or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread - Page 90

post #2671 of 3788
I posted this query in a separate thread, but moderator Ron suggested I come here after saying that he thinks the behaviour is normal.

I have the W7000+ (October build, V1.0) connected directly to an Oppo BDP-93 via socket HDMI 1, and I'm playing around with what they can do. I might be playing a movie, go to the Top Menu, and up comes:

HDMI 1, Source Searching

I might have a whole heap of video shorts (AVCHD or MOV) on a USB stick, and between each one, up comes "Source Searching". I put in the Disney WOW calibration disk, and every time I change tests, up comes "Source Searching".

This may be quite a serious problem for me, because part of the reason I got the BenQ was so that my partner can show her beloved travel images/movie-shorts at local clubs (she's a bit of an adventurer), and this "Source Searching" thing may put paid to that.

Seeing so many "Source Searching" messages – is that normal when changing "states"? It doesn't happen when navigating backwards and forwards through a movie.

Is there anyway to tell the BenQ: "Hey, get your act together. Lock into the Oppo and stay locked!" Or conversely, can I tell the Oppo to keep sending out a locking signal no matter what?
post #2672 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingmunkey View Post

so i just got my replacement (#5) from benq, and it's a oct 2012 build date with firmware 1.00, which others have confirmed to be the new 1.03. can anyone with the new 1.00 verify that their dynamic iris option is grayed out now while viewing 3d content? seems odd that they'd remove that as a feature.
I'm glad to see that someone else noticed that the the dynamic iris is greyed out in 3d. I have a January build with 1.03 firmware. I ask about this several months ago but no one else answered
post #2673 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie View Post

I'm glad to see that someone else noticed that the the dynamic iris is greyed out in 3d. I have a January build with 1.03 firmware. I ask about this several months ago but no one else answered

that's weird. i had 1.03 on all my previous models and i could turn on/off di at will. i did it quite often to test image quality with different materials. it's only now with the newer 1.00 firmware that it's grayed out for me.
post #2674 of 3788
Guys,

Could someone help replicate a bug with the W7000 that I've seem to encountered, which will affect those who took the time and spent the money to get it calibrated.

I have User 1 and User 2 calibrated. Say I switch off the Benq W7000 after leaving it in User 1. What I find is that if I switch on the Benq W7000, it displays that it's in User 1, and if I run a calibration checker (something like the Cube pre-calibration in Calman), I get results showing that gamma is calibrated but cube color is not. Now, press the menu button, select User 2, and re-run the checker: Results show User 2 is calibrated. Now press menu again, select User 1, and suddenly that is calibrated too!

Can someone replicate this?

It's a minor annoyance, but it matters to those who think they have their projector calibrated, but when they switch it on to see something, they are looking at an uncalibrated picture.

Thanks
post #2675 of 3788
I've decided to replace my 9 year old Sharp XV-Z9000 720p projector with the W7000. It was one of a few that seems to work weil for my throw distance of 22.5' to a 133" screen. I ordered it yesterday from Amazon. I had PM'd one of the AVS sales guys about buying it from AVS, but got no reply, so Amazon was easy. Looking forward to getting it up and running. All of the stuff in my basement theater is 9 years old, so I'll be running HDMI directly from my Directv box to the projector because my Denon A/V receiver doesn't switch HDMI. Anyone know will I run into sync trouble with my sound and picture. In other words, HDMI for pic to W7000 and Optical for sound to my old Denon. I suppose I could upgrade A/V receivers, but not if I don't have to.
post #2676 of 3788
i got a juanary 2012 1.03 firmware and my Dynamic black doesnt work anymore after 2 weeks of use... The whole screen turn to black or very dark... i am very frustrating this is my second unit this month with the same ****ing problem .... Why does BENQ doesnt react about this issue ?????
post #2677 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by schm66 View Post

iris problem strikes. This has happen twice to me .... My son was playing COD: Black Ops 2 from the Xbox in a online Multi player game and in the pre-game menu everything was good but when the match starts the screen went black. I tried to turn off the DB but that made it even worse in the pre-game menu went black too. I could see that light from the side of the projector so that means the iris has shut all the way to block the picture.



YEAH i know i think there is this iris issue with ALL THE UNIT !!! i got my second unit this week and the same problem occur on this unit too... the only way to resolve the issue is to turn off the DYNAMIC BLACK option ... there is nothing to do... i ll hope BENQ will react to the problem its a major issue with a 2000$ product !!! We should check out with a lawyer specialize in case like that !!! Im very upset .... we 've been rip off !!!!!
post #2678 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I haven't had any issues with the iris on my W7000. if there is an issue, BenQ support will help, they have good tech support.
DLP link glasses can lose their sync, it all depends on how big the screen is, seating distance, etc. I have 5 different pairs of DLP link glasses. I would say the glasses that kept the best sync overall were the True Depth 3D which are relatively inexpensive. I can walk well behind my seating and the glasses will stay synced @ 18-20 feet from my 142" 2.8HP.


You'va been really lucky !!!! p-s: do you play video games ???? the problem seem to happen more often with video game stuff ???
post #2679 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

The iris is screwed up, like lots of others out there. It's pretty ridiculous IMO.


yeah i know like 50 % of people over here !!!!! WE MUST DO SOMETHING !!!!!!!
post #2680 of 3788
I have an issue with either side by side or top bottom 3D material at 24p. I get screen tearing on one of the channels, in top/bottom, this occurs over the bottom 5% of the screen, and in sbs it occurs at the top of the picture. I can set my media player to 1080p 60hz instead which gets rid of the tearing but also doesn't seem as clear to me.

Also with sbs I think I'm getting the weird sync issues mentioned in this thread before that could possibly be fixed by turning off film mode, however it's greyed out at all times and thus stuck in the "on" setting.

Has anyone else here tried sbs or top bottom material at 24p and do you get the same results? Blu ray 3d is absolutely fantastic which is why this issue is frustrating me somewhat, as I'd imagined that sbs would also look great, which in fairness it does provided there's now movement in the scene, any movement and the 3d position of the moving part of the picture is screwed up, which is hard on the eyes/brain!
post #2681 of 3788
i noticed today. ΄ In 3d mode, dynamic iris doesn't work. I have 1.03 firmware.
what happens. ;

Also, in the menu, the "film mode" and 3dcomb filter" is always on and its gray. (I can not change the settings) I'm connected with hdmi cable with htpc.

Please somebody test if dynamic iris can work in 3d mode and if it can change the "film mode" and "3dcomb filter"

Should retun it for repair. ???

Edited by nemos - 12/9/12 at 6:04pm
post #2682 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalanalogue View Post

I have an issue with either side by side or top bottom 3D material at 24p. I get screen tearing on one of the channels, in top/bottom, this occurs over the bottom 5% of the screen, and in sbs it occurs at the top of the picture. I can set my media player to 1080p 60hz instead which gets rid of the tearing but also doesn't seem as clear to me.
Also with sbs I think I'm getting the weird sync issues mentioned in this thread before that could possibly be fixed by turning off film mode, however it's greyed out at all times and thus stuck in the "on" setting.
Has anyone else here tried sbs or top bottom material at 24p and do you get the same results? Blu ray 3d is absolutely fantastic which is why this issue is frustrating me somewhat, as I'd imagined that sbs would also look great, which in fairness it does provided there's now movement in the scene, any movement and the 3d position of the moving part of the picture is screwed up, which is hard on the eyes/brain!


I have also noticed the weird sync problem but not the tearing. I noticed that there was less of a problem if I used 720p for input of 1080 for SBS 3-D. Using Blu Ray is perfect.. I also have the 1.03 (January build)firmware and can't turn on dynamic black in the 3-D mode. Anyone else notice this?
post #2683 of 3788
Just wanted to add that I have packaged up my w7000 for return due to iris problems. I do more gaming (xbox/ps3) so the chances are more likely for the iris to malfunction during gaming and that's when it occurs. Haven't had a problem with TV/movie watching. I had it clamp down tight once and partly remain close a few other times, so it's back to the vender for exchange. Hopefully the next one will be trouble free as I really like this projector and need lens shift, and prefer DLP.
post #2684 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie View Post

I have also noticed the weird sync problem but not the tearing. I noticed that there was less of a problem if I used 720p for input of 1080 for SBS 3-D. Using Blu Ray is perfect.. I also have the 1.03 (January build)firmware and can't turn on dynamic black in the 3-D mode. Anyone else notice this?

Same here, I have 1.03 firmware, constantly greyed out options include black level (always at 0 ire) and film mode (always set to on). I also can't set the dynamic black option to on in 3D mode, although I have done this via the service menu and for the most part it worked ok, but I did get some sync issues in darker scenes, which I suspect is why it's greyed out in the first place.

I only get the screen tearing with 1080 sbs or top bottom content if played at 24p, if i set my media player to output at 60hz then that particular problems goes away, however the weird 3d sync issue on moving objects remains. I had the Acer h5360bd before and it played this content fine, one of the reasons for upgrading the projector was to enjoy the increased resolution for this type of content, as it it stands I can't watch sbs or top/bottom content on the w7000 as it's very hard to watch whenever there is any movement in the picture. I'm surprised this isn't talked about more really.
post #2685 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolratz View Post

YEAH i know i think there is this iris issue with ALL THE UNIT !!! i got my second unit this week and the same problem occur on this unit too... the only way to resolve the issue is to turn off the DYNAMIC BLACK option ... there is nothing to do... i ll hope BENQ will react to the problem its a major issue with a 2000$ product !!! We should check out with a lawyer specialize in case like that !!! Im very upset .... we 've been rip off !!!!!

This is interesting. I have a W6000 with the same problem. I don't play games on it, but this has happened about 4 or 5 times since I've owned it (about 11 months). I've been trying to decide if I want to send it in for repair or not. I'm not sure if they can even duplicate it since it doesn't happen very often. Things that I have found:

1) Playing the first 10-15 min of the movie Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning will cause it
2) Doing a full settings reset in the service menu seems to help, but not cure the problem (playing item 1 above takes several times before the iris dies)
3) You can recover without turning it off by going to the service menu and doing an aperture reset

I've tried various aperture settings (changing min/max) in the hope that it might keep it working, but no luck. The only thing I've found that may help at all is to do the full reset, and I'm not 100% certain of that even since it isn't 100% repeatable.
post #2686 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tucker View Post

I've decided to replace my 9 year old Sharp XV-Z9000 720p projector with the W7000. It was one of a few that seems to work weil for my throw distance of 22.5' to a 133" screen. I ordered it yesterday from Amazon. I had PM'd one of the AVS sales guys about buying it from AVS, but got no reply, so Amazon was easy. Looking forward to getting it up and running. All of the stuff in my basement theater is 9 years old, so I'll be running HDMI directly from my Directv box to the projector because my Denon A/V receiver doesn't switch HDMI. Anyone know will I run into sync trouble with my sound and picture. In other words, HDMI for pic to W7000 and Optical for sound to my old Denon. I suppose I could upgrade A/V receivers, but not if I don't have to.

Don't have the big screen, but have direct tv receiver close and old equipment 20 feet away by wire and have rarely had any sync trouble with sound and picture.
post #2687 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie View Post

I have also noticed the weird sync problem but not the tearing. I noticed that there was less of a problem if I used 720p for input of 1080 for SBS 3-D. Using Blu Ray is perfect.. I also have the 1.03 (January build)firmware and can't turn on dynamic black in the 3-D mode. Anyone else notice this?

I can confirm that 720 input reduces the problem, and is watchable, whereas for me I couldn't watch a whole film in 1080p sbs, the effect is akin to toggling the invert sync button, a bit of a head masher!
post #2688 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalanalogue View Post

I have an issue with either side by side or top bottom 3D material at 24p. I get screen tearing on one of the channels, in top/bottom, this occurs over the bottom 5% of the screen, and in sbs it occurs at the top of the picture.

TMT5 works good for me using SBS, but something like does VLC doesn't, get major crosstalk. It is better if the player itself can align the SBS image, then the W7000 will automatically scan the image and display it perfectly.
post #2689 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisccheese View Post

Don't have the big screen, but have direct tv receiver close and old equipment 20 feet away by wire and have rarely had any sync trouble with sound and picture.

Are you using HDMI for picture and digital optical for sound?
post #2690 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verners View Post

Hi.
Can anyone tell me how does the projector switch from one mode to the other? I mean, if your in a menu of a media player that runs at 60fps and you start a movie that runs at 24fps, how does the projector switch from one fps to the other? Does it take a long tome to do it?
I have an Infocus SP8602 and that is taking a weary long time, like 10 secs or more to switch modes with an annoying blue screen the whole time.

Anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyburns View Post

I posted this query in a separate thread, but moderator Ron suggested I come here after saying that he thinks the behaviour is normal.
I have the W7000+ (October build, V1.0) connected directly to an Oppo BDP-93 via socket HDMI 1, and I'm playing around with what they can do. I might be playing a movie, go to the Top Menu, and up comes:
HDMI 1, Source Searching
I might have a whole heap of video shorts (AVCHD or MOV) on a USB stick, and between each one, up comes "Source Searching". I put in the Disney WOW calibration disk, and every time I change tests, up comes "Source Searching".
This may be quite a serious problem for me, because part of the reason I got the BenQ was so that my partner can show her beloved travel images/movie-shorts at local clubs (she's a bit of an adventurer), and this "Source Searching" thing may put paid to that.
Seeing so many "Source Searching" messages – is that normal when changing "states"? It doesn't happen when navigating backwards and forwards through a movie.
Is there anyway to tell the BenQ: "Hey, get your act together. Lock into the Oppo and stay locked!" Or conversely, can I tell the Oppo to keep sending out a locking signal no matter what?

I think this is somewhat related to my question. Can you please tell me how long the source searching message appears, and does the screen go to black while showing that message?

Have you tried to set the oppo to force 1080p/24 signal? I dont remember exactly, but i think it had the option. I guess its with all the DLP projectors, when the fps of the source changes, so does the color wheel, and it takes a while.
post #2691 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2037 View Post

TMT5 works good for me using SBS, but something like does VLC doesn't, get major crosstalk. It is better if the player itself can align the SBS image, then the W7000 will automatically scan the image and display it perfectly.

Interesting, I'm using a wdtv live and I've also tried vlc on my mac, I guess TMT5 is pc only? Tbh, I've not had any issue with cross talk, the biggest problem is the sync issue when watching anything moving. I wish I could switch off 'film mode' to see if that makes a difference.
post #2692 of 3788
Latest findings re sbs / top-bottom 3D playback; playing back at original frame rate I.e. 24p there is some tearing as I mentioned before but the 3d sync issue is gone, this actually watchable. I'll do more tests tomorrow, to see if key stoning is to blame, or my cheap 10m hdmi cable.

Also I've tried a demo of 3dtv play in the bootcamp windows install on my mac and it works. As does the trial of tmt5 so this is another option for playback. I'm also excited to try some pc games in 3D now. With 3DTV enabled I couldn't set the resolution to 1080p with 60hz refresh rate, this resulted in a garbled image, switching it to 24hz however worked, got me thinking that maybe the projector was never designed to playback 3d at 1080p 60hz ...
post #2693 of 3788
Did a greyscale calibration a week ago by following the tutorial in http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457, I'm using eye one meter, 96" 1.3 gain grey screen and tried on User 1 mode.

Strange thing is: when adjusting red and blue RGBHighEnd (gain) for 80 IRE, red is way too high for initial setting (~300%), I tried to drop red gain all the way to 0, it was still way above 120%, This affected the final results quite a bit for 80-100 IRE (Delta E > 10). Although the tutorial does not advise to adjust green, I gave it a try, i had to tune up green gain from 50 to more than 80 to get all 3 colors in ~100% range, but somehow I feel the screen is greenish..... Need some advice here which part I did wrong? For User 1, which color mode should I use, warm, normal or other mode? Many thanks!

The detail step described in the tutorial:
=======================================

STEP 6.3: Adjust the red and blue RGBHighEnd controls on your display until all three RGB Level bars are at 100% or very close. You'll have to play around the first time to figure out which way to adjust the controls to add or remove red and blue as all displays work differently. Once all three are close to 100% you should be close to the D65 point (x=0.313 and y=0.329).

Note that we only adjust red and blue. Green is typically the reference and should be left alone as adjusting the green RGBHighEnd control (and balancing the red and blue levels to match) has the same effect as simply adjusting the overall contrast.

Ok! So now the 80 IRE point is set correctly to D65! Don't get too excited, you're going to adjust it again very soon ...
post #2694 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalanalogue View Post

Latest findings re sbs / top-bottom 3D playback; playing back at original frame rate I.e. 24p there is some tearing as I mentioned before but the 3d sync issue is gone, this actually watchable. I'll do more tests tomorrow, to see if key stoning is to blame, or my cheap 10m hdmi cable.
Also I've tried a demo of 3dtv play in the bootcamp windows install on my mac and it works. As does the trial of tmt5 so this is another option for playback. I'm also excited to try some pc games in 3D now. With 3DTV enabled I couldn't set the resolution to 1080p with 60hz refresh rate, this resulted in a garbled image, switching it to 24hz however worked, got me thinking that maybe the projector was never designed to playback 3d at 1080p 60hz ...


With TMT5 on PC I run 3D at 24p and 2D at 60hz.

2D at 24p stutters on my PC (not the projector).
post #2695 of 3788
I haven't been able to single out an exact cause, but it seems like the 3d weirdness I'm experiencing with sbs, is due to one channel lagging behind the other, hence looking ok in static scenes. I'm not 100% sure but this lag seems to vary each time I open up the menu and close it again, even without changing any settings. Obviously this has led to some false conclusions about different settings affecting the issue. At one point I had noticeable vertical split whereby the left side of the picture had slightly different colours to the right, as if brilliant color was only working on one side, switching 3D off and on again fixed this, but it does seem like the firmware is a bit flaky with regard to 3D sbs content.

I was able to turn film mode off by giving the projector a 1080i signal, this has since stayed off (but greyed out) when fed with 1080p. It made no difference to my 3D problem.
post #2696 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie View Post

I have also noticed the weird sync problem but not the tearing. I noticed that there was less of a problem if I used 720p for input of 1080 for SBS 3-D. Using Blu Ray is perfect.. I also have the 1.03 (January build)firmware and can't turn on dynamic black in the 3-D mode. Anyone else notice this?

I'm pretty sure one channel lags behind the other with sbs material causing the weird sync feeling, the frame tearing I think only happens with digital keystoning. Next time you notice the weird sync problem, try bringing up the menu and then simply closing it again, at one point last night I was convinced that this pretty much toggles the problem on or off, but then became less convinced. It certainly seems to have an effect though.
Edited by digitalanalogue - 12/13/12 at 4:47am
post #2697 of 3788
I'm sending in my Dec 2011 W7000 tomorrow for RMA. The split screen upon startup still happening and I get 2D to 3D lockups. I am sending back the unit in the original box but do I include the remote?
post #2698 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemos View Post

i noticed today. ΄ In 3d mode, dynamic iris doesn't work. I have 1.03 firmware.



following a (e-mail) contact with the service confirmed to me that after firmware update (1.03) , it is not possible to operate dynamic iris in 3d mode.
So, is not a bug problem or malfuction, deliberately disable it for their own reasons.
post #2699 of 3788
I too have had a reply from customer services regarding sbs / tb 3D playback.
Quote:
I have listed the 3D support timing on page 56 of user manual:
1080p 24Hz side by side -> W7000 does not support
1080p 60hz side by side -> W7000 does not support
1080p 60hz top-bottom -> W7000 does not support
720p 60hz side by side -> W7000 does not support

Please reset all setting by entering to the manual (Manual\Advanced set up\ reset all setting), and try to apply the timing that W7000 supported.

So it does look like I was trying to do something that the projector doesn't support, apart from the tearing issue with 24p top-bottom, I still think that must be a firmware bug and it's related to keystone amount. Looking at the table myself only 1080 50i, 59i or 60i are options for sbs content, which is I guess what most cable companies output their sbs content at. I've tried interlaced, and the image is much less sharp.
post #2700 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Aims View Post

I'm sending in my Dec 2011 W7000 tomorrow for RMA. The split screen upon startup still happening and I get 2D to 3D lockups. I am sending back the unit in the original box but do I include the remote?

You should ask BENQ, but my guess is no if it is a repair. If it were a complete swap for a new unit, then you might need to.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread