(High)Time for an UPDATE
I can't believe it has been 13 days since my last post
Sorry but with the swottings and a 5 y/o and a wife and a business to run HT building ran a little slow but it's on track again - here's proof
I got the skirtings and painted them ....... yes?......BLACK!
Here's one of the profile:
All painted and busy drying ... and I'm a little high from the fumes.
And a close-up:
The steps also got closed-up. I stuffed them with the Itchy stuff and sealed and screwed them tight.
The skirting needs to be away from the wall because the fabric panels will be 2" thick and rest on wood strips just behind the skirtings, so that it looks like a normal wall. To accomplish that I had to make a kind of backer-box thingy to keep the skirting from the wall and from the floor in order for the carpet to be tucked under it. This is how I made it:
First I glued and nailed two strips of 2" broad MDF toghether:
And then I glued and nailed on shorter strips like this:
And it ends up looking just so:
Here it is just put in place to see if it'll fit
And the skirting put against it:
"This is the way we stick the glue,.. stick the glue,.. stick the glue! Early in the morrrrnniiigggg!"
If you look again in the picture above, (in case you've missed it), I've used 2 floortiles as spacers under the skirting to leave the gap for the carpet - (as instructed by the guy that'll lay the carpet)
For the skirting at the stairs, I've stuck the skirting together first, and then made the backer-box to match.
The next step came because of my own stupidity.
I thought I'll save time and effort by just letting the carpet butt against the skirting where it will go over and under the steps, but the ANAL-ist in me drove me to just do it propperly and cut out the gap for the carpet to go under it as well. So, after the whole skirting-backerbox contraption was stuck and nailed toghether, I had to wangle it under the big standing drill and use a hole-drill to cut a hole and the use a box-knife to cut away the rest to get it to look like this:
The staples is just to keep the seams together while the glue dries and will be taken out. Lot of liquid nails to keep it stuck forever hopefully.
And stuck to the wall:
And the other side as well:
The little piece at the stage by the door:
This is the opposite side to the door at the stage. I used a rubber mallet to lightly tap the skriting so that the glue will stick propperly to the wall.
All the skirtings will receive a final paint layer after the gaps are filled and edges smoothed.
Sorry for the out of focus pics, I must check each one after I take them, but as you'll know, that rarely happen in the heat of the moment!
Thats all for now. The rest of the pics are still on my camera. I'm gonna upload them now and will try to post more pics later - PROGRESS!!