or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 67

post #1981 of 3484
So, I've been very happy with this unit for the last few months but have now began to exhibit some issues. The main one as of right now is that when starting up Netflix it freezes on the loading page. When I press the home button, the screen goes black and I have to unplug and re-plug the unit to get back to the main menu. The same night I discovered this, my wife and I watched the new Total Recall on Blu-ray. The sound would cut out every few minutes throughout the entire movie. I haven't had a chance to watch another Blu-ray disc to figure out if it was a disc problem or the unit. I just found it interesting that we started having problems with Netflix, and thought maybe it might be connected.

When trying to update, it says that I am up to date with version Version M13.R.0460. Earlier in this thread (page 65) this update was mentioned and had a release date of 12/8/2012. I haven't done an update since I purchased the unit.


Anyway, your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
post #1982 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by xCUBBYx View Post

So, I've been very happy with this unit for the last few months but have now began to exhibit some issues. The main one as of right now is that when starting up Netflix it freezes on the loading page. When I press the home button, the screen goes black and I have to unplug and re-plug the unit to get back to the main menu. The same night I discovered this, my wife and I watched the new Total Recall on Blu-ray. The sound would cut out every few minutes throughout the entire movie. I haven't had a chance to watch another Blu-ray disc to figure out if it was a disc problem or the unit. I just found it interesting that we started having problems with Netflix, and thought maybe it might be connected.
When trying to update, it says that I am up to date with version Version M13.R.0460. Earlier in this thread (page 65) this update was mentioned and had a release date of 12/8/2012. I haven't done an update since I purchased the unit.
Anyway, your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

No idea about netflix, but many folks are having trouble with Total Recall (2012). Have a look at the thread in the Blu-ray software forum. Apparently you can work around it by switching to LPCM rather than bitsteam.
post #1983 of 3484
No problems yet with my NetFlix either. But Total Recall does have the audio dropout issue when playing Dolby TrueHD via Bitstream. And it is not just with our Sony player, but almost any brand, and no matter what AVR receiver (Denton, Marantz, Pioneer, Onkyo,etc). The current "bandaid" is to set you player to LPCM audio out mode.
post #1984 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_fan View Post

Just got this player. I'm connecting it to a Denon 4306 for audio and my TV for 3D video. I am using PCM, letting the Blu-Ray player decode the audio that the receiver does not support.
I've tested two Blu-Rays, and have the same results others have reported:
- Cars 2, with 7.1 DTS-HD MA. The receiver properly sees this as 7.1.
- Madagascar 3, with 7.1 Dolby TrueHD. The receiver only sees 5.1, so there is some down mixing going in.
Will call Sony soon. Has anyone heard anything from the Sony engineers about whether or not this is planned to be addressed in a (near) future firmware revision?
Another annoying thing is that when I start up the player, or turn it off, there is a temporary glitch on the screen in the form of one of more white lines that quickly appear or disappear. anyone else have this?
The picture's great even without tweaking, but these annoyances are not good. May switch out to the Pana 500, but that one is not without its issues either.

After about 4 weeks of working with Sony on this PCM Dolby TrueHD 7.1 issue, here is there response I got yesterday. Initially they stated it was only a Denon issue, then eventually admitted even their players were experiencing the same problem....which as you will see below, is not apparently a problem in their eyes.

After further investigation with our Sustaining engineering and Design teams we have found that 2012 and newer BD Players are only able to output Dolby Digital Sources over PCM up to 5.1 Channels Only, A part of this is due to the higher sampling rate (96KHZ) that Dobly uses as opposed to the (48KHZ) that DTS uses. This is by design and is not a flaw or defect, the players are functioning as intended and this will be the case for 2013 BD players as well . I apologize for the inconvenience and hope this addresses your concern.

I was baffled by this decision on this part and queried as to why this is so. Second response below.

As technology advances some features are considered obsolete. For Example, we have removed component outputs on our bd players because HDMI is now the primary medium for HD video + audio . Many new receivers that supports 7.1 channels will have built in Dolby Digital decoders that can natively decode the True HD 7.1 streams , therefore there really isn’t a need to force PCM on the dolby 7.1 true hd codec moving forward . It was an engineering + design decision to remove this feature and I apologize for the inconvenience but I will forward your feedback to our design teams.

Sadly I don't think I will ever understand why they removed PCM 7.1 TrueHD support. It makes no sense to me. If they didn't want 7.1 decoding then eliminate PCM support for DTS also. Looks like this is a dead issue. If you want PCM 7.1 support with Dolby TrueHD, time to spend your money elsewhere.
post #1985 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeeK View Post

After about 4 weeks of working with Sony on this PCM Dolby TrueHD 7.1 issue, here is there response I got yesterday. Initially they stated it was only a Denon issue, then eventually admitted even their players were experiencing the same problem....which as you will see below, is not apparently a problem in their eyes.
After further investigation with our Sustaining engineering and Design teams we have found that 2012 and newer BD Players are only able to output Dolby Digital Sources over PCM up to 5.1 Channels Only, A part of this is due to the higher sampling rate (96KHZ) that Dobly uses as opposed to the (48KHZ) that DTS uses. This is by design and is not a flaw or defect, the players are functioning as intended and this will be the case for 2013 BD players as well . I apologize for the inconvenience and hope this addresses your concern.
I was baffled by this decision on this part and queried as to why this is so. Second response below.
As technology advances some features are considered obsolete. For Example, we have removed component outputs on our bd players because HDMI is now the primary medium for HD video + audio . Many new receivers that supports 7.1 channels will have built in Dolby Digital decoders that can natively decode the True HD 7.1 streams , therefore there really isn’t a need to force PCM on the dolby 7.1 true hd codec moving forward . It was an engineering + design decision to remove this feature and I apologize for the inconvenience but I will forward your feedback to our design teams.
Sadly I don't think I will ever understand why they removed PCM 7.1 TrueHD support. It makes no sense to me. If they didn't want 7.1 decoding then eliminate PCM support for DTS also. Looks like this is a dead issue. If you want PCM 7.1 support with Dolby TrueHD, time to spend your money elsewhere.

Hats off to you for your detailed research.

I'm quite surprised by this engineering decision on the fagship player. My s370 which was 1/3 the price easily does 7.1 TrueHD LPCM, and this year's flagship can't rolleyes.gif Since amost all modern receivers have the new codecs, then why not remove LPCM support altogether?
post #1986 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeeK View Post

After about 4 weeks of working with Sony on this PCM Dolby TrueHD 7.1 issue, here is there response I got yesterday. Initially they stated it was only a Denon issue, then eventually admitted even their players were experiencing the same problem....which as you will see below, is not apparently a problem in their eyes.
After further investigation with our Sustaining engineering and Design teams we have found that 2012 and newer BD Players are only able to output Dolby Digital Sources over PCM up to 5.1 Channels Only, A part of this is due to the higher sampling rate (96KHZ) that Dobly uses as opposed to the (48KHZ) that DTS uses. This is by design and is not a flaw or defect, the players are functioning as intended and this will be the case for 2013 BD players as well . I apologize for the inconvenience and hope this addresses your concern.
I was baffled by this decision on this part and queried as to why this is so. Second response below.
As technology advances some features are considered obsolete. For Example, we have removed component outputs on our bd players because HDMI is now the primary medium for HD video + audio . Many new receivers that supports 7.1 channels will have built in Dolby Digital decoders that can natively decode the True HD 7.1 streams , therefore there really isn’t a need to force PCM on the dolby 7.1 true hd codec moving forward . It was an engineering + design decision to remove this feature and I apologize for the inconvenience but I will forward your feedback to our design teams.
Sadly I don't think I will ever understand why they removed PCM 7.1 TrueHD support. It makes no sense to me. If they didn't want 7.1 decoding then eliminate PCM support for DTS also. Looks like this is a dead issue. If you want PCM 7.1 support with Dolby TrueHD, time to spend your money elsewhere.

I reviewed a LG player earlier this year that would actually output PCM 2.0 with any TrueHD soundtrack BY DESIGN!!! It was a limitation of the chipset used in the player. I was shocked when LG came back to me with this information.
post #1987 of 3484
What might be of interest to some of you, then? I tried the new Panasonic BDT500 BD player before I decided on this S790. When using bitstream out, if the source was 5.1, you got 5.1 to your AVR. Now luckily, my Pioneer can force the 2 SB channel speakers on, or I can use the THX mode to add the 2 SB speakers on, to get 7.1 surround.

But, if you set that BDT500 to LPCM mode, as even stated in the manual - it will convert most 6.1/5.1 or less source into a true 7.1 LPCM output to your AVR. Kinda neat, if your AVR don't have the settings my Pioneer SC05 has.
post #1988 of 3484
Just picked up the S790 on Friday (my Panny DMP-BD85 stopped being able to play blurays, would play DVDs without issue though...), really like the unit with just one small complaint, and one question:

Complaint: NO modular power plug, probally not an issue for most, but with my setup (see sig link) I have wall furnature, and to keep it clean needed to tear open everything (which prob wasnt the end of the world as I need to do a drop of house cleaning on it anyways, just a PITA if I need to take it down I really cant without pulling everything down again to take the unit off the shelf.

Question: MP3 files, all my music is coming up as unsupported file types, and they are MP3s. Does the bit rate need to be something specific (mine vary file to file from 180 to 320)? Really perplexed on what is causing the issue (mix of purchased MP3s from Amazon, as well as ripped music I own)

Thanks
post #1989 of 3484
Having just treated myself to a Sony KDL55HX853 3D HD Smart TV I am now looking to change my old DVD player to a Blu Ray player, I'm pretty loyal to Sony, all TV,s have been Sony, amp is Sony, DVD player is Sony so I'm looking for a Sony Blu Ray player, I have been offered a S760 new in box for £100, is this value for money over the S790 which will cost me about £200? I'm not an expert on films and don't watch that many but would like to have a good quality machine.

Thanks
post #1990 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamrt View Post

Having just treated myself to a Sony KDL55HX853 3D HD Smart TV I am now looking to change my old DVD player to a Blu Ray player, I'm pretty loyal to Sony, all TV,s have been Sony, amp is Sony, DVD player is Sony so I'm looking for a Sony Blu Ray player, I have been offered a S760 new in box for £100, is this value for money over the S790 which will cost me about £200? I'm not an expert on films and don't watch that many but would like to have a good quality machine.
Thanks

NOT a good deal: (Several Years Old!) that Model was superceded by the 770 a much better model, which has now been superceded by the 790. Previous models are lacking in the APP department, and may have problems playing some of the current DTS Blu-rays properly. If you want to go less, check out the 590, and from what I'm seeing, either 590 or 790 models are on Boxing day special pricings.
post #1991 of 3484
Hello Everyone,

Looking for some feedback on the S790 regarding the DLNA / Photo playback feature. I'm specifically looking to compare it to the Playstation 3.

My son has a Playstation 3 and I love the way the PS3 shows photos on my TV via DLNA. I love the user interface, the way I can zoom/move around the photo, set slideshow options and transitions. Does the S790 have the same feature set as the PS3 for viewing photos?

My wife bought me a Panasonic BDT320 for Xmas and although its a good player, I'm not crazy about the DLNA/Photo/User interface. It's clunky and slow and has virtually no features.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
post #1992 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

NOT a good deal: (Several Years Old!) that Model was superceded by the 770 a much better model, which has now been superceded by the 790. Previous models are lacking in the APP department, and may have problems playing some of the current DTS Blu-rays properly. If you want to go less, check out the 590, and from what I'm seeing, either 590 or 790 models are on Boxing day special pricings.

So is paying twice as much for the S790 worth the extra money or is £130 for the S590 the better deal, I'm a bit skint after Xmas so looking at the S590 I think?
Edited by adamrt - 12/25/12 at 11:43am
post #1993 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikenK View Post

Hello Everyone,
Looking for some feedback on the S790 regarding the DLNA / Photo playback feature. I'm specifically looking to compare it to the Playstation 3.
My son has a Playstation 3 and I love the way the PS3 shows photos on my TV via DLNA. I love the user interface, the way I can zoom/move around the photo, set slideshow options and transitions. Does the S790 have the same feature set as the PS3 for viewing photos?
My wife bought me a Panasonic BDT320 for Xmas and although its a good player, I'm not crazy about the DLNA/Photo/User interface. It's clunky and slow and has virtually no features.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

The Sony Bd Interface is essentially the same as the Pansonic. Little or no feature for photos.
post #1994 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamrt View Post

So is paying twice as much for the S790 worth the extra money or is £130 for the S590 the better deal, I'm a bit skint after Xmas so looking at the S590 I think?

