or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Xbox 360 as Win 7 MC Extender only
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xbox 360 as Win 7 MC Extender only - Page 2

post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I don't know what limitations you are talking about other than the non-HDMI DRM restrictions. You can watch Live, pause, record and playback from XBox just like any cable boxes. The only limitation of WMC extender interface is that certain features of the PC WMC interface is not available to extenders (those are typically flash or Silverlight based video playbacks), e.g. Netflix (XBox has its own Netflix app) and internet TVs.

I heard there were issues with 1080 playback quality or something like that? Maybe it does not matter as long as you get one of the newer slim units? I am not worried about the streaming of things like netflix etc off the internet.. Everything I will stream will be hosted on my HTPC. I have been ripping our DVD/DB collection onto my HTPC and I just want to be able to stream the MKV's to the 360 in another room and not have picture/sound quality issues as it will be going up on a 60" LCD.
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

it might be a container issue. im sure you dont want to redo them, but i am positive that if they were .mpg files they would work.

it could also be a codec issue. i remember screwing around with .ts, .m2ts, and .mkv when trying to figure out the best way to get things to play back.

What is the best way to rip them to .mpg's, can this be done and remove the menu's, extras in one step like a .mkv?
post #33 of 40
I am sure this has been covered, but searching for MPG, ripping etc basically shows every thread in the forum since each topic is mentioned multiple times per thread.

Maybe I should ask this 1st. Can the .mpg, Mpeg format maintain DTS/DTS-HD?

If so and I stream an MPG from my HTPC out to the xbox, will it bitstream to my AVR?

If both those are yes, then I need to find a way to rip from dvd/BD straight to MPG if possible..

Maybe a Sticky needs to be started just on the formats and containers? Right now all the info is burried in a myriad of threads and honestly impossible to sift out for all us newbies.
post #34 of 40
Alot of times you can buy one at Walmart or Target for $199 and a $50 gift card. Just use the $50 bucks on something you would have bought anyway. Boom $150 Xbox.

We use the Xbox 360 setup with a central media center PC that houses a Ceton InfiniTV 4 card and my wife loves it. Took a little bit to pull her from the cable DVR but she likes the Windows 7MC interface much better now.
post #35 of 40
I also used a centralized HTPC and two Xbox 360 Slim as extenders. I actually had two HTPCs, but had issues with the 29/59 frame rate. I got it to the point my wife did not notice, but I could. The Xbox 360s solved the 29/59 frame rate issue.

In addition, I only have one HTPC on 24/7. So even though the Xbox 360s take time to power on, the tuners are available once the guide is reached. My wife is also very happy. She was excited that we recorded 4 HD shows and watched a 5th at the 9:00 PM hour. I've never seen her excited about my tech projects

I can say that Media Browser is flaky, but far better than the built-in 7MC movies or videos. I frequently received video drivers not available error messages in 7MC movies and video section on the Xbox 360 extenders trying to watch 720p MPEG4/h.264 conversion of Blurays and DVDs.
post #36 of 40
The Xbox 360 currently supports Verizon FIOS OnDemand. Comcast Xfinity confirmed at CES its bring OnDemand very soon. There is no other way to get cable provider OnDemand library (with a remote) other than the cable company box.
post #37 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortcut3d View Post

The Xbox 360 currently supports Verizon FIOS OnDemand. Comcast Xfinity confirmed at CES its bring OnDemand very soon. There is no other way to get cable provider OnDemand library (with a remote) other than the cable company box.

I would think that only works by using Xbox live Gold? As far as I can see the cable card devices are one way and cannot do Ondemand, so an extender from one would not be able to either?
post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Advantages of Xbox extender:
* Cheap (around $100 to $150 new if you find the deals). Slim will be preferred for low power consumption and noise.
* Share the recordings with main PC. You can watch, share and schedule recordings among all extenders. Basically your PC will be the whole house DVR. You can't do this with mini HTPC setups.
* No keyboard and mouse required. A remote is all you need. Your family members will thank you for that.
* Watch the show from one location and continue in another location.
* No dredded 29/59 visual artifacts on some premium channels. That's a unique problem for PC and its video cards.

Cons:
* Not a HTPC and hences lacks all other capabilities of a PC.
* Older models can be rather loud.
* IR receiver has a very narrow angle of view.

Overall, 360 extender is a better option and it is much faster than other WMC extenders.

You should not expect to use wireless for your networking. It typically won't work well unless you have a 5GHz band setup. Cat5e, MOCA or powerline networking are the ones that work.

Hey, hijacking this thread a bit, sorry, but I'm looking going with an xbox extender for a couple TVs. You mentioned that you can watch a show from one location and continue in another location? How does that work? I can currently do that with my media center because I have basically a dual monitor set up with the first monitor being my big sreen TV, and VERY long svideo cable going to the tv in my bedroom as a second monitor. So, poor man's multi tv setup, but it does make it easy to watch on one tv, then turn that off, and continue in the bedroom.

So how does that work on the xbox?
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by paqmanbiker View Post

Hey, hijacking this thread a bit, sorry, but I'm looking going with an xbox extender for a couple TVs. You mentioned that you can watch a show from one location and continue in another location? How does that work? I can currently do that with my media center because I have basically a dual monitor set up with the first monitor being my big sreen TV, and VERY long svideo cable going to the tv in my bedroom as a second monitor. So, poor man's multi tv setup, but it does make it easy to watch on one tv, then turn that off, and continue in the bedroom.

So how does that work on the xbox?

The Xbox 360 just extends the Media Center from the HTPC. I don't use any as extenders myself so anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming it works like this: When you are watching a recording in WMC and hit stop, the next time you select it there will now be a resume button to pick up where you left off.

If you are watching from one Xbox in one room (or the original HTPC) you can just hit stop, then turn the TV on in another room, select the recording again and just press resume.
post #40 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER6669 View Post

The Xbox 360 just extends the Media Center from the HTPC. I don't use any as extenders myself so anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming it works like this: When you are watching a recording in WMC and hit stop, the next time you select it there will now be a resume button to pick up where you left off.

If you are watching from one Xbox in one room (or the original HTPC) you can just hit stop, then turn the TV on in another room, select the recording again and just press resume.

Yeah I realized after I posted this it probably just grabs the bookmark that mce makes. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Xbox 360 as Win 7 MC Extender only