or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › JVC RS 45 / Sony HW30 / BenQ W7000 / Epson 5010 mini-shootout
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JVC RS 45 / Sony HW30 / BenQ W7000 / Epson 5010 mini-shootout - Page 84

post #2491 of 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Interested in the micca as well. What else will I need to back up my blu ray collection?

Slysoft's AnyDVD HD. Once it's installed (and configured the way you want), you're a few simple clicks away from creating a Blu-ray or Blu-ray 3D iso file.
post #2492 of 3271
Oh, and you'll need lots of hard drive space to back up Blu-ray discs.
post #2493 of 3271
Interesting device, may get me one after the others in here have had it for a while longer and watched more content.
3TB holds how many 2 hour blurays these days with ALMOST lossless codec compression (barely lossy)?

I say almost lossless and I mean really to the point you cannot tell. I guess some of you are using straight lossless, but I'd probably try something slightly compressed to cram more onto one drive...
post #2494 of 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

Interesting device, may get me one after the others in here have had it for a while longer and watched more content.
3TB holds how many 2 hour blurays these days with ALMOST lossless codec compression (barely lossy)?

I say almost lossless and I mean really to the point you cannot tell. I guess some of you are using straight lossless, but I'd probably try something slightly compressed to cram more onto one drive...

60 movies x 50 GB = 3TB, roughly, though not all movies are a full 50GB. Probably about 70 movies. And that's with true lossless Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA. It's unlikely there are more than about 70 3D movies you'd want to own right now, so probably a personal 3D library would fit on one drive at this point in time. A personal 2D Blu-ray library? Much less likely. That's why some of us have large arrays for such libraries.
post #2495 of 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The models shipping from Amazon are already loaded with the latest firmware on their site. I've been using the v1 hardware for about 6 months now. Micca made a change to allow the correct 23.97 signal to output during 2D and 3D BD playback.

Thanks for the update, I just ordered one. At this price it is worth playing with.
Hope it really works well without too many issues. My unit will arrive on Wednesday.
post #2496 of 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post


Slysoft's AnyDVD HD. Once it's installed (and configured the way you want), you're a few simple clicks away from creating a Blu-ray or Blu-ray 3D iso file.

Thx for the info.
post #2497 of 3271
Thread Starter 
The case has a nice finish, it's metal and it doesn't feel cheap.

I like how the drive drops in, slide the edge connector and it's ready to go. There is a heat sink pad at the top of the case to keep the drive cool, but the green drives hardly generate any heat - especially compared the WD Black drive which is a toaster oven.

post #2498 of 3271
I have an external 3TB drive that I plan to try with it. It's USB 3.0.

Zombie, did you say it uses standard NTFS format, or did I imagine that?
post #2499 of 3271
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I have an external 3TB drive that I plan to try with it. It's USB 3.0.

Zombie, did you say it uses standard NTFS format, or did I imagine that?

NTFS is ok. I formatted the drive connected to a PC, moved over some data and the 950 reads it no problem.

3 generations of the media devices. The PCH-A110 was great for it's time, it could play back full M2TS files which was the main movie + HD audio. The PCH-C200 had a lot of growing pains, audio sync issues, etc. I haven't checked in a while to see if there are any updates. it sat idle since 2010 when I had the 3D HTPC setup. now full circle back to the media streamers.



While the HTPC is being retired for 2D and 3D playback, I am still a big fan of MCE7 + the Ceton card. The Ceton Quad tuner has been perfect for over 1 1/2 years now. Verizon FIOS looks great in MCE 7, you can't beat a good source and FIOS is about the best i've seen yet vs. satellite or cable.

I have 360's for extenders all over the house and got rid of the expensive set top rentals. In the rooms that don't have ethernet, I use the Motorola NIM100 MOCA bridges to bring 100MB in those rooms over coax.

post #2500 of 3271
I really like Win7 Media Center with the MyMovies GUI. I think I'll give it one more try, after doing a full system backup with Acronis, so I can restore everything if I have HDMI level issues.

I'll put my entire 3D collection on the 3TB drive and see how that goes with this new device, then see if there's any way to integrate the other films on my UnRaid servers within a GUI. Options are always nice.

I wish I had FIOS as an option. Dish HD, back in the early days, used to have much better image quality. These days, it's all about quantity, and the bandwidth is far too limited to maintain a really good looking picture.
post #2501 of 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Manni - Hi, as far as I can tell, it's a Micca only mod. It sounds like they had the OEM make a change to the hardware to create the correct NTSC output.

I'm testing it thoroughly over the next few days, but initial impressions are looking good so far. I haven't seen any skipping on the W7000, HW30 or the RS55.

if your interested once it's been validated, I can buy one and just send it to you in the UK. it's pretty cheap here in the US, much less than I paid for the 900B when I had it imported from the UK.

Thanks for the confirmation and thanks a lot for the offer, I'll let you know but for many reasons it's unlikely to happen if I have to import from the US. Maybe the changes will trickle up to the 900B at some point? In any case it's good to know the Realtek are able to provide proper 24p for both 2D and 3D.

My HTPC is working now (touching wood), and I'm still hoping that Dune will release a new model soon with either the 8910 (very unlikely) or a modified 86xx with HDMI 1.4 support (most likely). I really need MyMovies support and unfortunately Brian confirmed it wasn't on the table for the himedia/compatible models.

Please let us know your opinion when you've done more testing, I'll PM/email you if I have off topic questions...
post #2502 of 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I really like Win7 Media Center with the MyMovies GUI.

Since we all built up a collection of PCs over time, I add them to each room connected to Gigabit Ethernet.
I'm waiting for Windows 8 and purchasing a laptop with GPS built-in. In other words I want to use navigation yet maintain my privacy.
I use Power DVD Ultra and Virtual Clone Drive. I've have to disable three Cyberlink services and block several of the .exe programs from steaming advertising with Windows Firewall.
The key concept is that I remain the System Administrator, as no one else has my best interest in mind.
I read the reviews of the Micca player at Amazon. Nice hardware, but the usual frustrations.
The smartest advice I can give is to use the WASAPI add-on for pcm audio, to bypass the degrading effects of Windows audio processing. I use it for Foobar 2000 along with the new USB DAC speakers like the Adam Audio Artist series. No frustrations - just the next level of performance.

No back to 1:1 mapping, ghosting, flicker and bright, high contrast images.
post #2503 of 3271
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

Thanks for the confirmation and thanks a lot for the offer, I'll let you know but for many reasons it's unlikely to happen if I have to import from the US. Maybe the changes will trickle up to the 900B at some point? In any case it's good to know the Realtek are able to provide proper 24p for both 2D and 3D.

My HTPC is working now (touching wood), and I'm still hoping that Dune will release a new model soon with either the 8910 (very unlikely) or a modified 86xx with HDMI 1.4 support (most likely). I really need MyMovies support and unfortunately Brian confirmed it wasn't on the table for the himedia/compatible models.

Please let us know your opinion when you've done more testing, I'll PM/email you if I have off topic questions...

I've also been waiting for dune to come out with a 3D capable player. I don't have much faith for Popcorn hour after the C200 and A300, etc.

I used it for 4 hours last night on the W7000 going back and forth between 2D and 3D. it didn't skip a beat, I went through 20+ different 3D movies and a handful of 2D as well.. much faster than using PDVD or TMT 5. I can quickly scrub through the timeline and it picks right up as soon as I hit play.

The unusual thing is that I had skipping errors with the original 900b during certain 3D BD ISO playback. With nothing else changed except swapping in the EP950, it's perfect now. I even had the same firmware on the 900b, so this tells me something else changed - possibly a hardware update to the NIC.


** The Amazon reviews were all written before the 2nd rev was released which was just 3 days ago, i'd wait for feedback of the new models before making any judgements. There is a dedicated thread in the Network and Media area of the site.
post #2504 of 3271
Hmm - this Micca looks pretty interesting. Was thinking about getting a Dune, but this might be the better choice. What kind of UI does it have? I've got a WDTV Live Hub that I could move to the bedroom.
post #2505 of 3271
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Hmm - this Micca looks pretty interesting. Was thinking about getting a Dune, but this might be the better choice. What kind of UI does it have? I've got a WDTV Live Hub that I could move to the bedroom.

The interface is relatively sparse - just a directory listing of the file structure. The benefits are fast 2D and 3D BD ISO playback and direct play to skip all the BS that comes up when playing a BD. There are very few standalone players that can handle 3D BD this well.

PCH wasted too much time trying to make it look pretty and then had issues with audio sync, etc. I'd rather they get the basic playback right first.. then figure out how to bring in a jukebox style GUI. I believe YAMJ is working with data on the local drive and they are working on implementing it with network storage.
post #2506 of 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Since we all built up a collection of PCs over time, I add them to each room connected to Gigabit Ethernet.
I'm waiting for Windows 8 and purchasing a laptop with GPS built-in. In other words I want to use navigation yet maintain my privacy.
I use Power DVD Ultra and Virtual Clone Drive. I've have to disable three Cyberlink services and block several of the .exe programs from steaming advertising with Windows Firewall.
The key concept is that I remain the System Administrator, as no one else has my best interest in mind.
I read the reviews of the Micca player at Amazon. Nice hardware, but the usual frustrations.
The smartest advice I can give is to use the WASAPI add-on for pcm audio, to bypass the degrading effects of Windows audio processing. I use it for Foobar 2000 along with the new USB DAC speakers like the Adam Audio Artist series. No frustrations - just the next level of performance.

No back to 1:1 mapping, ghosting, flicker and bright, high contrast images.

Which Cyberlink services do you disable to get rid of the ads?
post #2507 of 3271
Ordered the Micca last night, now AnyDVD HD, then 3TB and I'm in business right?
post #2508 of 3271
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Ordered the Micca last night, now AnyDVD HD, then 3TB and I'm in business right?

that's pretty much it. Visit the Networking, Media Servers & Content Streamers for more info on using ANYDVDHD or the 950. There's a handful of HTPC/media streaming enthusiasts that visit the mini-shootout thread which is why I posted it here.
post #2509 of 3271
Thanks I'll check it out.
post #2510 of 3271
Ordered an Epson 6010 since my JVC 40 is just too damn dim for 3D. If the blacks and 2D are adequate on the Epson, I'll sell the JVC. If not, I'll decide what to do then. May just keep both and use one based on what I'm watching.

Anyway, the 6010 comes with two glasses so I'm covered for two people. My understand that the Xpand 103's don't work well with the Epson. I have several of these and want to confirm whether or not they will work. If not, what's the best glasses to use with the Epson (in addition to their own)?
post #2511 of 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Ordered an Epson 6010 since my JVC 40 is just too damn dim for 3D. If the blacks and 2D are adequate on the Epson, I'll sell the JVC. If not, I'll decide what to do then. May just keep both and use one based on what I'm watching.

Anyway, the 6010 comes with two glasses so I'm covered for two people. My understand that the Xpand 103's don't work well with the Epson. I have several of these and want to confirm whether or not they will work. If not, what's the best glasses to use with the Epson (in addition to their own)?

I use the Optoma which are the Less Expensive Version of
the MonsterVision glasses without paying the Monster Price.
They are RF -NOT IR - they are the BEST.
post #2512 of 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Ordered an Epson 6010 since my JVC 40 is just too damn dim for 3D. If the blacks and 2D are adequate on the Epson, I'll sell the JVC. If not, I'll decide what to do then. May just keep both and use one based on what I'm watching.

Anyway, the 6010 comes with two glasses so I'm covered for two people. My understand that the Xpand 103's don't work well with the Epson. I have several of these and want to confirm whether or not they will work. If not, what's the best glasses to use with the Epson (in addition to their own)?

The Sony PS3 glasses work well with the Epson 6010. They recharge via USB, so I keep a 4-port USB hub on the mantle and have four sets charging all the time. I don't like them quite as well as the ones that came with the Epson, but they're a lot cheaper. I picked some up from Best Buy for $40 on sale.
post #2513 of 3271
Thanks for the replies on the glasses. I'll research both options a go from there if I need to add any.

Can someone confirm that the X103s do NOT work with the 5010/6010s?
post #2514 of 3271
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post

Thanks for the replies on the glasses. I'll research both options a go from there if I need to add any.

Can someone confirm that the X103s do NOT work with the 5010/6010s?

I have the X104s that I was using for my JVC and what I've read is that they work with the Epson line. I don't use my JVC for 3D anymore so I was getting ready to unload the glasses. If you're interested PM me.
post #2515 of 3271
Quote:


60 movies x 50 GB = 3TB, roughly, though not all movies are a full 50GB. Probably about 70 movies. And that's with true lossless Dolby True HD or DTS HD MA. It's unlikely there are more than about 70 3D movies you'd want to own right now, so probably a personal 3D library would fit on one drive at this point in time. A personal 2D Blu-ray library? Much less likely. That's why some of us have large arrays for such libraries.

Does the Micca support 4TB drives? If I am going to drop a single drive into the machine itself, it might as well be the largest available for the moment...

My findings with the HiMedia 900A:

1. Plays 3D ISOs from a directly attached HD with no issues whatsoever...no stuttering and no frame dropping that I can detect.

2. Playing 3D ISOs with a USB attached drive is a hit or miss situation....plays some of them fine and stutters badly on others. I think it is a bitrate issue.

3. Playing either 2D MKV or 3D ISO over a gigabit network results in stuttering. Playing the same 2D files over the same network using J. River Media Center 17, Media Player Classic, or Zoomplayer or using the SageTV HD300 box results in flawless playback, so I am convinced that the problem is not in my network, but rather in HiMedia's poorly written Linux code.

4. Networking to the 900A is not the best...writing files to the directly attached hard drive is very slow, and when I delete a file, the free space is not recovered. I have to disconnect the drive from the 900A and attach it to a Windows machine to recover the space...very strange.

So, as long as I limit the HiMedia device to playing back 3D ISO files on the single drive I have directly attached, it works fine and I am happy enough. Even if the hardware is identical, if Micca's firmware can sort out some of the issues that HiMedia is not resolving, then it will be more than worth the price...
post #2516 of 3271
Quote:


It would be great if this device "just plain works."

I have owned 4 different units so far:

early Popcorn Hour - complete garbage
early HDX - complete garbage
HiMedia - works well enough, but has issues as described above
SageTV - Far and away the best player to date - nothing comes even close to its abilities as a 2D player in terms of networking smoothness, 24 FPS playback, features, interface, etc. It is just such a shame that Google bought them out (before they went 3D) just to shelve the entire product line...

Micca - just ordered one...
post #2517 of 3271
Thread Starter 
Bob, let me know what you think of it when you get it. My 2 issues with the 900b were the 24FPS bug and the skipping on some (not all) of my 3D BD ISO's over a fast 12TB NAS connected to a 2008 R2 Server with a Perc 6 raid controller. I know it was the 900b since MCE7/PDVD/TMT5 can stream them fine.

I was surprised when I swapped in the Micca 950 that all the 3D BD's I had issues with play fine now. I didn't change anything on the network side so it must be something in the player.

The 24FPS bug appears to be fixed as well, so 2D and 3D BD should play back fine now @ 23.97. None of the media streamers are perfect, but i'm quite happy now with this 950 over my 900b even though they look physically identical. You can't beat the price - it's almost a giveaway.
post #2518 of 3271
Quote:


Bob, let me know what you think of it when you get it.

Will do...I will report back here as soon as I get the unit and test it under varied conditions and connection types...the good, the bad, and the ugly...
post #2519 of 3271
So has anyone here compared the HW30 to the VW95? I know the 95 is way more, but how much better is the image quality of the VW95?
post #2520 of 3271
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

Will do...I will report back here as soon as I get the unit and test it under varied conditions and connection types...the good, the bad, and the ugly...

sounds good, i've run about 20+ 3D BD iso's through it so far and it's been behaving better than the 900b overall.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP › JVC RS 45 / Sony HW30 / BenQ W7000 / Epson 5010 mini-shootout