or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 64

post #1891 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Have you tried unplugging its power cord from the wall for several minutes?

Guys there's a trick BTW ... if the player ever locks up. No need to yank the power cord.

Simply keep your finger on the power button (on the unit itself) ... for as long as it takes ...(Normally 10 seconds or so), and the unit will shutdown.

Simply tap again, and it will reboot/restart.
post #1892 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsavini View Post

Hello all smile.gif
I have ordered a s790, I think it will arrive today - exiting smile.gif
I have a Boxee Box, will be exiting to see if this can replace it.
When I ordred the s790 I didn't think a lot before ordering it. What I need is a player that plaus all regions on blu-ray (and DVD).
I can send the s790 back, and order a region free s790.
The thing is that a region free s790 costs way more than 2 region locked ones. Maybe the best option is to buy one for region A, and one for region B.
This lead me to think about two issues;
Anyone knows if this will work when it comes to 2 remotes? I dunno if they can be paired or something, could be bothersome if both players react each time I push a button smile.gif
Last, is the player multo voltage, or do I have to use a 120 - 220/240 transformator?
Thanks smile.gif

I can tell you the USA players are not multi-voltage. 110V only.

The only way I can think of around the remote issue is to use the iPhone or Android app .... there you will be able to select which player you want to control. The regular remote will attempt to control both players at once.
post #1893 of 3484
Another control option is bravia sync. Cover the IR windows of both players and use your tv remote (or universal). The one connected to the active HDMI input will be the only one controlled. I'm not sure how to power up each player, perhaps the front button is the only way. Depends on the HDMI CEC capabilities of your TV, but some will power up any connected devices when a particular input is selected. I can post the codes for all bravia sync commands for sony tv's if you tell me what format you need. I control my PS3 entirely by bravia sync over HDMI using sony tv bravia sync commands.

FWIW, a region free hacked Insignia BD player is often $40 or less on ebay. I used to have several. They worked very well, and the PQ was outstanding. They have the same BD drive as Oppo. But I guess if you're willing to import two 790's then budget isn't a concern.
post #1894 of 3484
PLEASE HELP....
i am running denon 3312 to a sony bdp s7900. however my tv is old plasma so there's no hmdi connection.
there for i'm connecting sony s790 to denon 3321 with HMDI 1
and connect denon 3321 to TV with component (monitor out)
the problem is this. i can hear audio through hdmi 1 fine, but there's no picture
i also connect DVD to denon 3321 and to TV, it works fine audio and video wise.
i already set sony s790 video output through HDMI already.
anything i'm missing?
post #1895 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumanshow View Post

PLEASE HELP....
i am running denon 3312 to a sony bdp s7900. however my tv is old plasma so there's no hmdi connection.
there for i'm connecting sony s790 to denon 3321 with HMDI 1
and connect denon 3321 to TV with component (monitor out)
the problem is this. i can hear audio through hdmi 1 fine, but there's no picture
i also connect DVD to denon 3321 and to TV, it works fine audio and video wise.
i already set sony s790 video output through HDMI already.
anything i'm missing?

No. Simply put, what you're trying to do wont work with the 790. Sorry. No receiver will convert HDMI to component out. The only thing you can do is to use composite video but picture quality will be terrible.

I'm assuming for your DVD player, the DVD player is connected to the receiver using component or regular composite video ?

Bluray players are no longer sold with component outputs.
post #1896 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

No. Simply put, what you're trying to do wont work with the 790. Sorry. No receiver will convert HDMI to component out. The only thing you can do is to use composite video but picture quality will be terrible.
I'm assuming for your DVD player, the DVD player is connected to the receiver using component or regular composite video ?
Bluray players are no longer sold with component outputs.

i'm connecting my s790---hdmi-- denon 3321----component ---old plasma TV
DVD player is----optical/component----denon3321----component----old plasma TV

i think you are right. if i want to see video on blueray player, i need to connect s790---white/red/yellow---plasma TV.. quality is awful.
i just need to make sure i did everything correctly.
i hope my plasma TV breaks down soon.
tks for the help!
post #1897 of 3484
Standalone HDMI to component converters are readily available. An example is http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8125&seq=1&format=2
post #1898 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Standalone HDMI to component converters are readily available. An example is http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011410&p_id=8125&seq=1&format=2

Yes, if money is not a object then HDfury 3 is what you want. Pricey though. Has everything you need and much more.
post #1899 of 3484
Are there any owners of both the sony 790 and the panasonic 500?

In particular, I'm interested in the build quality, esp. with regards to quiet operation/low mechanical noise and also dvd upconversion. Thanks!
post #1900 of 3484
my disc drawer will not open. try'd every thing i could think of. any thought's. thank's dave
post #1901 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikerdawg View Post

my disc drawer will not open. try'd every thing i could think of. any thought's. thank's dave

Suction cup !
post #1902 of 3484
Look for a tiny hole on the underside of the player. There should be one there that you can put a paperclip into it in order to manually eject the tray. Most players have one of these in case the drive mechanism stops working for some reason.
post #1903 of 3484
Hey everyone,

First post here after just buying my s790. One thing I noticed is that the picture is now dimmer? Is this an issue for some? Are there picture settings that need to be adjusted?
post #1904 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

EDIT: About a week ago I had to purchase a new Denon AVR-3313 as an emergency replacement for AVR-3310. One of the advantages of it is now DSD bitstream support over HDMI for SA-CD.
I've sorted all major problems of it successfully and I'm now down to this final minor irritation: Momentary audio drop-out during first 5-10 seconds of play of multi-channel SA-CD on BDP-S770 player. This generally occurs only on first SA-CD during listening session; subsequent disks are fine during that session. Pioneer DV-610 is fine of this although it's configured for 2-channel SA-CD playback only.
Not sure what bit of kit is causing this, BDP or AVR. Does anyone have this problem with S790 on Denon AVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I have listened to quite a few Super AUdio CDs on the s790 and Denon 4311 with DSD (multi) enabled over HDMI. No issues to report with any audio drops outs at any point during playback.
I tested both multi as well as 2 channel material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

Thanks for the information.
I believe I'll temporarily enable the Pioneer player for multi-channel playback. If the problem doesn't exist at that point, then I reckon Sony will sell yet another BDP-S790.

Update of this.

Problem was down to a fault of BDP-S770. Picked up a new BDP-S790 at a local shop this past week and glad to to report no audio dropouts of DSD bitstream, Faultless operation of it.

Also TBH, I was quite disappointed with playback of BD-ROM media of S770. As a result, 90 percent usage of it was with SA-CD playback only. Now with new S790, I'm actually enjoying exploring that neglected media source and most of them actually have stunning PQ. smile.gif
post #1905 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

Update of this.
Problem was down to a fault of BDP-S770. Picked up a new BDP-S790 at a local shop this past week and glad to to report no audio dropouts of DSD bitstream, Faultless operation of it.
Also TBH, I was quite disappointed with playback of BD-ROM media of S770. As a result, 90 percent usage of it was with SA-CD playback only. Now with new S790, I'm actually enjoying exploring that neglected media source and most of them actually have stunning PQ. smile.gif

Glad it worked out for you :-)
post #1906 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthai.rx View Post

Hey everyone,
First post here after just buying my s790. One thing I noticed is that the picture is now dimmer? Is this an issue for some? Are there picture settings that need to be adjusted?

Hmm ... not at all. What color space are you using RGB or YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4
post #1907 of 3484
no tiny hole. But when ever i try to eject disc, the display says D ON. any idea what that means?
post #1908 of 3484
no tiny hole. when i try to eject the disc, the display says D ON any idea what that means?
post #1909 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikerdawg View Post

no tiny hole. when i try to eject the disc, the display says D ON any idea what that means?

Page 41 of the manual. Basically: Contact your dealer or authorized service facility.

There is also an emergency open procedure, but it is not described as working with the display you describe.
post #1910 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Hmm ... not at all. What color space are you using RGB or YCbCr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4

I've tried auto and 4:4:4, no luck. I'm still getting a dark/dim picture. I'm using it with a Samsung eh6000 series tv.
post #1911 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthai.rx View Post

I've tried auto and 4:4:4, no luck. I'm still getting a dark/dim picture. I'm using it with a Samsung eh6000 series tv.

How about checking your tv picture settings. There may be an eco-dim/auto-dim feature enabled. There are also 3 picture modes for this blu ray player, if it is similar to the 590.
post #1912 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post


That depends on if you think the following features / capabilities are worth the extra. Given you paid $120, that's $130 difference. Tough call.


1) Improved build quality and more conservative styling

2) Front display will indicate HD content with HD icon

3) Two HDMI outputs (allows split Audio/video if required)

4) Super Bit Mapping

5) SKype support when used with additional camera

7) Additional levels of customization of video quality (many pre-sets, and user modes) for both internet video (IP Noise Reduction Pro) and BD, DVD and DLNA. More impressed with these than I thought I would be.

8) 4K upscaling

9) Improved remote control

10) others ??

The 790 also has a dual core processor, which is probably a big part of the extra cost.
post #1913 of 3484
Another "others" a remote with instant replay(skip back 10 secs) button and a 30 sec skip forward button.
post #1914 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smackrabbit View Post

The S590 certainly doesn't have internal memory, and the S790 also doesn't I don't believe but I will test tonight. The S570 did and I gave them crap for not including it in the S580, and again on the S590. I'm sure they save $1 somewhere along the line and that adds up after a few thousand players in the end, but it's annoying as a consumer. At least they didn't make it Memory Stick only or something, though.
Has a definitive assessment of this been made?

