Originally Posted by Mfusick
I am just curious what you guys think is the percentage of people that "buy" movies legally for HTCP vs. download them illegally.
I'd venture that the vast, vast majority of people just buy the movies they want, or rent them. Even Netflix members, which are pretty huge number, is less than 10% the US population, and probably a very high percentage of "tech savvy" people have Netflix so the odds that a large percentage of the non-tech-savvy population (the other 90%) are downloading movies and music illegally seems highly unlikely to me.
But (and I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this), to your question "for HTPC", I would venture given the atmosphere here, that a rather high percentage of HTPC users download movies illegally on a regular basis. I base this on the "willy nilly-ness" with which people talk about how they download torrents or usenet for stuff that's not legally distributed that way.
Frankly it amazes me that people seem compelled to advertise on the internet for all to see that they pirate movies, especially when forum rules prohibit discussion of illegal activity. It's actually kind of disappointing, the atmosphere here used to be openly hostile toward piracy, now at best it seems to look the other way.
If you totaled every movie on every htcp from every user on this forum- what percentage do you think have obtained the media by legal purchase at retail ?
The number of posts I see here about storing their torrents or usenets, or Netflix rips just doesn't give me confidence that a significant portion of content isn't pirated on "HTPC" systems in general.
Me though, I proudly own (and unfortunately have paid way too much for a lot of it) every CD, DVD, BD in my collection. Even the ones I have to order from outside the US.