or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread - Page 102

post #3031 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Tom, that's good news about getting a quality sample. You can charge the glasses for about 1-2 hours for a quick charge that will get you through your first 3D movie.

benQ released a new pair of DLP link glasses i'm going to try when they are available.

http://www.benq.us/product/projector/3dglasses-d3/

3dglassesd3.jpg

Thanks Jason.

I don't have a USB charger.redface.gif Would it be possible to plug the True Depth glasses into my laptops USB port? Would it work using a PS3's USB port?

My glasses should be arriving this afternoon and I didn't think about the darn charger.

Thanks,
Tom
post #3032 of 3788
Hey Tom,

The PS3 USB ports work fine with the chargers. I would also guess any USB port would also work
post #3033 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarithers View Post

Hey Tom,

The PS3 USB ports work fine with the chargers. I would also guess any USB port would also work

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3034 of 3788
Yes, I use a standard 4-port USB hub to charge my PS3 glasses.
post #3035 of 3788
I use little iPhone charger for them. Works great.
post #3036 of 3788
I noticed on some 3d movies that I' can't adjust color. Since red and green are over saturated, I turned the color down for 2D and it looks much better. The 3d movies that can't be adjusted are annoying

I was surprised to see that the 3d depth is a fair amount less than my 42" LG LED. Enough so I don't get that wow feeling that the LG gives. Is there any adjustment that can be made to increase depth. I have an OPPO 3D player. I checked out Despicable and Tangled. I couldnt adjust color on either of them.

The True Depth glasses have a buzzing sound. It's not there all of the time but is annoying. Any idea why this is?

So far, I must say that 3D on the benq 7000 is a bit of a disappointment:(

Tom
Edited by Tom Monahan - 2/14/13 at 6:06pm
post #3037 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarithers View Post

+1 to Zombie's post...I also am using the TrueDepth and just charged them for about an hour before watching Avatar 3D....the glasses work great! Even my wife was blown away!!!
Just a note on the glasses....if the 3D looks blurry, just click the ON button and that will 'reverse' the lenses...this is also in the instructions that I did not read since I was too excited to watch 3D!!!

I am still wanting to get more colors out of the 3D picture behind the glasses....anyone have any tips on getting a great 3D picture with glasses on?


Make sure that you have the dynamic black turned on when watching 3d. I have to access the service menu everytime I watch 3d because I can't store that preference. If I don't do that the picture is very dim. I hope it helps.
post #3038 of 3788
I just got a nd4 filter and the quality image on a 100" screen with 1.3 gain is great. The "blacks" are improved and I'm very pleased.
post #3039 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaz79 View Post

I just got a nd4 filter and the quality image on a 100" screen with 1.3 gain is great. The "blacks" are improved and I'm very pleased.

Just curious, but why not just tweak the iris in the service menu instead of messing with the filter?
post #3040 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Just curious, but why not just tweak the iris in the service menu instead of messing with the filter?
Toe, can you provide some insight on how to better the blacks in the service menu iris settings.
thanks
post #3041 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I noticed on some 3d movies that I' can't adjust color. Since red and green are over saturated, I turned the color down for 2D and it looks much better. The 3d movies that can't be adjusted are annoying

I was surprised to see that the 3d depth is a fair amount less than my 42" LG LED. Enough so I don't get that wow feeling that the LG gives. Is there any adjustment that can be made to increase depth. I have an OPPO 3D player. I checked out Despicable and Tangled. I couldnt adjust color on either of them.

The True Depth glasses have a buzzing sound. It's not there all of the time but is annoying. Any idea why this is?

So far, I must say that 3D on the benq 7000 is a bit of a disappointment:(

Tom

Benq W7000 rated best of sub-12,000 dollar projectors for 3-D. Surprising worse than LG TV, but will say wide variation in 3-D quality. Hugo, I own, is incredible, similar to looking out a window so seems like you are standing there watching the action unfold. For special effects, Journey: Mysterious Island is eye-popping (though goofy movie) with effects coming out and slapping you in the face. Have heard Tangled (though good movie) is not that special for 3-D. Do know bigboys (Zombie, et. al) here use Despicable as test for 3-D. I haven't seen it in 3-D.

True Depth, good, but not as clear as twice expensive Optoma Zd201. But True Depth much more comfortable for lens wearer like me. I have trouble going more than an hour before Zd201's are painful.
Should not have buzzing on True Depth; I have never heard that and don't think anybody here has mentioned it.
post #3042 of 3788
Tom - I agree that the depth could be greater on the BenQ but probably also has to do with the source. I thought Avatar was pretty impressive with the True Depth glasses but watched Prometheus last night and the 3D was not impressive at all.
And like Cheese said, definitely should not have buzzing with the glasses.
Regarding color...I have been juicing up the Color setting on the BenQ up past 60 to get a more colorful image during 3D. I hope to get a meter soon so I can calibrate through the glasses to get a more accurate picture in 3D using the CMS...the glasses really mute the image overall!
What do you mean that some 3D movies cannot adjust color? You mean the source material in 3D does not change when you try to make adjustments on the projector?
post #3043 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelscott73 View Post

Toe, can you provide some insight on how to better the blacks in the service menu iris settings.
thanks

I am not an expert in this category, but my only thought was if you are using an ND4 filter to tame light and get better black levels, you could do the same thing in the service menu by dialing back the iris and then you would not need to deal with the PITA ND4 which I would want to remove for 3d to get max light. The practice of taking this filter on/off depending on if you are watching 2d or 3d would get old and I would think doing a quick tweak in the service menu depending on 2d or 3d would be much easier (takes all of ~20 seconds once you know what to do and where exactly to go). For 2d, I dialed back from the default position of 12 to 6 which brought the overall light level in line with my RS45 (which was my goal) and because you drop the overall light output, the black levels do improve (they are still far from great for 2d in particular, especially when compared to my RS45).

Maybe there is something I am missing though that makes using the ND4 worth the hassle?
post #3044 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I noticed on some 3d movies that I' can't adjust color. Since red and green are over saturated, I turned the color down for 2D and it looks much better. The 3d movies that can't be adjusted are annoying

I was surprised to see that the 3d depth is a fair amount less than my 42" LG LED. Enough so I don't get that wow feeling that the LG gives. Is there any adjustment that can be made to increase depth. I have an OPPO 3D player. I checked out Despicable and Tangled. I couldnt adjust color on either of them.

The True Depth glasses have a buzzing sound. It's not there all of the time but is annoying. Any idea why this is?

So far, I must say that 3D on the benq 7000 is a bit of a disappointment:(

Tom

Hey Tom, I spent quite a bit of time with a VT50 65" Panny plasma recently and noticed that both depth and pop on some scenes/titles looked a bit different vs my RS45 and 7000 while some things subjectively looked the same. There were some titles where the depth on the plasma actually seemed a bit more pronounced vs what I have seen on my RS40,45 and 7000. On the other hand, pop out like the Potato Cod in UtS, the crab/snake that come out in Sammys Adventure come out of the screen significantly more on my 7000/40/45. The crab in SA I can literally pause that scene at the apex and put my finger up through the crabs claws in my normal seating position, but on the plasma the crab only appeared to be about half way into the room approx and was not close enough to perform this same exercise. Why this is, I dont know but I did notice this and I am guessing just might be due to the difference in screen size (?). Maybe If I got the plasma in the same room as the projectors things would change, who knows. I will say that the 7000 is subjectively more impressive with both depth AND pop out vs either my RS40 or RS45 and again, not exactly sure why. My only thought is maybe due to the COMPLETE lack of both ghosting and flicker it allows the positive attributes as far as depth and pop to be more obvious. Not to mention motion is noticeably better vs the 45 for 3d (with FI engaged) which I am sure helps as well.
Edited by Toe - 2/15/13 at 9:57am
post #3045 of 3788
I think what you guys are experiencing with the perceived depth difference between the two types of displays is caused by the screen size and seating distance. If you were able to back up far enough with the bigger screen, you'd probably have a similar experience, although I think the extra brightness of the smaller screen also contributes a bit. To test how this works, freeze a shot and move around the screens. You'll see that your perception of what you're seeing changes depending on the angle and the distance. The only way to see what the 3D camera saw is to sit in the "sweet spot" or use an HMD (head mounted display), which should give you the experience of seeing just what the 3D camera saw.
post #3046 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I think what you guys are experiencing with the perceived depth difference between the two types of displays is caused by the screen size and seating distance. If you were able to back up far enough with the bigger screen, you'd probably have a similar experience, although I think the extra brightness of the smaller screen also contributes a bit. To test how this works, freeze a shot and move around the screens. You'll see that your perception of what you're seeing changes depending on the angle and the distance. The only way to see what the 3D camera saw is to sit in the "sweet spot" or use an HMD (head mounted display), which should give you the experience of seeing just what the 3D camera saw.

Makes sense and I think you are right. But it still does not explain why the 7000 in my setup with all other variables the same (seating distance, screen size, etc....) is noticeably more impressive subjectively vs either of my JVC projectors for both depth and pop and the only thing I can think of is the ghosting, flicker and motion is so much better on the 7000 that it allows the positive attributes of 3d to show off more. Does this sound like a viable theory Joseph or am I crazy? tongue.gif
post #3047 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Makes sense and I think you are right. But it still does not explain why the 7000 in my setup with all other variables the same (seating distance, screen size, etc....) is noticeably more impressive subjectively vs either of my JVC projectors for both depth and pop and the only thing I can think of is the ghosting, flicker and motion is so much better on the 7000 that it allows the positive attributes of 3d to show off more. Does this sound like a viable theory Joseph or am I crazy? tongue.gif

It definitely makes sense. One thing I haven't talked about much around here is the negative effect of even subtle ghosting on my JVC's. When I tried to watch any 3D at 120hz (side by side, 720p 3D), the ghosting was so bad that even when you couldn't pick up on true ghost images, the subtle overlap killed the experience for me. It was there for 24p Blu-ray 3D, too, but just not as pronounced. I found that hard to express, so I didn't mention it, but the negative effect was very real. And not having FI in 3D also hurt the experience when the motion got to a moderate level. That's why I'm so tempted to try the W7000. In terms of contrast, the LG passive flat panel that I use for 3D editing is not great. And it has noticeable jaggies because of the halving of vertical resolution in 3D mode. But it's ghosting performance is the best of any of my 3D displays, which makes for a really engaging 3D experience. I suspect the W7000 might bring a lot of those same qualities to the table.
post #3048 of 3788
Hey guys,
I wanted to purchase this projector in the upcoming weeks and would like to get some initial impressions from users who own one. I've seen the DLP image on a lower end BENQ and thought the screen looked amazing.

Thank you.
post #3049 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I am not an expert in this category, but my only thought was if you are using an ND4 filter to tame light and get better black levels, you could do the same thing in the service menu by dialing back the iris and then you would not need to deal with the PITA ND4 which I would want to remove for 3d to get max light. The practice of taking this filter on/off depending on if you are watching 2d or 3d would get old and I would think doing a quick tweak in the service menu depending on 2d or 3d would be much easier (takes all of ~20 seconds once you know what to do and where exactly to go). For 2d, I dialed back from the default position of 12 to 6 which brought the overall light level in line with my RS45 (which was my goal) and because you drop the overall light output, the black levels do improve (they are still far from great for 2d in particular, especially when compared to my RS45).

Maybe there is something I am missing though that makes using the ND4 worth the hassle?

I tried to close down the iris on the service menu, but the problem is the whole image gets washed out and the colors get very dull. The second problem is that you lose the dynamic black feature, leaving the iris open to a value, that sometimes don't work very well for some scenes. Using a ND filter, definitely gives you darker blacks without washing out the colors, but like you said it's kind of a pain taking it out to watch 3d movies.
post #3050 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaz79 View Post

I tried to close down the iris on the service menu, but the problem is the whole image gets washed out and the colors get very dull. The second problem is that you lose the dynamic black feature, leaving the iris open to a value, that sometimes don't work very well for some scenes. Using a ND filter, definitely gives you darker blacks without washing out the colors, but like you said it's kind of a pain taking it out to watch 3d movies.

Good point about loosing the DI by tweaking in the service menu as I had not thought about that for those that use the DI (I leave my DI off all the time anyway so this was not a negative for me personally tweaking the iris in the service menu).

I have not noticed my colors being any more dull (besides what happens by lowering the light in general) since tweaking the iris, but I appreciate you sharing this as I am curious to test this further now.
post #3051 of 3788
I turned on DI in the service menu and it made quite a difference in depth and pop.smile.gif

Tom
Edited by Tom Monahan - 2/15/13 at 7:13pm
post #3052 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarithers View Post

+1 to Zombie's post...I also am using the TrueDepth and just charged them for about an hour before watching Avatar 3D....the glasses work great! Even my wife was blown away!!!
Just a note on the glasses....if the 3D looks blurry, just click the ON button and that will 'reverse' the lenses...this is also in the instructions that I did not read since I was too excited to watch 3D!!!

I am still wanting to get more colors out of the 3D picture behind the glasses....anyone have any tips on getting a great 3D picture with glasses on?

I'm new to active 3d and was too excited like you to read directions. Once I reversed the lenses, I was blown away.

Tom
post #3053 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisccheese View Post

Benq W7000 rated best of sub-12,000 dollar projectors for 3-D. Surprising worse than LG TV, but will say wide variation in 3-D quality. Hugo, I own, is incredible, similar to looking out a window so seems like you are standing there watching the action unfold. For special effects, Journey: Mysterious Island is eye-popping (though goofy movie) with effects coming out and slapping you in the face. Have heard Tangled (though good movie) is not that special for 3-D. Do know bigboys (Zombie, et. al) here use Despicable as test for 3-D. I haven't seen it in 3-D.

True Depth, good, but not as clear as twice expensive Optoma Zd201. But True Depth much more comfortable for lens wearer like me. I have trouble going more than an hour before Zd201's are painful.
Should not have buzzing on True Depth; I have never heard that and don't think anybody here has mentioned it.

That buzzing with the true depth's is pretty annoying. It's funny when I look directly at the 7000, the buzzing goes away.confused.gif I may need to pick one pair of the Optoma 201's. When you say that the 201's are clearer, what exactly do you mean?

Thanks,
Tom
post #3054 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Hey Tom, I spent quite a bit of time with a VT50 65" Panny plasma recently and noticed that both depth and pop on some scenes/titles looked a bit different vs my RS45 and 7000 while some things subjectively looked the same. There were some titles where the depth on the plasma actually seemed a bit more pronounced vs what I have seen on my RS40,45 and 7000. On the other hand, pop out like the Potato Cod in UtS, the crab/snake that come out in Sammys Adventure come out of the screen significantly more on my 7000/40/45. The crab in SA I can literally pause that scene at the apex and put my finger up through the crabs claws in my normal seating position, but on the plasma the crab only appeared to be about half way into the room approx and was not close enough to perform this same exercise. Why this is, I dont know but I did notice this and I am guessing just might be due to the difference in screen size (?). Maybe If I got the plasma in the same room as the projectors things would change, who knows. I will say that the 7000 is subjectively more impressive with both depth AND pop out vs either my RS40 or RS45 and again, not exactly sure why. My only thought is maybe due to the COMPLETE lack of both ghosting and flicker it allows the positive attributes as far as depth and pop to be more obvious. Not to mention motion is noticeably better vs the 45 for 3d (with FI engaged) which I am sure helps as well.

The pop out on the 7000 is fantastic. I compared it to my LG and it isn't even close;

Tom
post #3055 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I think what you guys are experiencing with the perceived depth difference between the two types of displays is caused by the screen size and seating distance. If you were able to back up far enough with the bigger screen, you'd probably have a similar experience, although I think the extra brightness of the smaller screen also contributes a bit. To test how this works, freeze a shot and move around the screens. You'll see that your perception of what you're seeing changes depending on the angle and the distance. The only way to see what the 3D camera saw is to sit in the "sweet spot" or use an HMD (head mounted display), which should give you the experience of seeing just what the 3D camera saw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I think what you guys are experiencing with the perceived depth difference between the two types of displays is caused by the screen size and seating distance. If you were able to back up far enough with the bigger screen, you'd probably have a similar experience, although I think the extra brightness of the smaller screen also contributes a bit. To test how this works, freeze a shot and move around the screens. You'll see that your perception of what you're seeing changes depending on the angle and the distance. The only way to see what the 3D camera saw is to sit in the "sweet spot" or use an HMD (head mounted display), which should give you the experience of seeing just what the 3D camera saw.

I agree 100%. I sit 8' from my LG and sit 8' from my 8' wide scope screen. When I moved closer to the LG, depth suffered. Forum member, 5mark, started a thread talking about this. Mark sits 1x screen with with his scope setup. He decided to zoom down some for scope and said the 3d was much better.

I think you would be very happy with the 7000 if you can live with the contrast.

Tom
post #3056 of 3788
I can now see why so many of you have a HP screen. At least for me, I like more light output when watching 3D versus watching the same movie in 2d.

Tom
post #3057 of 3788
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I'm new to active 3d and was too excited like you to read directions. Once I reversed the lenses, I was blown away.

Tom

what movies have you watched so far in 3D?
post #3058 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I can now see why so many of you have a HP screen. At least for me, I like more light output when watching 3D versus watching the same movie in 2d.

Tom

I might be looking for a HP screen as well smile.gif . Another trick would be lower the gamma settings on the regular menu, but you compromise the blacks. Pls let me know Tom if you have turn on the dynamic black everytime you watch 3d material, as my unit isn't storing my preference.
post #3059 of 3788
What screens pairs nicely with this projector. Some of you refer to a HP screen. Sorry I'm new here, what's a HP screen.

Thank you.
post #3060 of 3788
this projector has been getting sub par reviews lately and even on amazon...its time for benq to upgrade to a new projector.seems unreasonable that over year this has been released that the best they can do is downgrade to a couple of models...just a shame...a good tell in this forum on how good a product is,is to not see any responses on the threads.the higher you are on the thread,the worse it is.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread