or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 54

post #1591 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlurking View Post

All,
I'm an Oppo BDP83 owner who was looking for a decent Blu-ray player with good wireless streaming capabilities.
I decided to give the Sony BDP-S790 a try based upon some on-line reviews and this thread.

Well, the Sony has been in the house for 1 month now and I must say I am very, VERY impressed!
I've been doing side by side comparisons with the Oppo and the PQ is identical...even for DVD up-conversion which is an Oppo strength!

What really sets the Sony apart from the older Oppo is it's flawless wireless streaming capability (not avail on the older Oppo)
and what I think are much better user controls while watching Blu-rays. (Fast forward, 10 second rewind, 15 second advance, etc...)

I originally intended to keep both players... but I haven't even used the Oppo in over 3 weeks so I'm thinking about selling it on Ebay.
The Sony is that good!

Just my 2 cents on this great player!

Pete

That's funny. I did the exact opposite..

I had the 790 and like the Oppo 93 better.

Yes picture seems same on both players for blu-ray, but for dlna streaming Oppo is better.

I have had many mkv's I made that were direct blu-ray backups, and Sony had issues. Expecially if advanced audio was in them.

Even though Oppo says they don't support advanced audio in mkv, I have no issues at all. Plays the advanced audio perfect.

I find Oppo has better sound and picture for streaming over dlna compard to Sony. The Sony was close, but Oppo was better.

Also, I have many backup of my 3D blu-ray on a hard drive in raw bdmv format.

The Oppo will play these directories within sub directories. Example. I have a directory called 3D, and have sub directories that have each 3D backup in their own sub directory. And yes, these backups are NOT in ISO format..

The Sony, you have to copy the bdmv folder into a. AVCHD folder then out on root of drive.

This is lots of work!!!

Oppo also has a GOTO (search function) that Sony does not.


Also Oppo will play sub titles in my raw m2ts blu-ray backups While Sony does not play them.

Both are great players, but in terms of dlna streaming, Oppo is better and sound and pic. Are noticeable. I'm using a 106" screen thus can see the difference..

Just my 2 cnts
post #1592 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlurking View Post

All,
I'm an Oppo BDP83 owner who was looking for a decent Blu-ray player with good wireless streaming capabilities.

I had the 790 and like the Oppo 93 better.

Both are great players, but in terms of dlna streaming, Oppo is better and sound and pic. Are noticeable. I'm using a 106" screen thus can see the difference..
These are two very different situations. wink.gif

DLNA using a 93 on a very big screen, as apposed to an 83 with a more normal screen size (unknown) and probably an interest in Netflix streaming. It sounds like apples and oranges to me. smile.gif
post #1593 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlurking View Post

All,
I'm an Oppo BDP83 owner who was looking for a decent Blu-ray player with good wireless streaming capabilities.

I had the 790 and like the Oppo 93 better.

Both are great players, but in terms of dlna streaming, Oppo is better and sound and pic. Are noticeable. I'm using a 106" screen thus can see the difference..
These are two very different situations. wink.gif

DLNA using a 93 on a very big screen, as apposed to an 83 with a more normal screen size (unknown) and probably an interest in Netflix streaming. It sounds like apples and oranges to me. smile.gif

Very true.... Lol.
post #1594 of 3486
Hi all, I need a little help I just got my 790 and have every thing hooked up. The problem is every time I press the home or play button on the remote it switches the input on Onkyo 3007 from BD/DVD to TV shutting off the audio. I'm using HDMI1 to TV and HDMI2 to the Onkyo 3007 confused.gif
Any help will be appreciated.

TIA: Menace
post #1595 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

These are two very different situations. wink.gif
DLNA using a 93 on a very big screen, as apposed to an 83 with a more normal screen size (unknown) and probably an interest in Netflix streaming. It sounds like apples and oranges to me. smile.gif

Yes... apples and oranges.
My viewing is on a 63" Plasma using HDMI for both Video and Audio thru my Onkyo 886 Pre-Pro.
Blu-ray, DVD and streaming video are my viewing preferences.

On my 63" Plasma...to my eyes... Blu-ray & DVD PQ is equal between the two players.
Obviously the Oppo has no built in wireless streaming. (Advantage Sony)

Not trying to disparage the Oppo. It's been my trusty Blu-ray player for nearly 3 years.

I'm just pointing out how well the Sony performs in comparison.
Throw in the built in wireless streaming and the Sony is a real winner.
post #1596 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by menace2society View Post

Hi all, I need a little help I just got my 790 and have every thing hooked up. The problem is every time I press the home or play button on the remote it switches the input on Onkyo 3007 from BD/DVD to TV shutting off the audio. I'm using HDMI1 to TV and HDMI2 to the Onkyo 3007 confused.gif
Any help will be appreciated.
TIA: Menace

It's caused by CEC control. You have to turn it off or change it to the correct input on your AVR and TV manually.
post #1597 of 3486
I can't get audio from the Sony, I have the following:

Epson projector 6010
Oppo 983H
Sony 790
Onkyo 1007

I have the Sony connected to the Epson 6010 using HDMI Video 1, and to the Onkyo HDMI 1 using HDMI Audio 2 in the Sony. I'm using the AV Separation Output Mode in the Sony to send video to the Epson and audio to the Onkyo. I have the Oppo connected to Onkyo HDMI 2. I have the Onkyo connected to the Epson using Epson's HDMI 2.

1) I can get audio from the sony if i disconnect the HDMI cable that goes from the Onkyo to the projector
2) I can also get audio from the sony if I change the settings on the Onkyo to output video from sub and not main output. Once I do this, I can no longer get video from the Oppo.

Any ideas on how I can make it work?

Thanks
post #1598 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

It's caused by CEC control. You have to turn it off or change it to the correct input on your AVR and TV manually.

Please explain?
post #1599 of 3486
On the 790 go to Setup->System Settings->
Set the following settings to OFF

Control for HDMI
HDMI:Linked to TV off
post #1600 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

That's funny. I did the exact opposite..
I had the 790 and like the Oppo 93 better.
Yes picture seems same on both players for blu-ray, but for dlna streaming Oppo is better.
I have had many mkv's I made that were direct blu-ray backups, and Sony had issues. Expecially if advanced audio was in them.
Even though Oppo says they don't support advanced audio in mkv, I have no issues at all. Plays the advanced audio perfect.
I find Oppo has better sound and picture for streaming over dlna compard to Sony. The Sony was close, but Oppo was better.
Also, I have many backup of my 3D blu-ray on a hard drive in raw bdmv format.
The Oppo will play these directories within sub directories. Example. I have a directory called 3D, and have sub directories that have each 3D backup in their own sub directory. And yes, these backups are NOT in ISO format..
The Sony, you have to copy the bdmv folder into a. AVCHD folder then out on root of drive.
This is lots of work!!!
Oppo also has a GOTO (search function) that Sony does not.
Also Oppo will play sub titles in my raw m2ts blu-ray backups While Sony does not play them.
Both are great players, but in terms of dlna streaming, Oppo is better and sound and pic. Are noticeable. I'm using a 106" screen thus can see the difference..
Just my 2 cnts

I've encountered no issues playing DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD encoded MKVs on the 790.
post #1601 of 3486
Thanks, but it didn't help.
post #1602 of 3486
Thanks will give it a try

Menace
post #1603 of 3486
How good is this for playing mkv files from USB is it as good as the wd tv or roku?

I live in the uk and I can buy a wd tv live and a panasonic bdt220 for the price as the s790.

What are your though?
post #1604 of 3486
Is there a list of S790 settings in the thread somewhere? I will be getting the player tomorrow and coming from the S350. Sbould be a nice upgrade and am hoping i get a slight bump in PQ. If nothing other than the speed and new features, ill be happy.

Any common DOs and donts of this player? Issues i need to be aware of? (there is an issue playing the AVSHD bluray calibration disc, right? Is there a way around that?)
post #1605 of 3486
Search for 'smackrabbit' and '790'. He has given recommended settings several times.
post #1606 of 3486
I'm wondering if I should sell my 590 and panny 220 for this player. Several have commented that the 790 has better dvd upconvert than panny, as good as oppo, yet I refuse to believe as I am very impressed by panny. Can it really be that good?
post #1607 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

I'm wondering if I should sell my 590 and panny 220 for this player. Several have commented that the 790 has better dvd upconvert than panny, as good as oppo, yet I refuse to believe as I am very impressed by panny. Can it really be that good?
It will be the same as the 590 which you have. There are more tweaks available on the 790 but I don't use them and don't recommend you use them either. I have both the 590 and 790 and had a Panny 210. I see no great difference between any of them. I dumped Panny because I experienced problems with 3D and felt the 210 had a weak HDMI board.
post #1608 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

I'm wondering if I should sell my 590 and panny 220 for this player. Several have commented that the 790 has better dvd upconvert than panny, as good as oppo, yet I refuse to believe as I am very impressed by panny. Can it really be that good?

I wouldn't bother.
post #1609 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayson View Post

How good is this for playing mkv files from USB is it as good as the wd tv or roku?
I live in the uk and I can buy a wd tv live and a panasonic bdt220 for the price as the s790.
What are your though?

The 390, 590 and 790 will all play the same MKV files. The only difference is that the 790 can use IP noise reduction "pro" versus IP noise reduction on the 390/590. Not sure of the difference really.

The WD TV seems to be well regarded for local file playback. That said the 590 and 790 playback everything locally I need.
post #1610 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by phannon View Post

I sent off an e-mail to SONY.ca to inquire about the availability of the 790 here in the Great White North. Usually, these requests do not get answered but, amazingly enough I got a reply later the same day! The reply basically comes down to:
"I understand that you wish to know the availability of the BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player in Canada. Currently, there is no information on the availability of the BDPS790 in Canada. Sony Electronics only releases full product and support information at the same time it is officially released to the marketplace by our Marketing Department. However, some limited advanced information is often published in various magazine articles."
Reference was made to the BDPS-780 that I do not even see a current listing for on the site. The 790 has features not available on the other models, not like it was exactly the same as the other models so I do not know why it is not available.....and, not like the cost should be a factor, probably around $300CA or so! SONY Canada has always been a bit bizarre in the items they sell to Canadians, but sometimes it makes little sense to me.
Cheers,
P.E.H.

I emailed Sony Canada yesterday & got his response:

Dear Glenn,

Unfortunately it has been confirmed that this model will not be made available in Canada.

Thank you for your understanding and support of Sony products.

Best regards,

Sony Online Store


I actually don't understand the snub to Canada & won't be supporting Sony products.
post #1611 of 3486
The link to Sonys manual for the S790 is not operational. I was wondering about the Dual HDMI feature...

I understand separating the Audio/Video signals, but is that needed for 2D, 1080p out of this player? Right now I have one HDMI plugged into my TV from the AVR. So, using the dual HDMI out, I would need one HDMI from the AVR for my other devices and one HDMI from the S790 to a send port on the TV. I would then need to change my TV to a different input everytime I want to use the S790?
post #1612 of 3486
You only need dual HDMI if you have a 3D TV and your AVR is an older model that will not pass 3D. If you have such a system, and can't assign one AVR input for video and another for audio, then you would have to switch inputs on your TV. Do you have a 3D system and an old AVR that can't handle it? If not, why not buy the single HDMI model, the 590?
post #1613 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I wouldn't bother.

Thanks. smile.gif I'll just enjoy my players from now on.
post #1614 of 3486
Has anyone run into the issue where you set up streaming permissions on your Win PC.. Windows Media player 12 sees the Blu ray player and all permissions are set, library selected, etc. However, I cannot get the Blu Ray to detect the server when doing a refresh. no idea what its doing. I'd settle for an alternative server software at this point.
post #1615 of 3486
I just set this up last night and it works for me. I had to checkmark the box that says share all files on pc to bluray player. Its in the streaming properties window. After that, my library always came up fine, even after rebooting both devices.

What do you mean, refresh?
post #1616 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadfulwater View Post

Has anyone run into the issue where you set up streaming permissions on your Win PC.. Windows Media player 12 sees the Blu ray player and all permissions are set, library selected, etc. However, I cannot get the Blu Ray to detect the server when doing a refresh. no idea what its doing. I'd settle for an alternative server software at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

I just set this up last night and it works for me. I had to checkmark the box that says share all files on pc to bluray player. Its in the streaming properties window. After that, my library always came up fine, even after rebooting both devices.
What do you mean, refresh?
I have the same issue. When I go to the connection settings in the player, press options, and refresh the list of servers, I never see windows media, hence can't see any of the content on my player. But normally, you never have to go to that screen because all servers are detected and show up automatically.

Serviio and Homestream work great for most things, but I can't get WTV files to work, hence the need for getting the windows media server going in my case.
post #1617 of 3486
My Windows 7 PC just showes up as an icon under the Video section of the S790.
post #1618 of 3486
Did you do anything else on your PC besides check the box to share all?
Edited by mdavej - 8/17/12 at 7:37am
post #1619 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Did you do anything else on your PC besides check the box to share all?

i have to check when I get home.
post #1620 of 3486
No, nothing else. I already had Streaming turned on for my Xbox. So I just clicked "Allow" for my S790 Device int eh Media Streaming window and then I moved the check mark that says Default, then check marked "Share all files with devices".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread