or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic 2012 Lineup and Information Thread [No Price Talk]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Panasonic 2012 Lineup and Information Thread [No Price Talk] - Page 4

post #91 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

I need to start saving my pennies now, I really want a 65" VT50!

Well, you have until Black Friday 2012...that's when the prices for the 2012 models will be at their lowest, if this year was any indication.
post #92 of 1640
Panadonic's line-up looks incredible this year...but doesn't it always? I really want to hope for the best that these displays kill in person as well as on paper. They seem to be a larger step forward than the small improvement 2011 PDPs represented. I don't really NEED a new TV, but if these panels are as good as they look, it may be hard for me to resist a 60" ST/GT or 55" VT.

I also don't understand why people are complaining about. Panasonic has always had similar lines of plasmas that shared a core panel, etc in common to meet consumer needs at different price points by adding or removing premium features. While it would be great to have every feature in a low priced model, most consumers buying a large PDP don't care if it has extensive calibration controls or THX or the best AR filter or premium design materials or slightly deeper blacks. These premium features drive up manufacturing costs - to what degree, I don't know - and That is why they have a higher end GT/VT series for enthusiasts who care about such minutiae.

And unless I missed something I don't see anywhere on the page for the UT50 mentioning it uses an infinite black panel like the S/G/V.
post #93 of 1640
Since Sharp started kicking butt with last year's large format panels, I expected a trend towards larger sizes this year from other manufacturers.

Panasonic already custom makes larger panels (a guy at Best Buy told me he could get them to do a 100" if I was interested. (Way too afraid to ask the price.)), and I read an article a month or so back where some 'insider' said in 2012 Pansonic's plasma panels would have a nearly 'unlimited' size (whatever that means).

This year I was just hoping for: larger than 70" and 4k resolution.

Honestly, a 4k display with an upscaler would be a great feature.
3D could be in full 1080p and there's been talk of 4k in BluRay players in 2013.
It sort of makes sense to start rolling out the displays now.

I was thisclose to picking up either a Panny or Samsung 65" a month back but decided to see if something larger would turn up at CES. A real disappointment.
post #94 of 1640
DoctorM,

I agree...I was really hoping for a lot more support for 4K this year. Probably priced too high for my taste, but it would at least get the ball rolling.
post #95 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

DoctorM,

I agree...I was really hoping for a lot more support for 4K this year. Probably priced too high for my taste, but it would at least get the ball rolling.

4K TV sets make their debut, minus the hoopla

The nontrivial problem for 4K, though, is that there's nothing to watch in that format. As bad as the shortage of 3D programming has been for home viewers, the supply of 3D dwarfs the availability of 4K material. That helps explain why the new 4K sets received so little attention during the manufacturers' press blitz Monday, even though they will be making their debut in 2012.

"There is no 4K broadcasting," noted Panasonic's chief technology officer, Eisuke Tsuyuzaki. And given that the quality of 4K is equivalent to a pristine copy of a 35mm film print, piracy-conscious studios may think twice before agreeing to let any truly valuable content be broadcast in that format, Tsuyuzaki said.
post #96 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

"There is no 4K broadcasting," noted Panasonic's chief technology officer, Eisuke Tsuyuzaki. And given that the quality of 4K is equivalent to a pristine copy of a 35mm film print, piracy-conscious studios may think twice before agreeing to let any truly valuable content be broadcast in that format, Tsuyuzaki said.

That may be true for now and for a while. However, at some point studios will need to figure out another way to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-sell movies and catalog titles to the public once Blu-ray is milked, hence, 4K becomes the main option.
post #97 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post

That may be true for now and for a while. However, at some point studios will need to figure out another way to re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-sell movies and catalog titles to the public once Blu-ray is milked, hence, 4K becomes the main option.

BD hasn't even replaced DVD yet and even 1080i is downgraded for broadcasting, so I suspect it will be a long wait for true 4K sources becoming readily available enough to warrant a 4K FP display coming to the mass market.
post #98 of 1640
I'm curious to see how a 1080p blu-ray looks upscaled on a 4K display.....if it is spectacular, I can wait on native 4K material. Has anybody here personally seen that?
post #99 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post

I'm curious to see how a 1080p blu-ray looks upscaled on a 4K display.....if it is spectacular, I can wait on native 4K material. Has anybody here personally seen that?

Exactly, this is the big deal for me. I can wait for 4K material, if blu-ray upscales really well. i can't recall if i was impressed when i viewed upscaled DVDs on my PS3...maybe there isn't much room for visual improvement (since the source material is current blu-ray resolutions).
post #100 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Well, you have until Black Friday 2012...that's when the prices for the 2012 models will be at their lowest, if this year was any indication.

Sounds like the perfect X-mas gift! I'll be sure to write Santa!
post #101 of 1640
post #102 of 1640
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/p...2-e/#continued





Who knows what kind of tricks they are playing.. but it definitely looks much blacker :P
post #103 of 1640
Looks like there is more ambient light shining on the 2011 (based on the wall behind the TVs). could be that more light is being bounced off the set, we'll see once we get the actual numbers!
post #104 of 1640
I think we all know you can't trust pictures. Angles, lighting, distances, screen sizes, etc., etc. Even if you are there, what adjustments (if any, the cynic asks) did they do to the sets?
post #105 of 1640
Man, if I ran a large consumer electronics business I would make a point to have my products out within a month after their debut at CES.

Mainly because I would buy a 65VT50 today if they were available. Instead I'll probably end up with a Samsung 647000 or something.

(Yes I understand the point of CES -- previewing upcoming products, but I feel the hype meter is at its strongest right now)
post #106 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by demzor View Post


Who knows what kind of tricks they are playing.. but it definitely looks much blacker :P

It actually doesn't look that much blacker at all (sorry, I don't know if you were joking) and that's an ST30 compared to a VT50. Let's see a GT30 or a VT30.

Panasonic is going to lose this whole black advantage thing much more this year than last, I wish they would have kept up to a greater degree. I think these have a shot at being excellent panels, but time will tell.
post #107 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by demzor View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/p...2-e/#continued





Who knows what kind of tricks they are playing.. but it definitely looks much blacker :P

That is a 55" ST30 vs a 65" VT50. There should be a difference.
post #108 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

That is a 55" ST30 vs a 65" VT50. There should be a difference.

Wow...are these the type of tactics they need to use to prove these "new advancements"?
post #109 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst6 View Post

Man, if I ran a large consumer electronics business I would make a point to have my products out within a month after their debut at CES.

Mainly because I would buy a 65VT50 today if they were available. Instead I'll probably end up with a Samsung 647000 or something.

(Yes I understand the point of CES -- previewing upcoming products, but I feel the hype meter is at its strongest right now)

A very valid point.
post #110 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post

That is a 55" ST30 vs a 65" VT50. There should be a difference.

Oh man! LOL!

There's that goofy shadow thing on the bezel of the ST on the picture with more light.

I'm surprised everyone there isn't bringing it up?

I understand cheating, but why use a 55 inch? smaller sizes tend to be brighter.

So they couldn't use a VT30. LOL! Can't use a flawed TV, to show off a "better" TV.
post #111 of 1640
Im not challenging Dnice here because he would know better than I would, but the bezel on that 20@2 TV looks like the ST50. Im sure I am wrong though. BUT wasn't the ST30 only. 0004 higher than the VT?
post #112 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzal1122 View Post

Im not challenging Dnice here because he would know better than I would, but the bezel on that 20@2 TV looks like the ST50. Im sure I am wrong though.

It really is the ST30 vs the VT50

Quote:


BUT wasn't the ST30 only. 0004 higher than the VT?

Somewhere around there.
post #113 of 1640
not for nothing but the st30 still holds it own against the new vt50.
yes the vt50 is blacker but not but a lot like the other guy said they should have
compared the vt30 and thevt50 and i bet they would look the same
post #114 of 1640
To me, it does look like a fairly significant difference on some of the pics (for example, pics 3 and 5). But then again, comparing with pics is not a good way to compare.

0.0004fL isn't very noticeable, so even if they put a VT30 up there, I would think that the VT50 would look a little better. But again, this is based on the pictures.
post #115 of 1640
Guys, the other thing is, that isn't a 60"+ ST30, (which is supposed to have a deeper black level) it's a 55. 55" sizes were measuring around .008 ft/L, right?

Comparing that to a panel that is probably at .003 ft/L when the other 65" panels from 2011 almost hit that mark is not reducing the black level by 50%- it's not even reducing the black level by 15% as someone had given that percentage to Robert.
post #116 of 1640
Good point.

Obviously best to wait and get some real numbers rather than use pictures of different models/sizes to compare.
post #117 of 1640
hi I'm baaack! Hi Randy! Well this is the year I've been waiting for to get a new Panny TV
this new VT series sounds like what I want and I will be checking in regularly for info. My "old" Panny is a 50 inch PX77 I got in - what 6 or 7 years ago? Seems like I'm due for a treat.
post #118 of 1640
Panasonic lists the vt50 as having a single pane of glass design, the gt50 just doesnt say. Are they both single pane of glass designs? Sorry If this is a dumb question but i am not up on what to look for and what difference it would make anyway. I own a pioneer 4360 and 5080 which I think are single pane.
post #119 of 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommmyJ View Post

Are they both single pane of glass designs?

No
post #120 of 1640
Yep, at CES the Panasonic line looks great. The bezels are slimmer, the sets are thinner, they look good. The problem is they can not be tested and we have a little wait until the new line up will be out to do so.

-- I will note that Panasonics LED line up looked sweet. Almost no bezel and .5" thick !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › Official Panasonic 2012 Lineup and Information Thread [No Price Talk]