable systems that are all-digital to encrypt the local stations.

 

Although cable TV has been losing subscribers, the cable companies still have a lot of influence with the FCC.

 

The cable companies have even been able to make it difficult for customers to use cable cards, despite the FCC regulation that was designed to make sure that cable cards would be viable.

The cable companies do things like not allowing self installs of cable cards or trying to get customers to just go ahead and get a set-top box with the higher rental fee.

post #10237 of 11121
Cable likes you to have their cable converter so that you have access to adult pay channels and pay per view movie channels as well as them being able to track what channels you watch as the converters have a return feed built-in. Some of the boxes I have heard, (not sure how true it might be) may have cameras and mics in them too.eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #10238 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

But a lot of hotels have their own in house distribution system, and the clear qam locals in HD are not offered. Just stretched SD on a widescreen TV. Why have a nice TV but a lousy set up?

I know people who still do not understand what HD really is, and when I try to explain it, they won't listen and keep telling me there is no difference...rolleyes.gif

Some people are just ignorant.
post #10239 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

But a lot of hotels have their own in house distribution system, and the clear qam locals in HD are not offered. Just stretched SD on a widescreen TV. Why have a nice TV but a lousy set up?

I know people who still do not understand what HD really is, and when I try to explain it, they won't listen and keep telling me there is no difference...rolleyes.gif

Some people are just ignorant.

 

It's not ignorance. Most people can tell the difference between SD and HD, especially when they see the two on the same set or side by side on different sets.

 

But, face it. The cable and satellite companies charge a lot of money for any kind of package that includes HD.

Even analog cable has become expensive, even though that will soon be phased out.

 

Some people don't want to pay for HD through digital cable or satellite, but they don't want to have the hassle of OTA or clear QAM either. So, they just live with analog cable showing SD images. If people keep telling them how wonderful HD is, their natural response is to say that SD is fine. Remember that even stretched SD images are better than what many people saw for years and years.

 

When cable companies finally get rid of analog and try to charge people more money for digital packages, there is going to be a consumer revolt unless the cable companies are finally smart enough to start offering some lower cost packages with fewer channels.

post #10240 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

It's not ignorance. Most people can tell the difference between SD and HD, especially when they see the two on the same set or side by side on different sets.

But, face it. The cable and satellite companies charge a lot of money for any kind of package that includes HD.
Even analog cable has become expensive, even though that will soon be phased out.

Some people don't want to pay for HD through digital cable or satellite, but they don't want to have the hassle of OTA or clear QAM either. So, they just live with analog cable showing SD images. If people keep telling them how wonderful HD is, their natural response is to say that SD is fine. Remember that even stretched SD images are better than what many people saw for years and years.

When cable companies finally get rid of analog and try to charge people more money for digital packages, there is going to be a consumer revolt unless the cable companies are finally smart enough to start offering some lower cost packages with fewer channels.

You may be right. But there doesn't seem to be a model that cable companies have for reduction in cost and service. But, until after WW2, most retailers had a problem with Fair Trade pricing, and such things as "prices higher west of the Mississippi". It took some adventurers seeing what they could do, but all that is over. The break might come if some local governments, in response to consumer complaint, allowed free trade supply of programming. If viewers were able to contract for 15 channels at an acceptable price, other jurisdictions might see an advantage in following..
post #10241 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

The cable companies have even been able to make it difficult for customers to use cable cards, despite the FCC regulation that was designed to make sure that cable cards would be viable.
The cable companies do things like not allowing self installs of cable cards or trying to get customers to just go ahead and get a set-top box with the higher rental fee.

Unless things have changed recently, I don't think TWC (in the Triad) allows cable cards inside the newer TVs. At least this is what I was told last year when I inquired about it.

They do provide cable cards for external devices, like a customer's TiVo box. The cable card is provided along with a tuning adaptor box. But it's a joke to get it all set up as it seems most cable installers don't know a thing about how to make the cable cards function with digital cable offered by TWC. I had this experience last year when I bought a TiVo. And when I got TWC to my home, it took them hours to get it set up while the rep made a large number of calls back and forth to tech support.
post #10242 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post

 


You may be right. But there doesn't seem to be a model that cable companies have for reduction in cost and service.

 

 

If viewers were able to contract for 15 channels at an acceptable price, other jurisdictions might see an advantage in following..

 

In many markets, you can get more than 15 channels OTA via antenna.

Maybe broadcasters should do more to publicize that fact and to market TV antennas.

It would help if TV stations offered better programming, too, and got rid of the reality junk.

post #10243 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

In many markets, you can get more than 15 channels OTA via antenna.
Maybe broadcasters should do more to publicize that fact and to market TV antennas.
It would help if TV stations offered better programming, too, and got rid of the reality junk.

Oh, I am sure that if we were to publicize free OTA, we would hear about it from our paying clients like TWC..(and others)....rolleyes.gif
post #10244 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Oh, I am sure that if we were to publicize free OTA, we would hear about it from our paying clients like TWC..(and others)....rolleyes.gif

Let them complain. It isn't up to them.
post #10245 of 11121
Go in tomorrow and see if your GSM agrees with that line of thought..wink.gif
post #10246 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Go in tomorrow and see if your GSM agrees with that line of thought..wink.gif

If I were free to talk. smile.gif
post #10247 of 11121

The viewing public has no way of knowing how much it costs a local station to obtain and broadcast the shows that it airs, and the public has no way of knowing how much local stations receive from cable companies in retransmission fees.

 

Maybe local stations should try having pledge drives, just like public television!

post #10248 of 11121
No beg-a-thons please.smile.gif haha

Now if it's for sick children, like WCTI does for cystic fibrosis, that's different.
post #10249 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

Maybe local stations should try having pledge drives, just like public television!

The beg-a-thons are what killed PBS if you ask me..(that and being a dinosaur..) smile.gif
post #10250 of 11121

Sometimes the pledge drives are a bit long, but at least public television does not have cheesy reality shows.

Then again, it is not trying to get as large an audience as the commercial broadcast networks.

post #10251 of 11121
i bet the "tv for the blind" descriptions on the simpsons suprised some people tonight on 8.1.
post #10252 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by amos1001 View Post

i bet the "tv for the blind" descriptions on the simpsons suprised some people tonight on 8.1.

 

Do you mean DVS?

 

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/60097/networks-set-to-launch-video-descriptions

post #10253 of 11121

yes, DVS. but Fox has had this on the simpsons for at least a year. i first saw it on wccb 18.2.

it's on family guy tonight too. that's new, i think. of course it's certainly not supposed to be on 8.1's main channel.
post #10254 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

In many markets, you can get more than 15 channels OTA via antenna.
Maybe broadcasters should do more to publicize that fact and to market TV antennas.
It would help if TV stations offered better programming, too, and got rid of the reality junk.

Of course. I was suggesting customers might be able someday select subscription services a la carte. That would obviously bring down the cable industry as we now know it.
post #10255 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

If I were free to talk. smile.gif

I guess it's like a double edged sword that cuts both ways! Understandably, broadcasters don't want to bite the hands that feed them (cable and satellite companies). But at the same time, if those broadcast towers didn't exist, it would change the unique character of local broadcasters and become a game changer for sure.
post #10256 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post

I guess it's like a double edged sword that cuts both ways! Understandably, broadcasters don't want to bite the hands that feed them (cable and satellite companies). But at the same time, if those broadcast towers didn't exist, it would change the unique character of local broadcasters and become a game changer for sure.

Yes, without the towers and transmitters, there would be no need for station employees, or, the station. In my case, probably no need for the viewer.
post #10257 of 11121
Bounce TV's website indicates that 20-4 will be adding the network, if it hasn't already.

- Trip
post #10258 of 11121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Bounce TV's website indicates that 20-4 will be adding the network, if it hasn't already.
- Trip

Bounce started on 20.4 at the beginning of last week.
post #10259 of 11121
;)YESSS...Fat Albert in Prime Time...HEY HEY HEY
post #10260 of 11121
This one is more for foxeng, but FWIW, I'll mention it to help make sure I'm not alone... Tonight I flipped over to the FOX8 10:00 News on DirecTV (via Sat, couldn't check OTA) and noticed that the audio was choppy. The distortion sounded like it could be some sort of encoder error?
Not sure when it started or when it went away. I just know it was present at ~10:45p when I changed the channel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Greensboro, NC - HDTV