or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 55

post #1621 of 3484
How has everyone liked streaming from Youtube with this player? I am wondering what IPpro settings will result in the best PQ for me. I have a 10Mbps down / 1 Up connection to the internet. I switched this setting, but couldn't see much difference last night. What has been your experience with this option?

Also, does IPpro effect things streaming from a DNLA share on a Desktop (MKVs etc)?
post #1622 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadfulwater View Post

i have to check when I get home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

No, nothing else. I already had Streaming turned on for my Xbox. So I just clicked "Allow" for my S790 Device int eh Media Streaming window and then I moved the check mark that says Default, then check marked "Share all files with devices".
Thanks guys. I managed to get mine working. I don't know if it was due to all the reboots I did or that I turned off the IPSec service in my Win 7 Enterprise that did it, but I see files now. The bad news for me is that WTV files still don't work from the windows server. But the good news is I installed Serviio (Homestream) on that PC and WTV files work fine for the most part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

How has everyone liked streaming from Youtube with this player? I am wondering what IPpro settings will result in the best PQ for me. I have a 10Mbps down / 1 Up connection to the internet. I switched this setting, but couldn't see much difference last night. What has been your experience with this option?
Also, does IPpro effect things streaming from a DNLA share on a Desktop (MKVs etc)?
Youtube is ok. I prefer to just use a PC so I could get HD. Serviio has a youtube plugin that should do HD, but I haven't gotten it to work yet.

I don't know what IPpro is, but 10Mbps is plenty for online streaming. You want as much as you can get for MKV's. But I have horrible bandwidth at my most remote player and 1080p MKVs still play fine.
post #1623 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Thanks guys. I managed to get mine working. I don't know if it was due to all the reboots I did or that I turned off the IPSec service in my Win 7 Enterprise that did it, but I see files now. The bad news for me is that WTV files still don't work from the windows server. But the good news is I installed Serviio (Homestream) on that PC and WTV files work fine for the most part.
Youtube is ok. I prefer to just use a PC so I could get HD. Serviio has a youtube plugin that should do HD, but I haven't gotten it to work yet.
I don't know what IPpro is, but 10Mbps is plenty for online streaming. You want as much as you can get for MKV's. But I have horrible bandwidth at my most remote player and 1080p MKVs still play fine.

I was talking MKVs over my internal network, not internet. Those play great as I have a Wireless N router with 3 antennas and a desktop card that can do 450Mbps (actual 90-110Mbps real measured speed) back to the router.

So, on the Youtube app on the S790, you cannot play movies in HD? I was wondering that... I had a 1080p movie on youtube last night, but I wasn't getting 1080p I don't think.
post #1624 of 3484
Also Oppo can handle a lot more codecs than Sony (oppo 95, I don't know about 930).
post #1625 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

That's funny. I did the exact opposite..
I had the 790 and like the Oppo 93 better.
Yes picture seems same on both players for blu-ray, but for dlna streaming Oppo is better.
I have had many mkv's I made that were direct blu-ray backups, and Sony had issues. Expecially if advanced audio was in them.
Even though Oppo says they don't support advanced audio in mkv, I have no issues at all. Plays the advanced audio perfect.
I find Oppo has better sound and picture for streaming over dlna compard to Sony. The Sony was close, but Oppo was better.
Also, I have many backup of my 3D blu-ray on a hard drive in raw bdmv format.
The Oppo will play these directories within sub directories. Example. I have a directory called 3D, and have sub directories that have each 3D backup in their own sub directory. And yes, these backups are NOT in ISO format..
The Sony, you have to copy the bdmv folder into a. AVCHD folder then out on root of drive.
This is lots of work!!!
Oppo also has a GOTO (search function) that Sony does not.
Also Oppo will play sub titles in my raw m2ts blu-ray backups While Sony does not play them.
Both are great players, but in terms of dlna streaming, Oppo is better and sound and pic. Are noticeable. I'm using a 106" screen thus can see the difference..
Just my 2 cnts

Also Oppo can handle a lot more codecs than Sony (oppo 95, I don't know about 93).
post #1626 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post

How has everyone liked streaming from Youtube with this player? I am wondering what IPpro settings will result in the best PQ for me. I have a 10Mbps down / 1 Up connection to the internet. I switched this setting, but couldn't see much difference last night. What has been your experience with this option?
Also, does IPpro effect things streaming from a DNLA share on a Desktop (MKVs etc)?

What is PQ?
post #1627 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraton View Post

What is PQ?

Picture Quality.
post #1628 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraton View Post

Also Oppo can handle a lot more codecs than Sony (oppo 95, I don't know about 93).

Which codec's in particular ?
post #1629 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraton View Post

Also Oppo can handle a lot more codecs than Sony (oppo 95, I don't know about 93).

Which codec's in particular ?
You can get that information at the top of the BDP-95 owner's thread. They have collected complete details.
post #1630 of 3484
Hello,

This is my 1st post on this thread, and I'm so sorry if this issue has been addressed before, but I'm largely interested in the SD upscaling side of things (mainly DVD), and though I've moved into buying Blu-Rays (2-D & 3-D), I still have a large DVD collection that I would like to get the best viewing experience from.

I've done a lot of research, and it looks like the S790 might just be the best Sony model for my needs. I won't go with anything BUT Sony, as I have had incredible luck with all of their products in the past, and am currently using the Sony 3-D Bravia HX729 Internet TV as my main viewing source...Therefore, I need a Sony Blu-Ray Player that supports 3-D viewing and has excellent Internet connectivity, but I also want a product that will be the absolute best Blu-Ray Player to upconvert / upscale my vast DVD collection as well.

So basically, my question is, exactly how well does the Sony S790 muster up (vs. other Sony Models) in terms of it's DVD upconversion capabilities?

Any help on this topic would be much appeciated!!

Barry
post #1631 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TUNNEL DVD View Post

Hello,
This is my 1st post on this thread, and I'm so sorry if this issue has been addressed before, but I'm largely interested in the SD upscaling side of things (mainly DVD), and though I've moved into buying Blu-Rays (2-D & 3-D), I still have a large DVD collection that I would like to get the best viewing experience from.
I've done a lot of research, and it looks like the S790 might just be the best Sony model for my needs. I won't go with anything BUT Sony, as I have had incredible luck with all of their products in the past, and am currently using the Sony 3-D Bravia HX729 Internet TV as my main viewing source...Therefore, I need a Sony Blu-Ray Player that supports 3-D viewing and has excellent Internet connectivity, but I also want a product that will be the absolute best Blu-Ray Player to upconvert / upscale my vast DVD collection as well.
So basically, my question is, exactly how well does the Sony S790 muster up (vs. other Sony Models) in terms of it's DVD upconversion capabilities?
Any help on this topic would be much appeciated!!
Barry

This is a very subjective question......therefore I will give you my very subjective answer. This BD player will not disappoint.......especially in light of the fact that you have been very satisfied with Sony products in the past!
post #1632 of 3484
Simple question: is there any picture quality differences between the BDP S390, 590, and 790? I'm speaking only to 2D Blu-ray PQ, none of the other features. Basically, is the video processor the same in all 3 models, or is the 790 better for regular 2D Blu-rays? Thanks!
post #1633 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelity View Post

Simple question: is there any picture quality differences between the BDP S390, 590, and 790? I'm speaking only to 2D Blu-ray PQ, none of the other features. Basically, is the video processor the same in all 3 models, or is the 790 better for regular 2D Blu-rays? Thanks!

I think the 790 may possibly be a little better. Supposedly according to a recent article in Home Theater magazine, the 790 was the only player to pass all their measurement tests. Whether one can see it is another matter. I can say that running this player in 'direct' mode with the SBM off gives a superb picture (extremely smooth with great clarity), but I haven't compared it to the 390 or 590.
post #1634 of 3484
Yeah, I read the S&V article and that's why I'm looking at the Sonys (plus I'm more familiar with their interface). However, I care nothing about 4K or 3D, so I'm trying to figure out if I can get the same PQ for 1/2 the cost with the 3/590. Thanks for the reply!
post #1635 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TUNNEL DVD View Post

Hello,
This is my 1st post on this thread, and I'm so sorry if this issue has been addressed before, but I'm largely interested in the SD upscaling side of things (mainly DVD), and though I've moved into buying Blu-Rays (2-D & 3-D), I still have a large DVD collection that I would like to get the best viewing experience from.
I've done a lot of research, and it looks like the S790 might just be the best Sony model for my needs. I won't go with anything BUT Sony, as I have had incredible luck with all of their products in the past, and am currently using the Sony 3-D Bravia HX729 Internet TV as my main viewing source...Therefore, I need a Sony Blu-Ray Player that supports 3-D viewing and has excellent Internet connectivity, but I also want a product that will be the absolute best Blu-Ray Player to upconvert / upscale my vast DVD collection as well.
So basically, my question is, exactly how well does the Sony S790 muster up (vs. other Sony Models) in terms of it's DVD upconversion capabilities?
Any help on this topic would be much appeciated!!
Barry


Quote:
Originally Posted by BFI6603 View Post

This is a very subjective question......therefore I will give you my very subjective answer. This BD player will not disappoint.......especially in light of the fact that you have been very satisfied with Sony products in the past!


Let me be more clear. I am mainly interested in how the DVD upcoverting prowess of the S790 compares to all Sony model(s) (of any year, not just 2012) that are meant specially for the purpose of upconverting, but which also support 3-D viewing and have excellent internet connectivity features as well.....that is, if such a model exists.....If not, then I want to look at pre-2012 models specifically and compare their DVD upconverting capabilities to the 2012 S790.
post #1636 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You can get that information at the top of the BDP-95 owner's thread. They have collected complete details.

I'm trying to understand the statement that the 95 can handle additional codecs to the 790 with DLNA.. If someone could list these this would be helpful.
post #1637 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I'm trying to understand the statement that the 95 can handle additional codecs to the 790 with DLNA.. If someone could list these this would be helpful.

You'd lie too if you spent $1K on a player instead of $200.
post #1638 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

You can get that information at the top of the BDP-95 owner's thread. They have collected complete details.

I'm trying to understand the statement that the 95 can handle additional codecs to the 790 with DLNA.. If someone could list these this would be helpful.
As I wrote, all that information is in the owners threads for the BDP-93 ($499) and the BDP-95 ($999). As far as codec capability, the 93 and the 95 are identical. The main reason for anyone to purchase the 95 is it's outstanding analog multi-channel and independent analog stereo outputs. Owner's with large investments in analog audio gear appreciate the 95. If you're not in that group it's more likely that you would compare the BDP-93 to the Sony 790.

If you use this link you should be able to find what you want. If you have trouble, then ask in the owner's thread for directions to the codec lists.

Owner's Thread For the OPPO BDP-93
post #1639 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I'm trying to understand the statement that the 95 can handle additional codecs to the 790 with DLNA.. If someone could list these this would be helpful.

You'd lie too if you spent $1K on a player instead of $200.
New here?
post #1640 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I'm trying to understand the statement that the 95 can handle additional codecs to the 790 with DLNA.. If someone could list these this would be helpful.
HERE's a list of Oppo supported codes. Can anyone find a list of the Sony ones? Just going from the ones I've tried myself, I don't see much difference.
post #1641 of 3484
As I read through this entire (L O N G) thread, I'm coming to the conclusion that many people feel that the Sony S790 has the best DVD upscaling on the market today, comparable to Oppo at a half or a quarter of the price.

The Oppo is out for me, as I will only buy Sony products, but since the DVD upscaling is such an extremely important decision-making factor for me on what Sony BD Player to buy, I just wondered if anyone else here on the thread could confirm whether they believe this to be true or not, from their own experience...."This" being the conclusion that the Sony S790 indeed has the best DVD upscaling on the Sony market today...(and with the phrase "on the Sony market today", I don't mean just the 2012 models, but past Sony models that are still available as well)...

In other words, if I'm going to buy a Sony BD Player today, is the Sony S790 the best one to go with regarding DVD upscaling?...Cuz that's what I'm getting from going through all the opinions on this thread.

ANY HELPFUL COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks guys,

Barry
post #1642 of 3484
Many retailers give you the right to return a player if you are not completely satisfied. I really don't see how you are taking a risk by just going ahead and buying the player. Especially since you've already ruled out every other brand.
post #1643 of 3484
Regarding 790's blu-ray picture quality, how does it compare against PS3?

I have compared PS3 to Pansonic BDT110 and in certain situations PS3 looks much better. My PS3 is dying (YLOD problem, I reflowed it couple of times already) and I need to find a replacement that has at least the same quality blu-ray picture and it would not hurt if DVD upscaling was also very good. I was wondering if Sony 790 (or 590) would be good or should I just buy another PS3? What has kept me from buying another PS3 so far is that new models are slim versions and it seems they are slower than old fat versions in blu-ray playing (apparently at least slower blu-ray drive).

Also does anyone have information how Sony 790 (or 590) handles 1080/24p decoding? Does it go through interlacer even it is not neccesary or is it clever like PS3 that simply pulls out and decodes 24p frames without unneccessary extra processing?
How responsive 790 is compared to PS3 when navigating players menu and disc menu?
post #1644 of 3484
I have a couple of 390's and a PS3. Although I haven't compared them side-by-side, I can't tell any difference in the picture (BD or DVD). Nav speed within apps (Netflix for example) is a tad slower. How could one tell if there is any extra 24p processing?

Personally I've always found sony's upconversion to be mediocre, so if you're happy with the PS3, then you'll be happy with anything. I was never impressed with the upconversion on my BDT110's either.
post #1645 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TUNNEL DVD View Post

As I read through this entire (L O N G) thread, I'm coming to the conclusion that many people feel that the Sony S790 has the best DVD upscaling on the market today, comparable to Oppo at a half or a quarter of the price.
The Oppo is out for me, as I will only buy Sony products, but since the DVD upscaling is such an extremely important decision-making factor for me on what Sony BD Player to buy, I just wondered if anyone else here on the thread could confirm whether they believe this to be true or not, from their own experience...."This" being the conclusion that the Sony S790 indeed has the best DVD upscaling on the Sony market today...(and with the phrase "on the Sony market today", I don't mean just the 2012 models, but past Sony models that are still available as well)...
In other words, if I'm going to buy a Sony BD Player today, is the Sony S790 the best one to go with regarding DVD upscaling?...Cuz that's what I'm getting from going through all the opinions on this thread.
ANY HELPFUL COMMENTS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Thanks guys,
Barry


ONCE AGAIN, ANY HELPFUL COMMENTS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED GUYS!!
post #1646 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TUNNEL DVD View Post

ONCE AGAIN, ANY HELPFUL COMMENTS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED GUYS!!

An Answer is an Answer
post #1647 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TUNNEL DVD View Post

ONCE AGAIN, ANY HELPFUL COMMENTS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED GUYS!!

Just buy the damn thing:rolleyes:. You have all ready boxed your self in to a corner buy not even considering other brands. I guess your just looking for someone to cosign your assanie position, well you probably won't get that around here,so I hope my first statement is a " HELPFUL" enough "COMMENT" for you.


Menace
post #1648 of 3484
Finally got mine last Friday. No regrets here! Puts my Panny 310 to shame with BD's and DVD upconversion. Very happy camper!
post #1649 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by menace2society View Post

Just buy the damn thing:rolleyes:. You have all ready boxed your self in to a corner buy not even considering other brands. I guess your just looking for someone to cosign your assanie position, well you probably won't get that around here,so I hope my first statement is a " HELPFUL" enough "COMMENT" for you.
Menace

Ok, I bought the "damn" thing, and the DVD upconversion is not bad, but I'm wondering how it stacks up to other Sony models, from both the new 2012 line and previous models like the S780, etc.

Any thoughts??
post #1650 of 3484
I've owned 4 generations of Sonys and seen virtually no difference in unconversion. All were/are average to my eyes. My toshiba HDDVD player I had years ago is still the best that I've seen. However the difference is small.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread