or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Redskinema - Nearing completion!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Redskinema - Nearing completion! - Page 16

post #451 of 605
sweet! getting there...when is the carpet installer coming smile.gif
post #452 of 605
Thread Starter 
I dunno I have to find one first! Ill be in travel during the week the next two weeks so ill have to make some phone calls and send pics to them. Should take about three weeks for it to arrive
post #453 of 605
Thread Starter 
Apparently they lied about the carpet. It's already ready and will probably be here next week!
post #454 of 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

Apparently they lied about the carpet. It's already ready and will probably be here next week!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

Apparently they lied about the carpet. It's already ready and will probably be here next week!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

Apparently they lied about the carpet. It's already ready and will probably be here next week!

 

Wow, you're so excited you're stuttering biggrin.gif

post #455 of 605
Thread Starter 
Lol this site always has a hard time in my iPhone, iPad and my Mac. It makes my Mac run super hot and slows everything down. If I use safari it crashes so I use chrome. I don't know why it gives macs a fit so much
post #456 of 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

Lol this site always has a hard time in my iPhone, iPad and my Mac. It makes my Mac run super hot and slows everything down. If I use safari it crashes so I use chrome. I don't know why it gives macs a fit so much

Yeah it's horrible on my droid too.. took me almost a half hour to get pictures uploaded, I had to resort to uploading 3 individually because the page would just go black mid upload mad.gif...
post #457 of 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

Lol this site always has a hard time in my iPhone, iPad and my Mac. It makes my Mac run super hot and slows everything down. If I use safari it crashes so I use chrome. I don't know why it gives macs a fit so much

Not sure if you all use Dropbox, but I am an avid user for personal use and business use. I have been for a couple of years. I usually take my photos with my iPhone and then using the Dropbox app, I upload them directly my Dropbox cloud. Then I just jump on one of my computers (that have Dropbox installed on them) and upload pics to the AVS site. I can also upload the pics to AVS from my iPad - cause that too has the Dropbox app - but a PC is a little more user friendly and quicker...

Dropbox is KING in my book. biggrin.gif
post #458 of 605
TBL, thanks for the tip on dropbox. I will check it out. Until now I had been having to take the pics from my iphone to iphoto and then still needing to export them somewhere else before finally being able to upload them to avs.

I saw the PS4 listed in your gear list. Surely you don't have one yet right? Or do you have a dev kit?
post #459 of 605
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

Not sure if you all use Dropbox, but I am an avid user for personal use and business use. I have been for a couple of years. I usually take my photos with my iPhone and then using the Dropbox app, I upload them directly my Dropbox cloud. Then I just jump on one of my computers (that have Dropbox installed on them) and upload pics to the AVS site. I can also upload the pics to AVS from my iPad - cause that too has the Dropbox app - but a PC is a little more user friendly and quicker...

Dropbox is KING in my book. biggrin.gif

I use drop box but I never thought about it for this, I agree it would work great. There's been plenty of times that I've emailed pics and that takes forever

Separately, buy my projector. Seriously you'll get far better picture than the options you listed and can have an anamorphic lens!
post #460 of 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

TBL, thanks for the tip on dropbox. I will check it out. Until now I had been having to take the pics from my iphone to iphoto and then still needing to export them somewhere else before finally being able to upload them to avs.

I saw the PS4 listed in your gear list. Surely you don't have one yet right? Or do you have a dev kit?

Correct, the PS4 will be added when they hit the shelves (and of course after I finish the room). My 5 year-old and 7 year-old kids are planning to ask for one from Santa! biggrin.gif
post #461 of 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

I use drop box but I never thought about it for this, I agree it would work great. There's been plenty of times that I've emailed pics and that takes forever

Separately, buy my projector. Seriously you'll get far better picture than the options you listed and can have an anamorphic lens!

Why did you decide not to use it in your theater? Perhaps I should consider your offer, huh? I don't know anything about Runco...

ENLIGHTEN ME THRU A PM! biggrin.gif

HOW FAR UP IN JERSEY ARE YOU? FROM MD?
post #462 of 605
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

Why did you decide not to use it in your theater? Perhaps I should consider your offer, huh? I don't know anything about Runco...

ENLIGHTEN ME THRU A PM! biggrin.gif

HOW FAR UP IN JERSEY ARE YOU? FROM MD?

PM Sent

and for anyone that cares. I never intended on buying two projectors. I just love LEDs and couldnt resist when I found the Q projector as a demo. I didnt know at the time the anamorphic lens I bought wouldnt work with it so I had to get another one.

In hindsight I should have never bought the original projector but when you find a good deal its hard to pass it up. I thought its all I would have ever needed. The installer I was working with at the time raved about it and used it in the majority of his installs. Id love to keep both but even with GetGrey giving me a great deal it was still a huge unplanned expense that broke the budget. I just need to recoup the money from the original to pay my credit card bill this month with the carpet and chairs!
post #463 of 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post

Correct, the PS4 will be added when they hit the shelves (and of course after I finish the room). My 5 year-old and 7 year-old kids are planning to ask for one from Santa! biggrin.gif

Ha ha! Yeah, I am pretty sure my kids will be "asking Santa" for game consoles too in 5-7 years when the next ones come along. They are too young for me to get away with it this round.

I also have the PS4 on preorder. You are probably well aware but the Xbox One looks like a really cool piece of gear for a home theater and I went ahead and preordered one of those too. The demo's they showed are really cool. I can't wait to play around with it this fall in my room.

I bet quite a few dedicated room enthusiasts would be interested to try something like this out for themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqvd06mrIrM

(Sorry not trying to pollute the thread just thought people might be intrigued.)
post #464 of 605
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Ha ha! Yeah, I am pretty sure my kids will be "asking Santa" for game consoles too in 5-7 years when the next ones come along. They are too young for me to get away with it this round.

I also have the PS4 on preorder. You are probably well aware but the Xbox One looks like a really cool piece of gear for a home theater and I went ahead and preordered one of those too. The demo's they showed are really cool. I can't wait to play around with it this fall in my room.

I bet quite a few dedicated room enthusiasts would be interested to try something like this out for themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqvd06mrIrM

(Sorry not trying to pollute the thread just thought people might be intrigued.)


Haha no worries. Stay tuned for pics later, lots of progress today!!
post #465 of 605
Thread Starter 
ugh, always takes forever to upload photos... but itll be worth the wait. Todays progress makes a tremendous difference one the look
post #466 of 605
Thread Starter 
Alright heres the pics. First from yesterday, picking up the chairs.

Here they are in the truck

LL

Here they are in my garage, unfortunately not in the theater yet...Roman accidentally was one short on the removable arm rests. You can see the one on top of the boxes below.

LL

Lyndsey was curious about the arm rests of the chairs so I took pics at Romans warehouse. Here they are for anyones reference

LL

LL
post #467 of 605
Thread Starter 
We started the day finishing the Vanilla fabric in the front of the room.

LL

and the other side

LL

I still need to do the foam and fabric around the HVAC unit and door. Also, I think the ceiling treatment will be the vanillla. But for now the vanilla fabric is complete
post #468 of 605
Thread Starter 
Next we did the rear corners of the theater. These cover the bass traps in the corner. Im really happy with how it came out. Again, the size and angle match across the theater with the steps, soffit, stage, and stage corners. Everything has the same length and angles.

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL


The black in photos matches really well. You can tell in person its not as matte as the paint but it still looks good. This is the more acoustically transparent fabric since everywhere else it will have speakers behind it
post #469 of 605
Thread Starter 
We were moving pretty quick with the fabric, and its instant gratification so we moved onto the stage.

First, if you recall I had empty places in any of the columns that the corner would interfere with the speakers.Now that the fabrics going up I had to put the dowels that I bought in those places. Here are the HUGE half inch pin nails I used lol

LL

This is the dowel on the stage right column. I forgot about the dowel at first so some of the fabric is on

LL

LL

And here is the column complete, it came out great!

LL

and the other side

LL

if you take a photo with a bright flash you can see the wood behind the fabric, but otherwise you cant

LL

LL

the dowel worked well holding the edge

LL

LL

I still need to paint the bottom lift piece below the column. As a reminder, that is there so it keeps the column above the carpet and makes it removable.

LL

Heres both sides, and the sub in place

LL

and after some cleaning up

LL

LL

LL
post #470 of 605
Thread Starter 
Moving along, we did the box under the screen next. I wasnt sure how this was going to look originally but I'm really happy with it. I still might add some decorative molding but if I dont its a very clean look and all the seams match up perfectly

LL

I still need to tighten the bottom of the felt but it will be a quick fix later

LL

LL

LL

Trying out the stage!

LL
post #471 of 605
Thread Starter 
We were really pleased with how the stage turned out so we moved onto one of the other columns. Again, first I needed to put the dowel in. This is the front right wide speaker

LL

LL

Thinking ahead, after putting the fabric on this one we realized the dowel under tension bent in a little. Its hard to notice but Ive been so anal about everything else. Ill go back later and add two supports in. When I did another column I did it before the fabric. Heres a pic of that

LL

and wrapped. again, came out great! Another reminder, eventually there will be a chair rail above and below the vanilla fabric and also on the column inserts.

LL

This picture is a tease because on one side it shows how sick its all going to look finished, but on the right its the area I still need to do the foam...

LL

LL
post #472 of 605
Thread Starter 
ok last pics of a very productive day. These are just some wider shots to show how the room is coming along. Im going on travel for work this week but this was a great step towards being ready for the carpet. I still have to finish the fabric on five columns. At that point if the carpet is here it can go in. I have to paint all the molding and put it up. Put up the screen and lens. Get a door and put it up...including the foam on it to match the other walls. I need to put all the access panels in the soffit. And build the ceiling treatment. Plus, build shelves in the equipment room for everything and put that door on. It sounds like a lot when you write it out, and honestly the reality is things always take longer than you think. But either its really taking shape!!

LL

LL

LL

LL
post #473 of 605
Thread Starter 
I'm disappointed to have to travel for work. I wish I could spend some more time down there.

Though I really need to spend a solid day cleaning the basement and that won't be fun. Now that fabric is up I want to keep dust down no might move the saws to the garage.
post #474 of 605
Thread Starter 
Well since no one has comments about the theater progress but people always post about random things ill post that I kegged two more beers I made before heading to the airport. I tried one and it was great. A session beer, rare for me, that's full of flavor. Bright citrus notes but with a stout like roasted backbone, amber color.
post #475 of 605
Will you be sad if we come drink it for you while you're away? It sounds good -

Theater's looking good too. wink.gif

What's the story on the dowels? I see what they do - similar to the pipes that Damelon and BIG used in the Bacon Race build - bu how did you fasten them and are they made of anything special? Would you do it differently (other than the supports) if you did it again?
post #476 of 605
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Will you be sad if we come drink it for you while you're away? It sounds good -

Theater's looking good too. wink.gif

What's the story on the dowels? I see what they do - similar to the pipes that Damelon and BIG used in the Bacon Race build - bu how did you fasten them and are they made of anything special? Would you do it differently (other than the supports) if you did it again?

You can try and drink it all while I'm gone. There's almost 50 gallons of beer so good luck!

I didn't even look at what they did in those two theaters no just needed to minimize speaker obstruction. I got square dowels from Home Depot. I got a few sizes and went with the smallest. I just used my pin nailer and didnt have any issues. I'd do it that way again. Ill let you know how they hold up over time.
post #477 of 605
I am getting ready to do the same type of removable fabric panel construction for my LR Speaker columns. I was planning on making 3 separate panels bc I wasn't sure if it would all stay straight but it looks like yours is just a single panel. Is it holding in place ok? Using Velcro? Any tips on how you did the little trim at the bottom to have something g to grab onto when removing the panel?
post #478 of 605
Looks fantastic! Nice and clean. Great job.
post #479 of 605
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

I am getting ready to do the same type of removable fabric panel construction for my LR Speaker columns. I was planning on making 3 separate panels bc I wasn't sure if it would all stay straight but it looks like yours is just a single panel. Is it holding in place ok? Using Velcro? Any tips on how you did the little trim at the bottom to have something g to grab onto when removing the panel?

I would say that if you want it straight make it one panel. I had planned on doing multiple but it's a lot more solid if its one.yo find perfectly straight lumber and line up edges not under tension would be hard. I bought magnets and metal strips but didn't need any of it.

Behind the piece I have tracks that guide it. So the fabric is going to bend it in slightly under tension then be pushed into place with the track. This allows it to exactly line up each time.
Mt he piece under it is just plywood cut to shape match the bottom of the column to raise it up 3/4. If it were to go all the way to the floor you wouldn't be able to angle it to pull it out.

I can take closer up pics when I get home
post #480 of 605
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Looks fantastic! Nice and clean. Great job.

Thanks man, it's always nice to hear from someone with one of the more premier and well known theaters on the site. It's still missing the carpet/ceiling treatment and a lot of wood work but it'll keep a cleaner look. I was big on all the symmetry and matching.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › Redskinema - Nearing completion!