or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Grove Theater and Basement Build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Grove Theater and Basement Build - Page 37

post #1081 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Is this what I am looking for as far as an electric knife? Seems like it would catch, snag, and eventually break trying to cut through acoustic cotton.
post #1082 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Thanks Damelon. That would be great if you could post a pic of your wall. I was going back through your build but couldn't find a close-up of the trim with the panels.

Well this morning I was so concerned over remembering something else, that I remembered to snap some close-up photos. It's not exactly the perfect side image but here are two slightly different ones.



and closer up

post #1083 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Thanks Damelon! Really appreciate the pictures. After seeing these I am definitely leaning towards using 1/2" material instead of 3/4" so that I get a similar effect.
post #1084 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Thanks Damelon! Really appreciate the pictures. After seeing these I am definitely leaning towards using 1/2" material instead of 3/4" so that I get a similar effect.

Cool. Yeah, I believe we intended that the trim match up with the end of the beveled edge of the frame. We didn't do an angle bevel on the trim because this would cause the edges to be much further recessed behind the edge of the bevel on the frame. Instead we did a curved edge on the trim, which is gentler, and ended up working great to seem to match up the edge of the curve to the end of the frame's angled bevel.

Curved edged on MDF though are not fun to paint!!! They really suck up latex paint and you have to slather it on.
post #1085 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Is this what I am looking for as far as an electric knife? Seems like it would catch, snag, and eventually break trying to cut through acoustic cotton.

I heard electric knives worked very well. I tried to use a scissor (It will go immediately dull) - then i tried a razor box opener (dont even attempt) - I ended up getting an Insul Knife (With sharpener) http://www.amazon.com/Cepco-Tool-IK-10-CEPCO-Insul-Knife/dp/B0009MZI4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370011093&sr=8-1&keywords=insul+knife (This is it, but you might find it cheaper elsewhere) - This does work, but you have to sharpen it often, and it requires several cuts to get through, but it does cut a nice straight edge! This knife also slices through OC703 like butter. It also was very helpful with Fiberglass batting. Keep in mind, cutting cotton insulation is not easy, and will require work, so maybe an electric knife is the way to go.... as long as it doesn't tear up the cotton.
post #1086 of 1268
Thread Starter 
That is my worry as well. I haven't dealt with electric knives much before but it seems like it would snag easily in the cotton. Even if it does cut well in the beginning how long will that last before the blades are dull? And these cheaper knives don't have a sharpening tool as far as I can tell. Crazy how something so soft can dull a blade so quickly.

I did see that knife that you used but I was hoping to avoid dropping $50 to cut cotton, especially since it is such a specialized tool that I won't have much use for after this task. And I am not a big fan of trying to sell on Craigs list.
post #1087 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

That is my worry as well. I haven't dealt with electric knives much before but it seems like it would snag easily in the cotton. Even if it does cut well in the beginning how long will that last before the blades are dull? And these cheaper knives don't have a sharpening tool as far as I can tell. Crazy how something so soft can dull a blade so quickly.

I did see that knife that you used but I was hoping to avoid dropping $50 to cut cotton, especially since it is such a specialized tool that I won't have much use for after this task. And I am not a big fan of trying to sell on Craigs list.

How soon do you need it? I have mine and the sharpener. No unfinished space left in my house. If you want it and pay for shipping I'll send them to you for free.
post #1088 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Wow! That is a great offer! I have so many other things on my list to do so if I get it in the next week or two that would be fantastic. PM me the shipping costs and I can also throw in a little extra to offset your initial expenditure.

Thanks Damelon, this is a very nice gesture.
post #1089 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Wow! That is a great offer! I have so many other things on my list to do so if I get it in the next week or two that would be fantastic. PM me the shipping costs and I can also throw in a little extra to offset your initial expenditure.

Thanks Damelon, this is a very nice gesture.

No problem! I'm not really a hoarder. Some things you just don't need anymore. I ended up giving away the rest of my cotton insulation / oc703 because it was just a big space waste and too big to ship. Things like RC clips people need all of the time and I was able to re-sell my leftovers for half price. This however I don't see myself needing again!
post #1090 of 1268
Thread Starter 
GO PACERS!!!
post #1091 of 1268
^^^^^^Ditto!


Regards,


RTROSE
post #1092 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Insulation saw on it's way thanks to Damelon. Thanks again D! smile.gif Should definitely help with the cuts I have to make on the acoustic cotton. Saw should be here sometime next week so hopefully next weekend I can put it to use. biggrin.gif
post #1093 of 1268
vanice, fantastic thread I have only read up to page 12 or so (just started this weekend) where you are trying to figure out patterns for the walls (remember that). Anyway it's all like a good book, can't wait for the end. This is one of the threads that make AVS forum so great. Anyway great job and outstanding build quality. Good for you.
post #1094 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TITANS1 View Post

vanice, fantastic thread I have only read up to page 12 or so (just started this weekend) where you are trying to figure out patterns for the walls (remember that). Anyway it's all like a good book, can't wait for the end. This is one of the threads that make AVS forum so great. Anyway great job and outstanding build quality. Good for you.

Wow! Thanks for the great compliments! That does seem like a long time ago. Wish I had the time to work now like I did back then. Unfortunately for the theater my efforts have kinda switched to the rest of the basement now. Hoping to have it completely finished by the end of the year. That doesn't mean that the theater won't progress, it will just be at a very very slow pace I'm afraid.

Anyway, thanks for following along. Hopefully one of these days there will be a finished theater to view. rolleyes.gif
post #1095 of 1268
Thread Starter 
I did do a little bit of work in the basement on Sunday. Most of the time was spent outside the theater but I did get one more panel up (panel was made I just had to wrap it).

Top panel going in. First pic is no flash...



Now with flash...



There is a small gap showing to the right of the gray panel. I have worked the panels to reduce that gap but there is still a slight one. You can't see the wood unless you use a flashlight or a camera flash. I may hit all these joint locations with some black paint to reduce the chance of seeing wood in the cracks.

It's time to make a trip to the home improvement store for some MDF as that comes next.

And an FYI for those looking for ways to attach panels to the walls and thinking about velcro. I tried pulling one of the green panels off the wall to adjust slightly and it was stuck really well. But I was able to remove the top portion, adjust, and then reinstall without any damage to the velcro on the back. Success in my book.
post #1096 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Wow! Thanks for the great compliments! That does seem like a long time ago. Wish I had the time to work now like I did back then. Unfortunately for the theater my efforts have kinda switched to the rest of the basement now. Hoping to have it completely finished by the end of the year. That doesn't mean that the theater won't progress, it will just be at a very very slow pace I'm afraid.

Anyway, thanks for following along. Hopefully one of these days there will be a finished theater to view. rolleyes.gif

looks great .... doing a whole basement as opposed to just building theater is fun for sure (sarcasm there).... the to do list is never ending... good luck! before you know it you will be in the finishing stages and you will look back and be like wow two years flew by LOL!
post #1097 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

looks great .... doing a whole basement as opposed to just building theater is fun for sure (sarcasm there).... the to do list is never ending... good luck! before you know it you will be in the finishing stages and you will look back and be like wow two years flew by LOL!

Thanks snickers! Yes, one or the other would have been just fine but trying to do both at the same time is crazy. One is going to get neglected. Early on it was the rest of the basement taking a backseat to the theater. Now that the theater is somewhat operational the rest of the basement has moved back to the top of the priority list. It doesn't seem like I have a lot left to do but when you only get about 1 day total each week to work on it things seem to take forever to get done. Your basement/theater are looking phenomenal by the way.
post #1098 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Thanks snickers! Yes, one or the other would have been just fine but trying to do both at the same time is crazy. One is going to get neglected. Early on it was the rest of the basement taking a backseat to the theater. Now that the theater is somewhat operational the rest of the basement has moved back to the top of the priority list. It doesn't seem like I have a lot left to do but when you only get about 1 day total each week to work on it things seem to take forever to get done. Your basement/theater are looking phenomenal by the way.

i get about 2 to 3 days a week to work on mine i still have to finish trim in game room area, still need to finish the bathroom and the the bar... the bathroom is the one i am dreading the most.... there is another bathroom at the top of the steps so maybe i will just shut and lock the unfinished bathroom door for now LOL
post #1099 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

i get about 2 to 3 days a week to work on mine i still have to finish trim in game room area, still need to finish the bathroom and the the bar... the bathroom is the one i am dreading the most.... there is another bathroom at the top of the steps so maybe i will just shut and lock the unfinished bathroom door for now LOL

Trim and paint are the main things I have left in the majority of the basement. Not counting flooring as someone else besides me will be installing the carpeting. I have a bathroom I am working on as well. I'm actually excited to get going on it as it will be nice to have a bathroom (with urinial biggrin.gif) so close to the theater. The part I am not looking forward to is the cost of all the tiling in there. That will be painful. Started putting my backer board up yesterday. Hoping to find a little time this week to put some primer on the walls.
post #1100 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Trim and paint are the main things I have left in the majority of the basement. Not counting flooring as someone else besides me will be installing the carpeting. I have a bathroom I am working on as well. I'm actually excited to get going on it as it will be nice to have a bathroom (with urinial biggrin.gif) so close to the theater. The part I am not looking forward to is the cost of all the tiling in there. That will be painful. Started putting my backer board up yesterday. Hoping to find a little time this week to put some primer on the walls.

you can come do mine LOL!!

our Avatar's are so close people are going to think your talking to yourself:eek:
post #1101 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

you can come do mine LOL!!

our Avatar's are so close people are going to think your talking to yourself:eek:

Only if you want to build and wrap about 70 more panels for me. wink.gif

Ha, I never noticed that. Maybe I can change my light color to green.

Me2: That would be a good idea. You don't see too many theaters with green LED lighting.

Me1: Thanks. I am a problem solver extraordinaire.

Me2: That is true. Haven't seen too many problems come across this thread that you couldn't find an answer to.

Me1: Stop it. You're making me blush...
post #1102 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Only if you want to build and wrap about 70 more panels for me. wink.gif

Ha, I never noticed that. Maybe I can change my light color to green.

Me2: That would be a good idea. You don't see too many theaters with green LED lighting.

Me1: Thanks. I am a problem solver extraordinaire.

Me2: That is true. Haven't seen too many problems come across this thread that you couldn't find an answer to.

Me1: Stop it. You're making me blush...

LMAO!!!!!!
post #1103 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Insulation saw has arrived. Ready to go cut some stuff with it, if I can find the time. Stay tuned for a review. Has to be better than my score and cut with scissors method right?? We'll see...
post #1104 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Well, I had some time last night to try out the insulation saw. Here is my take.

My previous method was scoring with a knife and then using scissors to cut. This method gave me a good clean edge but cutting long distance with scissors led to blisters quick.

Using the saw was still pretty labor intensive. I tried cutting fast and cutting slow with varying pressure. I seemed to have the best results with applying good pressure and cutting slower. I tried to make sure that the blade was sharpened between each cut. Overall I think the saw is a better method that trimmed (pun intended smile.gif) my cut time by about 40%. It was also easier on my hands during the cut. Keeping the blade sharp is key and it seems to dull pretty quickly. For really short cuts the scissors are the better method.

So I think the saw will definitely help me get through this part of the project faster. I thought I might put all the cotton up before I have the panels ready but after last night I'm not sure that it would be the wise way to go. We'll see the next time I find a few minutes to work down there.
post #1105 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Well, I had some time last night to try out the insulation saw. Here is my take.

My previous method was scoring with a knife and then using scissors to cut. This method gave me a good clean edge but cutting long distance with scissors led to blisters quick.

Using the saw was still pretty labor intensive. I tried cutting fast and cutting slow with varying pressure. I seemed to have the best results with applying good pressure and cutting slower. I tried to make sure that the blade was sharpened between each cut. Overall I think the saw is a better method that trimmed (pun intended smile.gif) my cut time by about 40%. It was also easier on my hands during the cut. Keeping the blade sharp is key and it seems to dull pretty quickly. For really short cuts the scissors are the better method.

So I think the saw will definitely help me get through this part of the project faster. I thought I might put all the cotton up before I have the panels ready but after last night I'm not sure that it would be the wise way to go. We'll see the next time I find a few minutes to work down there.

I think my take was pretty close to that. It definitely requires use of a consistent amount of force on the knife. I too had to play with how fast I went, the angle I used the knife between vertical and horizontal, etc. That cotton is a major pain to cut. But I was able to cut clean edges regularly. In fact I believe for the majority of our panels, we purposely made them so that they had a 2' cavity or so. This usually meant we only needed to cut them to shorten the piece's overall length to fit the panel. The OC703 on the other hand was simple to cut. I think too for the cotton we just took a long board or level/ruler and pressed it down along where we wanted the line to use as a cutting guide. It was only a day to get all of the pieces cut, but BIG had already made all of the panels by that time and it was sort of an assembly line from there. I didn't yet have the insul-knife when I did the front wall, and that was a nightmare to cut. Most of the edges there were not straight and I was getting really fed up, that's why I ordered it. Cotton in general is not a pleasant material to cut. Maybe we need to pioneer a new tool !
post #1106 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Others have said electric knife but I don't see it doing very well after a cut or two. I think it would just snag and hang up too much. If only I worked in lasers. Sounds like a fun way to make a few cuts. biggrin.gif
post #1107 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Started building my speaker stands over the weekend. Ran out of time before I could get the tops cut. Once I get the tops cut and attached then it's just a matter of a quick coat of black paint and then getting them set in place. I'll try and take a few pictures of them once I get back down to work on them.

Any reason to put spikes on them to get the support down through the carpet/pad and to the stage structure below? I hadn't planned on it but I thought I might throw it out there just in case someone has a compelling reason to do so.
post #1108 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Another delivery today. Hope this helps tame the IB.

IMG_2544.jpg



Pardon my Noobness...

What is that for ?
post #1109 of 1268
Thread Starter 
It is for EQing my IB sub. Unfortunately my room is not far enough along yet for me to be using it. Once I have all the treatments done then I plan to use REW to help me dial in the sound.
post #1110 of 1268
Great job on the Fabric Panels so far. Thank you for not posting picks of your bathroom work because I think it is not appropriate for members to get into that stuff on here. Great use of judgement regarding that. Just to confirm, you used the Insul-Knife to cut your Acoustical Cotton? I know that Damelon sent his to you but I was not sure what kind.

Can you provide a pick of where your electrical outlet is for your RGB LED Rope light in both the riser and the Tray Ceiling? I know you mentioned it before but I did not see a final pic of your Electrical Outlets for those rope lights (not the columns).

Also, what color paint did you use for those Fabric Panel frames (what color black)?

I have to admit that the use of fabric on a cylinder shaped column stretches my mind beyond anything and makes me re-think everything possible about column design!!!!!!!! Just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
I would have been stupid and clueless and spent $$$$$$ on a prebuilt cylinder for column but thanks to your sharing here with that............... I am inspired!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of seating to you imagine your self getting in the future?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Grove Theater and Basement Build