or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Jaws - Robert Harris review (see post #1 for link)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jaws - Robert Harris review (see post #1 for link) - Page 24

post #691 of 754
Thread Starter 
The three I mentioned, Ridley, Tony, Adrian.
post #692 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Specious reasoning? That is what it says to me

It says to me that a lot of people feed themselves garbage, but that still doesn't make it good for them. biggrin.gif
post #693 of 754
FINALLY seen the BD (UK version). Frozen grain is one of my pet hates, but on my 55" display (which blatantly shows up Star Wars and Moonraker's ersatz grain) I'm just not seeing it as Mr. 42041 described it. The grain does occasionally look a little odd, like in the 3 shot of Brody, Hooper and the Mayor before the reveal of the graffitied sign, and there's just the slightest touch of sharpening here and there, but overall it's a terrific looking transfer IMO.

Darker shots have the regulation increase in grain, and fine detail is pin-sharp more often than not. For all of the talk of in-camera filtration earlier in the thread, I don't think I've seen an anamorphic show of this vintage look this detailed before. It doesn't seem to share the same hazy, dream-like look as many of its contemporaries.

The 7.1 mix is what it is. It's not the Jaws we know, but there are moments where it's mightily effective nonetheless, and hearing John Williams' legendary score deftly spread across the whole sound stage is a highlight.
post #694 of 754
BIG thx for the UK review!
post #695 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

FINALLY seen the BD (UK version). Frozen grain is one of my pet hates, but on my 55" display (which blatantly shows up Star Wars and Moonraker's ersatz grain) I'm just not seeing it as Mr. 42041 described it. The grain does occasionally look a little odd, like in the 3 shot of Brody, Hooper and the Mayor before the reveal of the graffitied sign, and there's just the slightest touch of sharpening here and there, but overall it's a terrific looking transfer IMO.
Darker shots have the regulation increase in grain, and fine detail is pin-sharp more often than not. For all of the talk of in-camera filtration earlier in the thread, I don't think I've seen an anamorphic show of this vintage look this detailed before. It doesn't seem to share the same hazy, dream-like look as many of its contemporaries.
The 7.1 mix is what it is. It's not the Jaws we know, but there are moments where it's mightily effective nonetheless, and hearing John Williams' legendary score deftly spread across the whole sound stage is a highlight.
My guess, there are parts that might be hazy not because of filtration, but because a small amount of footage had to be salvaged by the lab after the boat sprung a leak and sank with the camera on board. Other than that, haze is likely due to being out on the ocean with the sun beating down on them instead of in controlled conditions offered by a studio tank.

Now, "Carrie" on the other hand, that was a filtered movie. The whole thing looks like it was shot in the middle of the "National Steam Punk" conference. That movie and "Burnt Offerings" are the dictionary definition of "70's soft filtering".

I'm pretty sure Johnson & Johnson stock went up at the time with the amount a vasoline they must have gone through.
Edited by NetworkTV - 9/5/12 at 12:22pm
post #696 of 754
Transfer's competent for a Universal back catalogue release.

Take that as you like. No more, no less.
post #697 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Transfer's competent for a Universal back catalogue release.
Take that as you like. No more, no less.

Yawn. BIG yawn.
post #698 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Transfer's competent for a Universal back catalogue release.
Take that as you like. No more, no less.
Huh?eek.gif
Universal isn't particularly known for great back catalog releases....
Other than a few instances, I thought this looked stellar in my HT.
post #699 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

Yawn. BIG yawn.
Yeah you are a bit of a bore, aren't you?

And it's hilarious Oink, you whinging about Total Recall but calling this stellar.

Hmmmmm...

To be clear, I don't think it's a bad transfer. I also don't think it's amazing.

Deal with it.
Edited by raoul_duke - 9/7/12 at 9:34am
post #700 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Transfer's competent for a Universal back catalogue release.
Take that as you like. No more, no less.
I think people were hoping for "more".
post #701 of 754
Well it is 'more' compared to the usual **** they churn out.

The closest thing I can compare it too, is The Blues Brothers.

That's a top tier Universal catalogue transfer, as far as I'm concerned. Lossy audio aside.
post #702 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Yeah you are a bit of a bore, aren't you?
And it's hilarious Oink, you whinging about Total Recall but calling this stellar.
Hmmmmm...
To be clear, I don't think it's a bad transfer. I also don't think it's amazing.
Deal with it.

I'll take being a bore over being a boor, a prize that you win handily. Deal with it.
post #703 of 754
*yawn*
post #704 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Well it is 'more' compared to the usual **** they churn out.
The closest thing I can compare it too, is The Blues Brothers.
That's a top tier Universal catalogue transfer, as far as I'm concerned. Lossy audio aside.

With you 100%
post #705 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post


And it's hilarious Oink, you whinging about Total Recall but calling this stellar.
Hmmmmm...
.
Are you implying the TR BD PQ is superior to Jaws?
Say it isn't so.....
post #706 of 754
No, the implication was that your opinion on anything, is to be taken with truckloads of salt. wink.gif
post #707 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

No, the implication was that your opinion on anything, is to be taken with truckloads of salt. wink.gif

Oink simply likes what he likes and isn't concerned with technicalities like films stocks or what the film should look like. Which makes it infuriating when he craps all over excellent discs like Citizen Kane. One wonders why he hangs out at AVS rather than bluray.com, where he would fit in better.
post #708 of 754
Thread Starter 
Jeez the elitism levels just exploded
post #709 of 754
Yeah Mike, that embargo's well over. Both barrels. Go for it. smile.gif
post #710 of 754
Thread Starter 
It is Universal's best looking catalogue release, there is still DNR but they have not gone overboard as usual.
Would it look better without the DNR? I think so, but calling it Universal's best is rather faint praise really.
It looks good but I think it could look better, I own it (I rarely do that with a Universal catalogue title) so that must say something.
I basically stand by my cinema review, it looks good, but it could have looked great in more caring hands and the UK audio sucks big time.
post #711 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

What's wrong with the UK audio? Since it's Universal, isn't it the same exact disc worldwide? I have the US disc and the audio is 10/10, especially because we have the original mono track smile.gif

just the 7.1 no mono track
post #712 of 754
Thread Starter 
Wait, where? I didn't see an option
post #713 of 754
Thread Starter 
Holy hell it is there! Thanks, I heard it was not there and had a quick look when I popped it in and must not have seen the wood for the trees
post #714 of 754
Aye, it's definitely on there. Saying that, I have the Aussie digibook, but the disc is the same as the UK one,(BBFC logo and all).
post #715 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NagysAudio View Post

So is it a reference quality 10/10 release now? smile.gif

out of 10? its a 6.5 - 7 if it is anything
post #716 of 754
Thread Starter 
1kbs on the 7.1 track? yes import worthy
post #717 of 754
Thread Starter 
Universal and other companies have done it for years, Sony and Fox remove features others lower bitrate or lose audio tracks to fit all the new language options
post #718 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

It is Universal's best looking catalogue release, there is still DNR but they have not gone overboard as usual.
Would it look better without the DNR? I think so, but calling it Universal's best is rather faint praise really.
It looks good but I think it could look better, I own it (I rarely do that with a Universal catalogue title) so that must say something.
I basically stand by my cinema review, it looks good, but it could have looked great in more caring hands and the UK audio sucks big time.

I'm sure you haven't seen it, but Harvey is a beautiful-looking transfer and release. Oh, it's a Universal catalog title.
post #719 of 754
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway View Post

I'm sure you haven't seen it, but Harvey is a beautiful-looking transfer and release. Oh, it's a Universal catalog title.

Do not like the film so have not seen it so could only comment on what I have seen really.
But yeah opinions are great, you have one too look!
post #720 of 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Do not like the film so have not seen it so could only comment on what I have seen really.
But yeah opinions are great, you have one too look!

Yes, I have an opinion on a disc I've seen and I recommend it - very good work by Universal. Now if they'd only go back and do The Sting properly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Jaws - Robert Harris review (see post #1 for link)