or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic 2012 Lineup and Information Thread [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic 2012 Lineup and Information Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 42

post #1231 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

Not to go too OT, but I'm pretty sure the E8000 is jus as good if not better than the D8000- perhaps these two sets weren't calibrated?

Well I guess im going by out box performance and my own tweaks.

FYI all the talk about brightness levels on the new E8000 are false.
I feel that the panel is plenty bright enough.
I just dont want to give up any shadow detail in image.
post #1232 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumps View Post

My installer inquired with his rep and was told end of May.

Since I'm currently using a 50 inch Pio, I'll have some time to pick out some 3D BD until then. At least I hope that will help the time fly by!

Chris

I might just go with The 65GT50. awaiting a D-nice review to see if he can get more out of the panel.
post #1233 of 1640
D-nice has been awfully quiet. Hopefully he is busy with a GT50!
post #1234 of 1640
Quick question - as much as I love blu-rays on these plasmas, I still watch a lot of older DVDs that are not yet released on blu. Currently I think DVD still looks amazing upscaled on my 51" 2011 Samsung. But I'm considering the 55" ST50 - will there be a noticeable reduction in image quality for upscaled DVD going from 51" to 55"? It doesn't sound like much of a difference in screen size but I figure the larger the screen the more the DVD image will fall apart.

Any opinions?
post #1235 of 1640
Probably not. From 9' away from my 60", DVDs have now become "low quality" to me on my ST. The same distance from my 46" LCD I could just barely tell the difference if I looked hard. So consider your viewing distance and go from there.
post #1236 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

I still watch a lot of older DVDs that are not yet released on blu. Currently I think DVD still looks amazing upscaled on my 51" 2011 Samsung. But I'm considering the 55" ST50 - will there be a noticeable reduction in image quality for upscaled DVD going from 51" to 55"?

We watch a lot of SD DVD movies on a 60" Kuro from about 11' using an OPPO BDP-93 player. They are still very satisfying. The OPPO is very good with DVD material.
post #1237 of 1640
I know there is no pro settings for the UT50, but is there anything else that can be done beyond basic picture adjustments? I also know D-Nice only has ST50 settings but has anyone had theirs calibrated? I'll use the Disney Wow disk but still interested to hear what others have it at.

Pro settings allow you to adjust..

Black Extension
Gamma Adjustment
Panel Brightness
Contour Emphasis
AGC

Do you know what these are set to on UT50? Because I'm thinking maybe default settings are okay and I wouldn't need to adjust if they were present. Mainly gamma and black extension I'd like to know about. What really separates this from the ST50 other than that louver filter? I'm only interested in picture quality in a dark room. I keep reading how the UT50 is low end but I need facts. Are the blacks truly not as deep in a dark room? I'm not concerned with reflections or anything else. Just raw PQ in a dark room.

Thanks for reading.
post #1238 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I know there is no pro settings for the UT50, but is there anything else that can be done beyond basic picture adjustments? I also know D-Nice only has ST50 settings but has anyone had theirs calibrated? I'll use the Disney Wow disk but still interested to hear what others have it at.

Pro settings allow you to adjust..

Black Extension
Gamma Adjustment
Panel Brightness
Contour Emphasis
AGC

Do you know what these are set to on UT50? Because I'm thinking maybe default settings are okay and I wouldn't need to adjust if they were present. Mainly gamma and black extension I'd like to know about. What really separates this from the ST50 other than that louver filter? I'm only interested in picture quality in a dark room. I keep reading how the UT50 is low end but I need facts. Are the blacks truly not as deep in a dark room? I'm not concerned with reflections or anything else. Just raw PQ in a dark room.

Thanks for reading.

You probably aren't going to find the answer until someone decides to test the UT50. Maybe we should start an official thread for the UT50?
post #1239 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Condor View Post

You probably aren't going to find the answer until someone decides to test the UT50. Maybe we should start an official thread for the UT50?

Can anyone start an official thread? The UT50 is a sleeper.
post #1240 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

Can anyone start an official thread? The UT50 is a sleeper.

It is. I calibrated my friends 42UT50 and this is a very nice display.
Cinema mode was the best mode but not all that bright.
He took it with him but I think it was about 34 fl.

All other modes were over processed with image enhancements that were detrimental (IMHO). However, if you set the HDMI Content Type setting to Graphics, all the other modes become useful. I could then get a very pleasing picture in Custom mode.

I suspect this is true for other plasmas.

The ST series has a anti-glare coating which is a worthwhile upgrade for not a lot of money.

- Rich
post #1241 of 1640
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

Can anyone start an official thread? The UT50 is a sleeper.

Done....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21933139
post #1242 of 1640
Does the 55ST50 have the 2,500 Focused Field Drive or not?

This says yes.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P55ST50

Progressive Full HD 3D
2500 FFD
Infinite Black Pro Panel
VIERA Connect Wi-Fi built-in with Web Browser
3D Real Sound with 8 train Speakers
VIERA remote App Support
Glass and Metal Design


So does this.
http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads...12-Plasma.html

But then people here are saying it doesn't. Very confused.
post #1243 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Does the 55ST50 have the 2,500 Focused Field Drive or not?

This says yes.
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-P55ST50

Progressive Full HD 3D
2500 FFD
Infinite Black Pro Panel
VIERA Connect Wi-Fi built-in with Web Browser
3D Real Sound with 8 train Speakers
VIERA remote App Support
Glass and Metal Design


So does this.
http://hdguru.com/wp-content/uploads...12-Plasma.html

But then people here are saying it doesn't. Very confused.

The NA tv's have the 2500ffd and the euro st has a 2000ffd while the euro gt/vt have the 2500ffd. Not sure why anyone would say it doesn't.
post #1244 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post

The NA tv's have the 2500ffd and the euro st has a 2000ffd while the euro gt/vt have the 2500ffd. Not sure why anyone would say it doesn't.

Thanks for clearing that up. Good news for NA customers.
post #1245 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

We watch a lot of SD DVD movies on a 60" Kuro from about 11' using an OPPO BDP-93 player. They are still very satisfying. The OPPO is very good with DVD material.

Agreed.

We are still using the OPPO 83 with our calibrated 151 at an 8 foot viewing distance. While BDs are definitely superior to DVDs, we are still amazed at the PQ of many DVDs.
post #1246 of 1640
The 55VT50E will be shipping in France in 4 to 12 days, according to this site:

http://www.fnac.com/Panasonic-TX-P55...D/a4100909/w-4

This is not a "fly by night company" and is similar to Best Buy in France. Will our friends from the Old World get the VTs ahead of us ?
post #1247 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

The 55VT50E will be shipping in France in 4 to 12 days, according to this site:

http://www.fnac.com/Panasonic-TX-P55...D/a4100909/w-4

This is not a "fly by night company" and is similar to Best Buy in France. Will our friends from the Old World get the VTs ahead of us ?

Given that the 50" VT was already tested there (I believe it was a 50"), this wouldn't be surprising.
post #1248 of 1640
Off topic (my apologies), but what is the best blu-ray title these days for adjusting settings? I'm guessing my copy of DVD Essentials is out of date
post #1249 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Off topic (my apologies), but what is the best blu-ray title these days for adjusting settings? I'm guessing my copy of DVD Essentials is out of date

+1

in same boat here
post #1250 of 1640
Does anybody know if the VT50 is worth the upgrade from the GT? Is the IQ much better? Does 96khz 1080p make much of a difference over 60hz? Is the screen much less reflective in sunlight than the GT?

Thanks
Aqua
post #1251 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post

Does anybody know if the VT50 is worth the upgrade from the GT? Is the IQ much better? Does 96khz 1080p make much of a difference over 60hz? Is the screen much less reflective in sunlight than the GT?

Thanks
Aqua

I'm pretty sure the answer to all of your questions are "no". The panel is the same. I'm going with the VT for three reasons:

1. Full sheet of glass design.
2. Full calibration options (10p WB and CMS).
3. My tax return is huge.

That's it. Otherwise I'd be 100% happy with a GT, I believe.
post #1252 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post

Does anybody know if the VT50 is worth the upgrade from the GT? Is the IQ much better? Does 96khz 1080p make much of a difference over 60hz? Is the screen much less reflective in sunlight than the GT?

Thanks
Aqua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

I'm pretty sure the answer to all of your questions are "no". The panel is the same. I'm going with the VT for three reasons:

1. Full sheet of glass design.
2. Full calibration options (10p WB and CMS).
3. My tax return is huge.

That's it. Otherwise I'd be 100% happy with a GT, I believe.

I love this response, just love it.
post #1253 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest261 View Post

I'm pretty sure the answer to all of your questions are "no". The panel is the same. I'm going with the VT for three reasons:

1. Full sheet of glass design.
2. Full calibration options (10p WB and CMS).
3. My tax return is huge.

That's it. Otherwise I'd be 100% happy with a GT, I believe.

And Chad B. states that in his opinion the only reason to buy the GT over the ST is for the bright room setting.
post #1254 of 1640
Is the ultimate consensus that plasma is still king, and the Panasonic VT series is the very best TV available? I currently have a 60" Pioneer Kuro which live, but looking for something a little bigger, 75-70" perhaps.
post #1255 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhunkler View Post

Is the ultimate consensus that plasma is still king, and the Panasonic VT series is the very best TV available? I currently have a 60" Pioneer Kuro which live, but looking for something a little bigger, 75-70" perhaps.

You are on a Panasonic plasma forum so of course the answer is yes. Ask on the LED forum or over on the e8000 thread and you may get a different answer...
post #1256 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post

You are on a Panasonic plasma forum so of course the answer is yes. Ask on the LED forum or over on the e8000 thread and you may get a different answer...

From what I seen with the Panasonic, it looks just as good as a Kuro / Elite at night, and nice and bright (if/when) you need it during the day / lots of natural light...

I never even considered a "brighter" TV until I placed the 60" Kuro into a very bright sunny, large living room...

For the record, Im not a fan of (most) LED's. They look too bright / fake to me...
post #1257 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Off topic (my apologies), but what is the best blu-ray title these days for adjusting settings? I'm guessing my copy of DVD Essentials is out of date

AVSHD is free.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Disney WOW you can buy.
post #1258 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhunkler View Post

Is the ultimate consensus that plasma is still king, and the Panasonic VT series is the very best TV available? I currently have a 60" Pioneer Kuro which live, but looking for something a little bigger, 75-70" perhaps.

The reality is the Panasonic -- and all plasma -- will max out at 65" this year.

If you want a 70", Sharp offers many choices (and many prices) in LCD. They also offer a couple of choices at 80". Realistically, that's it at 70" and up. There is some chatter about a 75" Samsung LCD, but I remain skeptical.

Otherwise, you are limited to 65" unfortunately.
post #1259 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post


The reality is the Panasonic -- and all plasma -- will max out at 65" this year.

If you want a 70", Sharp offers many choices (and many prices) in LCD. They also offer a couple of choices at 80". Realistically, that's it at 70" and up. There is some chatter about a 75" Samsung LCD, but I remain skeptical.

Otherwise, you are limited to 65" unfortunately.

Im expecting the es8000 75" priced at $7299. Its in my system.
post #1260 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The reality is the Panasonic -- and all plasma -- will max out at 65" this year.

If you want a 70", Sharp offers many choices (and many prices) in LCD. They also offer a couple of choices at 80". Realistically, that's it at 70" and up. There is some chatter about a 75" Samsung LCD, but I remain skeptical.

Otherwise, you are limited to 65" unfortunately.

you can always shell out the big bucks for the 85VX200
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic 2012 Lineup and Information Thread [No Price Talk]