or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread - Page 87

post #2581 of 3788
Check out Dimensional Optics DLP Link glasses.
post #2582 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Check out Dimensional Optics DLP Link glasses.

They look very similar to the true depth glasses, which I have and like very much. How do they stack up?
post #2583 of 3788
I don't know but the give you a 30 days to try them out.
post #2584 of 3788
iris problem strikes. This has happen twice to me .... My son was playing COD: Black Ops 2 from the Xbox in a online Multi player game and in the pre-game menu everything was good but when the match starts the screen went black. I tried to turn off the DB but that made it even worse in the pre-game menu went black too. I could see that light from the side of the projector so that means the iris has shut all the way to block the picture.
post #2585 of 3788
I kind of had an Iris issue yesterday as well, I think. After playing around 6 hours of Black Ops II and 5 and a half hours of frustration I decided to watch the AMA's. After 5 minutes of watching TV the image dimmed by more than half then went black, struggled to come back on then went black again. I thought too it might be an iris issue but instead of turning off the projector I turned off my Denon receiver and the no signal screen was regular brightness? when I turned the Denon back on, the same dimmed then black image. I turned the projector off then back on and all was fine so I think it may not have been a iris issue but rather some handshake type problem? I'm only guessing but the no input screen went from bright blue to the regular bright no signal message.

So maybe not an iris issue rather a HDMI or component issue. Just a thought.
post #2586 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

I kind of had an Iris issue yesterday as well, I think. After playing around 6 hours of Black Ops II and 5 and a half hours of frustration I decided to watch the AMA's. After 5 minutes of watching TV the image dimmed by more than half then went black, struggled to come back on then went black again. I thought too it might be an iris issue but instead of turning off the projector I turned off my Denon receiver and the no signal screen was regular brightness? when I turned the Denon back on, the same dimmed then black image. I turned the projector off then back on and all was fine so I think it may not have been a iris issue but rather some handshake type problem? I'm only guessing but the no input screen went from bright blue to the regular bright no signal message.
So maybe not an iris issue rather a HDMI or component issue. Just a thought.

i can recreate mine every time when i play the same video. i can launch the trailer for "Brave" on my xbox and it'll clamp down. if i let the video run, it'll cut in and out with the image depending on how dark it is. it'll go from pitch black to normal to half shut to black and repeats. if i cancel the video to go back to the dashboard it pops up right away looking normal. so seeing how it changes repeatedly on the same video, i'd say it's definitely just the iris and not a hdmi handshaking issue.
post #2587 of 3788
Yep, the iris on the W7000 is totally screwed up...
post #2588 of 3788
No issues at all with iris for me...the projector has been flawless. Just had it calibrated.
post #2589 of 3788
Hey guys,

For those that have had their W7000's calibrated, could you let me know what contract ratio's you're getting (with dynamic iris off obviously)? I'm so far getting about 550 in user mode with about 24-25fl (eco mode). I may try another method of calibration tonight to see if I can increase it further.

Thanks!
post #2590 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr6 View Post

No issues at all with iris for me...the projector has been flawless. Just had it calibrated.

how much was the calibration and what did you notice vs your own calibration (assuming you did one with a disney WOW disk or something)?

post #2591 of 3788
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeeker View Post

how much was the calibration and what did you notice vs your own calibration (assuming you did one with a disney WOW disk or something)?

I used the avs hd disc and some other discs like DVE, and just wasn't happy with it. Chad B did my calibration, he spent 7 hours calibrating my w7000. Yes 7. Colors are dead on and it looks really good. I just had it done late last week so I haven't spent a ton of time but I can say for sure it looks so good, and the 3D calibration is amazing, the 3D looks way better and well, more 3D lol. A calibration costs $300-$500 on average and I highly recommend it, and Chad B. He is meticulous and will get it looking its best. Very happy.
post #2592 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

Yep, the iris on the W7000 is totally screwed up...

I returned mine to Amazon today (day 28). Iris would not open after shutting down. Enough is enough. Patiently waiting for RS4810 to arrive . . .

Willie
post #2593 of 3788
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr6 View Post

I used the avs hd disc and some other discs like DVE, and just wasn't happy with it. Chad B did my calibration, he spent 7 hours calibrating my w7000. Yes 7. Colors are dead on and it looks really good. I just had it done late last week so I haven't spent a ton of time but I can say for sure it looks so good, and the 3D calibration is amazing, the 3D looks way better and well, more 3D lol. A calibration costs $300-$500 on average and I highly recommend it, and Chad B. He is meticulous and will get it looking its best. Very happy.

tuning the colors behind the glasses is one of the biggest benefits for a calibration that can't be done with the WOW disk. When the color looks more natural (by compensating for the tint of the glasses) it goes a long way to creating a better 3D presentation.

glad to hear your pleased with the results, the W7000 responds well to a quality calibration.
post #2594 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

I returned mine to Amazon today (day 28). Iris would not open after shutting down. Enough is enough. Patiently waiting for RS4810 to arrive . . .
Willie

That sucks Willie. I too had an iris issue but only once so far. I'm thinking of just turning it off so it doesn't break. Maybe I should let it fail then get it either fixed or a replacement from BenQ??? I will be getting the JVC X55 here in a couple of weeks, I can't wait!
post #2595 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr6 View Post

I used the avs hd disc and some other discs like DVE, and just wasn't happy with it. Chad B did my calibration, he spent 7 hours calibrating my w7000. Yes 7. Colors are dead on and it looks really good. I just had it done late last week so I haven't spent a ton of time but I can say for sure it looks so good, and the 3D calibration is amazing, the 3D looks way better and well, more 3D lol. A calibration costs $300-$500 on average and I highly recommend it, and Chad B. He is meticulous and will get it looking its best. Very happy.

That sounds awesome. Any chance of posting some before and after (or just after) pics?
post #2596 of 3788
So I have essentially two uses for this projector: watch blu-ray on HDMI 2 and watch Football on HDMI 1. For football, frame interpolation looks superb over the normal filmlike look. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the precise audio delay settings need to be for the maximum interpolation setting?
post #2597 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

So I have essentially two uses for this projector: watch blu-ray on HDMI 2 and watch Football on HDMI 1. For football, frame interpolation looks superb over the normal filmlike look. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the precise audio delay settings need to be for the maximum interpolation setting?

 

i would think the audio delay varies from system to system since its going through different receivers, I used the disney WOW disk which has a nice audio delay calibration tool. 

post #2598 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogeeker View Post

That sounds awesome. Any chance of posting some before and after (or just after) pics?

I can try over the next few days with my iPhone but I'm not sure how good they will look.
post #2599 of 3788
I just received my W7000 I ordered from Amazon. Is there a way to tell what version firmware it has from outside of box? It says February 2012 build on it. Thanks
post #2600 of 3788
None that I am aware of, however Amazon has a fairly liberal return policy. Just don't trash the packaging when you open it. Unpack it like you intend to re-pack it for resale, fire it up and check it in the menu system.

Willie
post #2601 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I just received my W7000 I ordered from Amazon. Is there a way to tell what version firmware it has from outside of box? It says February 2012 build on it. Thanks

Like Willie said, on the info screen that tells you lamp hours etc. there is a line that says firmware version.
Edited by Crabalocker - 11/21/12 at 12:21pm
post #2602 of 3788
Hello,

For those that are trying to calibrate their W7000, I realised (through trying to figure out why my numbers were inconsistent session to session), that a calibration done at 1080p60 and done at 1080p24 will be different. This is particularly relevant for those with a Lumagen or other video processor that has its output set to equal the output of the bluray player, as my Panasonic will output 60p when a disc is not playing, but will output 24p when a disc is being played. So I set a disc playing in the background so that the Lumagen would output 24p too.

For those that are calibrating using discs, you may want to make sure that the player is outputting 24p

If anyone can come back with my query on what contrast ratios they are achieving, that would be great.

Thanks!
post #2603 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

None that I am aware of, however Amazon has a fairly liberal return policy. Just don't trash the packaging when you open it. Unpack it like you intend to re-pack it for resale, fire it up and check it in the menu system.
Willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabalocker View Post

Like Willie said, on the info screen that tells you lamp hours etc. there is a line that says firmware version.

Cool thanks guys.
post #2604 of 3788
Finally pulled the trigger on a new W7000, after reading about all the firmware stories. Just received it today, it has a mfg date of October 2012, and yet the firmware version in is 1.00! How is this possible? What do I have to do to get version 1.03?
post #2605 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugatam View Post

Finally pulled the trigger on a new W7000, after reading about all the firmware stories. Just received it today, it has a mfg date of October 2012, and yet the firmware version in is 1.00! How is this possible? What do I have to do to get version 1.03?

Your ok.
There are two builds with two different firmware.
Recent builds have 1.00 firmware.
Early builds have 1.03.
I talked to Benq about this last week because mine is like yours:)
Enjoy!
post #2606 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugatam View Post

Finally pulled the trigger on a new W7000, after reading about all the firmware stories. Just received it today, it has a mfg date of October 2012, and yet the firmware version in is 1.00! How is this possible? What do I have to do to get version 1.03?

I finally got in touch with the benq distributor here in nz and the new w7000 with the latest firmware version 1.0 is what is labeled the w7000+
Not sure if they give it that new name in the US, I don't think they do because I've only seen the w7000+ name on overseas websites.
Anyway, the w7000+ has the finalized firmware, supposedly a "fixed" iris, although he was unclear about what that meant even after I asked about the noise and the black-out problem, and also a 3-year parts and labor warranty. Sweet. No idea if that warranty is the same in the US, but I'm stoked about it.
post #2607 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Your ok.
There are two builds with two different firmware.
Recent builds have 1.00 firmware.
Early builds have 1.03.
I talked to Benq about this last week because mine is like yours:)
Enjoy!

Thanks tigerfan33. Did you confirm that your unit has the "fixes" that the older builds with 1.03 have?
post #2608 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugatam View Post

Thanks tigerfan33. Did you confirm that your unit has the "fixes" that the older builds with 1.03 have?

Yes.

Early builds with 1.00 had a mapping issue with hdmi. Thus the 1.03 update was the fix.
I freaked out the same as you when I saw my firmware:)
I confirmed with two different techs that the information about the new builds and 1.00 is correct.
I've had mine for about two weeks with no issues.
Can tell you this also.
I had the 1.03 with my last 7000 that I returned due to flicker on high lamp.
The fan noise and iris is so much quieter on this 7000 than the one I returned.
Edited by tigerfan33 - 11/21/12 at 7:08pm
post #2609 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Yes.
Early builds with 1.00 had a mapping issue with hdmi. Thus the 1.03 update was the fix.
I freaked out the same as you when I saw my firmware:)
I confirmed with two different techs that the information about the new builds and 1.00 is correct.
I've had mine for about two weeks with no issues.
Can tell you this also.
I had the 1.03 with my last 7000 that I returned due to flicker on high lamp.
The fan noise and iris is so much quieter on this 7000 than the one I returned.

Whew, that's a relief! Thanks a lot.
post #2610 of 3788
hands up who sees rainbows on the w7000? and who had them diminish after a while? get worse?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread