or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 57

post #1681 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post

So i have tried searching this thread for soap opera effect... and with that I'll just post and hope the members here can help. I have this player hooked up to a GT50 and attempted to fire up Tron Legacy 3D on blue ray. Picture was great, 3D was great-- but I couldn't help but be distracted by the infamous SOE...
Is there a way I can turn this off? I tried disabling the 4K scaler but was unsuccessful.
Thanks!

Any frame interpolation in this case is being done by your display, not by the S790, so I would look in the forum for your display and see what they say. I've seen displays that enable interpolation in 3D with no way to disable it, so hopefully that's not the case.
post #1682 of 3484
Thank you Selden and Smackrabbit for the advice, and thank you Selden for going as far as to read through my projectors manual,

I've tried it all now and the problem still exists (all setting). The 790 was feeding the projector 1080/24p, and the projector was reporting the same, yet I still have massive judder. I was just using the Hunger Games blu-ray as an example, the problem exists with everything across the board. Most recently even the menu of the Dexter Season 6 blu-ray is a mess (has a scrolling montage of episode scenes). I can't even look at the screen without feeling motion sick from the incredible choppy jumpy judder presented.

So, looks like it's time to call Panasonic.

However I am very happy with the 790, the picture is beautiful (at least when nothing is moving). Streaming works well, and looks much better than the PS3.
post #1683 of 3484
Cubby,

You're very welcome. I hope Panasonic manages to fix the problem.

Just out of curiosity, have you watched any 60fps TV video discs? I'm wondering if the problem infects them somehow.

p.s. never mind, I overlooked that you said you'd watched Dexter. I find it almost amusing that many discs have 24 fps menus even though the primary content is 60 fps.
post #1684 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Cubby,
You're very welcome. I hope Panasonic manages to fix the problem.
Just out of curiosity, have you watched any 60fps TV video discs? I'm wondering if the problem infects them somehow.
p.s. never mind, I overlooked that you said you'd watched Dexter. I find it almost amusing that many discs have 24 fps menus even though the primary content is 60 fps.

I don't have the BD, but Dexter is shot at 1080p/24.

S~
post #1685 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by o CUBBY o View Post

Thank you Selden and Smackrabbit for the advice, and thank you Selden for going as far as to read through my projectors manual,
I've tried it all now and the problem still exists (all setting). The 790 was feeding the projector 1080/24p, and the projector was reporting the same, yet I still have massive judder. I was just using the Hunger Games blu-ray as an example, the problem exists with everything across the board. Most recently even the menu of the Dexter Season 6 blu-ray is a mess (has a scrolling montage of episode scenes). I can't even look at the screen without feeling motion sick from the incredible choppy jumpy judder presented.
So, looks like it's time to call Panasonic.
However I am very happy with the 790, the picture is beautiful (at least when nothing is moving). Streaming works well, and looks much better than the PS3.

This is what I remember of the AR100. While the AR100 does accept a 1080p/24 source, it is a 60hz projector. This particular model lacks any type of frame interpolation. Try taking the Sony out of 24p and see if that makes a difference.

S~
post #1686 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by o CUBBY o View Post

Thank you Selden and Smackrabbit for the advice, and thank you Selden for going as far as to read through my projectors manual,
I've tried it all now and the problem still exists (all setting). The 790 was feeding the projector 1080/24p, and the projector was reporting the same, yet I still have massive judder. I was just using the Hunger Games blu-ray as an example, the problem exists with everything across the board. Most recently even the menu of the Dexter Season 6 blu-ray is a mess (has a scrolling montage of episode scenes). I can't even look at the screen without feeling motion sick from the incredible choppy jumpy judder presented.
So, looks like it's time to call Panasonic.
However I am very happy with the 790, the picture is beautiful (at least when nothing is moving). Streaming works well, and looks much better than the PS3.

My Panasonic projector (ae4000) has a frame creation setting. Switching this on introduces judder and strange effects. Maybe you have a similar mode on your projector ?
post #1687 of 3484
Thanks again for your responses (I know it's a little off topic). This is an all the time problem...1080p/24, 1080p/60, dvd, video games, streaming...everything = judder. Also, something I never even remotely noticed on my AX200U, and the AR100U is supposed to be the upgrade to this model (I was so pleased with the Panasonic AX that I decided to stick with 'em).

I do know that it is a 60hz projector, and did try turning off the 1080p/24 setting when I was using the PS3 as my primary player, but it didn't seem to change much of anything.

Over in an AR100U thread there has been a very helpful person (Mr.G), who has not experienced what I'm seeing and is positive I have a faulty projector. So, I'll be calling Panasonic tomorrow with the hopes that there is something very wrong with my projector.
post #1688 of 3484
FWIW, Grimm and Fringe BDs are 1080p60.

I could certainly believe that some scalers can do a better job than others when upscaling 24fps to 60fps. If you haven't already done so, you might try some of the other fixed resolution settings in the player.

Some people are much less sensitive to judder than other people are. I have trouble noticing it, for example. I dunno which cagegory Mr G might be in.
post #1689 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

Any frame interpolation in this case is being done by your display, not by the S790, so I would look in the forum for your display and see what they say. I've seen displays that enable interpolation in 3D with no way to disable it, so hopefully that's not the case.

I have a panasonic GT50 and when I stream via VUDU I have no issue-- though I have not attempted to stream 3D via VUDU yet,... but the SOE was somewhat distracting to me as the movie felt very very fake.
post #1690 of 3484
I am using the S790 for streaming Netflix and Amazon. In order to minimize color conversions what should I set the S790 to output, YCbCr 442, 444 or RGB? I understand for BluRay I want YCbCr 442, but what about Netflx and Amazon streaming?

The S790 goes to a Lumagen XS which send RGB to JVC RS10.

Thanks.
post #1691 of 3484
Just ordered it from Amazon on Monday. Cant wait to get it.
post #1692 of 3484
You will not be disappointed!
post #1693 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post

I am using the S790 for streaming Netflix and Amazon. In order to minimize color conversions what should I set the S790 to output, YCbCr 442, 444 or RGB? I understand for BluRay I want YCbCr 442, but what about Netflx and Amazon streaming?
The S790 goes to a Lumagen XS which send RGB to JVC RS10.
Thanks.

If it's going to a Lumagen, it should be 4:2:2. Lumagen would probably tell you to send the projector 4:2:2 as well if it supports it correctly, and RGB/4:4:4 if it doesn't.
post #1694 of 3484
Hello can anyone tell me if there is a way to have HDMI 1 show from the start up? I just picked this up from Best buy on an OPEN BOX sale for $240 and another $40 bucks for 4 year extended protection plan.. It was missing the IPOD holder/connection but that wouldn't get much used by me anyway, I keep my IPOD in my car. I thought it was a great deal I had $300 dollar budget and I wanted two HDMI inputs and the wireless (sought of) back speakers was ideal because i have hard wood floors and wanted to avoid wires across the floor..

Thanks in advanced for any help with my question
post #1695 of 3484
Can anyone tell me if this player is able to play mkv over the network correctly in 24p? Also is the power supply universal for the US model or 120V only ?greatly appreciated. thanks
Edited by ggp159 - 9/3/12 at 8:08am
post #1696 of 3484
Just picked up this new Sony. It seems to upconvert standard DVDs better than my OPPO 93. Anyone else experience this?
post #1697 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboo2u View Post

Just picked up this new Sony. It seems to upconvert standard DVDs better than my OPPO 93. Anyone else experience this?

YES THAT IS WHY WE OWN It smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
post #1698 of 3484
Price Update....Best Buy had the 790 on sale for $229.00( at least here in Maryland) during on of their online "Deal of the Day" I paid $249 and they gave me a $20 credit, but you must have the original receipt.
post #1699 of 3484
Question about Netflix. On my Sony 480 BDP. The "options" button calls up IP noise reduction when streaming Netflix, adjustable in 3 increments. This feature seems to have been left out in the 790?
post #1700 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

If it's going to a Lumagen, it should be 4:2:2. Lumagen would probably tell you to send the projector 4:2:2 as well if it supports it correctly, and RGB/4:4:4 if it doesn't.

Giving this matter some further thought does not what we set the output of the 790 to be depend on what the input of the streaming source is? If the streaming source is 4:4:4 then, I assume, that is what we want the 790 to output. No point in having it convert to 4:2:2.

Is there anyway to determine the color space of the incoming streaming source?

I also have a Roku XS which has no user controls. It outputs RGB 60.00Hz, which seems like a very odd thing to do.

The JVC RS10 was one of those projectors that performed better with an RGB input. This was discussed in one of the AVS threads and my calibrator confirmed it at the time. Unfortunately I no longer remember why RGB is preferred.
post #1701 of 3484
I just did the software update, and everything seemed fine afterwards. Till I played BD disc.I'm not sure if its my imagination or not, but the picture quality seemed to have changed. For the worse. I had my PQ set on Theater Room, and it was perfect before the update. Now after the update the picture seemed too dark. So I changed the PQ mode to "Direct". Is that new? There is nothing in the owners Manuel about that PQ mode.
Anyone else experience this? Any recommended settings?
Thanks all.
post #1702 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAVID View Post

I just did the software update, and everything seemed fine afterwards. Till I played BD disc.I'm not sure if its my imagination or not, but the picture quality seemed to have changed. For the worse. I had my PQ set on Theater Room, and it was perfect before the update. Now after the update the picture seemed too dark. So I changed the PQ mode to "Direct". Is that new? There is nothing in the owners Manuel about that PQ mode.
Anyone else experience this? Any recommended settings?
Thanks all.
I've had mine set to Direct since I got it shortly after it came out.

S~
post #1703 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboo2u View Post

Question about Netflix. On my Sony 480 BDP. The "options" button calls up IP noise reduction when streaming Netflix, adjustable in 3 increments. This feature seems to have been left out in the 790?

Not left out. The 2012 players all use a new Netflix client that isn't using the Sony ip playback engine that has the ip noise reduction pro setting.

It is still available on amazon, Hulu, crackle and others though.
post #1704 of 3484
On the Picture Quality settings, does anyone know the difference between "Direct" and "Auto"? I checked the owners Manuel and didn't see any descriptions.
post #1705 of 3484
Will our Sony 790's cause OPPO to now come in at a lower price point on their new model coming out?
post #1706 of 3484
Doubtful.

S~
post #1707 of 3484
post #1708 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAVID View Post

On the Picture Quality settings, does anyone know the difference between "Direct" and "Auto"? I checked the owners Manuel and didn't see any descriptions.
Direct sends the signal as it is on the disc (i.e. 480, 1080i, etc.). Auto sends whatever your TV accepts. Mine is set to Direct.

S~
post #1709 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Online review is finally posted: http://www.hometheater.com/content/sony-bdp-s790-blu-ray-3d-player
Your excellent review prompted me to buy this unit a few days later. It really does seem to upconvert SD DVDs better than my OPPO 93.smile.gif
post #1710 of 3484
Question for you Dave, or anyone else that knows. In your review, you state that you can use a wired or wirelees USB keyboard with this unit by plugging it into the front USB port. I've tried this, and was not able to get the keyboard to work. It's a wired version. Is there something you have to turn on in the player to get the keyboard to function? I find no reference in the manual for this operation either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mark
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread