or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

US album sales rise

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Good article about how US digital albums finally rose last year for first time since '04. Sales were helped by Adeles almost 6 million sales of "21".

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...6P5F2safVQQi7K
post #2 of 9
I guess SOPA isn't really needed after all, other then to control our lives of course. Now the RIAA says piracy is a threat to national security. What a douch.
post #3 of 9
My analog heart fluttered after reading this thread's title! After all, for many years have I predicted the eventual resurrection of vinyl albums to their natural ascendency upon the mountaintop of audio. I had been waiting for this day.

But then I read the OP's first sentence and witnessed the dreaded word digital. Alas, we record lovers will continue to live secretly and quietly in the wilderness, biding our time, until we once again rise up and smite those that would digitally sample and compress our music. Stay patient, you brave two-channel warriors. Our time is coming.
post #4 of 9
...Unless the SACD warriors prevail first
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

My analog heart fluttered after reading this thread's title! After all, for many years have I predicted the eventual resurrection of vinyl albums to their natural ascendency upon the mountaintop of audio. I had been waiting for this day.

But then I read the OP's first sentence and witnessed the dreaded word digital. Alas, we record lovers will continue to live secretly and quietly in the wilderness, biding our time, until we once again rise up and smite those that would digitally sample and compress our music. Stay patient, you brave two-channel warriors. Our time is coming.

Vinyl sales been up for years, but their overall impact on the industry is minuscule at best but still better then MCH formats, like DVD-A and SACD. I'm thinking to get a TT myself, but I doubt that analog ever regains any of it's yesterday glory.
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

I guess SOPA isn't really needed after all, other then to control our lives of course. Now the RIAA says piracy is a threat to national security. What a douch.

Look at the numbers. SOPA clearly is needed, or something similar. Adele's album is considered a monster hit today, when during the 90s it would have been not even in the top ten some years I believe. Theft is decimating the music industry, and acting like one uptick (which is only an uptick because it's been so bad for so long) means that the industry is crying wolf is just wrong. They ahve every reason to cry wolf, because something is chewing their legs off as we write. Every new baby born is born into a world where people have been stealing music (and software and movies) for so long and with so few consequences that a lot of people seem to think it's a human right today.

Anyone who thinks that this is not try cannot have spent any time reading comments on threads like these in forums that are not well moderated, or on Youtube. Clearly entire generations of kids believe that they have the right to take whatever they can find on the internet, and anyone who tries to stop them is a corporate fatcat, even when they are stealing from completely independent or indie artists. It's the standard downloader's mantra that they throw out any time someone calls them on their clearly immoral and destructive behavior.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

Stay patient, you brave two-channel warriors. Our time is coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster-s View Post

...Unless the SACD warriors prevail first

I love my 2 channel SACDs hybrids.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Look at the numbers. SOPA clearly is needed, or something similar. Adele's album is considered a monster hit today, when during the 90s it would have been not even in the top ten some years I believe. Theft is decimating the music industry, and acting like one uptick (which is only an uptick because it's been so bad for so long) means that the industry is crying wolf is just wrong. They ahve every reason to cry wolf, because something is chewing their legs off as we write. Every new baby born is born into a world where people have been stealing music (and software and movies) for so long and with so few consequences that a lot of people seem to think it's a human right today.

Anyone who thinks that this is not try cannot have spent any time reading comments on threads like these in forums that are not well moderated, or on Youtube. Clearly entire generations of kids believe that they have the right to take whatever they can find on the internet, and anyone who tries to stop them is a corporate fatcat, even when they are stealing from completely independent or indie artists. It's the standard downloader's mantra that they throw out any time someone calls them on their clearly immoral and destructive behavior.

We live in a society where nearly everyone wants something for nothing (i.e., the bright idea of putting government expenditures on a credit card).
Maybe it's just basic human psychology....I don't know.
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post

I love my 2 channel SACDs hybrids.

Me too. I'm known among my friends as "the King of Dead Formats". I got a bunch of DVD-A's too. And D-Theater movies (10 of 'em) with the JVC 40k tape deck to play them with (they look just like BD's, no kidding - and they're on tape). I've got cassette players, 8 track players, reel-to-reel, all of 'em. I'm like a living, breathing A/V Smithsonian Institution.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post

Look at the numbers. SOPA clearly is needed, or something similar. Adele's album is considered a monster hit today, when during the 90s it would have been not even in the top ten some years I believe. Theft is decimating the music industry, and acting like one uptick (which is only an uptick because it's been so bad for so long) means that the industry is crying wolf is just wrong. They ahve every reason to cry wolf, because something is chewing their legs off as we write. Every new baby born is born into a world where people have been stealing music (and software and movies) for so long and with so few consequences that a lot of people seem to think it's a human right today.

Anyone who thinks that this is not try cannot have spent any time reading comments on threads like these in forums that are not well moderated, or on Youtube. Clearly entire generations of kids believe that they have the right to take whatever they can find on the internet, and anyone who tries to stop them is a corporate fatcat, even when they are stealing from completely independent or indie artists. It's the standard downloader's mantra that they throw out any time someone calls them on their clearly immoral and destructive behavior.

Next time you go on your weekly and unsolicited crusade on behalf the RIAA try not to include everyone into your accused immoral thives of music club, just because they have opposing view on the matter on why piracy even exists. I don't condone piracy,and certainly never engaged in it, but I will start to worry the day the music industry stop bitching.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home