or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Greensboro, NC - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 355

post #10621 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

What didn't stop the FCC? There was a complex election process where each station got to choose what channel they wanted to be on post-transition. To my knowledge, no station was "forced" to VHF though many believed the hype that it was "beachfront property" and chose VHF based on that.

- Trip
WLOS and WSPA were forced to return to VHF because no UHF channels were available, and their temporary channels above 50 were eliminated. RF7 has a good signal, but 13 is problematic in Upstate SC due to a null in their directional antenna to protect WBTW in Florence, also RF13. Too bad WLOS could not have a better signal atop Mt. Pisgah, as their height is a major advantage. Their reception was much better on UHF.
post #10622 of 11118
Either station could have chosen to give up the in-core VHF channels during the election process, but both chose to elect channels 13 and 7, respectively.

- Trip
post #10623 of 11118
Any HDTV you can make it any size you want.Same with converter boxes just mash a button.
post #10624 of 11118
The Fox8 News on 8.2 is not showing in 16x9. It's taking the 16x9 picture and pillar boxing it. The commercials are being displayed properly (16:9 full screen).
post #10625 of 11118
FOXENG will fix it.. for now.."just mash a button." tongue.gif
post #10626 of 11118
I wish I could 'just mash a button' to fix my problem. I am missing both VHF channels I get ( 9 & 12 ) all of a sudden after rewiring my antenna... Something is killing the VHF and I can't find what it is!!!!!!! The UHF is normal.
post #10627 of 11118
Sony Pictures Television announces getTV, a new US digital TV network for classic Hollywood movies

http://thenextweb.com/media/2013/04/22/sony-announces-gettv-a-new-us-digital-tv-network-for-classic-hollywood-movies/
post #10628 of 11118
How do you know a local channel in your area is adding it?
post #10629 of 11118
When a station announces they are adding it. You will not know before then.
post #10630 of 11118
If it was me I would take down antenna or if you can get to it while it's still up put a new matching transformer on antenna they go bad from time to time .
post #10631 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel 24 View Post

If it was me I would take down antenna or if you can get to it while it's still up put a new matching transformer on antenna they go bad from time to time .



Pre-amp gone bad... Winegard. Not passing vhf. Dont know why it died... I've had two fail on me in the last year.
post #10632 of 11118
Winegard are pretty good after storms i have had them go bad not work at all unplug them in the morning, plug them back in when i get home from work they work like there brand new.Must reset something when you unplug them
post #10633 of 11118
I believe I have a coax problem. I tried the FM radio trick, and I get very bad reception, even on locals right down the road. So I tune to 100.7, which is 80 miles out, and I have one of those push on short coax cables connected to my stereo. When I touch the center conductor to the side of a barrel connector I have on the push coax, I get perfect FM stereo. So the Amp MUST be working, but passing signal down the shielding of the coax somewhere along the way. I am also wondering if I let one of the hairs of the coax touch the center conductor when I put on the fitting. The only one left to change would be at the balun. I already changed all the others I can get to easily.

Does this sound right? I'll try swapping coax next and see what transpires.
post #10634 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

I believe I have a coax problem. I tried the FM radio trick, and I get very bad reception, even on locals right down the road. So I tune to 100.7, which is 80 miles out, and I have one of those push on short coax cables connected to my stereo. When I touch the center conductor to the side of a barrel connector I have on the push coax, I get perfect FM stereo. So the Amp MUST be working, but passing signal down the shielding of the coax somewhere along the way. I am also wondering if I let one of the hairs of the coax touch the center conductor when I put on the fitting. The only one left to change would be at the balun. I already changed all the others I can get to easily.

Does this sound right? I'll try swapping coax next and see what transpires.


Yeah, first thing might be to use the old coax if you still have it, and see if there is an improvement.. If so, then you will have a connector problem most likely. That sure has happened to me. I wouldn't advise this for anyone else, but, I prefer to use short factory fitted lengths cur in half and spliced to a longer length rather than put on a connector.
post #10635 of 11118
post #10636 of 11118

Bob, we must sub to the same email newsletter!!

And, WDBJ (Roanoke), if you had any thoughts of doing the same you might want to think long and hard.
post #10637 of 11118
From VA don't think 7 will mess with Andy..Us mountain folk wouldn't allow it.
post #10638 of 11118
Can you pick up 7 in Morganton .
post #10639 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel 24 View Post

Can you pick up 7 in Morganton .
If you're talking about Morganton, NC, then you can reportedly receive WSPA on RF7 from Greenville-Spartanburg, SC.
post #10640 of 11118
They were probably talking about WDBJ ch 7, which still shows Andy Griffith at 5:30.
post #10641 of 11118
Why does WXLV have a thin, black bar at the top and the whole picture is shifted down? The black line is a little over an inch wide on my 42" LG TV. I rarely watch WXLV because it is a joke of a channel so I am not sure how long it's been there, or if it's permanent, but WTVD was acting up OTA for a spell during the Celtics game. WTVD and WSET (and every other channel, OTA and cable) lack this line... I saw this line the other night on Kimmel, too.
post #10642 of 11118
I forgot to mention that 11 years ago yesterday (April 29) at 5pm, WGHP-DT channel 35 hit the air for the first time with 4.2kw of power with an antenna at 950 ft. The first program was the FOX8 5 O'clock News. The video format was 480p, the standard of the FOX O & O's at the time. It would be another 7 months before 16:9 widescreen was started and was only on FOX network programming.

