or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 63

post #1861 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I had to search high and wide to find a 7.1 TrueHD disk !!
But I found one. You can always count on Paramount ;-)
I can confirm the same behavior as you are seeing. I tested with the S790 and a Denon 4311. I dont think its the Denon though. I think the Sony players aren't converting to PCM correctly or its a limitation. Not sure. I never use PCM .. just send the bitstream to the Denon.


Thanks so much! I am working with Sony Engineers right now. They said this does not seem to be a problem with Sony and Onkyo receivers they have tested. Both my Denon's have the same issue.....but it seems to be only with the newer Sony Blu-Ray players. I will forward your results on to them also.
post #1862 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeeK View Post

Thanks so much! I am working with Sony Engineers right now. They said this does not seem to be a problem with Sony and Onkyo receivers they have tested. Both my Denon's have the same issue.....but it seems to be only with the newer Sony Blu-Ray players. I will forward your results on to them also.

The fact it works fine for DTS MA 7.1 to PCM 7.1 definitely points the issue with the Sony BD !
post #1863 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

The fact it works fine for DTS MA 7.1 to PCM 7.1 definitely points the issue with the Sony BD !
True. My older Sony and PS3's work fine with PCM 7.1, so it is clearly a newer player issue in my mind. Remember the S590 I tested was also doing this same nonsense. I wonder how many thousands of consumers out there are having this same problem, but not even realizing it. What a travesty to not get your native 7.1 audio, assuming you are using PCM that is! :-)
post #1864 of 3486
The 790 on Amazon dropped in price to $198. I had in my save for later (as well as the 590) when I saw that it dropped.

Link
post #1865 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post

I have a Optoma GT 750 720p 3D projector. Yesterday I received my new Sony BDP-S 790
Blu-ray player. This new (to me that is) player plays my 3D discs great, but when I attempt
to convert a DVD to 3D, the projector apparently loses synch and gives me a green screen.
I checked the manual for the Sony, and believe that I am doing this as they suggest. Is there
a trick to the 3D conversion that I don't know about?
Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Good afternoon William!

My name is Amanda Maffei here with the Sony Support team. Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty setting up your 3D viewing. Here is a direct link to our esupport site: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=C1017148&sliceId=2&docTypeID=DT_KNOWLEDGEARTICLES_1_1&dialogID=216813300&stateId=0 0 216817259. This will give you step by step instructions on how to setup for 3D. If this doesn't help, please also try our SonyListens Support (USA) Channel by clicking this link: www.youtube.com/sonylistens. Hope this helps! Thank you! =)

-Amanda Maffei

Sony Support USA
post #1866 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeeK View Post

True. My older Sony and PS3's work fine with PCM 7.1, so it is clearly a newer player issue in my mind. Remember the S590 I tested was also doing this same nonsense. I wonder how many thousands of consumers out there are having this same problem, but not even realizing it. What a travesty to not get your native 7.1 audio, assuming you are using PCM that is! :-)

I think the issue isn't widespread because :

1) Lots of consumers dont have a 7.1 system
2) I would say the majority send bitstream to the receiver
3) There are many more DTS MA 7.1 disks than Dolby TrueHD 7.1 disks !
post #1867 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaram View Post

The 790 on Amazon dropped in price to $198. I had in my save for later (as well as the 590) when I saw that it dropped.
Link

FYI .... There's a nifty amazon price tracking tool out there that can monitor prices for you and you can even view the price history. You set the threshold, and when its met, the system will inform you of the new price via email/tweet .....

Very handy indeed. Just google Amazon price tracking .....
post #1868 of 3486
MKV files over network - no go?

I just bought this player. I have lots of mkv files on my pc. The Sony sees the files but I get unsupported file error on all of them. Arent mkvs supported by this player? If not Ill take the damn thing back.

If anyone has any info - thanks much.
post #1869 of 3486
I am having issues with my BDP-S790 and was wondering if anyone else is encountering them. For background, the connections are:
HDMI 1: Sharp LC-60C8470U TV
HDMI 2: Yamaha RX-573 Receiver

It occurs when I have a music CD in the player and the player either automatically shuts off (as the player is on Stop or Pause) or it is turned off (after a Stop). The power is turned on and Home is on the display. The TV is turned off and the receiver is turned on to the correct input. There are then two scenarios:

Scenario 1: I press the Enter key (Center button) on the remote. The display changes to Music. Press Enter. Display shows that the music CD is playing, but there is no sound through the receiver. Have had one case where the receiver did not indicate any signal and one where it did. In either case, turning on the TV results in music now being heard. Music continues even if the TV is subsequently turned off during play.

Scenario 2: I press the Play key. This effectively locks up the unit. It will not respond to any remote buttons. Nor will it respond to any buttons on the unit itself except for the Open/Close button. In this case, I take the CD out, unplug the unit, wait a minute, and then plug it back in. Unit starts up normally and will play the CD once it is loaded and started.

Has anyone else seen this? What is the most effective way of contacting Sony technical support?

Thank you.
post #1870 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo123 View Post

MKV files over network - no go?
I just bought this player. I have lots of mkv files on my pc. The Sony sees the files but I get unsupported file error on all of them. Arent mkvs supported by this player? If not Ill take the damn thing back.
If anyone has any info - thanks much.
What DLNA server are you using? If it's serviio/homestream, you have to use the bravia tv profile, not the blu-ray profile for MKV to work.
post #1871 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

What DLNA server are you using? If it's serviio/homestream, you have to use the bravia tv profile, not the blu-ray profile for MKV to work.

Yes use the "Sony Bravia Bavia (2012) - US" profile. Then MKVs will play correctly

But only AVC Mpeg4

MKV VC-1 or Mpeg2 require to be M2TS using TSMuxer.
post #1872 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan2b View Post

I am having issues with my BDP-S790 and was wondering if anyone else is encountering them. For background, the connections are:
HDMI 1: Sharp LC-60C8470U TV
HDMI 2: Yamaha RX-573 Receiver
It occurs when I have a music CD in the player and the player either automatically shuts off (as the player is on Stop or Pause) or it is turned off (after a Stop). The power is turned on and Home is on the display. The TV is turned off and the receiver is turned on to the correct input. There are then two scenarios:
Scenario 1: I press the Enter key (Center button) on the remote. The display changes to Music. Press Enter. Display shows that the music CD is playing, but there is no sound through the receiver. Have had one case where the receiver did not indicate any signal and one where it did. In either case, turning on the TV results in music now being heard. Music continues even if the TV is subsequently turned off during play.
Scenario 2: I press the Play key. This effectively locks up the unit. It will not respond to any remote buttons. Nor will it respond to any buttons on the unit itself except for the Open/Close button. In this case, I take the CD out, unplug the unit, wait a minute, and then plug it back in. Unit starts up normally and will play the CD once it is loaded and started.
Has anyone else seen this? What is the most effective way of contacting Sony technical support?
Thank you.

Have you tried connecting

s790 > Receiver > TV
post #1873 of 3486
Hi, Played our first 3d movie kung fu panda 2 using the 790. There were 3 or 4 hangups where the screen would go dark and then the movie would skip a few scenes. There were also several instances of a flash during playback. Has anyone else had these issues? Thanks for any and all help!!
post #1874 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ji9988 View Post

Hi, Played our first 3d movie kung fu panda 2 using the 790. There were 3 or 4 hangups where the screen would go dark and then the movie would skip a few scenes. There were also several instances of a flash during playback. Has anyone else had these issues? Thanks for any and all help!!

Try turning deep color off if its on (or on Auto).
post #1875 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Have you tried connecting
s790 > Receiver > TV

I don't want to connect the player that way as we want to be able to use the player without turning on the receiver. I was wondering how this affects the problems stated. It is because of the HDMI connection?
post #1876 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyListens View Post

Good afternoon William!
My name is Amanda Maffei here with the Sony Support team. Sorry to hear that you're having difficulty setting up your 3D viewing. Here is a direct link to our esupport site: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=C1017148&sliceId=2&docTypeID=DT_KNOWLEDGEARTICLES_1_1&dialogID=216813300&stateId=0 0 216817259. This will give you step by step instructions on how to setup for 3D. If this doesn't help, please also try our SonyListens Support (USA) Channel by clicking this link: www.youtube.com/sonylistens. Hope this helps! Thank you! =)
-Amanda Maffei
Sony Support USA

Hello Sony Support,

My Sony contact now seems to have disappeared via email. What is your company doing about this Dolby TrueHD problem via PCM on Denon receivers?'
post #1877 of 3486
Hi there fellow AVS members.First time 3D blu-ray TV & 3D blu-ray player owner here.I have a few question regarding setting up this 3D blu-ray player with my my TV.

First off I have the Panasonic 55" ST50 plasma.I went through the D-Nice 100 hour panel prep with his slides.I'm using the settings he provided and have been very satisfied using the TV for watching blu-ray movies, HD and normal content on this TV.

I just bought the Sony BDP-S790 3D blu-ray player to go with this TV.I also have the matching Panasonic VIERA TY-ER3D4MU Active Shutter 3D Eyewear.

What settings do you guys recommend for both the TV and this blu-ray player when watching 3D blu-rays? I have quite a view 3D blu-ray movies I've been excited & wanting to see in 3D.

On the Sony BDP-S790 I have downloaded & updated to the latest firmware.In the players "Screen Settings" for YCBR/RGB (HDMI) it's by default set to auto and I have the options of selecting YCBCR (4:2:2) or YCBCR (4:4:4) or RGB.Which would be the best setting here?

Also in the same menu for "HDMI Deep Color Output" it is by default set to auto and I have the option to select 16 bit, 12 bit, 10 bit, off.Which would be the best setting to choose for this setting?

Also for the SBM feature should this be set to on or off?

Another thing I noticed that this blu-ray player seems to run a little noisy when a disc is loaded or while playing a movie.Anyone else notice this ?
post #1878 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipinoyakuza View Post

...and I have the options of selecting YCBCR (4:2:2) or YCBCR (4:4:4) or RGB.Which would be the best setting here? Also in the same menu for "HDMI Deep Color Output" it is by default set to auto and I have the option to select 16 bit, 12 bit, 10 bit, off.Which would be the best setting to choose for this setting?
Auto is probably fine for both as the TV will advertise its capabilities to the the player via HDMI.

But....if you want to manually "dial-in" things for a Panasonic Plasma select 4:2:2 and Deep Color OFF. FWIW, "deep color" DVD's and Blu Rays do not exist---IMHO it's a marketing gimmick until deep color sources are available.
Edited by bluechunks - 11/22/12 at 7:32am
post #1879 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan2b View Post

I don't want to connect the player that way as we want to be able to use the player without turning on the receiver. I was wondering how this affects the problems stated. It is because of the HDMI connection?

It's possible. Does your receiver have HDMI passthru? If it does you could assign whatever HDMI input is connected to the 790 and then could use the 790 with your tv without having the receiver on.

Many Denon recievers (e.g avr-4311) have this functionality.
post #1880 of 3486
EDIT: About a week ago I had to purchase a new Denon AVR-3313 as an emergency replacement for AVR-3310. One of the advantages of it is now DSD bitstream support over HDMI for SA-CD.

I've sorted all major problems of it successfully and I'm now down to this final minor irritation: Momentary audio drop-out during first 5-10 seconds of play of multi-channel SA-CD on BDP-S770 player. This generally occurs only on first SA-CD during listening session; subsequent disks are fine during that session. Pioneer DV-610 is fine of this although it's configured for 2-channel SA-CD playback only.

Not sure what bit of kit is causing this, BDP or AVR. Does anyone have this problem with S790 on Denon AVR?
Edited by Iain- - 11/24/12 at 12:50pm
post #1881 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

EDIT: About a week ago I had to purchase a new Denon AVR-3313 as an emergency replacement for AVR-3310. One of the advantages of it is now DSD bitstream support over HDMI for SA-CD.
I've sorted all major problems of it successfully and I'm now down to this final minor irritation: Momentary audio drop-out during first 5-10 seconds of play of multi-channel SA-CD on BDP-S770 player. This generally occurs only on first SA-CD during listening session; subsequent disks are fine during that session. Pioneer DV-610 is fine of this although it's configured for 2-channel SA-CD playback only.
Not sure what bit of kit is causing this, BDP or AVR. Does anyone have this problem with S790 on Denon AVR?

I have listened to quite a few Super AUdio CDs on the s790 and Denon 4311 with DSD (multi) enabled over HDMI. No issues to report with any audio drops outs at any point during playback.

I tested both multi as well as 2 channel material
post #1882 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I have listened to quite a few Super AUdio CDs on the s790 and Denon 4311 with DSD (multi) enabled over HDMI. No issues to report with any audio drops outs at any point during playback.
I tested both multi as well as 2 channel material
Thanks for the information.

I believe I'll temporarily enable the Pioneer player for multi-channel playback. If the problem doesn't exist at that point, then I reckon Sony will sell yet another BDP-S790.
Edited by Iain- - 11/25/12 at 5:58am
post #1883 of 3486
Sorry if this has been answered previously, but this thread is too long to sift through
I am wanting to know if this player will play large (~15GB) 1920 x 1080 24p MKV files via a USB connected HDD.
If so, what is the largest supported HDD size?
post #1884 of 3486
Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by obxdiver View Post

Sorry if this has been answered previously, but this thread is too long to sift through
I am wanting to know if this player will play large (~15GB) 1920 x 1080 24p MKV files via a USB connected HDD.
If so, what is the largest supported HDD size?

15gb .... No problem. have some that are well over 35gb ... So long as the MKV container is AVC mp4. Files will be played at 1080p/60 though.

The 790 supports NTFS so there really isn't any limit that I am aware of .... However you may get better luck with drives that are not powered by USB itself.

Alternatively just use DLNA to serve the files. DLNA servers can run on NAS or Mac, Linux or windows machines.
post #1885 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

It's possible. Does your receiver have HDMI passthru? If it does you could assign whatever HDMI input is connected to the 790 and then could use the 790 with your tv without having the receiver on.
Many Denon recievers (e.g avr-4311) have this functionality.

But why would I have to connect this way to get around the problem? That is, why does connecting directly to the TV cause a problem?
post #1886 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan2b View Post

But why would I have to connect this way to get around the problem? That is, why does connecting directly to the TV cause a problem?

Hi stan2b, I don't have this issue ... HDMI-1 to LG 3D tv and HDMI-2 to Denon 1909. Its possibleyou may have a HDMI handshake issue.

A few suggestion to try ... try turning off HDMI Control (all three components), try turning on BD player first and then receiver (or receiver then BD player) and ,aybe try resetting the BD player.
post #1887 of 3486
Hello all smile.gif

I have ordered a s790, I think it will arrive today - exiting smile.gif
I have a Boxee Box, will be exiting to see if this can replace it.

When I ordred the s790 I didn't think a lot before ordering it. What I need is a player that plaus all regions on blu-ray (and DVD).
I can send the s790 back, and order a region free s790.
The thing is that a region free s790 costs way more than 2 region locked ones. Maybe the best option is to buy one for region A, and one for region B.

This lead me to think about two issues;
Anyone knows if this will work when it comes to 2 remotes? I dunno if they can be paired or something, could be bothersome if both players react each time I push a button smile.gif
Last, is the player multo voltage, or do I have to use a 120 - 220/240 transformator?

Thanks smile.gif
post #1888 of 3486

Sony BDP-S790 waiting

Hello
I have Sony BDP-S790, have for short time, now on screen only message show "Wait" and does nothing.

I can open and close disk tray but, can not play or do anything, not even get inside setting.

Literally brick, useless. any support or help greatly appreciated

Thank you
post #1889 of 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkuwa View Post

Hello
I have Sony BDP-S790, have for short time, now on screen only message show "Wait" and does nothing.

I can open and close disk tray but, can not play or do anything, not even get inside setting.

Literally brick, useless. any support or help greatly appreciated

Thank you

Have you tried unplugging its power cord from the wall for several minutes?
post #1890 of 3486
I have ordered one from Best Buy, I look forward to finding out if its upconversion is as good as my ol' Samsung HD931.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread