or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Grove Theater and Basement Build
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Grove Theater and Basement Build - Page 27

post #781 of 1268
We can certainly provide any Zero product manufactured.
post #782 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Ok, thanks Ted. I will email John back and see what the costs are and availability. I plan to install blocking under it and use acoustic caulking to fill any voids so flanking should be at a minimum.
post #783 of 1268
Technically speaking, you will already have a big 'ol piece of blocking underneath this threshold. You're just putting on a decorative cap that has grooved channels which....coincidentally....function as mini air-gaps.

Perhaps in my young age I have old ears, but I was very happy with the result and couldn't really hear much of anything, even when on my hands and knees towards the bottom of the door with the theater turned up to normal listening levels.

A "cheat" to use when dialing in all of your door seals is to get the brightest halogen work lamps you can shining directly at the seals on the opposite side of the door from where you are at. Anywhere you see light you will need to pay a bit more attention on your sealing system. With the automatic door bottom properly cut, I couldn't see any light when it was resting on this treshold - even in the corners. I added the surface-mounted sweep for good measure, but I think that was more psychological than anything. It was cheap, so I did it.
post #784 of 1268
Thread Starter 
I was thinking the same thing which is why I asked them to go ahead and quote me the cost for a 36" (theater) and a 32" (equipment room). Add in a little acoustic caulk and I think it should seal up pretty well. If it fails then I pull it out and find a hunk of stone to throw in there. tongue.gif
post #785 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Carpet is currently going in! biggrin.gif
post #786 of 1268
Finally got to the end of your post, I am completely hooked on these theater builds. Making me want to get started on my next one. Good luck with the carpet.
post #787 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Carpet is currently going in! biggrin.gif

Nice Vanice! Can't wait to see the photos!
post #788 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Carpet is currently going in! biggrin.gif

Excellent - when they leave you will feel like you have a real theater!!!
post #789 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Thanks everyone! Carpet is complete and I am 95% satisfied. Pictures to come later tonight. Stay tuned!
post #790 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

Thanks everyone! Carpet is complete and I am 95% satisfied. Pictures to come later tonight. Stay tuned!
You're such a tease! Must see carpet pics! tongue.gif
post #791 of 1268
Thread Starter 
To start, a few pictures from the early weeks work. Here are some shots of the riser nosings after painting.









I also put a quick shot of black paint on the nails holding the Knauf that will be behind the screen.



And all of the 4Pi's now have a primer coating.

So this is the room as it stood at 2am this morning.















And I realized this today that I made a miscalculation in the location of the threshold. Tends to happen when you are trying to wrap up work at 2 in the morning. rolleyes.gif I didn't allow enough carpet to tuck under the Zero threshold. But after seeing the 3/4" MDF that I used as a place holder I may go back to the 3/4" black painted Oak threshold that I was initially going to go with.





And a little blue tape to try and protect things...



post #792 of 1268
Wow vanice! I was just behind you and you are getting carpet!

Seriously looks really nice and looking forward to carpet pics. Could you tell me if you used any special paint on the bullnose?
post #793 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Drum roll please!!!

Installers showed up around 9am to begin. Two guys installed the theater room and equipment room (had enough extra carpet to do the equipment room which wasn't originally planned at this time) in approx. 3 hours. Very happy with their work. Here we go!





This pic shows the one issue I have with the install. Can you see it?



Unfortunately I didn't notice the carpet on the step running the wrong direction until after the installer had left. After a call to Lowe's, the installer will be back to swap it out for a piece that runs the same direction as everything else.

The fabric and the carpet work really well together.









And a few close-ups of the carpet.





And finally, a couple shots of the threshold.





Like I said, I am leaning towards the 3/4" oak painted black like the riser nosings. With a small chamfer I think it will work well. Having that MDF place holder showed me a preview of what I could expect. At least I don't have to rush a decision at this point. cool.gif

So in the end I am very happy with the carpet and the color I went with. We did the upgraded pad and it is super comfortable. Oh man, can't wait to keep pushing forward and work on the screen wall this weekend!
post #794 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexMan View Post

Wow vanice! I was just behind you and you are getting carpet!
Seriously looks really nice and looking forward to carpet pics. Could you tell me if you used any special paint on the bullnose?

Thanks for the compliments. I used a porch and floor enamel that I found at Sherwin Williams. They dyed it tricorn black for me to match the other painted wood. Pretty thick stuff. We shall see how it holds up.
post #795 of 1268
Looks great. I'm leaning towards a painted oak threshold myself. Getting one fabricated from a scrap piece of granite backsplash was going to cost $175 and nobody really wanted to mess with such a small job. If it's painted wood, I can do it myself.

I'm glad the wrong-way carpet was your only issue. That's an easy fix.

Love how everything is coming together.
post #796 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Looks great. I'm leaning towards a painted oak threshold myself. Getting one fabricated from a scrap piece of granite backsplash was going to cost $175 and nobody really wanted to mess with such a small job. If it's painted wood, I can do it myself.
I'm glad the wrong-way carpet was your only issue. That's an easy fix.
Love how everything is coming together.

Thanks Spaceman. I found the same thing when I visited a local stone shop. I was going to go with the Zero threshold until I screwed up the placeholder location. rolleyes.gif My original plan was wood to begin with so it's not like I am settling.
post #797 of 1268
Vanice,

It looks great - I sure am glad we talked you into the darker carpet choice. :-)

How's the clearance for your riser LEDs?
post #798 of 1268
Hey now wait just a minute and hold the phone! My "Calibrated Carpet Radar" just went off and I find someone has the audacity to get carpet without a Certified Carpet Counselor? Sheesh man.....Sacrilege! What are you doing man! Good thing for you Cuzed was here to help you though, (he is one of my brightest pupils) and get you to a carpet worthy of a theater such as yours.

Actually, I'm obviously very late to the party and Vik had talked to me about your build and visit to his theater. Not sure what rock I have been living under lately but I have certainly overlooked your build thread. I'll be going through your thread to get caught up on the goings on. You do have a great space and what is shaping up to be a fantastic theater. I feel like I have let a fellow Hoosier down not being there from the start to harangue and harass you from the start.

Regards,

RTROSE
post #799 of 1268
Looks fantastic Vanice! The finish line is in sight. You going to have time to do the screen wall this weekend?
post #800 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post

Vanice,
It looks great - I sure am glad we talked you into the darker carpet choice. :-)
How's the clearance for your riser LEDs?

Me too! You guys were right when you said it would look a little lighter once there was more of it. It still darkens the room but once the screen is in and reflecting light it will brighten back up some. There is still a gap but I haven't checked to see if they fit. I will probably have to do a little surgery to remove some excess glue I left to make sure they fit but I think overall the gap turned out well. Glad I caught it before I got too far along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Hey now wait just a minute and hold the phone! My "Calibrated Carpet Radar" just went off and I find someone has the audacity to get carpet without a Certified Carpet Counselor? Sheesh man.....Sacrilege! What are you doing man! Good thing for you Cuzed was here to help you though, (he is one of my brightest pupils) and get you to a carpet worthy of a theater such as yours.
Actually, I'm obviously very late to the party and Vik had talked to me about your build and visit to his theater. Not sure what rock I have been living under lately but I have certainly overlooked your build thread. I'll be going through your thread to get caught up on the goings on. You do have a great space and what is shaping up to be a fantastic theater. I feel like I have let a fellow Hoosier down not being there from the start to harangue and harass you from the start.
Regards,
RTROSE

Thanks RT! Nice to have you along. This build still has a ways to go to be called complete, harass away! wink.gif I had good help getting me to a final carpet decision but it still means a lot to have the RT stamp of approval. biggrin.gif Don't be a stranger now that carpet is done though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Looks fantastic Vanice! The finish line is in sight. You going to have time to do the screen wall this weekend?

Thanks a lot GWCR! I am really happy with the way it turned out. I just finished building the front columns for the "minimalist wall" and will work on the crossbar and a coat of paint tomorrow morning. It would be great if I could have the support installed tomorrow afternoon (assuming the paint dries enough) but I'm not sure if I will get to the screen or not. Maybe on Sunday but I have plans that will take up most of my day.
post #801 of 1268
Wow! That looks great vanice! I think that the darker color turned out really nice.

I was just going back through your thread and saw all of the discussions on soundproofing and framing. It's amazing to see how quickly the room (and the whole basement for that matter) has been transformed.

Keep up the good work! You're almost there. biggrin.gif
Edited by aaustin - 12/15/12 at 9:56am
post #802 of 1268
Everything looks terrific!

How did the carpet-to-bullnose transition work out? Did they shim up to it? What's your impression of the finished transition?

On the step wit the carpet the wrong way.. We've intentionally changed direction on some floor finishes so you can distinguish the step from adjacent surfaces. With the nosing you probably don't have that worry.. but if he doesn't show up, you could always pretend you meant to do it that way biggrin.gif

Tim
post #803 of 1268
Looks really nice Vanice! What a major milestone reached. I have a feeling we are all going to be seeing a lot of great updates as you race toward the finish line. Just don't hang your projector until last, because you know what happens!! biggrin.gif
post #804 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

Everything looks terrific!
How did the carpet-to-bullnose transition work out? Did they shim up to it? What's your impression of the finished transition?
On the step wit the carpet the wrong way.. We've intentionally changed direction on some floor finishes so you can distinguish the step from adjacent surfaces. With the nosing you probably don't have that worry.. but if he doesn't show up, you could always pretend you meant to do it that way biggrin.gif
Tim

I think it worked out pretty well. The carpet slopes down at the nosing somewhat so it does sit a little below the top of the wood but not so much that it looks odd or creates a hazard. I don't believe that they did any shimming but I don't know for sure as I was not watching them do any of the work. Overall I think it turned out about as well as I could have hoped.

I put a call into Lowes and they informed me that I should be receiving a call from the installer to come back out and fix the step. I understand your point of going the opposite direction to distinguish the step from the rest, and the nosing does a good job of showing you where the step is. Once I get the LEDs in it should really show up. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Looks really nice Vanice! What a major milestone reached. I have a feeling we are all going to be seeing a lot of great updates as you race toward the finish line. Just don't hang your projector until last, because you know what happens!! biggrin.gif

Thanks TMcG! I am trying to push forward and get this room complete but the wife has somewhat put the brakes on me as I have been spending toooo much time down there working. So with my time cut back and the holidays I'll be lucky to finish this thing in the next three months. rolleyes.gif I can't guarantee that the projector won't be up next weekend. biggrin.gif I don't have to worry about slacking because if the wife let's me work then I will be working. Having a working room won't slow progress to the finish, only the significant other can do that. tongue.gif
post #805 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Unfortunately I have only a few small updates after the big carpet install. I was only able to work on Saturday which really limited progress.

Saturday's goal was to get the "minimalist" wall up so that we could get to the screen if we had time. Spoiler alert... we didn't have time for the screen.

I began by constructing the uprights for each side. These were supposed to be made out of 5/4 x 4" material. Once I started building them I realized that the lumber yard gave me the wrong stuff. The stuff I had was actually really nice, straight 2x4 material. So the "minimalist" wall is definitely going to be overbuilt.





I then threw on a coat of black paint to areas that would show behind the screen.







As I was waiting for the paint to dry I put on the second coat of black paint on the LCR speakers. They only need some paint on the bottoms and they will be ready for internals.



And wrapped one more column...



And then it was time for install of the "minimalist" wall. It can be kinda hard to see since a lot of the stuff is black.







Right now the whole thing is held up by a couple of IB-3 clips. It is pretty solid but does move if you yank it back and forth. I figured I could try it this way and see if I get any movement during actual use. If I do I should be able to rig up a more solid solution. Sag should not be an issue with the oversized lumber and clips.





The screen will be nearly wall to wall! biggrin.gif



Speaking of the screen, we didn't get it installed but I did take it downstairs and unbox it. After a quick measurement it does appear that I got the correct size so that is a relief. This bad boy should be installed next weekend along with the projector. eek.gif



So unfortunately I didn't have as much time as I had hoped and consequently did not get as much done as I had hoped. I guess I better get accustomed to less getting done since I won't be working in the basement as much as I have been recently. But this job will get done eventually. It just won't be this year like I wanted it to be.
post #806 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

So this is the room as it stood at 2am this morning.
Two questions for you: Did you use the same Linacoustic material for your triangular corner bass traps" (looks like 1")? and Did you treat the walls behind where the corner bass traps go, or is the bass trap the treatment?
post #807 of 1268
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Two questions for you: Did you use the same Linacoustic material for your triangular corner bass traps" (looks like 1")? and Did you treat the walls behind where the corner bass traps go, or is the bass trap the treatment?

It's actually not linacoustic on the walls. It is Knauf acoustic board and it is very similar to OC703. The material is 2" thick. I completely covered the front wall with the 2" Knauf and then installed the corner traps in front of them. Traps are 17"x17"x24".
post #808 of 1268
Vanice,

Waiting for another full weekend before we can see screen shots - That's Pure Agony !!
(like someone has kidnapped Santa and holding him ransom)
post #809 of 1268
Thread Starter 
You're telling me! I have been waiting to see screen shots for months. Had the projector for over a year now and it has about 2 hours on it. rolleyes.gif It should definitely be well rested. I will add to the agony as I should have some finished speaker shots this weekend as well. wink.gif
post #810 of 1268
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanice View Post

It's actually not linacoustic on the walls. It is Knauf acoustic board and it is very similar to OC703. The material is 2" thick. I completely covered the front wall with the 2" Knauf and then installed the corner traps in front of them. Traps are 17"x17"x24".
Thank you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Home Entertainment & Theater Builder › Dedicated Theater Design & Construction › The Grove Theater and Basement Build