or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official OSD Audio Subwoofer Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official OSD Audio Subwoofer Owners Thread - Page 2

post #31 of 42
I am very intrigued by the PS10 and I would really love to see a review of the PS12, Jim. Any chance that might happen?
post #32 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyknuckles View Post

I am very intrigued by the PS10 and I would really love to see a review of the PS12, Jim. Any chance that might happen?

I've actually reviewed 2 of OSD's subs, the PS88 and PS10. At this time, however, there are no plans for a review of the PS12.

Seems they've been lowering their prices recently, which rarely happens on anything; 99% of the time companies raise prices instead. OSD does have free shipping, and in-home trial period, so it's pretty painless to see what it might sound like in your home theater. How big is your room?
post #33 of 42
It's about 20x16, 7.5' ceiling.
post #34 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyknuckles View Post

It's about 20x16, 7.5' ceiling.

2400 cubic feet is a pretty sizable room. Most 12" subs would probably have a difficult time filling that much space, but it depends upon how loud you like to play it too.
post #35 of 42
All of us here at OSD believe that Jim's reviews are well balanced and fair. We are always open for Jim to review the PS12 or any OSD product, but of course that's up to him!

- Brennan, OSD Audio
post #36 of 42
The PS10 sounds like a deal of sorts. I'm looking for 2-10" subs in the 4 bill price range. Suppose I should have been looking last year or have yet to run across the right sale price. Be that as it may should I run 3 -Y connectors to accommodate two subs?

As well I wish to utilize subs as small tables for my F-30 Klipsch which list a weight of sixty lb each. I would have no qualms on a cabinet of 3/4", yet wonder if I'd be pushing the limit on the PS-10 one-half inch construction. I already have the feet removed from the F-10 that are 9.5" wide by 16" deep
post #37 of 42
Thread Starter 
Technically you would only need a single Y adapter for dual subs; run a short single cable from your AVR with the Y adapter at the end of it, then you can run another single cable to each subwoofer. As far as using them for tables is concerned...

60 lbs might be a bit much to place on top, so you may want to think about that one a bit more. Also, I believe those Klipsch speakers are deeper than the PS10, which would make that arrangment unstable. If you're intent on doing that you should consider the BIC F12 instead. It's about the same price, and it may be deep enough to accommodate the speakers.
post #38 of 42
Thanks for your prompt reply and suggestions. I had noted earlier in the thread about one Y connect for the best response on a single sub and wasn't sure how that would fly w/two.

My smorgasbord single wall of sound in a kitchen/den open 16'x32' has no other spot to place subs save under the F-30 mains. It's OK as my original pair of F-30 are sandwiched & stacked betwixt them sideways, on a DVD display/case w/TV on top of them, wired parallel as center spkr(s).

Rounding out the unholy timbre atrocity is two Def Tec BP8B in the corners. Being from the 50's my ears are probably no better than my eyes, so ignorance is bliss.

Ten inch is all I need as I'm only wishing to pull out a tad lower response to jazz/classical. My modest HK 1650 pushes the six spkrs well enough usually -40db for background to -30 for more spirited listening. I'm located halfway and anything around -25 is loud.

Were money not an issue I'd pony up for two of the 12" SVS SB1000. I watch few movies and 95% of them are not bluray. I realize this is the OSD thread, but I tried to order a NXG-BAS-500, based on your review, in middle of Oct and they were no longer available.

I'm attempting to spend 4 bills on two 10" subs that are fairly musical in a low watt arena. I really don't require 250-400 RMS per spkr. Regardless of the sub the feet will come off to help distribute the weight of the F-30. If nothing else I can tether them at the top as even resting on a sub they aren't going to fall over the F-10s on the inside. Looking for fairly tight musical bass at lower power and the PS10 seemed to fit the bill along w/price Likewise the warranty was more than ample.

I wanted the F-30 on small stands anyway to bring them up closer to the level of the BP8B which are on tables/stands. W/feet off of the F-30 I have a 2x4 section under the front to help direct their sound up a mite. It's a hard enough matter looking for a couple of good quality budget subs w/o adding the caveat that they support 60lbs on top.

ETA: Almost fogot they need to be front firing & if ported should also be from the front as they'll be backed up to the wall for the most part.
You know the score. I want it all for little of nothing yesterday!
Edited by Nixterdemus - 12/9/13 at 10:49am
post #39 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixterdemus View Post

Rounding out the unholy timbre atrocity is two Def Tec BP8B in the corners. Being from the 50's my ears are probably no better than my eyes, so ignorance is bliss.

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are... tongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixterdemus View Post

Ten inch is all I need as I'm only wishing to pull out a tad lower response to jazz/classical. My modest HK 1650 pushes the six spkrs well enough usually -40db for background to -30 for more spirited listening. I'm located halfway and anything around -25 is loud.

You should consider capabilities more then anything else. A subwoofer with a 12" driver may give you extra headroom, meaning those dynamic swings you're bound to encounter won't tax it as much (essentially less compression, which is a good thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixterdemus View Post

Were money not an issue I'd pony up for two of the 12" SVS SB1000. I watch few movies and 95% of them are not bluray. I realize this is the OSD thread, but I tried to order a NXG-BAS-500, based on your review, in middle of Oct and they were no longer available.

Yea, I think NXG owes me some money; that review seemed to cause a run on them, depleting their stock far sooner than they had projected. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixterdemus View Post

I'm attempting to spend 4 bills on two 10" subs that are fairly musical in a low watt arena. I really don't require 250-400 RMS per spkr. Regardless of the sub the feet will come off to help distribute the weight of the F-30. If nothing else I can tether them at the top as even resting on a sub they aren't going to fall over the F-10s on the inside. Looking for fairly tight musical bass at lower power and the PS10 seemed to fit the bill along w/price Likewise the warranty was more than ample.

Part of the reason I liked the NXG so much was that it did have the ability to play musical fairly well, but in the "budget" price range that's more the exception then anything else. Generally speaking $200 does not buy much in the way of dynamics and transient response, key traits when looking for 'musical' subwoofers.
post #40 of 42
Since the NXG is out of the picture I'm looking at another budget sub you reviewed that in tandem might be right down my alley. The Pinnacle PS Sub 225. New is under two bills shipped and if I wanted to roll the dice two open boxes are right at 3 bills. You noted they lacked extension, but seemed to perform better on music at modest levels than HT. I could always throw a brace in there to support my F-30 and those two 8" woofers per spkr might benefit from a mild 12" on the bottom. The 225 claims down to 30hz whilst the Klipsch dip to 35.

For a guy that listens to old jazz and a little classical, at moderate levels for the most part, they could prove to be an inexpensive asset. Lord knows they'd blend right in w/motley system.
If nothing else it would be well worthy of a photo op w/F-30 riding piggyback.
post #41 of 42
Thread Starter 
This exchange is probably getting a little off topic for the OSD thread, so perhaps it's time for you to consider starting a new one. That being said... to me Pinnacle speakers and subwoofers are a bit overpriced, but if my experience is any indication the spec's they quote seem to be pretty accurate (unlike far too many other companies). If you can find a pair of 225's for $300 then you might want to consider picking them up. Given your circumstances they may be what you're looking for.
post #42 of 42
Indeed, pardon the intrusion and wandering after deliberating the fine qualities of the PS10.. I'll ease over to the appropriate thread for continued discussion. Thanks for the space
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
AVS › AVS Forum › Audio › Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers › Official OSD Audio Subwoofer Owners Thread