Does S790 have or does it not have internal memory?

EDIT: BTW, what is IP Noise Reduction Pro and how is it accessed?
post #1915 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

Has a definitive assessment of this been made?
Does S790 have or does it not have internal memory?
EDIT: BTW, what is IP Noise Reduction Pro and how is it accessed?

All BD players have "memory" is whether that memory can be used for BD-live. In the case of all the 2012 players ... the answer is no. You must use a external USB memory stick, which costs about 6 bucks from Amazon. They have very nice low profile designs now, so you dont even know its there ... (if you use the rear USB port on the 590/790).

Ip Noise reduction pro is a upgrade on the regular ip noise reduction found on the 390/590.

Pro provides 6 presets ... default is Film 2. I've found that Film 2 provides a very pleasing output, with reduce noise / banding in the picture, and produce more of a hq like-like image out of source materials with much better blacks and color. You select it by hitting the options button on selected streaming service content (e.g crackle, amazon vod, hulu+, etc) ... not for VUDU or Netflix as they use their own player engine and not for any DLNA or USB materials either.
post #1916 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I had to search high and wide to find a 7.1 TrueHD disk !!
But I found one. You can always count on Paramount ;-)
I can confirm the same behavior as you are seeing. I tested with the S790 and a Denon 4311. I dont think its the Denon though. I think the Sony players aren't converting to PCM correctly or its a limitation. Not sure. I never use PCM .. just send the bitstream to the Denon.


RajeeK and apw2607,

I hooked up my S790 last night, great PQ, haven't tested audio yet. I have the same problem with my Denon 1909 and I can not quite figure out how to get S790 to send bitstream to my Denon AVR 1909.

I have Sony BDP-S790 player, Wii U and PS3 slim (I know the BD player and PS3 are definitely configured to bitstream) connected to Denon 1909. I am actually surprised that the receiver is showing MULTI CH IN for all 3 components -- How do I confirm who is decoding or downmixing the HD audio? With all 3 components (guessing on Wii U for now) configured to bitstream, I was hoping the receiver would decode the HD audio and I will see the blue light. I hear the audio, video works fine on our Mitsubishi DLP WD-82742 as well. I want to debug upstream a little more to see who is really decoding the audio, but I want to hear if you have any suggestions. I will be very happy to have the bitstream working.

Appreciate any latest info or suggestions you have.

EDIT: By the way, I am using AV separation mode with the 3D TV with most of the settings in auto/default.
post #1917 of 3484
It may have already been mentioned but I just received a firmware update.
post #1918 of 3484
Hi Guys,

I am possibly getting ready to purchase a new S790 for my master bedroom, I have the OPPO BDP-83 currently in my HT. Other than missing 7.1 analog inputs I see no negatives for my use in the bedroom. Are there any other players with 7.1 analog inputs in this price range that compete with 790 in features and quality that I should consider? Thank you so much for your reply and expertise.
post #1919 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptnaidu View Post

RajeeK and apw2607,
I hooked up my S790 last night, great PQ, haven't tested audio yet. I have the same problem with my Denon 1909 and I can not quite figure out how to get S790 to send bitstream to my Denon AVR 1909.
I have Sony BDP-S790 player, Wii U and PS3 slim (I know the BD player and PS3 are definitely configured to bitstream) connected to Denon 1909. I am actually surprised that the receiver is showing MULTI CH IN for all 3 components -- How do I confirm who is decoding or downmixing the HD audio? With all 3 components (guessing on Wii U for now) configured to bitstream, I was hoping the receiver would decode the HD audio and I will see the blue light. I hear the audio, video works fine on our Mitsubishi DLP WD-82742 as well. I want to debug upstream a little more to see who is really decoding the audio, but I want to hear if you have any suggestions. I will be very happy to have the bitstream working.
Appreciate any latest info or suggestions you have.
EDIT: By the way, I am using AV separation mode with the 3D TV with most of the settings in auto/default.

Sounds as if the "BD Audio Mix" setting is set at ON. Turn it OFF so it will then send Dolby True HD or DIS-HD Master Audio bitstreams. It's located in "Audio Settings" section.

BTW, I'll miss the blue light since I now have one of the latest crop of Denon AVR. rolleyes.gif
post #1920 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

It may have already been mentioned but I just received a firmware update.
Updated today. Still did not fix problem with 7.1 audio TrueHD PCM with Denon receivers. Sony has not given me any updates in weeks now. Looks like ball has been dropped for this player and the S590 which has the same problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread