or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Jaws - Robert Harris review (see post #1 for link)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jaws - Robert Harris review (see post #1 for link) - Page 6

post #151 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Oh so the catering department put out that Jaws video?

Its not the marketing team that speaks on the video. Its the people doing the actual restoration.
post #152 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post


Its not the marketing team that speaks on the video. Its the people doing the actual restoration.

Put out were my words you quoted.
Public relations, not a documentary.
post #153 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

That restoration video was beautiful. I'm envious of the gear some of those guys get to play with on both the video and the audio side. This one should look great.

Agreed. That was just awesome.
post #154 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Oh so the catering department put out that Jaws video?

Oh and you did ask for proof on BTTF and JP specifically, the glib turn around was amusing tho.

If its perfect then great I will buy it. But there is no singular way i would ever buy it on their say so alone.

And just out of curiosity - you would know it was "perfect" how? Have you ever seen Jaws outside of home video. That's the problem here with most folks on these boards - many haven't. Hence they would have no idea what "perfect" was. Many times I've read about edge enhancement and haloes here and when I've looked at those sections of whatever film, it wasn't that at all - sometimes it obviously is, but an equal number of times it's the lighting and what's happening on the film and has nothing to do with anything but that. But it's always best to wait, no? Right now there seems to be an inordinate amount of hand-wringing over nothing. But I do understand that's the nature of the beast here.
post #155 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

And just out of curiosity - you would know it was "perfect" how? Have you ever seen Jaws outside of home video. That's the problem here with most folks on these boards - many haven't. Hence they would have no idea what "perfect" was. Many times I've read about edge enhancement and haloes here and when I've looked at those sections of whatever film, it wasn't that at all - sometimes it obviously is, but an equal number of times it's the lighting and what's happening on the film and has nothing to do with anything but that. But it's always best to wait, no? Right now there seems to be an inordinate amount of hand-wringing over nothing. But I do understand that's the nature of the beast here.

I know someone with a very nice 35mm print, I have seen it with him many times and at a few special showings.
post #156 of 754
Suuuure......
post #157 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Suuuure......

The PCC have shown it many times, in a great double bill with Jurassic Park for example.
As to my friend, calling me a liar is an interesting thing to do.
post #158 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

The PCC have shown it many times, in a great double bill with Jurassic Park for example.
As to my friend, calling me a liar is an interesting thing to do.

More like a fabulist, and nothing interesting about it I assure you, other then you just called Universal's employees a bunch of liars, and you don't seem to have any issues with that, which is far more interesting to me. Anyway,
Even if that print exists, which is a second generational copy[I.E. not exact or perfect] to begin with which deteriorates at each viewing, and who knows how old, won't be even comparable to the newly restored master [from the camera negative] that this new BD's digital scan is derived from. So why don't you relax and wait for the actual product to arrive, and then we can advise you what side dish and wine goes well with that crow.
post #159 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

More like a fabulist, and nothing interesting about it I assure you, other then you just called Universal's employees a bunch of liars, and you don't seem to have any issues with that, which is far more interesting to me. Anyway,
Even if that print exists, which is a second generational copy[I.E. not exact or perfect] to begin with which deteriorates at each viewing, and who knows how old, won't be even comparable to the newly restored master [from the camera negative] that this new BD's digital scan is derived from. So why don't you relax and wait for the actual product to arrive, and then we can advise you what side dish and wine goes well with that crow.

I have not said the disc would be either way, just that Universal have lied in the past and that PR is PR, all this thread was duplicated in the Jurassic Park thread where I caught a ton of crap from people and was wrong in the end.
Oh no wait I was right, same in the BTTF thread and the Star Wars thread.
As for the crow you can eat it or stick it where the sun don't shine if you like.

No one ate crow in the Star Wars, Jurassic Park or the Back to the Future threads but I have to when i have not once made a definitive statement about the disc?
Learn to read, simple really.
If you did actually read the thread? the paragons of virtue Universal have stated:
Its a new master
Its an old master
We went back to the mono
We used the 5.1 mix

Yes that was clear honest messaging, PR people want you to buy their product FULL STOP, they will tell you anything to achieve this.

If its a great Sony like remaster I will buy it, if like Star Wars, Jurassic Park and BTTF its an old bad HDTV master with DNR then I will leave it where it is.
That is what I have said all along, so crow to you.
I do not care if this post gets me banned from my own thread either, as of late any discussion of the actual disc, either first hand or conjecture is frowned upon for film reviews.
I have wen wrong about a definitive statement admitted I was in the wrong, have you?

Again I made no statements definitively bar the trailer colour timing looks like the Sky HDTV version, and do you know what?


It bloody well does.
post #160 of 754
I echo dvdmike007's comments. Universal has been consistently screwing up the BD release of catalog titles and it is quite natural to remain prejudiced about Jaws. I hope with Jaws Universal break that trend.
post #161 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I know someone with a very nice 35mm print, I have seen it with him many times and at a few special showings.

Nice - it's a great show in 35mm! What year is the printing? I.B., Eastman, SP, or LPP?
post #162 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

Nice - it's a great show in 35mm! What year is the printing? I.B., Eastman, SP, or LPP?

1979/80 Eastman (can txt him in the morning and check), I think from what he said it was part of a USA re-release, something like that.
post #163 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

Important Jaws Blu-Ray restoration information: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54937

Read all the way through

Thanks, sounds more promising!
post #164 of 754
Just looking at the cover of the Blu-Ray gets me all giddy. I'm glad they went with the pure old-school poster image, vs some of the awful images used on lots of other Blu-Rays.

I saw Jaws something like 35 times, just in the theaters. It started on it's first release, and every time it was re-released I'd go constantly. It was my first experience of a film creating a whole world to enter and enjoy. It wasn't JUST the shark and the story, but Amity Island itself was so rich and fleshed out, as well as all the characters, that it was a world I enjoyed visiting again and again. And it remains that way now.

The same sort of magic happened with Alien and BladeRunner (and no doubt some other films that are escaping me at the moment).

It sounds like it's going to look awesome on Blu-Ray and I can't wait to go back to Amity Island this summer!

(Actually, since my son became a Jaws fan a couple years ago, I'm pitching a trip to Martha's Vineyard as our summer vacation this year).
post #165 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post

Nice - it's a great show in 35mm! What year is the printing? I.B., Eastman, SP, or LPP?

Hey, Pete. No IB prints, unless they did one in the UK - last IB in the US was The Godfather II.
post #166 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post


Hey, Pete. No IB prints, unless they did one in the UK - last IB in the US was The Godfather II.

There was a small run of UK prints in IB (they were snipped of a few seconds of gore by the censors). One of the guys in the East Coast movie mafia has one and we screened it last year.
post #167 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Oh so the catering department put out that Jaws video?

Oh and you did ask for proof on BTTF and JP specifically, the glib turn around was amusing tho.

If its perfect then great I will buy it. But there is no singular way i would ever buy it on their say so alone.

Exactly. I'm certainly not going to blindly trust some PR YouTube clip of their restoration work. I've been burned so many times by mediocre Universal releases that even for such a beloved film as Jaws, I will not buy it until I hear some informed opinions on how good (or not) the transfer is.
post #168 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Exactly. I'm certainly not going to blindly trust some PR YouTube clip of their restoration work. I've been burned so many times by mediocre Universal releases that even for such a beloved film as Jaws, I will not buy it until I hear some informed opinions on how good (or not) the transfer is.

That is a wise move. All anyone is saying is wait - don't damn before the word is out. Of course, "informed opinions" on the Internet is another story
post #169 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Exactly. I'm certainly not going to blindly trust some PR YouTube clip of their restoration work.

So you actually believe that they are not doing a 4K scan and just resuing an old 1080i master?

I dont believe in marketing people either. Everytime I here the word digital remaster I think of old masters with filters. But when they interview the pros that actually does the scan I have a higher confidence that they actually telling the truth.
post #170 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

So you actually believe that they are not doing a 4K scan and just resuing an old 1080i master?

I dont believe in marketing people either. Everytime I here the word digital remaster I think of old masters with filters. But when they interview the pros that actually does the scan I have a higher confidence that they actually telling the truth.

They definitely did a new, fresh scan of it.
post #171 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

So you actually believe that they are not doing a 4K scan and just resuing an old 1080i master?

I dont believe in marketing people either. Everytime I here the word digital remaster I think of old masters with filters. But when they interview the pros that actually does the scan I have a higher confidence that they actually telling the truth.

You can still DNR a 4k scan
post #172 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

They definitely did a new, fresh scan of it.

Yes, I don't see how anyone would deny this. I'm sure it will look very pleasing on an HD display. I'm just not sure it's going look like Jaws in 35mm on opening day, which is not Universal's modus operandi unfortunately.
post #173 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

That is a wise move. All anyone is saying is wait - don't damn before the word is out. Of course, "informed opinions" on the Internet is another story

I'm not hating on Universal regarding Jaws because I haven't seen the disc yet, but I am hating on them because their track record with non-DI Blu-ray catalogue releases has been absolutely appalling, and they STILL appear to regard grain with barely disguised contempt, rather than treating it as an intrinsic part of the image as filmed.

Time will tell with Jaws.
post #174 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff d View Post

i'm not hating on universal regarding jaws because i haven't seen the disc yet, but i am hating on them because their track record with non-di blu-ray catalogue releases has been absolutely appalling, and they still appear to regard grain with barely disguised contempt, rather than treating it as an intrinsic part of the image as filmed.

Time will tell with jaws.

+1
post #175 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

You can still DNR a 4k scan

And by their admission, they did. So it only remains to be seen how visible the effects are.
If the movie is crawling with slow-motion unnatural grain, like what I hear is the case with the Out of Africa remaster, I'll pass. If you're going to degrain the movie, don't stop half-way
post #176 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

You can still DNR a 4k scan

They certainly can and we cant know how bad or good the end result will be until we get the disc. But I got the impression that some thought the youtube video was basicly a lie.

But even if they gonna use DNR on the new master it will still be alot better then the previous Universal releases.

4K = finer grain = less DNR to remove the grain.

Old scan = videonoise = heavy DNR to remove the noise.

They also stated in the video I linked that grain is important for filmlook, and DNR is used were grain becomes a distraction like in optical zooms.

So when we add all the information, we can look forward to a release thats gonna look alot better then we are used to from Universal (Yes their standard was pretty low)
post #177 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede View Post

They certainly can and we cant know how bad or good the end result will be until we get the disc. But I got the impression that some thought the youtube video was basicly a lie.

But even if they gonna use DNR on the new master it will still be alot better then the previous Universal releases.

4K = finer grain = less DNR to remove the grain.

Old scan = videonoise = heavy DNR to remove the noise.

They also stated in the video I linked that grain is important for filmlook, and DNR is used were grain becomes a distraction like in optical zooms.

So when we add all the information, we can look forward to a release thats gonna look alot better then we are used to from Universal (Yes their standard was pretty low)

I don't trust their PR, simple any definitive statements I made were in the heads of two people only.
I can say 100% that the shots they posted are reframed.
Any definitive statements about 4k or new masters that have been made on this page is taking them at their word, unless they have seen it making a definitive statement is rather foolish.
I can find a video on youtube claiming anything, does not make it true at all, if this was Sony or Fox saying its a brand new state of the art scan people will accept it as they have not lied about that in the past.
post #178 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

I don't trust their PR, simple any definitive statements I made were in the heads of two people only.
I can say 100% that the shots they posted are reframed.
Any definitive statements about 4k or new masters that have been made on this page is taking them at their word, unless they have seen it making a definitive statement is rather foolish.
I can find a video on youtube claiming anything, does not make it true at all, if this was Sony or Fox saying its a brand new state of the art scan people will accept it as they have not lied about that in the past.

This is why people have a problem with your posts. Universal has never, to my knowledge, lied about using an older transfer - they've said nothing but they certainly haven't said a new 4K scan was done of something when it wasn't. I don't believe you'll be able to point out one single instance of that ever happening.
post #179 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

This is why people have a problem with your posts. Universal has never, to my knowledge, lied about using an older transfer - they've said nothing but they certainly haven't said a new 4K scan was done of something when it wasn't. I don't believe you'll be able to point out one single instance of that ever happening.

The BTTF quote says hello, they lied about a new scan. also people? scaling up are we? I care so little about that you think its inverted, I see only two people saying anything definitive and I was not one of them I am saying air on the side of caution as they have lied.
post #180 of 754
Back and forth, back and forth... I know it's not the AVS way, but can we just wait 'til the disc is released and then review the actual product?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Jaws - Robert Harris review (see post #1 for link)