or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ripping and All that Stuff

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Okay, I'm all new to this, but I think I'm finally starting to "get it" (maybe). It haven't been able to find a great layman's guide to ripping, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can, while a lot of this is over my head.

I think I'm getting it a little, but please tell me if I'm wrong and chime in with your opinions.

1) Typically a blu ray ripped and compress into a 720p will look better than a standard DVD rip (with no compression).. am I wrong?

2) MKV files will NOT support DVD (or blu ray) menus, is that right?

3) I'm using at WDTV Live SMP - so It's my understanding that blu ray rips (ripped with DVDfab) won't have subtitle's available, but it does support subtitles in an iso file? If I want to use subtitles with an MKV file (ripped from blu ray), then one of the better options is to use bytecopy as it will encode the subtitles into a format with blu ray rips that can be played back on the WDTV

4) In bytecopy, is 8000 bitrate a good choice to compress a blu ray rip down to a 720p or should I go higher?

5) what would you rather have? a higher bit 1280x720 mkv or a lower bitrate 1920x1080p mkv? The videos are played back on a 55" LG (55LW6500)

I've been searching all over the internet for that one great guide to fully explain everything from the top down (for idiots like me), but I haven't found any such website yet. At least not written for extreme beginners.

I've been reading all the posts trying to pick up on exactly the best way to do things, etc... but a lot of the posts are over my head (for now), so I'm having some difficulty really understanding everything
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzynoise View Post

Okay, I'm all new to this, but I think I'm finally starting to "get it" (maybe). It haven't been able to find a great layman's guide to ripping, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can, while a lot of this is over my head.

I think I'm getting it a little, but please tell me if I'm wrong and chime in with your opinions.

1) Typically a blu ray ripped and compress into a 720p will look better than a standard DVD rip (with no compression).. am I wrong?

2) MKV files will NOT support DVD (or blu ray) menus, is that right?

3) I'm using at WDTV Live SMP - so It's my understanding that blu ray rips (ripped with DVDfab) won't have subtitle's available, but it does support subtitles in an iso file? If I want to use subtitles with an MKV file (ripped from blu ray), then one of the better options is to use bytecopy as it will encode the subtitles into a format with blu ray rips that can be played back on the WDTV

4) In bytecopy, is 8000 bitrate a good choice to compress a blu ray rip down to a 720p or should I go higher?

5) what would you rather have? a higher bit 1280x720 mkv or a lower bitrate 1920x1080p mkv? The videos are played back on a 55" LG (55LW6500)

I've been searching all over the internet for that one great guide to fully explain everything from the top down (for idiots like me), but I haven't found any such website yet. At least not written for extreme beginners.

I've been reading all the posts trying to pick up on exactly the best way to do things, etc... but a lot of the posts are over my head (for now), so I'm having some difficulty really understanding everything

Get rid of your WDTV and get a Dune... all problems solved!
post #3 of 15
The premise makes no sense to me because why bother buying a nice TV so that you can watch low bitrate video. I just bite the bullet and store full quality ISOs and play them through a NeoTV 550. IMO low bitrate video is for your watching on your smartphone.
post #4 of 15
Why do you want to compress the video down? Is it because you're streaming the content wirelessly or something like that?
post #5 of 15
If your time is worth anything, you will be better off making a 1:1 rip; and happier with the result long term. Check dbone1026 profile for a plethora of resources.

Mkv is only a container for the main movie with chapters. Some like the menus, some don't. I prefer just the movie, and will rip a separate mkv for any "specials" worthwhile.
post #6 of 15
@1) Yes, much better
@2) Right. Just chapter markers
@3) Most rips allow you to include subtitles. Either you "burn them in" (so they are visible at all times), or you can rip them as an option you select while playing the video file
@4) 8000 has been my preferred rip rate. This is personal and better to decide yourself
@5) Interesting question. Am curious myself about this now and will do some testing
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdoom View Post

Why do you want to compress the video down? Is it because you're streaming the content wirelessly or something like that?

For me, two reasons: 1) Less storage, 2) allows wireless streaming. Depending on how much I like the movie I rip loss-less, compressed, or both
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm not a videophile, relaly. I'd rather compress the blu ray rip and to save storage space. I'm just an average Joe who likes a good story, the most pristine of pictures is not that big of a deal to me.

Originally, I wasn't going to care about the storage issue - but after looking at the price of hard drives right now, I'd rather save the money on buying hard drive after hard drive.

I could be wrong, but it appears to my eyes that a compressed blu ray looks better than a regular DVD, and typically, I'm happy with the picture quality of a regular DVD.

I'm mainly ripping my movies for convenience of having them all on a hard drive, instead of tracking down where my wife or daughter put the DVD. It'll be nice to just hit a button and see my list of all my movies. I don't have too many really, only about 350

Someone suggested a Dune Player. What's the big advantage of the Dune player over the WD TV Live SMP? Keep in my mind though, I don't have surround sound and don't use my A/V receiver to process audio. Regular audio coming from the TV (or a soundbar) is fine by me.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzynoise View Post

I'm not a videophile, relaly. I'd rather compress the blu ray rip and to save storage space. I'm just an average Joe who likes a good story, the most pristine of pictures is not that big of a deal to me.

Originally, I wasn't going to care about the storage issue - but after looking at the price of hard drives right now, I'd rather save the money on buying hard drive after hard drive.

I could be wrong, but it appears to my eyes that a compressed blu ray looks better than a regular DVD, and typically, I'm happy with the picture quality of a regular DVD.

I'm mainly ripping my movies for convenience of having them all on a hard drive, instead of tracking down where my wife or daughter put the DVD. It'll be nice to just hit a button and see my list of all my movies. I don't have too many really, only about 350

Someone suggested a Dune Player. What's the big advantage of the Dune player over the WD TV Live SMP? Keep in my mind though, I don't have surround sound and don't use my A/V receiver to process audio. Regular audio coming from the TV (or a soundbar) is fine by me.

The Dune just works
post #10 of 15
Yeah, but for what he's talking about, the Dune is unnecessary and overpriced. Especially when he has something that's perfectly capable now.
post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
I don't have a problem with the WD TV Live not working. Just trying to fully understand the whole ripping process (issues and idiosyncrasies).

So far, it looks like what I'm going to do, is:

1)rip DVDs to ISO with no compression - or do you think I should rip to MKV? I'm using DVDfab for the ripping. Although, I have noticed that on a few Disney Movies, the ISO looks jittery. If I compress them into an MKV, then those movies will play okay - weird.

2)rip Blu Ray in a BD9 compressed ISO using DVDfab. I have lightning encoding and GPU encoding turned off. It takes a while, but the picture seems to look pretty good (better than a standard DVD) - or would you have a suggestion on different software to compress? Handbrake has way too many options for me, almost confusing!

I've also tried bytecopy to rip a blu ray into an MKV. It seems to work well. It seems that the WD TV Live SMP will support subtitles in MKV from a DVD but NOT support subtitles on a blu ray rip, I have to rip to MKV using bytecopy as it seems to encode the subtitles into a format that works with the WD TV Live. Is that a characteristic of my player or is that pretty much inherent of all MKV Blu Ray rips? Lack of subtitle support unless you encode it - regardless of player?

I appreciate the help! These forums are full of you guys knowing what you're talking about!

Also, when hard drive prices drop... I'll probably get the Synology 1511+ everyone seems to be talking about. For those of you that have that server, would you still recommend it? But me buying it, is way down the road
post #12 of 15
I have a Drobo-fs and just got a Synology 1511+. I have been happy with both but the Synology is a nice step up.
Regarding subs, yes, when you encode the video you need to encode the subs as well in a mkv container. If you rip it loss-less, no need to encode the subs
post #13 of 15
I have started ripping my own collection, and I'm using BD Rebuilder to rip to ISO.

I rip only the main movie with HD Audio and Subtitles. I opt for a target file size of either BD25 or 75% of the original, and the results have been good. Bit rates are usually above 10 Mbits.

Hope this helps.
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzynoise View Post

or do you think I should rip to MKV? I'm using DVDfab for the ripping.

I rip BD to files with DVDFab Blu-Ray copy (to decrypt).
I convert that to MKV with MakeMKV
- Drop what you don't want
- Gets Chapters and SubTitles into MKV

Use MKV Merge GUI
- If needed ... like maybe to force a SubTitle (like in Avatar)

I run them like this because I like full 1080p and DTS/AC3 Core ... but if you want to, you can finally run it through HandBrake to compress it down.
post #15 of 15
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home