Well... so much for that theory... the problem came back. It looks like if I don't use this thing every day, it goes into hibernation... and won't come on unless I unplug it... then sometimes locks up and has to be reset. I don't know what happened... but it happened fairly recently to become unreliable. Once I get it "working" it seems to go fine and play whatever I want to watch... but then goes back to misbehaving the next day.
Weird. Might be time to contact Sony techsup. Since I haven't experienced what you're describing, all I can do is speculate, and maybe suggest some possible workarounds...
- Remove all discs/media from the player when you turn it off.
- Turn the TV on before the player.
- Operate the player in a cool, well-ventilated area (since there's no internal fan).
- There's a setting for "Fast-On" or "Power-Saving Mode" in the Easy Setup (after you do a Reset). You might try switching that to a different setting than you normally use.
- Plug the player into a surge-protector/powerstrip, if you haven't already.
- Change "AUTO" settings to optimum settings for your TV/equipment for as many parameters as possible (so the player doesn't have to interrogate your equipment each time it starts up, to determine the best settings to use).
Maybe a little more info about the other equipment you're using would help debug this as well.
Edited by ADU - 8/22/12 at 8:16pm