or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Greensboro, NC - HDTV
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Greensboro, NC - HDTV - Page 358

post #10711 of 11118
Not quite I get Bluefield, Roanoke , most triad stations. And occasionally South Dakota .
post #10712 of 11118
A group of low-power television stations, including one in Chicago, is part of a high-powered deal that has a lot more to do with gobbling up potential wireless broadband spectrum than broadcasting. In fact, if all goes well, the stations will eventually go off the air.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-20/business/ct-biz-0620-low-power-tv-20130620_1_fcc-approval-low-power-national-broadband-plan
Smart rats, abandoning a very leaky ship, I think.
post #10713 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post

A group of low-power television stations, including one in Chicago, is part of a high-powered deal that has a lot more to do with gobbling up potential wireless broadband spectrum than broadcasting. In fact, if all goes well, the stations will eventually go off the air.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-20/business/ct-biz-0620-low-power-tv-20130620_1_fcc-approval-low-power-national-broadband-plan
Smart rats, abandoning a very leaky ship, I think.

There is some of that for full power stations as well. Smaller stations mind you, but there are a few groups who have bought stations with the eye of selling the license back in the auction. Problem is, the number of stations the FCC had hoped would voluntarily go dark is far from what will. As a matter of fact, most of the investment companies, that the FCC had hoped would jump on this bandwagon are selling out to other groups like Sinclair, NextStar, and even FOX is in the mix. These owners have no plan on selling out, so it is making the FCC's job that much harder, which is why you see the FCC redoubling their rhetoric that, yes, the auction was going forward, as planned, hoping to entice owners to sell out. SO far, that hasn't happened.
post #10714 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

There is some of that for full power stations as well. Smaller stations mind you, but there are a few groups who have bought stations with the eye of selling the license back in the auction. Problem is, the number of stations the FCC had hoped would voluntarily go dark is far from what will. As a matter of fact, most of the investment companies, that the FCC had hoped would jump on this bandwagon are selling out to other groups like Sinclair, NextStar, and even FOX is in the mix. These owners have no plan on selling out, so it is making the FCC's job that much harder, which is why you see the FCC redoubling their rhetoric that, yes, the auction was going forward, as planned, hoping to entice owners to sell out. SO far, that hasn't happened.
I'm sure you are correct.. I can see an ugly show-down coming.
The FCC is free to alter its take on the law, even if it cannot alter the law. Congress may yet re-intervene.
There is no question a number of broadcasters are firm in continuing, some aren't sure, and some, as does Congress, see dollars ready to pick off a tree.
post #10715 of 11118
I am not sure why FOX sold WGHP to turn around a few years later and buy WJZY. Even though Charlotte is a top 25 market, FOX-8 is a leading affiliate and WJZY does not even have their own news programming. But supposedly it was part of a deal so Capitol could keep their affiliate in Raleigh. But the new FOX-46 is expected to launch their own news dept. starting next year, so I am sure they have big upgrades planned for that station. And now I will be able to receive 2 FOX affiliates here in Greenville, SC.
post #10716 of 11118
Does anyone have any recent/current experience with what TWC cable channels are available to internet-only subscribers in the Triad? We currently have DirecTV (and have for about 30 months) after having cable since it first became available (in the mid-70s?). We're seriously contemplating the cost savings available from cutting the cord and using OTA and internet for what we're after. The main thing holding us back has been NASCAR's move from Fox to TNT & ESPN for most of the remainder of the season. I've been searching for any kind of alternate viewing options but have come up empty so far. Tonight, I happened to remember seeing somewhere that people still got the basic basic channels via cable even when they just used TWC for internet. I was guessing that TNT might be one of those channels, and maybe even the original ESPN channel. Does anyone know?
post #10717 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I am not sure why FOX sold WGHP to turn around a few years later and buy WJZY. Even though Charlotte is a top 25 market, FOX-8 is a leading affiliate and WJZY does not even have their own news programming. But supposedly it was part of a deal so Capitol could keep their affiliate in Raleigh. But the new FOX-46 is expected to launch their own news dept. starting next year, so I am sure they have big upgrades planned for that station. And now I will be able to receive 2 FOX affiliates here in Greenville, SC.

According to the trades, FOX is interested in repurchasing some of the stations they sold in 2008. No specific stations have been named. All the LocalTV stations (the company that bought the FOX stations and the old New York Times stations) are currently up for sale and have moved to a second round of bidding.
post #10718 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

According to the trades, FOX is interested in repurchasing some of the stations they sold in 2008. No specific stations have been named. All the LocalTV stations (the company that bought the FOX stations and the old New York Times stations) are currently up for sale and have moved to a second round of bidding.

KDVR and WDAF two of them?
post #10719 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin120 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

According to the trades, FOX is interested in repurchasing some of the stations they sold in 2008. No specific stations have been named. All the LocalTV stations (the company that bought the FOX stations and the old New York Times stations) are currently up for sale and have moved to a second round of bidding.

KDVR and WDAF two of them?

Don't know. No stations have been mentioned.
post #10720 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post

A group of low-power television stations, including one in Chicago, is part of a high-powered deal that has a lot more to do with gobbling up potential wireless broadband spectrum than broadcasting. In fact, if all goes well, the stations will eventually go off the air.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-20/business/ct-biz-0620-low-power-tv-20130620_1_fcc-approval-low-power-national-broadband-plan
Smart rats, abandoning a very leaky ship, I think.

 

It's pretty hard to shed any tears over the loss of stations that mainly show crummy infomercials.

If the stations were showing good quality educational and informational programming that benefited the community,

then the loss of the stations would be a cause for concern.

post #10721 of 11118
WGHP has been sold in a group deal to Tribune Broadcasting. The press release on the sale:

http://corporate.tribune.com/pressroom/?p=5734
post #10722 of 11118
Do you think this will be good or bad for WGHP.
post #10723 of 11118
Good luck foxeng.
post #10724 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel 24 View Post

Do you think this will be good or bad for WGHP.
Hopefully good news but typical of more mergers/acquisitions and consolidation in the broadcast business and today's corporate world. Gannett also buying out Belo. Comcast merge with NBC/Universal. FOX buys WJZY/WMYT. Good luck for FOX-8.
post #10725 of 11118
I don't think it is going to be that much of a change for us. LocalTV has had a contract with Tribune for certain corporate services such as engineering since the beginning of LocalTV six years ago so we are very familiar with them and they us and we use a lot of their configurations in news and production and on air. When they talk about synergy, it is not just a bunch of talk. We already know the players and they know us having worked with us for several years now. Certainly, some of the suitors would have been less desirable than Tribune so in the end, it all works out. We have been told it is business as usual and other than the usual regulatory no-no's that you don't do during the transition process, life looks pretty much today as it did yesterday. A change we will definitely have will be a new General Manager, since the old GM left to go put the new FOX station on the air for FOX back in March. We have had an interim GM who has stated from the beginning he was only here until the sale closed. He recently retired and he has no interest in getting back in full time. So other than someone new in the corner office, life goes on as it has before.
Edited by foxeng - 7/2/13 at 6:04pm
post #10726 of 11118
That's good it's not good when anyone losses there job .
post #10727 of 11118
"The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has received 15,850 complaints about loud TV commercials since new regulations went into effect in December of last year."

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/308905-fcc-receives-nearly-16000-complaints-about-loud-tv-commercials




I actually don't have anything I think I could complain about in this regard. In my little world, I believe the industry is going fine here.
post #10728 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post

"The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has received 15,850 complaints about loud TV commercials since new regulations went into effect in December of last year."

http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-valley/technology/308905-fcc-receives-nearly-16000-complaints-about-loud-tv-commercials




I actually don't have anything I think I could complain about in this regard. In my little world, I believe the industry is going fine here.

It is amazing how many calls I have fielded about loud commercials only to go back and review them to see that they are completely within compliance. We have several ways to check for the loudness of commercials. I do admit that many of them push it right to the limit and those are the ones people swear are too loud.

The problem with the CALM Act is loudness is based on average level OF DIALOG, the spoken word not music (hence the name DIALNORM - dialog normal) over time, not real time so you could have a commercial that is too loud and be completely within compliance. That is the Achilles Heel in the CALM Act and therefore, IMHO makes it total worthless to accomplish what it is intended to do. Production houses know this and use it to their clients advantage.



With this device here, I can look at either channel at anytime in the last 6 months and tell you exactly what the audio level is/was and the average up to 24 hours. As long as the level stays with +/- 2 db of -24db dialnorn, we are legal. That is how it works and how we prove the level isn't outside of the box.
Edited by foxeng - 7/5/13 at 1:57pm
post #10729 of 11118
Loud commercials never bother me..perhaps its because I always hit the MUTE button every break. This also takes care of screaming car dealers and annoying twits singing about logistics..plus the ed spots with his & her bathtubs...biggrin.gif
post #10730 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

Loud commercials never bother me..perhaps its because I always hit the MUTE button every break. This also takes care of screaming car dealers and annoying twits singing about logistics..plus the ed spots with his & her bathtubs...biggrin.gif

How's that "CW" thing working out?
post #10731 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTarHeel View Post

Does anyone have any recent/current experience with what TWC cable channels are available to internet-only subscribers in the Triad? We currently have DirecTV (and have for about 30 months) after having cable since it first became available (in the mid-70s?). We're seriously contemplating the cost savings available from cutting the cord and using OTA and internet for what we're after. The main thing holding us back has been NASCAR's move from Fox to TNT & ESPN for most of the remainder of the season. I've been searching for any kind of alternate viewing options but have come up empty so far. Tonight, I happened to remember seeing somewhere that people still got the basic basic channels via cable even when they just used TWC for internet. I was guessing that TNT might be one of those channels, and maybe even the original ESPN channel. Does anyone know?

I just wanted to check in once more to see if anyone had any info that could help us on this...

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
post #10732 of 11118
I have Directv for TV and TWC for Internet. This is what you get over the QAM without a TV subscription. I scanned at 4:02 PM today.

2-1 CBS WFMY (HD)
2-2 WFMY Weather
4-4 PBS UNCMX
8-1 FOX WGHP (HD)
8-2 Antenna TV
12-1 NBC WXII (HD)
12-2 MeTV
20-1 CW WCWG (HD)
20-3 Estrella TV
26 The Weather Channel (snowy - analog)
26-1 PBS UNCTV (HD)
26-2 UNCKD
26-3 UNCEX
42 TVGuide Channel (snowy, but watchable if you had to - analog)
45-1 ABC WXLV ("HD")
45-2 Zuus
48-1 MY WMYV ("HD")
73 Disney Channel (analog)
87-7 ABC WTVD
113-3 News 14 Carolina
115-3 Cool TV (placeholder, just shows a message about not carrying it anymore)
116-3 TCT WLXI (43-1 only)
116-4 ION WGPX (16-1 only)
116-5 EAS Details Channel
SD primary locals repeat several times, but are omitted as SD is worthless when there is HD for the same thing.

Not always there:
75-5 NY1
85-5 Nickelodeon
102-something HSN

Hope this is helpful.
Edited by ejb1980 - 7/7/13 at 1:20pm
post #10733 of 11118
An interesting read about Chroma Subsampling Numbers Explained.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/chroma-subsampling-numbers-explained/
post #10734 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

An interesting read about Chroma Subsampling Numbers Explained.

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/chroma-subsampling-numbers-explained/

Interesting. That is, if you believe useful offspring can be had from mating NTSC and PAL. I'd think that would violate the basic principle of hybrid vigor. .....
Nice graphic depiction of the evolution of the Arabic numeral "4", also.
The man has expensive tastes in coffee.
But, I was entertained. Thanks for the link.
post #10735 of 11118
Get TV is now on WUVC 40-4 for those of us who can receive WUVC (RF38)
post #10736 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

I have Directv for TV and TWC for Internet. This is what you get over the QAM without a TV subscription. I scanned at 4:02 PM today.

2-1 CBS WFMY (HD)
2-2 WFMY Weather
4-4 PBS UNCMX
8-1 FOX WGHP (HD)
8-2 Antenna TV
12-1 NBC WXII (HD)
12-2 MeTV
20-1 CW WCWG (HD)
20-3 Estrella TV
26 The Weather Channel (snowy - analog)
26-1 PBS UNCTV (HD)
26-2 UNCKD
26-3 UNCEX
42 TVGuide Channel (snowy, but watchable if you had to - analog)
45-1 ABC WXLV ("HD")
45-2 Zuus
48-1 MY WMYV ("HD")
73 Disney Channel (analog)
87-7 ABC WTVD
113-3 News 14 Carolina
115-3 Cool TV (placeholder, just shows a message about not carrying it anymore)
116-3 TCT WLXI (43-1 only)
116-4 ION WGPX (16-1 only)
116-5 EAS Details Channel
SD primary locals repeat several times, but are omitted as SD is worthless when there is HD for the same thing.

Not always there:
75-5 NY1
85-5 Nickelodeon
102-something HSN

Hope this is helpful.
That's great to know you are getting all of those channels with your TWC internet subscription only. I am surprised (but pleased to know) the basic channels aren't filtered out.

This October, my TWC package will be up for renewal again. As usual, they will want to increase my price for all 3 services (internet, TV, and phone). So there's a 50/50 chance I will need to cut off the TV and go with OTA only (as I've done before). Here in Forsyth, I am sure my lineup would closely match yours, except for a few channels to include 87-7 ABC WTVD. I am sure they have taken all measures necessary to ensure that channel never goes beyond Alamance County. You know how they are about those out of market channels on the cable lineups rolleyes.gif

If I end up ditching digital TV cable in the Fall, I will probably also get rid of cable phone and replace it with a ooma telephone. Then the question will be, how much wiggle room will there be on the price for TWC high speed internet only.
post #10737 of 11118

There was a blurb in today's N&O about WNAO signing on in July of 1953 as Raleigh's first TV station, a CBS affiliate, on UHF channel 28.

That's four years after WFMY went on the air in Greensboro. WNAO didn't last long. It went off the air in 1957.

post #10738 of 11118
WBTV in Charlotte was the first television station to sign on in the Carolinas on VHF Channel 3 in 1949. Originally owned by Jefferson-Pilot and to this day remains a long time CBS affiliate.
post #10739 of 11118
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

There was a blurb in today's N&O about WNAO signing on in July of 1953 as Raleigh's first TV station, a CBS affiliate, on UHF channel 28.
That's four years after WFMY went on the air in Greensboro. WNAO didn't last long. It went off the air in 1957.

WNAO TV was the Triangle's first TV station. WNAO ( News and Observer) didn't have a chance. Few viewers had UHF tuners, or converters, and, unless one lived within a very few miles of a UHF transmitter in those days, the best one could hope for was sound and snow.. UHF receiver technology was primitive.
WNAO TV survived a couple of years up against WTVD, but shut down a year after WRAL lit-up.
There was a jump to get into TV in the 50's, but UHF failed, with few exceptions, until the FCC mandated UHF tuners in all sets in 1964.
WTOB TV (channel 26) in Winston Salem was another victim of UHF in the 50's.
There is probably no telling how many millions sank with UHF in the 50's, but it was plenty. I'm sure it was a lot more than was lost by TV stations that tried to go to color in the mid 50's, and found out almost nobody cared.
post #10740 of 11118
It was into the 80s in Charlotte before UHF Channel 36 increased power and was able to have a signal more equal to WBTV-3 and WSOC-9. They built a 2000ft tower and increased to 5 million watts. Prior to that UHF reception was bad. Folks watched WYFF-4, WIS-10, or WXII-12 for NBC instead. WCCB-18 had a better UHF signal, but decreased theirs because it reached all the way to Florence, SC. Also around 87, WJZY-46 signed on with a strong 5 million watt UHF signal and a 2000ft tower. Those Dallas towers today now provide strong UHF digital signals for WCNC, WJZY, and WBTV. Ironic now that UHF is working better for digital than VHF in the analog days.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Local HDTV Info and Reception
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › Local HDTV Info and Reception › Greensboro, NC - HDTV