or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports › Oppo 95 vs. Marantz SA8400?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Oppo 95 vs. Marantz SA8400?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Has anyone here had a chance to compare the Oppo 95
with a Marantz SA8400 playing CD's and SACD's? I have
found individual reviews of each player, but no comparisons. They both cost the same, but for someone
like me with large CD and SACD collections, it would be nice to know which way to go.
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post

Has anyone here had a chance to compare the Oppo 95
with a Marantz SA8400 playing CD's and SACD's? I have
found individual reviews of each player, but no comparisons. They both cost the same, but for someone
like me with large CD and SACD collections, it would be nice to know which way to go.

To me, this sounds like a question of "should I get the Nakamichi or Revox cassette player"

Ditch the transport, rip your media and purchase a quality streamer. It will enable you to navigate easier and better, not damage your originals and situate you better for future technologies.

For the record, I had an Oppo but have not used it in a long time and sold it.

2003 CDs
377 SACDs
128 DVD-Audios
6 HD-DVDs
692 Blu-rays
377 DVDs
2455 Vinyl LPs
27552 Photos
887 Home Videos
46 Edison Recordings

All digitized! No more media!!!!
post #3 of 16
Holy crap, how much storage is that?
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronik View Post

Holy crap, how much storage is that?

I have a 28TB storage array that is not filled up yet.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post


I have a 28TB storage array that is not filled up yet.

28tb? That's crazy(in a good way)! ! ! What type of storage? Do you use a NAS or a usb connection/external drive. I have a marantz na7004 and am contemplating an external drive or NAS. In your experience, is there a sound quality difference?
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclif77 View Post

28tb? That's crazy(in a good way)! ! ! What type of storage? Do you use a NAS or a usb connection/external drive. I have a marantz na7004 and am contemplating an external drive or NAS. In your experience, is there a sound quality difference?

I do have a couple of NAS appliances (NetGear ReadyNAS Pro and Ultra 4). They are great units but limited in terms of expandability.

I built a media server pc that handles the storage duty (it has many other roles, pm me for more info). I have a raid card in the computer with 2 SansDigital 8-bay drive chassis attached to it. This gives me 16 2TB drives. 15 in a raid-5 array and a hot standby.

If I had to do it over (your case) I would use the new windows 8 parity storage pool option.
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

To me, this sounds like a question of "should I get the Nakamichi or Revox cassette player"

Ditch the transport, rip your media and purchase a quality streamer. It will enable you to navigate easier and better, not damage your originals and situate you better for future technologies.

For the record, I had an Oppo but have not used it in a long time and sold it.

2003 CDs
377 SACDs
128 DVD-Audios
6 HD-DVDs
692 Blu-rays
377 DVDs
2455 Vinyl LPs
27552 Photos
887 Home Videos
46 Edison Recordings

All digitized! No more media!!!!

I'm trying to get to this one day soon. I'm using, so far, multiple WD MyBook "Live" 2TB drives. I guess a safe back-up solution is the real concern?
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

I'm trying to get to this one day soon. I'm using, so far, multiple WD MyBook "Live" 2TB drives. I guess a safe back-up solution is the real concern?

Crashplan is the one to use for backup
post #9 of 16
I have the SA8004 and it's a very nice player. I also have an airplay streamer, but this really requires a server to be running 24x7 for convenient access.

Managing / acquiring / backing up / constantly powering that much storage is not without considerable cost. Considering the original players in question are about 1K and hard drives are quite pricy right now. Unless you are using a low-power machine like a mac mini / HTPC or a small NAS this may increase your power bill significantly.

While I have all my audio ripped, I don't find it quite worth ripping my entire movie collection. TV shows --maybe, but not infrequent blu-ray movies. This is especially if you don't access all of the media on a regular basis. Though it is nice to flip through all the covers in your collection.

They are both excellent players. It is hard to go wrong. If you are going to use the player in a dedicated 2-channel I would get the Marantz and consider a matching amp. If you truly need a universal player for the home theater / living room, I would get the Oppo.
post #10 of 16
How were you able to rip sacd discs then play them back in mch while streaming?
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

How were you able to rip sacd discs then play them back in mch while streaming?

You use the PS3 method of ripping and then convert to .wav or .flac or .pcm. A few players are able to play multichannel .wav, .flac or .pcm files.
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

I have the SA8004 and it's a very nice player. I also have an airplay streamer, but this really requires a server to be running 24x7 for convenient access.

Managing / acquiring / backing up / constantly powering that much storage is not without considerable cost. Considering the original players in question are about 1K and hard drives are quite pricy right now. Unless you are using a low-power machine like a mac mini / HTPC or a small NAS this may increase your power bill significantly.

While I have all my audio ripped, I don't find it quite worth ripping my entire movie collection. TV shows --maybe, but not infrequent blu-ray movies. This is especially if you don't access all of the media on a regular basis. Though it is nice to flip through all the covers in your collection.

They are both excellent players. It is hard to go wrong. If you are going to use the player in a dedicated 2-channel I would get the Marantz and consider a matching amp. If you truly need a universal player for the home theater / living room, I would get the Oppo.

I don't mean to go off topic here, but from what I understand, the Sony is the benchmark in this relative price range when it comes to 2 channel SACD playback. Any idea how the SA8004 stacks up against the Sony SCD-XA5400ES in 2 channel SACD playback?
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

I don't mean to go off topic here, but from what I understand, the Sony is the benchmark in this relative price range when it comes to 2 channel SACD playback. Any idea how the SA8004 stacks up against the Sony SCD-XA5400ES in 2 channel SACD playback?

While I don't have the info for a direct comparison, I would consider that the Sony has been discontinued and may be more difficult to come by. Used it might be available as the same price as a new SA8004.
post #14 of 16
Everything else are digital copy except LP, as LP conversion is tricky, How do you transform the LP to disk storage?
I mean to store them seriously without loss of ambience, revibration, depth and palpablitiy.
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCW View Post

Everything else are digital copy except LP, as LP conversion is tricky, How do you transform the LP to disk storage?
I mean to store them seriously without loss of ambience, revibration, depth and palpablitiy.

The means for making digital transcriptions that are virtually indistinguishable from the original playback are well known and documented online. Google is your friend.

Since the LP format masks and/or adds its own ambiance, reverberation, depth and palpability to recordings, it is relatively easy to make digital transcriptions that capture both the music and the ambiance, reverberation, depth and palpability that the LP format may add on its own. Exotic digital equipment is not needed to make the recordings or play them back accurately, such as they are.
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post


To me, this sounds like a question of "should I get the Nakamichi or Revox cassette player"


Ditch the transport, rip your media and purchase a quality streamer. It will enable you to navigate easier and better, not damage your originals and situate you better for future technologies.


For the record, I had an Oppo but have not used it in a long time and sold it.


2003 CDs

377 SACDs

128 DVD-Audios

6 HD-DVDs

692 Blu-rays

377 DVDs

2455 Vinyl LPs

27552 Photos

887 Home Videos

46 Edison Recordings


All digitized! No more media!!!!

Who's doing all that work for you?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › CD Players & Dedicated Music Transports › Oppo 95 vs. Marantz SA8400?