or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Epik Legend vs. HSU VTF-3 MK3
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Epik Legend vs. HSU VTF-3 MK3

post #1 of 108
Thread Starter 
i'm new here and new to high end subs but not high end audio have the option between these two subs either for appx. $450 shipped to me...have no listening experience with any ID subs...looking for advice on which one to go with. It will be for both HT and Music use. the legend is an open box and the vtf3.3 is used but in great shape.

I recently purchased a klipsch rw12-d from newegg for 300 but was NOT impressed or satisfied with its abilities whatsoever and found out about ID subs...want to make a purchase asap.

any help on this would be great thanks,

Justin
post #2 of 108
Would help to provide the information in this post.
post #3 of 108
How big is your space? Two are very different subs. The HSU is ported and uses one woofer. Also it's alot bigger. The Legend is sealed with two 12" woofers. Which is smaller. For music the Legend was a great sub. Movies the HSU would proably go deeper. The Legend would go louder though. Even at $500 it is probably one of the best sub out there.
post #4 of 108
Basically, the Legend should have more upper bass output and the Hsu will have more deep bass output. The Hsu is larger, and has a variable tuning. The sound quality on the Legend ought to be very good, but as an owner of some VTF3s, I know that the Hsu sound quality is very good. I can't tell you which sub you'll like more, but I can say I definitely wouldn't trade my VTF3s for some Legends.
post #5 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Would help to provide.

1. Budget: $500 (prefer used so i can get more for my $)
2. Size Requirements/Limits: None size wise, would prefer it to be less than 100lbs.
3. Room Dimensions: appx. 3,000 cubic feet
4. Primary Uses: 50% Home Theater/50% Music
5. Listening Habits: Loud but not blasting my ears out. I want to feel the bass shake the room (or house lol) from the movies I watch and have the bass be tight, fast, and articulate for my music.
6. Appearance Requirements: None.
7. Timeframe: ASAP- as soon as i find a deal that works for me- looking for some feedback first though. don't want to rush for the price of not getting the right sub.

Thanks!

p.s. the legend is new in open box
post #6 of 108
Thread Starter 
just posted my answers to the forums seven question requirement list
post #7 of 108
With that much space I would get the hsu. You'll need the output.
post #8 of 108
Thread Starter 
thanks for the replies thus far...basically I'm limited to whatever deals there are currently available and to my knowledge on the web for ID subwoofers in the $500 dollar range- i'm going to be making my purchase based on what is available since buying new won't get me very much for $500. if anyone has any suggestions for another that would fit into my requirements please suggest them
post #9 of 108
Have you looked at elemental design? They have a ported 10" 300w sub for $450 not shipped.
post #10 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Have you looked at elemental design? They have a ported 10" 300w sub for $450 not shipped.

yes i've checked them out along with SVS, Rythmik, emotiva, and outlaw
but i've limited myself to 12" woofer size and up
post #11 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

thanks for the replies thus far...basically I'm limited to whatever deals there are currently available and to my knowledge on the web for ID subwoofers in the $500 dollar range- i'm going to be making my purchase based on what is available since buying new won't get me very much for $500. if anyone has any suggestions for another that would fit into my requirements please suggest them

I think you would be happy with either sub in comparison to the Klipsch. You might check on the amount of transferable warranty left on each. That could be a good decision making factor.
post #12 of 108
If the HSU 3.3 has all the original packing material, it would be a better choice for your room, especially if you run it in Maximum Output mode and not Maximum Extension mode.

As you are probably aware, the 3.3 is discontinued and replaced with the 3.4 which is out of your price range.
post #13 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

i'm new here and new to high end subs but not high end audio have the option between these two subs either for appx. $450 shipped to me...have no listening experience with any ID subs...looking for advice on which one to go with. It will be for both HT and Music use. the legend is an open box and the vtf3.3 is used but in great shape.

I recently purchased a klipsch rw12-d from newegg for 300 but was NOT impressed or satisfied with its abilities whatsoever and found out about ID subs...want to make a purchase asap.

any help on this would be great thanks,

Justin

There's no comparison between the RW-12D and the VTF-3.3 as I own both. I can tell you first hand the VTF-3.3 is an awesome sub.
Good Luck...
post #14 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post

There's no comparison between the RW-12D and the VTF-3.3 as I own both. I can tell you first hand the VTF-3.3 is an awesome sub.
Good Luck...

This is VERY good to know thank you!
in my mind, from what you said about the hsu and from my experience with the rw12d the klipsch is absolute garbage at 300 versus the vtf3.3 at 450...i'm so glad i found the ID sub world !
post #15 of 108
Thread Starter 
I also just found an SVS PB12-NSD sub for $500...a bit more than the others but anyone have experience with this one?
post #16 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by hksvr4 View Post

how big is your space? Two are very different subs. The hsu is ported and uses one woofer. Also it's alot bigger. The legend is sealed with two 12" woofers. Which is smaller. For music the legend was a great sub. Movies the hsu would proably go deeper. The legend would go louder though. Even at $500 it is probably one of the best sub out there.

+2 on the Legend
post #17 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

I also just found an SVS PB12-NSD sub for $500...a bit more than the others but anyone have experience with this one?

That's probably the older version. I don't remember the specs. Svs have an updated one on their site. You might want to do a search on here to read reviews. That subs been around for a while now.
post #18 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

i'm new here and new to high end subs but not high end audio have the option between these two subs either for appx. $450 shipped to me...have no listening experience with any ID subs...looking for advice on which one to go with. It will be for both HT and Music use. the legend is an open box and the vtf3.3 is used but in great shape.

I recently purchased a klipsch rw12-d from newegg for 300 but was NOT impressed or satisfied with its abilities whatsoever and found out about ID subs...want to make a purchase asap.

any help on this would be great thanks,

Justin

For $300. 00 what did you expect? Also, what didn't you like about the sub?
post #19 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

That's probably the older version. I don't remember the specs. Svs have an updated one on their site. You might want to do a search on here to read reviews. That subs been around for a while now.

just emailed him to ask which one it is. from what i've read there isn't much of a difference b/t the new and old pb12-nsd
post #20 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

just emailed him to ask which one it is. from what i've read there isn't much of a difference b/t the new and old pb12-nsd

Same box but new driver and amp. That's a big difference.
post #21 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Same box but new driver and amp. That's a big difference.

haha well then! indeed it is lol shows you how much i know...(or how much those who wrote the postings I read know)
post #22 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Same box but new driver and amp. That's a big difference.

so i just heard back from him...it is a pb12-nsd/2 with a bash amp...totally different from what i thought it was (pb12-nsd) i guess this one has 2 12" drivers...
post #23 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

so i just heard back from him...it is a pb12-nsd/2 with a bash amp...totally different from what i thought it was (pb12-nsd) i guess this one has 2 12" drivers...

125lbs and it's been around since 07 at least.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=779818
post #24 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

125lbs and it's been around since 07 at least.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=779818

so b/c its not the new pb12-nsd, combined with the sub being so big, more $, and its pick up only status and location being about 3 hours away i'm not going to go for that

i'm pretty sure I'm going to be getting the HSU granted everything works out with the seller...its not on my timeframe but i'll wait as i do have a sub to use in the mean time...

I wish I could get a new version of the SVS PB12-NSD used for $500 shipped to me as I perceive that to be the best of both worlds HT and music...I would do it immediately but I don't know of any available at this time.

Without hearing any ID sub I'm completely convinced that both HSU and SVS make great stuff...I would like some input from the community here on the comparable subs that elemental designs, rythmik, and outlaw have to offer-- A5-350, F12, and LFM1-EX just in case they become available used online for my consideration.

I'm completely limited by what becomes available as I do not want to buy a new sub in the $500 class range and I can't afford getting the caliber subwoofer I am looking for at their new prices.
post #25 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

Same box but new driver and amp. That's a big difference.

The latest PB-12 NSD has a slightly smaller box than the previous generation, so: new box, new driver, new amp.
post #26 of 108
The new PB12 nsd is all new with a smaller box, new driver and amp. It is supposed to match or exceed the output of the older PB12 nsd yet have a flatter frequency response and cleaner overall sound.

Edit: Spyboy beat me to it
post #27 of 108
Im happy with my 2 Klipsch RW-12D's, sure there not the best but 2 for $600, is a good deal. I just hooked up my second Klipsch RW-12D, and i gotta say that with 2 subs in my room makes a difference. I had my girlfriend help me get the sound right, but no matter how i was messing with the phase switch, or switching from one to 2 subs she couldnt tell a difference, i sure could, t.hat HSU sub looks mighty nice
post #28 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

The new PB12 nsd is all new with a smaller box, new driver and amp. It is supposed to match or exceed the output of the older PB12 nsd yet have a flatter frequency response and cleaner overall sound.

Edit: Spyboy beat me to it

It does look like the new PB12 is tuned a bit higher than the old one, so no more sub 20 hz bass. This wouldn't bother me though, I think 20 hz is a good tuning point.
post #29 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

The new PB12 nsd is all new with a smaller box, new driver and amp. It is supposed to match or exceed the output of the older PB12 nsd yet have a flatter frequency response and cleaner overall sound.

Edit: Spyboy beat me to it

that is good to know...seems like it is significantly improved over the previous version...

for now my choices are easy...I don't think the legend is going to be a good fit for me and I really don't feel like driving 3.5hrs. to NH to get the pb12-nsd/2 for 500...so that leaves the vtf3.3

but, i just got an email notification from google that has a link to an ebay auction with an emotiva ultra 12....hmm lol from what i've read that doesn't compare to these we're speaking about
post #30 of 108
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

The new PB12 nsd is all new with a smaller box, new driver and amp. It is supposed to match or exceed the output of the older PB12 nsd yet have a flatter frequency response and cleaner overall sound.

Edit: Spyboy beat me to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post

Im happy with my 2 Klipsch RW-12D's, sure there not the best but 2 for $600, is a good deal. I just hooked up my second Klipsch RW-12D, and i gotta say that with 2 subs in my room makes a difference. I had my girlfriend help me get the sound right, but no matter how i was messing with the phase switch, or switching from one to 2 subs she couldnt tell a difference, i sure could, t.hat HSU sub looks mighty nice

i'm happy you're happy with them
i just can't settle for one rw12-d for 300 when i can get the HSU for 475...i'm sure two of the klipsch's would be much better than just one of them. i know the vtf3.3 seems so beastly...that's why i'm working on getting it as it appears to be my best choice available right now
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Epik Legend vs. HSU VTF-3 MK3