or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Micca EP950! - Page 53

post #1561 of 1651
the plugs?? how do you use them? are they output or input??
post #1562 of 1651

You plug the HDMI cable from the Micca into it then plug your speakers into the 3 or 4 audio outputs and connect the HDMI out to your TV.

post #1563 of 1651

I personally would not bother to spend money on it. Unless your 5.1 PC speakers are really

awesome I would save my money and buy a reasonable 5.1 sorround amplifier and

speakers.

post #1564 of 1651
Here's a new one... my ep950 likes to now completely freeze in the middle of a video (this has happened multiple times, I've just ignored it) and won't recover at all. It then skips through as many movies as it can and when I can finally back out and attempt to replay the file it tells me it's an unsupported file. If I'm lucky I can just quickly reboot it hoping that it doesn't get stuck there as well. At that point I have no choice but to disconnect the power cord and give it a few minutes to stop being a POS. After that I resume watching my video and hope it doesn't happen again.

I should have listened when you guys told me to return it to Amazon.
post #1565 of 1651
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubsss View Post

Here's a new one... my ep950 likes to now completely freeze in the middle of a video (this has happened multiple times, I've just ignored it) and won't recover at all. It then skips through as many movies as it can and when I can finally back out and attempt to replay the file it tells me it's an unsupported file. If I'm lucky I can just quickly reboot it hoping that it doesn't get stuck there as well. At that point I have no choice but to disconnect the power cord and give it a few minutes to stop being a POS. After that I resume watching my video and hope it doesn't happen again.

I should have listened when you guys told me to return it to Amazon.

That completely sucks. I stop recommending this player and every Micca product as well. I sent numerous emails to Amazon informing them how bad this product became.
post #1566 of 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubsss View Post

Here's a new one... my ep950 likes to now completely freeze in the middle of a video (this has happened multiple times, I've just ignored it) and won't recover at all. It then skips through as many movies as it can and when I can finally back out and attempt to replay the file it tells me it's an unsupported file. If I'm lucky I can just quickly reboot it hoping that it doesn't get stuck there as well. At that point I have no choice but to disconnect the power cord and give it a few minutes to stop being a POS. After that I resume watching my video and hope it doesn't happen again.

I should have listened when you guys told me to return it to Amazon.

This is what mine was doing why I replaced the Sata cables

post #1567 of 1651
Just to confirm the bit about the SATA cable - replacing it made huge difference for the stability of my unit.
post #1568 of 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by speresh View Post

Just to confirm the bit about the SATA cable - replacing it made huge difference for the stability of my unit.

 

That is awesome! I am glad somebody else can back up my findings. So those of you who are fed up with

your Micca EP950's feel free to mail them to me so I can replace the SATA cables and resell them

for some pocket money.biggrin.gif

 

In all seriousness it is a shame that this unit was plagued with hard drive issues due to some

manufacturer supplying them with substandard SATA cables.

post #1569 of 1651
I would like to know if there are some kind of configuration to show the root menu on BD ISO movies. I´ve tried press "Menu" but the option to access the Root Menu didn't appear.
Somebody can help me?
post #1570 of 1651
I would like to know if there are some kind of configuration to show the root menu on BD ISO movies. I´ve tried press "Menu" but the option to access the Root Menu didn't appear.
Somebody can help me?
post #1571 of 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypaul View Post

In all seriousness it is a shame that this unit was plagued with hard drive issues due to some
manufacturer supplying them with substandard SATA cables.

I think this is why we do not see them on the market anymore. Micca knew there were QC issues with the unit. That probably means no more firmware updates for it either.
post #1572 of 1651

Well it's been weeks since I changed my cable and I have not had any more hard disk issues.

In fact I leave my EP950 running 24/7. So basically a simple cable change could

have rescued this product line from eternal damnation.

post #1573 of 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaldini View Post

I would like to know if there are some kind of configuration to show the root menu on BD ISO movies. I´ve tried press "Menu" but the option to access the Root Menu didn't appear.
Somebody can help me?

No this player does not support the displaying of the native Blu-Ray menu

post #1574 of 1651
Thanks. I have an of official position by Micca.
Just in case if you want to know.

Realtek based media players do not support full Blu-Ray disk menus. So you will not be able to see the full menu as you would see them when played back on a Blu-Ray player. This is due to the Realtek chipset itself so it's not something that can be provided through the firmware, unfortunately.
What the EP950 does offer is access to older BD Profile 1.0 menus, or a player-constructed BD-Lite menu. You can set which menu to use in the Settings menu of the EP950. Typically, BD-Lite should be chosen for materials released in the past few years. While BD-Lite is not full-feature menu, it will let you access basic settings such as chapters, subtitles, audio tracks, and etc.
post #1575 of 1651
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaldini View Post

Thanks. I have an of official position by Micca.

What does that mean?
post #1576 of 1651

Maybe he looked around their website or emailed them...

post #1577 of 1651
We used this unit with an hdd and hard-wired lan connection, but recently replaced it with a media pc. Micca had sent us a free wi-fi dongle as compensation for difficulties after the initial purchase, but we've never used it.

Now I am trying to set up the unit w/o an hdd using the wifi dongle, but it will not connect. It sees the ssid, but won't connect via password, or by using the d-link web-interface to connect the device using pin or pbc through the advanced wps setup. I don't receive any errors - it just fails on the Micca or times out on D-Link.

Help?
post #1578 of 1651
USB EJECT PROBLEM

Greetings,

I can not seem to get my USB flash drives ejected properly. I press the "EJECT" button on the remote, select the USB drive, I then see a message saying the "BT is being copied" (or something similar). (By the way, I don't do B_it To_r_rent (if that's what BT stands for), so I'm not sure what's being copied.)

I wait, I wait, I wait some more. Nothing else happens. I then remove the flash drive from the port, and EP950 throws up a message saying I've unsafely removed the USB drive from the EP950.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your time!

steady
post #1579 of 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizbuzz View Post

USB EJECT PROBLEM

Greetings,

I can not seem to get my USB flash drives ejected properly. I press the "EJECT" button on the remote, select the USB drive, I then see a message saying the "BT is being copied" (or something similar). (By the way, I don't do B_it To_r_rent (if that's what BT stands for), so I'm not sure what's being copied.)

I wait, I wait, I wait some more. Nothing else happens. I then remove the flash drive from the port, and EP950 throws up a message saying I've unsafely removed the USB drive from the EP950.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your time!

steady

So if I understand correctly you are saying that in the settings menu you have BT service set to off. When you said you don't use BT

that does not tell me if it's set to off

post #1580 of 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lussid View Post

We used this unit with an hdd and hard-wired lan connection, but recently replaced it with a media pc. Micca had sent us a free wi-fi dongle as compensation for difficulties after the initial purchase, but we've never used it.

Now I am trying to set up the unit w/o an hdd using the wifi dongle, but it will not connect. It sees the ssid, but won't connect via password, or by using the d-link web-interface to connect the device using pin or pbc through the advanced wps setup. I don't receive any errors - it just fails on the Micca or times out on D-Link.

Help?

I am not sure how much technical experience you have but I would try disabling all wireless security on the Dlink

temporarily and just have the access point open and see if it connects. If it doesn't chances are the wireless

dongle might be defective. Also make sure the Dlink is not set to allow only specific MAC addresses to connect

to it. If it is you would have to add the Wireless dongle's MAC address to the list in the Dlink.

post #1581 of 1651
I work in I.T., but I'm not the audiophile in the house. wink.gif

An open connection didn't work - I should have mentioned that.

This morning, I plugged the dongle into my laptop, it loaded drivers, and then i was able to set it up as a wireless connection - which worked with the built-in wifi turned off. I think it's a driver issue. I'll try hard wiring the Micca so it has a connection to access the drivers and see what I can do from there.
post #1582 of 1651

You have the latest firmware loaded on the Micca as well?

Are the time and date set in the Micca?

Yes I am grasping at straws with the last one.

It's just that I have seen pc's refuse to connect to access points

due to expired certificates etc. so I just threw the time thing out there.

Lastly did you try a factory reset or firmware reload?


Edited by rypaul - 5/21/13 at 9:52pm
post #1583 of 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by rypaul View Post

So if I understand correctly you are saying that in the settings menu you have BT service set to off. When you said you don't use BT
that does not tell me if it's set to off

Hi,

Actually, I think BT is irrelevant to the solution.

Simply put: how does one perform a safe eject of a USB flash drive from the Micca EP950? Sorry to be confusing in my initial post.

steady
EP950 (with Micca firmware 1.0.4.23)
post #1584 of 1651

To be honest when I do the normal eject procedure it comes back after a few seconds

and says something like safe to remove device or something similar.

Also it does not say anything about copying BT files. That is why I was

curious as to what your settings were in the setup menu.

What steps have you tried already, firmware reload using the rear button etc.?


Edited by rypaul - 5/23/13 at 8:23am
post #1585 of 1651
Yes, I reloaded 1.0.4.23 using the rear button--that's the only process I use for firmware install/re-install.

The BT message was a red herring for this issue. I've disabled BT process, so not an issue.

The issue is that I can't get USB flash drives to eject safely.

You mentioned above:

"when I do the normal eject procedure it comes back after a few seconds
and says something like safe to remove device or something similar."


What exactly do you do to get that message to display?

Thanks,

steady
post #1586 of 1651

I press eject on the remote and select the drive letter

and hit ok.

Is yours acting strange with all usb media? Have you tried

other flash drives or external hard drives to see if the eject gives

trouble with all of them?


Edited by rypaul - 5/24/13 at 6:17am
post #1587 of 1651
Finally got around to taking this thing apart because it's basically not working at all at this point. What is the SATA power cable connected to? It looks like a floppy power, but I'm not sure. I found this cable - will it work for the power end? I know I'll still need a sata data cable

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89&products_id=24164.
post #1588 of 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubsss View Post

Finally got around to taking this thing apart because it's basically not working at all at this point. What is the SATA power cable connected to? It looks like a floppy power, but I'm not sure. I found this cable - will it work for the power end? I know I'll still need a sata data cable

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89&products_id=24164.

No that will not work. I will see if I can find an example or something that will.

As I said in my earlier posts I simply cut the power cable as close to the original

SATA connector as possible and then replaced the end with a female SATA power

connecter from an old pc power supply. I will update this post when I find something

Also make sure the replacement SATA data cable you find is not too long

Edit:- Something like this http://cablenangudi.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008834577341/pdtl/ATA-SATA/1060722837/4-pin-Female-to-15-Pins-Female-SATA-Cable.htm

Or you could buy this and modify the length. Scroll down to where it says picoPSU-150-XT/picoPSU-160-XT peripheral extension cable

http://www.short-circuit.com/product/picopsu-150-xt.html

Or this

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-150-XT-peripheral-extension-cable


Edited by rypaul - 6/10/13 at 3:00pm
post #1589 of 1651
That would require splicing which is not really my fortre. I also don't know if I have a spare PSU lying around I'd have to check.

Leave it to micca to have some crazy BS power connection. This 4 pin header isn't something I've seen before after years of messing around with and building pcs.
post #1590 of 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubsss View Post

That would require splicing which is not really my fortre. I also don't know if I have a spare PSU lying around I'd have to check.

Leave it to micca to have some crazy BS power connection. This 4 pin header isn't something I've seen before after years of messing around with and building pcs.

You would usually only find that connecter in what is usually called a pico/micro computer.

Its not just a Micca thing, even hard drive enclosures typically use that connecter.

I have three lying around my office right now from non-functional enclosures.

I hope you are able to find and old sata connecter. Just be careful with prying the

connecter open and then just gently remove the original cables keeping in mind

the order of the wires. To help you out I will take the pics of mine that I promised

earlier in the thread so you can see what I did with the cable

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home