or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2012 Rose Bowl on ESPN HD - Wisconsin vs. Oregon
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 Rose Bowl on ESPN HD - Wisconsin vs. Oregon

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
The Rose Bowl on ESPN
Wisconsin Badgers vs. Oregon Ducks
Live from the Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA
January 2, 2012
5pm ET
720p & DD5.1


Please post all related comments here, and include provider ( Cable, DBS, Fiber, IPTV) and location, thanks.
post #2 of 36
Pregame doesn't look too bad. It is HOT in LA today.


Pregame was handled well by Derek and Bill, but I don't seem to remember the bottom-line being in on last year's game. It's really annoying.

Sounds great. PQ is just okay. I seem to recall this game looking better on ABC a few years back.
post #3 of 36
I hate to start off so negatively, but WTF? A stealth Bomber flies overhead and the camera tilts away and zooms IN to show the Rose Bowl sign?

What's more, now we all know the mellophone plays one note during a large portion of the anthem.

Makes me yearn for the "old days" when ABC covered the game with a more talented crew.

Another nice touch is the ref welcoming the teams to the game and doing a commercial for Vizio.
post #4 of 36
Watching on D*. PQ looks very good. The Oregon helmets are very shiny.
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase View Post

I hate to start off so negatively, but WTF? A stealth Bomber flies overhead and the camera tilts away and zooms IN to show the Rose Bowl sign?

What's more, now we all know the mellophone plays one note during a large portion of the anthem.

Makes me yearn for the "old days" when ABC covered the game with a more talented crew.

Another nice touch is the ref welcoming the teams to the game and doing a commercial for Vizio.

This crew has covered the Rose Bowl for several years now. Maybe 7 or 8 years.

The skycam operator is earning his money this is the most ostentatious use of skycam I've ever seen.



Edit:
Looks like they finally lost the Bottom Line.
post #6 of 36
That was an awesome camera maneuver from the cable-cam from high above the field to Erin Andrews and Kelly.
post #7 of 36
What's with the extra bug?
post #8 of 36
Wasn't the Rose Bowl one of the first games ESPN did in real 5.1? The fake 5.1 mix today is pathetic. No Bottomline is nice though.
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCTV99 View Post

This crew has covered the Rose Bowl for several years now. Maybe 7 or 8 years.

The skycam operator is earning his money this is the most ostentatious use of skycam I've ever seen.



Edit:
Looks like they finally lost the Bottom Line.

I'm with you on the skycam (I think.) Every shot includes a prominent camera shadow. Ditto for the jib.

Sorry, I'm old. The "old days" go back farther for me. You have to go back 10-20 years. The equipment may have been clunkier, but you seemed to get a much more professional job.

Audio is still a bit rough on this show. Not a whole lot of crowd, and what there is sounds a bit hollow.
post #10 of 36
Yea the pregame band mix was not handled well. Really shouldn't be using camera mics like that during a band performance.
post #11 of 36
Every source is a "seasoning." Too much of any one spice tastes bad.
post #12 of 36
If they are not putting the bottom line on the screen all the time them please move the score bar down.
It's to high on screen when the bottom line is off.
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemannyr View Post

If they are not putting the bottom line on the screen all the time them please move the score bar down.
It's to high on screen when the bottom line is off.

I saw the bottom line make a brief comeback near the end of the first quarter, but it's gone again.

It would make sense to lower the score bar with no bottom line, but I don't think they will. Plus, re-framing the graphics would screw up the framing when highlights are used for SportsCenter and other networks.
post #14 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase View Post

I saw the bottom line make a brief comeback near the end of the first quarter, but it's gone again.

It would make sense to lower the score bar with no bottom line, but I don't think they will. Plus, re-framing the graphics would screw up the framing when highlights are used for SportsCenter and other networks.

They still do 28/58 updates, which are fine by me, and what they need to do for most live events.

They could move it down without issue, ever since ESPN went 16:9, SportsCenter + the rundown uses the whole 16:9 frame without the bottomline covering up any video.
post #15 of 36
Thread Starter 
Out of the last replay the replay transition played out only the key signal without the fill.
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

Out of the last replay the replay transition played out only the key signal without the fill.

Yup. Not many people would spot that. But at least two did. (Not counting those in the truck.)
post #17 of 36
I think that truck fires wipes from EVS. The fill channel probably didn't trigger.

Game looks okay now that its gotten darker. I think the Sony cameras they use look pretty good on this show all season long.
post #18 of 36
As usual multiple times the play is already underway when they finally get to it as they are either showing the crowd, a coach or a replay.

& its not the no huddle it happens every game.

My cable access channel showing the high school games does a better job.
post #19 of 36
Don't think ESPN is going to make an 830 start for the Fiesta Bowl.
post #20 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu1 View Post

They could move it down without issue, ever since ESPN went 16:9, SportsCenter + the rundown uses the whole 16:9 frame without the bottomline covering up any video.

Not just Spotscenter to be concerned with, ESPN will re air this game multiple times on various outlets. They can move the score bug lower for MNF because they are not allowed to reair NFL games.
post #21 of 36
Kickoff for the Fiesta Bowl pushed to 6:50p AZ(8:50p ET)
post #22 of 36
What a way for a game to end....a spike....the Badgers need to work on end of game management.

As for the PQ, very nice overall but there was one sideline cam that was noisy.

Watching via Cox Cable in AZ.
post #23 of 36
Pretty bad decision at the end by Wisconsin. That will be notorious in Rose Bowl history.
post #24 of 36
Missed this game. Was the BottomLine on during the game?
post #25 of 36
It was only on for updates.
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr281 View Post

Missed this game. Was the BottomLine on during the game?

Yea it disappeared about 2 minutes into the first quarter. Kinda sloppy but oh well at least is was gone.
post #27 of 36
I had the fortunate privilege of attending today's exciting Rose Bowl Game. Here's the view from my vantage point. I would've had the pictures sent a lot sooner, but as one might understand, 3G cell networks can be overloaded fast with 91,000+ people. Anyways, Happy New Year's & Enjoy the photos!

Attachment 232783



Attachment 232784



Attachment 232785



Attachment 232786



Attachment 232787



Attachment 232789



Attachment 232790



Attachment 232791



Attachment 232795



Attachment 232796



Attachment 232797



Attachment 232798



Attachment 232799



Attachment 232799



Attachment 232800



Attachment 232801



Attachment 232802



Attachment 232803



Attachment 232804
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles O View Post

What a way for a game to end....a spike....the Badgers need to work on end of game management.

It wasn't just that.
Wasting a time-out to have the officials review the touchback in the end zone because the head coach didn't know the details of the rules didn't help their cause either.
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

It wasn't just that.
Wasting a time-out to have the officials review the touchback in the end zone because the head coach didn't know the details of the rules didn't help their cause either.

what do you expect? Its Wisconsin. I love them, knowing full well they'll break my heart in the end. The Chicago Cubs of college sports...
At least I have the Michigan State rematch as a fond memory.
post #30 of 36
I thought the PQ was great on D*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 2012 Rose Bowl on ESPN HD - Wisconsin vs. Oregon