or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread - Page 4

post #91 of 3788
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Thanks Jmalto. Curious how the 3d brightness will compare to the 45 when Zombie gets them side by side. I know he has already mentioned the 7000 is a bit brighter in 3d through the glasses vs his Sony, but not sure where the JVC falls in 3d brightness vs the Sony. If the 7000 is at least as bright as the JVC in 3d open iris, that will be plenty for me.

Todd - Mark is coming over tonight with the Tom Huffman Calibrated RS45 and we are going to spend tomorrow going over the W7000, HW30 and RS45 as well.

time permitting, we'll get lumen measurements on all 3 projectors in 2D and 3D and hopefully run through a quick calibration on the W7000 with my Chroma 5 Pro.
post #92 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Todd - Mark is coming over tonight with the Tom Huffman Calibrated RS45 and we are going to spend tomorrow going over the W7000, HW30 and RS45 as well.

time permitting, we'll get lumen measurements on all 3 projectors in 2D and 3D and hopefully run through a quick calibration on the W7000 with my Chroma 5 Pro.

Awesome! Looking forward to it!
post #93 of 3788
Do the 3D glasses make a difference to the brightness of the image? Are the Benq glasses "brighter" than other 3D DLP-Link glasses? Are they tinted differently with the projector calibrated for that tint? Bottom line -- any reason to buy the Benq glasses over other glasses?
post #94 of 3788
Yes I'm looking forward to that too. I want to know how good the CMS is in the W7000
post #95 of 3788
Will view them tonight on Zombie's 12 ft wide HP. I gotta pack all the stuff up and my tooth brush and get driving 2.5 hours to Zombie's. He is at work this afternoon so that's why no reports until later tonight. I hope this old geezer can drive that far. Happy Holidays all.
post #96 of 3788
Please post 2D impressions as well. Maybe you can even do some split screen viewing? I remember my W5000 had a manual iris as well as dynamic. You guys are sure you can't engage manual iris?
post #97 of 3788
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post

I got my w7000 today. I get off work at 6pm.

I can't wait anymore for the geriatrics to post pics FFS.

You will all have them tonite from me.

what exactly do you think a screen shot is going to show? I can make the W7000 black level look like an RS55 with a screen shot.

Beyond looking at ghosting examples, there is little use in a screenshot for determining the quality of a projector.


Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Please post 2D impressions as well. Maybe you can even do some split screen viewing? I remember my W5000 had a manual iris as well as dynamic. You guys are sure you can't engage manual iris?

I haven't tried to get into the service menu, I'll check it later tonight. The 2D looks very similar to the W6000. IMO, The big deal with the projector is the faster color wheel, inexpensive price, flexible lens shift and ghost free 3D. it's not perfect, but very nice for a dedicated 3D projector so far.

the complete lack of ghosting and flicker is refreshing, and the FI in 3D is the bonus. Now I want to see the Acer 9500.
post #98 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

Will view them tonight on Zombie's 12 ft wide HP...

142" is diagonal (see zombie's response near the bottom of page 2).

70" high by 124.5" wide, according to zombie's helpful graphic borrowed from the High Power thread:

post #99 of 3788
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Dave View Post

142" is diagonal (see zombie's response near the bottom of page 2).

70" high by 124.5" wide, according to zombie's helpful graphic borrowed from the High Power thread:

hehe, that is an old photo right after I installed the screen last year. The center channel is no longer sitting on a storage box. The end speakers have been replaced with much, much bigger speakers.

I'll post some new photos later of our test setup. I currently have 4 Berkline 12000's in a curved config, about 15 feet from the screen. I love the size of this screen, I wish it was even bigger.
post #100 of 3788
I'm hoping someone can look into an answer to this question I posted above (no response yet):

I just read the owners manual (again) and don't see a picture mode of "3D" so I'm confused by Art's comment at ProjectorReviews.com:

Back to 3D and brightness. I’m hoping this will change, but the single 3D mode that exists isn’t near as bright on the screen as the brightest 2D mode, and that’s before you put on the glasses. This may well change.

The owners manual says the preset mode cannot be changed while in 3D mode but doesn't indicate what preset it is set to. The preset modes the manual shows include: Cinema, Dynamic, Standard, User 1/User 2/User 3 (no mention of a 3D mode). So what preset mode is the projector in when displaying 3D? and who can explain Art's comment of 'the single 3D mode that exists isn’t near as bright on the screen as the brightest 2D mode'? I'm confused...

I'm also curious if anyone has other DLP-Link glasses to compare to the BenQ DLP-Link glasses so I know if I should order a few BenQ glasses when I order the projector or order some other model DLP-Link glasses.
post #101 of 3788
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post


The owners manual says the preset mode cannot be changed while in 3D mode but doesn't indicate what preset it is set to. The preset modes the manual shows include: Cinema, Dynamic, Standard, User 1/User 2/User 3 (no mention of a 3D mode). So what preset mode is the projector in when displaying 3D? and who can explain Art's comment of 'the single 3D mode that exists isn’t near as bright on the screen as the brightest 2D mode'? I'm confused...

maybe the pre-production model he has was different, but based on what I saw last night, the only difference between 2D and 3D's is that the 3D forces the lamp into high. I had full control of all the other options including gamma, color controls, etc when it was sync'd in 3D mode.

regarding glasses, I believe someone else mentioned that other DLP glasses worked (non benq), but these are my first DLP link glasses i'm seeing compared to the original JVC, Xpand 103, Sony (2 different models), Nvidia 3D vision and Monster Vision 3D.

@ Petri - from everything I can tell, the W7000 is strictly a DLP link projector, I don't see any means of switching it. I haven't tried the Nvidia 3D vision setup, but I will if there is time over the weekend.
post #102 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

maybe the pre-production model he has was different, but based on what I saw last night, the only difference between 2D and 3D's is that the 3D forces the lamp into high. I had full control of all the other options including gamma, color controls, etc when it was sync'd in 3D mode.

regarding glasses, I believe someone else mentioned that other DLP glasses worked (non benq), but these are my first DLP link glasses i'm seeing compared to the original JVC, Xpand 103, Sony (2 different models), Nvidia 3D vision and Monster Vision 3D.

@ Petri - from everything I can tell, the W7000 is strictly a DLP link projector, I don't see any means of switching it. I haven't tried the Nvidia 3D vision setup, but I will if there is time over the weekend.

Thanks Zombie. So you can put the Picture Preset Mode to Dynamic while watching 3D content? If so then I'm really confused why people are saying the image isn't very bright in 3D considering the projector has 2000 lumens and Dynamic usually really pumps out the lumens. Perhaps the problem is the DLP-Link glasses are eating up way more lumens than 3D glasses do on some other projectors? Trying to get my hands around this because with 2000 lumens I thought we'd finally have 3D bright enough for fairly large screens (without having to resort to extreme high gain screens which will result in less than ideal 2D images).

I read the owners manual and no mention of 2D to 3D conversion that I read...
post #103 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph MAK View Post

Does W7000 has a 2D to 3D conversion mode? If so, how good (or bad) is it?

If it does, I have yet to find it.
post #104 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

maybe the pre-production model he has was different,

Isn't it about time you sold the Acer and some of your other projectors, lol you have all these high-end units now :P
post #105 of 3788
I have had a few hours with the W7000 now and I am very impressed! The black level seems on par with my W5000, which isn't great, but it's more than acceptable to me.

I purchased a monoprice grey adjustable ratio screen a couple weeks ago, which I love, and this projector is plenty bright even with the grey screen from 16ft. It is considerably brighter than the W5000 and the image is sharp and pops even more than the W5000. I am using cimema mode for 2d but I have not calibrated anything yet. The image looks fantastic. The noise level is less than my W5000 , which surprised me. I set about 3 ft away and I can barely hear a low hum, from the fans with the sound off. With the sound, I can't hear it at all, which is a nice change.

In 3d, I don't see any dimming of the image, as some have said, it appears a little brighter to me when viewing 3d. It is plenty bright on my 106" grey screen.

As said before by others, this is the best 3d I have ever seen. Breath taking is how I would describe it. I have the Acer 5360 and there is no comparison. The image is very stable, no crosstalk, just beautiful. I really wasn't expecting this much of an improvement, but it is very obvious when compared side by side.

My only complaint is the time it takes to switch from 2d to 3d. Very slow. Hopefluy this will be addressed in a firmware update soon.

I am using the optima glasses that came with my 3D-XL and they work great. I just ordered 3 more pair from Amazon. I can't detect any tiniting or flickering from the glasses.

To my untrained eyes, this is the projector to have for 3d. I am also very happy with the 2d but I have had dlp for three years now so I am used to the less than perfect black levels of the jvc, but to me, dlp is the only way to go. The pop and depth just can't be matched.

As you can tell, I am a very happy camper with this projector so far!
post #106 of 3788
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Isn't it about time you sold the Acer and some of your other projectors, lol you have all these high-end units now :P

I can't get rid of the Acer, it's the projector I lend to my coworkers for 'backyard movie night'. there's no way they are getting the good stuff.

the RS50 is finally gone to make way for the RS55 next week.
post #107 of 3788
So you are keeping the Benq?

So you have an LED projector, the Acer DLP, a Benq w7000, a Sony hw30, the Sony portable thing (forgot model), and an RS-55 on the way.

That must be a pain to mount all those in one room, geeze.
You should try one of those Panasonic 100"+ Plasmas next.
post #108 of 3788
Hey Guys

i'm french and sorry for my english
I'm very interesting by this Projector
I'd like to know if w7000 has dc3 or dc2 ?
The dynamic black is invisible or not ?
I've w1200 for the moment and the image is razor sharp but the Frame interpolation is too video effect for me
The w7000 frame interpolation is good ? without artefact ? more natural ?

thanks you for your answers
post #109 of 3788
Jason,

How much better is the 3D on the W7000 compared to the Sony? We know the ghosting is less, and you mentioned the brightness was a little better with the w7000, but how about sharpness, clarity, color (through the glasses) and motion?

I mainly use the HMZ HMD for 3D now, but when people come over I wouldn't mind a decent 3D projector.

All things considered and having 2D a main priority, and 3D that is functional. Would you choose something like the Sony or Benq w7000, if you only wanted to run one projector. I'm looking at the vw95, but the 3D should be the same between that and the 30.
post #110 of 3788
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Jason,

How much better is the 3D on the W7000 compared to the Sony? We know the ghosting is less, and you mentioned the brightness was a little better with the w7000, but how about sharpness, clarity, color (through the glasses) and motion?

I mainly use the HMZ HMD for 3D now, but when people come over I wouldn't mind a decent 3D projector.

All things considered and having 2D a main priority, and 3D that is functional. Would you choose something like the Sony or Benq w7000, if you only wanted to run one projector. I'm looking at the vw95, but the 3D should be the same between that and the 30.

I haven't done an A/B yet with the W7000 and HW30, so I really can't say right now. By tomorrow, I'll have seen 3D on those 2 + the RS45 by tomorrow night, so I can have a better opinion for you.

I don't know how you deal with the HMZ's, I don't like anything that heavy on my head and don't want to modify it.

Mark is due over in 20 minutes, we're going to watch more 3D on the W7000 tonight, I want him to see a few clips from Sammy's Adventures. and force him to watch some of the 3D Peter Gabriel concert. All he ever talks about is 'Grand Canyon'.
post #111 of 3788
Thread Starter 
if you don't like it, send it back. Take a look at the HW30 if your looking for a noticeable difference in black levels compared to the Epson. It also has very good 3D.

btw, I haven't watched any 2D, my comments so far are strictly discussing 3D.
post #112 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Not enough throw distance for my 140"

I can confirm black levels in 3D look above acceptable and aren't washed out. The more I watch this thing in 3D the more I love it, especially with FI. I totally forgot how much I missed it on my HW30.

What is the throw ratio of this projector?
post #113 of 3788
I really hate the "pencil sketch" ghosting of my RS45, but other than that, it's hard for me to imagine a much better looking 3D display - mainly because of the great black level, and even more so because of the deep, rich native contrast. Those may be harder things to quantify (and certainly much more difficult things to take pictures of) than ghosting, but to me they're every bit as important. So, if you can, please try to address the relative strengths of the projectors in these areas. I'm not trying to influence the evaluation. I just don't know what the scope of your tests will be.
post #114 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post


I am thinking of returning this... advice?

Unless 3D porn blows my socks off, I don't think I am impressed with this PJ.

LOL. That is about all I can say about that. Man's gotta have his priorities. Made my night.
post #115 of 3788
I thought this was a single chip DLP. Chromatic aberration, perhaps, but not a convergence problem.
post #116 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post

Well... I just hooked my w7000 up.

I came from an epson 8100. I AM NOT IMPRESSED. A big let down for me.

1. Screen is 10 inches smaller from exact same position as the epson 8100.

2. Black levels suck. Whoever said they were "good" is smoking serious crack. I am using a silverfire 5.0 screen. ---this is making me think there are people being paid to give good reviews after what I seen on this projector.

Who is going to be the Last Man Standing? Or does everybody die?

If what you state is true then consider downgrading for better 2D black level:
"So, the bottom line - Acer really performs with the top of its class when it comes to blacks and shadow detail. These are key strengths of the Acer H9500!"
post #117 of 3788
So it sounds like this projector is a cheap plastic, more expensive version of an Acer. very interesting. The plastic will probably start melting soon...
post #118 of 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthejoker20 View Post

Also forgot, this projector has MAJOR convergence issues.

See the attached photo. I feel like I have been gang raped by buying this PJ.

I always have doubts, but this is terrible.

Not sure what is going on here but it is not convergence. You may need to play with that unit, try a different test, or return it. I am not yet prepared to say the Acer is on the same level and doubt it ever will be due to componenets. There may be a few things Benq needs to sort out. Remember Acer was set to release the H5360BD a long time ago and that never happened here in the US. Probably just went right into 1080 with that plan and hence the H9500BD.

Hopefully there will be better reviews of the unit soon. If they are bad, then it is what it is.
post #119 of 3788
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I really hate the "pencil sketch" ghosting of my RS45, but other than that, it's hard for me to imagine a much better looking 3D display - mainly because of the great black level, and even more so because of the deep, rich native contrast. Those may be harder things to quantify (and certainly much more difficult things to take pictures of) than ghosting, but to me they're every bit as important. So, if you can, please try to address the relative strengths of the projectors in these areas. I'm not trying to influence the evaluation. I just don't know what the scope of your tests will be.

joseph - we are looking at the W7000 and the RS45 Mark brought over tonight. We watched the first 10 mins of bolt 3D, several scenes from Sammy's adventures, night scene in Avatar and a few scenes from the 3D Peter Gabriel concert.

We're letting the BenQ cool down and switching over to the RS45 soon. These new glasses from JVC are pretty small. I'm also going to run the MV3D's on the JVC as well.

@ Mike - from what I can see so far, the major strength is the 3D (no ghosting) and lack of flicker from the glasses. Color looks good in 3D too. The black levels are typical of the previous BenQ projectors, but it is spoiling when the HW30 and RS45 are sitting here.
post #120 of 3788
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbaba View Post

If it is the same as the W6000 -- go to the last menu page that has bulb hours and such. Hit up, down, up, down on the remote and you should be in. Hope it works.

hmm.. this didn't work. We are on the lamp info page, but no go. Do you have to hit anything else, or is it just up /down / up down?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › Official BenQ W7000 Owners Thread