or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Calibrate with disney wow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Calibrate with disney wow

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I calibrated my panasonic plasma using Disney Wow. The settings that I got for contrast and brightness on beginner mode is different than the one I got with advance mode. So which is right one to keep the settings. Also I got the contrast at 90 for both modes but for brightness beginner I got 53 and advance 63. Why are they different from beginner and advanced? The test patterns are different but should the settings be the same?
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

I calibrated my panasonic plasma using Disney Wow. The settings that I got for contrast and brightness on beginner mode is different than the one I got with advance mode. So which is right one to keep the settings. Also I got the contrast at 90 for both modes but for brightness beginner I got 53 and advance 63. Why are they different from beginner and advanced? The test patterns are different but should the settings be the same?

I would probably go with the lower settings. Also, what model do you have? And which mode on your set are you using?



Ian
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Panasonic tc p50s1 model. I used cinema mode.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

Panasonic tc p50s1 model. I used cinema mode.

I'm not sure what they mean by advanced settings, unless there are other adjustments that can be tweaked. I would go with the lower settings, as long as they look good to you.



Ian
post #5 of 13
I haven't used the 'beginner mode'. When I used the 'advanced mode' it gave me the same settings as Spears and Munsil, AVS HD 709 etc - so I would use the advanced settings.
post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
So a contrast of 90 or100 is ok?
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

So a contrast of 90 or100 is ok?

I would try keeping it under 80.


Ian
post #8 of 13
It is OK to see stars above white on the advanced pattern. You can turn up contrast and if you show stars on the left ... that is good. This means your HDTV can produce above TV white. As long as you do not lose the stars on the right, you are OK. The settings between beginner and advanced should be close .... but the Advanced pattern gives you 1% increments which is more accurate than the beginner pattern can provide.
post #9 of 13
It can be....yes.

Newer HDTV Panels tend to limit the amount of control you have over contrast levels.

Meaning, they do not allow you to clip whites as easily as you could in older sets.

Many I have seen will let you turn the contrast control up to 100% without clipping.

For example:

My new Panasonic ST-30 Plasma is ISF calibrated at 100% Contrast.

My older Pioneer KRP-500M is ISF calibrated at 40% Contrast.

So yes, if your TV Calibrates at 80% to 100%, that can be perfectly normal.


Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

So a contrast of 90 or100 is ok?
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post

It can be....yes.

Newer HDTV Panels tend to limit the amount of control you have over contrast levels.

Meaning, they do not allow you to clip whites as easily as you could in older sets.

Many I have seen will let you turn the contrast control up to 100% without clipping.

For example:

My new Panasonic ST-30 Plasma is ISF calibrated at 100% Contrast.

My older Pioneer KRP-500M is ISF calibrated at 40% Contrast.

So yes, if your TV Calibrates at 80% to 100%, that can be perfectly normal.


My set is at 80 which is high enough in the custom mode on my Panny PDP. However, in the cinema or standard modes, to achieve the same amount of contrast, it needs to be boost another 8%. In either case, when using a gray scale test pattern, I never see any blooming even at 100%. So your observations make a lot of sense. Thanks for your input.


Ian
post #11 of 13
Yes, it can be OK. My Panasonic is pegged at 100 Contrast after a Pro Calibration. I got the same setting with Disney WOW.

The reason for this is that newer HDTV Panes are starting to limit the amount of range the end user can adjust. Their thinking is ... it is bad to clip white ... so why allow the consumer to do so. We will just limit the adjustment range so the consumer cannot clip white. This actually makes sense to me.

Regarding Disney WOW "Advanced" settings. The key is to NOT lose the white stars below White Clipping. If you lose stars below the White Clip reference on the right, you are ... clipping white. You do not want to do that.

If you can turn your set up to 100 and not clip white, that is OK. You will see stars above the White Clipping reference on some HDTV Panels. That is OK.


Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

So a contrast of 90 or100 is ok?
post #12 of 13
Both Beginner & Advanced are accurate. However, the Advanced Settings are more precise with respect to the degree of accuracy verses the Beginner Settings.
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBFilms View Post


If you can turn your set up to 100 and not clip white, that is OK.

@RBFilms:

I have a Samsung ES7500 and Marantz NR1603 AV Receiver. If I use the contrast setting from the Samsung TV (without playing with the AV contrast setting) I can get it all the way to 100 and still see stars on the "brighter than ideal white" section.

However, if a leave the TV's contrast setting to 80 (or 100), but then increase the AV Receiver's contrast setting to +4, I can make the "brighter than ideal white" stars disappear into the background whilst still showing "the ideal white star" (barely noticeable by the way) and the stars from the "visible stars" section.

How is this possible? Is my AV Receiver overriding the TV's manufacturer imposed contrast limit you mentioned?

Following on the above, is my contrast setting calibrated properly if:
- I can barely see the Ideal White Star (almost disappears into the background but is still noticeable)
- All "Brighter than Ideal White" stars have disappeared into the background
- All Visible Stars (the ones on the right) can be seen with the left one with a lighter gray than the right most
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Calibrate with disney wow