We have certainly come a long way in just 11 years from no digital TV of any kind to where we are today.
post #10643 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

I forgot to mention that 11 years ago yesterday (April 29) at 5pm, WGHP-DT channel 35 hit the air for the first time with 4.2kw of power with an antenna at 950 ft. The first program was the FOX8 5 O'clock News. The video format was 480p, the standard of the FOX O & O's at the time. It would be another 7 months before 16:9 widescreen was started and was only on FOX network programming.

We have certainly come a long way in just 11 years from no digital TV of any kind to where we are today.
Hopefully the FCC won't screw this up with reallocation. mad.gif
post #10644 of 11118
With FOX moving to WJZY, there may be a chance that some folks on the eastern side of Charlotte may tune to WGHP for FOX programming rather than RF47, which apparently may have some nulls in certain areas. I used to get analog 8 good in Concord, but had to carefully aim to avoid cochannel interference from analog 9. So RF35 may have a good signal in some of these locations, possibly Concord, Salisbury, Albemarle, Monroe. I believe WCCB may have a stronger signal than WJZY in some areas east of Charlotte, so with the change to CW some antenna viewers may get WGHP better than WJZY for FOX. But with a good antenna you can probably get both.
post #10645 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

With FOX moving to WJZY, there may be a chance that some folks on the eastern side of Charlotte may tune to WGHP for FOX programming rather than RF47, which apparently may have some nulls in certain areas. I used to get analog 8 good in Concord, but had to carefully aim to avoid cochannel interference from analog 9. So RF35 may have a good signal in some of these locations, possibly Concord, Salisbury, Albemarle, Monroe. I believe WCCB may have a stronger signal than WJZY in some areas east of Charlotte, so with the change to CW some antenna viewers may get WGHP better than WJZY for FOX. But with a good antenna you can probably get both.

I'm between Charlotte and GSO (in Mocksville) and get Charlotte fairly well so that is where I aim and sometimes lose GSO stations, but due to Fox moving to 46, I am in one of those null areas (best I can do is 71% signal), so I will be re-aiming the antenna in the summer to GSO and make Charlotte my less than ideal area.
post #10646 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post

I'm between Charlotte and GSO (in Mocksville) and get Charlotte fairly well so that is where I aim and sometimes lose GSO stations, but due to Fox moving to 46, I am in one of those null areas (best I can do is 71% signal), so I will be re-aiming the antenna in the summer to GSO and make Charlotte my less than ideal area.
Unless you have dropouts, 71% is a decent signal in most TV tuners. Our Panasonic holds onto signals down to 38%, and our Samsung with only one bar. Although with one bar you can expect occasional dropouts, so I don't like to go below 4 or 5. Perhaps a different antenna or preamp would get WJZY better.
post #10647 of 11118
Before I began my illustrious career in the service industry, I worked in a Capitol Hill congressional office a year after college. And I remember numerous constituent complaints when the Charlotte channels were dropped from cable in Mocksville. About 1989 resulting from changes in FCC regulations regarding must carry and significantly viewed status. I don't think retransmission fees were required until some years later. But I remember folks demanding that Congress force the FCC to overturn the new rules. Although all we could do was sympathize and suggest returning to an antenna.
post #10648 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Unless you have dropouts, 71% is a decent signal in most TV tuners. Our Panasonic holds onto signals down to 38%, and our Samsung with only one bar. Although with one bar you can expect occasional dropouts, so I don't like to go below 4 or 5. Perhaps a different antenna or preamp would get WJZY better.

It's okay unless it rains heavy, and then I get drop outs, which won't cut it for me and my DVRs... The issue is a tree in the way pointing towards Charlotte... a little more towards the tree would give me the right angle for WJZY, but I don't think the wife would agree to getting an arborist out here smile.gif
post #10649 of 11118
I wonder if any legislation of this sort could ever become law.

"Under the proposal, consumers can "pick and choose which networks they want" and licenses would be stripped for those broadcasters migrating to cable."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-mccain-announces-bill-address-520082
post #10650 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post

It's okay unless it rains heavy, and then I get drop outs, which won't cut it for me and my DVRs... The issue is a tree in the way pointing towards Charlotte... a little more towards the tree would give me the right angle for WJZY, but I don't think the wife would agree to getting an arborist out here smile.gif
Maybe a 91XG antenna and a low noise preamp such as Kitztech 200 would give you better reception. Sometimes a different antenna can receive certain channels better.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Greensboro, NC - HDTV