or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The River in HD on ABC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The River in HD on ABC - Page 5

post #121 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

Um, it is very possible that the recording server went down as well. Battery backup or not, if the server is down, the operating cameras mean nothing.

Sure there might be technical excuse. I just thought it was amazingly convenient that it happened one time throughout the journey. Through the zombie, spirt and ghost attacks, storms, mechanical failures it happened at the exact point it would have been the most useful.
post #122 of 134
^^^ Of course it was going to happen like it did. That is the way the writer's wanted it.
post #123 of 134
So wraps 'The River'. For good, I imagine. The ending scene reminded me of the "shock" ending of a mystery show I actually liked a lot better - 'Persons Unknown'. The producers of that summertime series knew they weren't getting a second season so they at least left the viewer with a shocking and completely unexpected final tableau that they knew they'd never have to resolve.
post #124 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

So wraps 'The River'. For good, I imagine. The ending scene reminded me of the "shock" ending of a mystery show I actually liked a lot better - 'Persons Unknown'. The producers of that summertime series knew they weren't getting a second season so they at least left the viewer with a shocking and completely unexpected final tableau that they knew they'd never have to resolve.

I thought of Persons Unknown as well, but it was originally shot as a 'regular show' , long before the Producers knew what network/timeslots it would end up in .., & they had no idea if it would be renewed. The Finale was left open for a possible Season 2 ..
Although aired in Summer 2010, Filming began in 2008 & wrapped in early '09, a joint Production of FOX-RAI/Italy-Televisia Mexico, & Fox was "Shopping it around" in early '09 ...
Later it was eventually picked up by NBC & aired as a 'Summer Series'..
post #125 of 134
Disappointed in the finale. While I liked the father/son interaction...as a poster mentioned the whole possession thing was just too cliche. So the 'Bouina' spirit is a nasty demon. But we don't learn much at all about Emmet's experiences or the secrets he discovered. One nice tidbit was Kurt praying in Latin. So he could be some Vatican-type secret agent...sent to protect this apparently 'spiritual Source.' Since Emmet never found the Source Kurt didn't have to kill him though it sets up a confrontation with the demon. Some interesting theological undercurrents but I doubt we'll ever find out the answers. Though Deadline reporting Netflix interested in continuing the River http://www.deadline.com/2012/03/netf...ies-the-river/ . This is the type of show that might actually work well on inet broadcast.
post #126 of 134
I was quite thrilled when Lincoln died and thought that the show was actually brave for doing that. Then . . . let down. Also, why do people who have been possessed by powerful demons always feel the need to apologize for what the demon did when they had no control? Is that some kind of etiquette lesson I missed?
post #127 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

I was quite thrilled when Lincoln died and thought that the show was actually brave for doing that. Then . . . let down.

I thought that was ballsy as well. For a time.

During the press run the showrunners equated this with the mass character cullings on American Horror Story, saying they would not be afraid to kill major characters. At the time I wondered if they would run out unless they started finding new characters every other week.

Turns out they only killed the peripheral characters after all. Ones they only met during the journey. I can't recall any of the main cast dying.

Did there used to be another cameraman? I have vague recollections of one of them dying but he wasn't in it long enough to be a major character.
post #128 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post

...Also, why do people who have been possessed by powerful demons always feel the need to apologize for what the demon did when they had no control? Is that some kind of etiquette lesson I missed?

Well, it's like Mom always said:

"If you can't channel something nice, get yourself exorcised and don't channel anything at all..."
post #129 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Did there used to be another cameraman? I have vague recollections of one of them dying but he wasn't in it long enough to be a major character.

Yes, there was another cameraman and after he was killed off in the first episode he was never mentioned or seen again (until a "found footage" cameo in the last episode). His fate couldn't have been more clear had he been wearing a red shirt.
post #130 of 134
Disapointed in that ending all around. Felt rushed like they didn't know what to do so here, kill him, bring him back, love conquers all, you are trapped forever, bye.
post #131 of 134
Yeah, it seemed pretty easy to exorcise the demon of all demons. I still don't know where I stand with this show.
post #132 of 134
There's a lot to overlook in this show, but overall I enjoyed it. I think the one thing I liked was the short order of episodes to resolve the plot. It got to the point quickly, gave background on characters via flashbacks, and had some drama, as cliche as a lot of it was.

I wouldn't mind it showing up again for another mini run of 8 new episodes to advance the story.
post #133 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post

I thought of Persons Unknown as well, but it was originally shot as a 'regular show' , long before the Producers knew what network/timeslots it would end up in .., & they had no idea if it would be renewed. The Finale was left open for a possible Season 2 ..
Although aired in Summer 2010, Filming began in 2008 & wrapped in early '09, a joint Production of FOX-RAI/Italy-Televisia Mexico, & Fox was "Shopping it around" in early '09 ...
Later it was eventually picked up by NBC & aired as a 'Summer Series'..

Didn't realize all that. But the second season, as set up in that final scene, sure would have been difficult to film. If they had been extended, I suspect that scene never would have aired and they would have gone in a different, and "easier" direction.
post #134 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Didn't realize all that. But the second season, as set up in that final scene, sure would have been difficult to film. If they had been extended, I suspect that scene never would have aired and they would have gone in a different, and "easier" direction.

Nah, it's easy. They just find a way to suddenly appease the demons and new channels of river (not on any charts) open up, ready for a season-full of new adventures.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › The River in HD on ABC