or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Blu-Ray Discs Not Recognized
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blu-Ray Discs Not Recognized

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 
I have a LG GCC-H20L BD/HD DCD Combo drive with firmware 1.07. I'm running Win 7 64-bit and have the latest driver from 2006.

Lately it cannot read more and more BD disks from Netflix. By "cannot read" I mean that it won't even show up in Explorer as there being a disk in the drive. It still reads old BDs fine.

Is this a driver problem? firmware? Some other software compatability problem?
post #2 of 44
are you running some sort of software like anydvd? I would try turning it off if you are.
post #3 of 44
LG Drives are known to have issues with some bluray discs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo
post #4 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

are you running some sort of software like anydvd? I would try turning it off if you are.

I've tried with AnyDVD both on and off with the same results. New disks have a problem but all my old ones that I've already ripped are fine. I'm thinking it's something new in how disks are being authored/manufactured.
post #5 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

LG Drives are known to have issues with some bluray discs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

Care to recommend a new blu-ray drive? I don't need HD-DVD functionality that this one has.
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

Care to recommend a new blu-ray drive? I don't need HD-DVD functionality that this one has.

Try Lite-On. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106451

or for a few dollars more ... a BD burner. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1&name=Lite-On
post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

Care to recommend a new blu-ray drive? I don't need HD-DVD functionality that this one has.

I already have. They are in my sticky thread.
post #8 of 44
I had the problem of my two year old copy of "The Bank Job" not being recognized by my realitively new Liteon iHBS212 manufactured in March 2011. My PS3 did not recognize a disc was present either. I noticed the disc seemed to have a lot of little marks under the top coat and thought that perhaps Lions Gate had an early run of some badly manufactured Blu-ray discs. Or maybe the life span of blu-ray discs is much shorter than I thought.
post #9 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post

I already have. They are in my sticky thread.

Doh! Of course - lol.
post #10 of 44
Thread Starter 
I swear, they're just trying to make rental disks not work on PCs - lol. My brand new LOTR BDs work fine in the drive, but none of my latest Netflix rentals do.

After years of fighting with disk playback on a PC this was the straw that broke the camel's back and I gave up and bought a BD player.

I had wanted to get a decent streaming box that could do high quality Netflix, Amazon and Vudu. HTPCs are simply inadequate for any of these. I was considering a Roku (no Vudu though) as and add on to my HTPC. This prompted me to look at BD players and found the CNET's editors choice (for just $30 more than a Roku) had all three streaming options (plus a host of others) and would play back BDs and upscale DVDs and do it all at the correct fps with bitstreamed audio for disks and 5.1 audio with HD video for the streaming options I wanted.

I'll still use my HTPC (Media Browser with mpc-hc and PDVD11) but only to play back my ripped content.

My dream of an all in one solution has been permanently dashed though. So it's my DVR for live TV, a BD player for disks and internet streaming, and my HTPC for local ripped content.
post #11 of 44
Liteon iHBS212 internal Blu-ray disc writer plays Netflix rentals fine.

In my experience I consider these drives consumables with a life span.
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

I had wanted to get a decent streaming box that could do high quality Netflix, Amazon and Vudu. HTPCs are simply inadequate for any of these.

Why do you say this? Ok, I understand Netflix hamstrings its PC implementation (I don't use Netflix but that's what I've read here), but there is nothing wrong with Amazon on an HTPC. In what way is an HTPC "inadequate" for Amazon?
post #13 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post


Why do you say this? Ok, I understand Netflix hamstrings its PC implementation (I don't use Netflix but that's what I've read here), but there is nothing wrong with Amazon on an HTPC. In what way is an HTPC "inadequate" for Amazon?

There's no good 10 foot interface on the PC for streaming, prime or rental or purchase. It is OK with Media Center if you're willing to download in advance though. There's also tons of stuff available in HD 5.1 on Amazon but only on devices, not the PC.
post #14 of 44
fwiw, I just started having the same problem with my LG GCC-H20L BD/HD, and a fresh install of Win7 x64. I put a blu ray in, and it doesn't recognize it, just sits there scanning the disk over and over again.

I dual booted back to my older, non-fresh Win7 x64, and it works fine with the drive. I can't figure out what's different between them yet. Since the drive works, it has to be a drivers issue in the new Win7 install.
post #15 of 44
Netflix version of The Proposition will play on my PS3 but is not recognizedby PowerDVD in my computer's optical drive. Eac3to does not see the disc. AnyDVD sees the disc and reports a region 0 designation. AnyDVD cannot read some sectors and cannot create an .iso which can be played.
post #16 of 44
Thread Starter 
So far I've had the problem with 4 movies from Netflix were the OS doesn't even think there's anything in the drive and neither does any software of course. Yet, the last 3 discs I got from Netflix (all new releases) are fine. I'm pretty sure it's an authoring or DRM issue and not hardware going bad.
post #17 of 44
Did you check the LG website for a more recent driver?
post #18 of 44
Unlike JMGNYC I am using a Liteon drive. Windows determined that the driver is up to date.
post #19 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Did you check the LG website for a more recent driver?

Yes, I've got the latest driver (it's from 2006) and firmware. I just don't think they're updating it.
post #20 of 44
While it might be a drive problem, AnyDVD could see the disk in the drive and write more than half to an image file before it had a problem reading sectors. The argument against it being an authoring problem is that the PS3 could recognize the disc and play it.
post #21 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

I had wanted to get a decent streaming box that could do high quality
Netflix, Amazon and Vudu. HTPCs are simply inadequate for any of these.

Obviously, it's possible to build an anemic, underpowered HTPC, but ...

Streaming boxes don't have the power of an Intel i7, i5, or even possibly i3. Not
only would a system built on one of these processors be adequate, it would
be overkill for streaming video.
post #22 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

Obviously, it's possible to build an anemic, underpowered HTPC, but ...

Streaming boxes don't have the power of an Intel i7, i5, or even possibly i3. Not
only would a system built on one of these processors be adequate, it would
be overkill for streaming video.

I don't think HTPCs are inadequate for streaming because of processor power. Even with the latest i7 processor you still would get stuttering on Netflix with Silverlight and you still wouldn't have the HD options from Netflix, Amazon, or Vudu on an HTPC because they're blocked. Compare the list of HD titles from Netflix available on a streaming box vs. a PC. It's more than double. Vudu doesn't even offer HDX streams on PCs.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

I don't think HTPCs are inadequate for streaming because of processor power. Even with the latest i7 processor you still would get stuttering on Netflix with Silverlight and you still wouldn't have the HD options from Netflix, Amazon, or Vudu on an HTPC because they're blocked. Compare the list of HD titles from Netflix available on a streaming box vs. a PC. It's more than double. Vudu doesn't even offer HDX streams on PCs.

Where does it say anything about being blocked? Everything on Amazon's website says you can get HD on a PC. For example:

"Watch Now Technical Requirements
Here are the computer system requirements for Amazon Instant Video:

Computer Hardware:
PCs: Intel Pentium 4 2.33GHz processor or equivalent. Macs: PowerPC G5 1.8GHz or faster or Intel Core Duo 1.33 GHz or faster.
Computer Hardware for HD:Most Duo Core 2.00GHz Macs and PCs or faster.
Browser:Internet Explorer 6.0 or above, Firefox 1.5 or above, or Safari 2.0 or above.
Browser Plug-ins:The most recent versions of JavaScript and Adobe Flash Player.
Internet Connection:Broadband Internet connection with minimum recommended connection speed of 450 Kbits/sec.
Internet Connection for HD:Broadband Internet connection with minimum recommended connection speed of 3,500 Kbits/sec."


EDIT - I just went on and tried it. No problem streaming HD content on Amazon Prime VOD (other than the slowness of my internet connection here).
post #24 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zon2020 View Post

Where does it say anything about being blocked? Everything on Amazon's website says you can get HD on a PC. For example:

"Watch Now Technical Requirements
Here are the computer system requirements for Amazon Instant Video:

Computer Hardware:
PCs: Intel Pentium 4 2.33GHz processor or equivalent. Macs: PowerPC G5 1.8GHz or faster or Intel Core Duo 1.33 GHz or faster.
Computer Hardware for HD:Most Duo Core 2.00GHz Macs and PCs or faster.
Browser:Internet Explorer 6.0 or above, Firefox 1.5 or above, or Safari 2.0 or above.
Browser Plug-ins:The most recent versions of JavaScript and Adobe Flash Player.
Internet Connection:Broadband Internet connection with minimum recommended connection speed of 450 Kbits/sec.
Internet Connection for HD:Broadband Internet connection with minimum recommended connection speed of 3,500 Kbits/sec."


EDIT - I just went on and tried it. No problem streaming HD content on Amazon Prime VOD (other than the slowness of my internet connection here).

Yes, there's plenty on Prime that is in HD on both PC and device. However, there are rentals that are only available in HD on devices and I imagine even on Prime, like Netflix, there is some stuff available in HD only on devices.

For example check out Rise of the Planet of The Apes. SD streaming only on PC however "Also available in HD with Amazon Instant Video on Your TV" meaning devices. PC download is probably HD though but not streaming.
post #25 of 44
I hated both of my BD LG players.
post #26 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGNYC View Post

Yes, I've got the latest driver (it's from 2006) and firmware. I just don't think they're updating it.

Many periphereal hardware vendors never pay Microsoft to test new drivers and release them to Win Updaste. Therefore many drivers at MS are the origional drivers that were on the disk when the product was first released.
It is for this reason that I sugested that the OP check the manufacturers website for the latest drivers. It is strange that the origional 2006 drivers are still the most recent ones available.
post #27 of 44
Yes, liteon has a program called smartpack that updates firmware. I am looking for Liteon's drive update.
post #28 of 44
Thread Starter 
Unfortunately LG doesn't even have drivers on their support site. They only have firmware for XP and Vista not even Win 7.
post #29 of 44
are you sure thats the right model #? i see the GGC-H20L (which is the drive i have) on their site but not the GCC-H20L
post #30 of 44
Liteon uses Windows 7 drivers and does not have its own. Windows 7 says the drivers are up to date.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Blu-Ray Discs Not Recognized