or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › NJ/DE/PA/MD/NY GTG Interest Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NJ/DE/PA/MD/NY GTG Interest Thread - Page 6

post #151 of 431
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone215 View Post

Late to the thread. Sorry I didn't pick up on this one earlier.
I always read about the gtg's with envy, could not make the trek up to Craigs place in Erie, PA some years back.
Do you have as many subs as you need? I can't offer much to the party in terms of gear as with my back I don't think I could get my SVSPC ultra off the floor if I wanted to. I think it has officially sunk into the rug not to be moved.
In any event I have always been interested in whether or not the 'pro' stuff was different from the home stuff and picked up two powered JBL studio monitors and two JBL 10" subs to put under them, sort of making a nice powered almost full range system. It's used for music only and certainly isn't like the bottom dwellers you guys are assembling, but . . . it might be an opportunity for those who haven't had an opportunity to hear this type of set up.
I still have the boxes and think the equipment would travel well.

Thoughts?

Best Regards and Happy Holidays to all bass freaks.

Hi Bone215,

You're more than welcome to attend with or without that SVS sub of yours. Of course, there are probably plenty of members in the South Jersey area that could help haul the sub if you'd really like to bring it. Just curious - is it the BASH or the Sledge powered version? Shall I put you down as an attendee either way?

Cheers!
Andrew
post #152 of 431
You can put me on the "maybe" list. BTW, I finally ordered a new sub, the Epik Empire.
post #153 of 431
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

You can put me on the "maybe" list. BTW, I finally ordered a new sub, the Epik Empire.

Done. Would you want to bring the Empire? It would be cool to compare it to Mike's Dual opposed MFWs.

Question for all - What time are you guys comfortable with starting? We have a lot of "work" to do, so I suggest an early-ish start. I realize that some guys will be commuting 2+ hours, so we have to be reasonable. Would 9-9:30 work for most of you guys?
post #154 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post


Done. Would you want to bring the Empire? It would be cool to compare it to Mike's Dual opposed MFWs.

Question for all - What time are you guys comfortable with starting? We have a lot of "work" to do, so I suggest an early-ish start. I realize that some guys will be commuting 2+ hours, so we have to be reasonable. Would 9-9:30 work for most of you guys?

As much as the early start on a weekend seems painful, I think you're right about the level of work involved and the need to leave enough time, so sounds good to me.

One other suggestion would be to decide on the sequencing of the subs before all of the gear shows up. There are going to be lots of cool toys to play with, but anything we can do to minimize moving these beasts around will be a good thing (and a time saver). I'm planning on borrowing/renting a hand truck for the day, and will bring a dolly, so hopefully we can all stay out of the chiropractor's office on the 12th
post #155 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman View Post

You can put me on the "maybe" list. BTW, I finally ordered a new sub, the Epik Empire.

Yeah, congrats! I saw your post on the Epik thread. Would be nice to hear it only if you can get it there. We can compare it to the Dragon Im bringing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Done. Would you want to bring the Empire? It would be cool to compare it to Mike's Dual opposed MFWs.

Question for all - What time are you guys comfortable with starting? We have a lot of "work" to do, so I suggest an early-ish start. I realize that some guys will be commuting 2+ hours, so we have to be reasonable. Would 9-9:30 work for most of you guys?

That sounds like a good time to start.
post #156 of 431
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

One other suggestion would be to decide on the sequencing of the subs before all of the gear shows up. There are going to be lots of cool toys to play with, but anything we can do to minimize moving these beasts around will be a good thing (and a time saver). I'm planning on borrowing/renting a hand truck for the day, and will bring a dolly, so hopefully we can all stay out of the chiropractor's office on the 12th

Very good point and a great idea to save time by defining the list ahead of time. I'll also be bring my handtruck and I can also bring a set of movers straps which come in very handy for moving large/heavy items. My thought would be to start with the smaller/less impact subs and then move to the more powerful models. I'm thinking if we start with the Submersives/Caps/Fathoms it may provide an underwhelming effect for smaller subs to follow.

Thoughts?

BTW I've also added my email and cell phone information to the initial post for anyone that has questions, etc.
post #157 of 431
I am depending on a ride so as long as who ever picks me up(Chris ) does not mind, I am OK with that time. I also think going from the smaller subs up to the larger one is a good plan.
post #158 of 431
Have been lurking for some time, and am on the tipping point of traveling the 2 hour drive from MD for what sounds like a really fun GTG. I have a CHT-18.2, and while that would be trouble to get in the car, the Dayton would be easy. I think that would do noticeably better than an EP. Would love to hear the Submersive(s), MFWs, Fathom, and especially a Cap-S.
Also have a PC 20-39 I could provide or maybe unload.
post #159 of 431
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbdman View Post

Have been lurking for some time, and am on the tipping point of traveling the 2 hour drive from MD for what sounds like a really fun GTG. I have a CHT-18.2, and while that would be trouble to get in the car, the Dayton would be easy. I think that would do noticeably better than an EP. Would love to hear the Submersive(s), MFWs, Fathom, and especially a Cap-S.
Also have a PC 20-39 I could provide or maybe unload.

I'd be particularly interested in comparing your 18.2 and/or my 18.T with the Dayton amp vs. the EP4000 if possible. Craig has always said that he preferred the sound quality of the dayton - it's just hard to overlook the raw power per $$$ that the EP provides, which is why I chose it with mine.

As for the PC 20-39, you could always bring it to possibly sell. I was hoping to kind of bring a "Swap meet" feel to the GTG where both buyers/sellers could benefit from a cash transaction (with no fees) as well as no shipping.

Mike - Your house is going to packed with gear, it's going to be awesome.
post #160 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post


I'd be particularly interested in comparing your 18.2 and/or my 18.T with the Dayton amp vs. the EP4000 if possible. Craig has always said that he preferred the sound quality of the dayton - it's just hard to overlook the raw power per $$$ that the provides, which is why I chose it with mine.

As for the PC 20-39, you could always bring it to possibly sell. I was hoping to kind of bring a "Swap meet" feel to the GTG where both buyers/sellers could benefit from a cash transaction (with no fees) as well as no shipping.

Mike - Your house is going to packed with gear, it's going to be awesome.

I know Its a good thing I have that porch area for all the on deck gear or we wouldn't have enough room. If we stage the equipment properly then we can keep the moving to a minimum.
post #161 of 431
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

I know Its a good thing I have that porch area for all the on deck gear or we wouldn't have enough room. If we stage the equipment properly then we can keep the moving to a minimum.

Agreed. So far it's looking like we have:

SVS PC 20-32
Epik Dragon
CHT 18.T Duo / EP4000
Dual opposed MFW x 2 / EP4000
JL Fathom 113 x 1-2
JTR Captivators x 2 / EP4000
Seaton Submersive HP x 2
post #162 of 431
I sent Gorilla a PM.
What do you need attendees to bring?
Are you putting together a list? It sounds as if this is generating tons of interest. You gonna have enough room?
post #163 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone215 View Post

I sent Gorilla a PM.
What do you need attendees to bring?
Are you putting together a list? It sounds as if this is generating tons of interest. You gonna have enough room?

Probably not gonna have enough room but I'm not picky
post #164 of 431
You know what we should do? Someone bring "Y" splitters and run all the subs at once!
post #165 of 431
His wife will probably shoot him on the spot!
post #166 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

You know what we should do? Someone bring "Y" splitters and run all the subs at once!

That's what I'm sayin
post #167 of 431
Thread Starter 
Another thought - Given we will have a limited amount of viewing/listening space in the main room, and out of respect for Mike's hospitality, we should probably set a cap on attendees. I'm thinking 15 is probably a reasonable amount of people. Mike and others, what are your thoughts?

With that said, if your name is on the attendee list and you will not be able to come, please let us know so that we can open up space for someone else.
post #168 of 431
I would also like to join if there is still room

Thanks,

Andy
post #169 of 431
I would rather not put a cap on attendees until we have a firm list. We all do not need to be present for every test. When you aren't testing you can be in the kitchen eating and drinking. If it gets to be too much we can think about a cap but I bet that a few people will bail out when the date arrives.
post #170 of 431
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by njandy View Post

I would also like to join if there is still room

Thanks,

Andy

Added!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

I would rather not put a cap on attendees until we have a firm list. We all do not need to be present for every test. When you aren't testing you can be in the kitchen eating and drinking. If it gets to be too much we can think about a cap but I bet that a few people will bail out when the date arrives.

I'm good with that- really wanted to leave the cap suggestion up to you as its your place after all. I'm sure we can make it work even with a crowd. and you're right, in my experience planning meets/events usually 25-30 percent will back out.
post #171 of 431
Thread Starter 
The Caps have arrived and I've already logged quite a few hours with them. They should be broken in nicely by February.
post #172 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

The Caps have arrived and I've already logged quite a few hours with them. They should be broken in nicely by February.

Thanks for putting in all that hard work ahead of the GTG - it must be a real burden doing that for the group

Looking forward to hearing them!
post #173 of 431
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Thanks for putting in all that hard work ahead of the GTG - it must be a real burden doing that for the group

Looking forward to hearing them!

Glad I could help.
post #174 of 431
Hey guys,

We have a list of the subs we'll be evaluating, and we are assembling a rather prodigious list of subs. Do we also have a list of the associated equipment; speakers, receivers, external amps, etc.? We need to ensure that the other components are equally up to the task to allow these subs to reach and project their full potential.

I know that, in my own system, my subs were not allowed to really shine until they were mated with speakers and amps that could "keep up." When I replaced a set of Atlantic Technology 8200E's, (THX Ultra2 certified, so no slouch in terms of output), with the current set of Triad Platnums, (which have effortless output well beyond the capabilties of the Atlantic's), the output of the subs was finally able to be realized. Prior to that, my speakers were definitely the limiting factor.

The subs we will have at this GTG will have massive output capabilities. We need to ensure the speakers and amps are at or close to the same level, or the subs will be held back, and the evaluation will be compromised. Therefore a list of the asssociated equipment would be helpful.

Just a thought...

Craig
post #175 of 431
^^^

Very good point Craig. The subjective results will be skewed if the mains can't keep up. Our systems are more than the sum of their parts.

Chris
post #176 of 431
Thread Starter 
Agreed with the points above. I don't know the specifics, but I know Mike has an integra receiver and focal monitors all around. I don't think he was running an external amp for the mains, but I could be wrong. They did sound great with his mfws though. Maybe he can chime in with more details.

Also - Hudda/chris I didn't have you on the list yet. Are you planning on attending? Hope to see you there.

Andrew
post #177 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Agreed with the points above. I don't know the specifics, but I know Mike has an integra receiver and focal monitors all around. I don't think he was running an external amp for the mains, but I could be wrong. They did sound great with his mfws though. Maybe he can chime in with more details.

Also - Hudda/chris I didn't have you on the list yet. Are you planning on attending? Hope to see you there.

Andrew

The Focals would work for me - I run Profiles so it would be nice (selfish, but nice for me anyway) to hear them through something with a familiar sound signature. Of course, if someone wanted to bring a Triad Platinum setup to the party...

Do you know which Focals Mike has?
post #178 of 431
Focal monitors as in bookshelf speakers, or Focal Monitors as in these.
http://www.focalprofessional.com/en/product.php
If he is not running an external amp, and he is using Focal speakers, then they are the pro models because they have built in amps. Depending if they are the pro ones, and which ones he has, the SPL is between 113db and 116db. I think everybody here knows how I feel about Focal . If it those in the link I think we should be fine. They are used for mixing music. I can't wait. I am really looking forward to this.
post #179 of 431
I have the bottom of the barrel sib xl's from focal. They keep up with my 6 mfw's fine but they are nothing crazy. They are not in a dedicated room or powered bya dedicated amp. Let me know if this is going to work becuz if it doesnt we might have to think about switching locals or coming up with some better equipment. The plan was to have statements built by this time but nothing ever happens to plan.
post #180 of 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Agreed with the points above. I don't know the specifics, but I know Mike has an integra receiver and focal monitors all around. I don't think he was running an external amp for the mains, but I could be wrong. They did sound great with his mfws though. Maybe he can chime in with more details.

Also - Hudda/chris I didn't have you on the list yet. Are you planning on attending? Hope to see you there.

Andrew

Unfortunately, I can't make it but thanks for the invite. It sounds like a fun event. It would be great to experience the Caps- among others. I'm not familiar with Mike's Focal monitors but having hosted one gtg before, I can tell you time runs out very quickly. I doubt you'd have enough time to set up a different set of mains, integrate them, and then start demoing subs. They'll probably be fine.

Chris
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › NJ/DE/PA/MD/NY GTG Interest Thread