Given your requirements the 590 will be fine. 790 offers mainly more video tweaks, and a slightly improved build at the end of the day. Search through the thread. It's being discussed before.
post #1995 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

The Sony Bd Interface is essentially the same as the Pansonic. Little or no feature for photos.

That's disappointing. Being a Sony product, I was hoping the features would be a lot more like the PS3. Unfortunately, I'm not able to find a store with a working demo so I can try it out.
post #1996 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamrt View Post

So is paying twice as much for the S790 worth the extra money or is £130 for the S590 the better deal, I'm a bit skint after Xmas so looking at the S590 I think?

Over here, the 590 is being quoted for boxing day at around $99 - 130 Pounds, (About $195CA) they're asking alot of money!
post #1997 of 3484
I am looking at getting a new blu-ray player. When will the replacement for the 790 come out? Thanks.
post #1998 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphfrom77 View Post

I am looking at getting a new blu-ray player. When will the replacement for the 790 come out? Thanks.

If its anything like last year it will be made available mid April with an announcement at CES / demo models etc 2nd week of Jan.

Lets hope the press give it decent coverage.
post #1999 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikenK View Post

Hello Everyone,
Looking for some feedback on the S790 regarding the DLNA / Photo playback feature. I'm specifically looking to compare it to the Playstation 3.
My son has a Playstation 3 and I love the way the PS3 shows photos on my TV via DLNA. I love the user interface, the way I can zoom/move around the photo, set slideshow options and transitions. Does the S790 have the same feature set as the PS3 for viewing photos?
My wife bought me a Panasonic BDT320 for Xmas and although its a good player, I'm not crazy about the DLNA/Photo/User interface. It's clunky and slow and has virtually no features.
Any input is greatly appreciated.

From my experience, the interface feels slower and less user friendly as compared to PS3. And on a few occasions it become unresponsive and I had to power off/on the unit. Also, I prefer a bluetooth remote (PS3) vs. IR as I don't have to aim at the unit. I wish bluetooth was more common in AV equipment these days.

The only advantage of BDP-S790 is Skype support (there is no Skype for PS3) but you have to buy a dedicated camera from Sony.
post #2000 of 3484
Question/concern with my S790. I watched it for several hours over the holidays and noticed on both blu-ray playback and streaming there was a slight white, grainy texture that would show up time to time. It kinda grays out the black so it isn't crisp or clear. It is hard to describe but if you have experienced it you will know what I am talking about. Any one else seen this? Any suggestions on a fix or changing settings? Any help is appreciated. It is a super player except for this. Thanks, Troy
post #2001 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyhash View Post

Question/concern with my S790. I watched it for several hours over the holidays and noticed on both blu-ray playback and streaming there was a slight white, grainy texture that would show up time to time. It kinda grays out the black so it isn't crisp or clear. It is hard to describe but if you have experienced it you will know what I am talking about. Any one else seen this? Any suggestions on a fix or changing settings? Any help is appreciated. It is a super player except for this. Thanks, Troy

Long HDMI cable run ?

Turn off deep color.
post #2002 of 3484
HDMI cable is monoprice.com hd 6 ft, Deep color is off. What "does" deep color do anyway??
post #2003 of 3484
i had a similar experince while watching the expendables 2. at times the picture would get quite grainy. i figured it was the film because i hadn't seen it prior, but reviews of seem positive for PQ. i think deep color extends the color palate range possible.

btw...still can't get the sony and marantz to talk nicely. might have to just bite the bullet and upgrade. wink.gif
post #2004 of 3484
Ive had the 790 for several months with zero problems till Total Recall,which audio settings in the menu do you use to go from bitstream to pcm? Ive always just used bitstream never pcm.is it the audio (hdmi) or dolby digital/dts downmix pcm? thanks
post #2005 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

Ive had the 790 for several months with zero problems till Total Recall,which audio settings in the menu do you use to go from bitstream to pcm? Ive always just used bitstream never pcm.is it the audio (hdmi) or dolby digital/dts downmix pcm? thanks

I also had audio problems and some freezing watching Total Recall. I thought it was the disk but had not yet returned it. I do bitstream but since the picture froze as well, probably not an audio problem. By hitting the fast forward button I was able to continue watching the movie. This happened about 5 times.
post #2006 of 3484
I think you guys must be talking about total recall 2012, and not the old total recall movie.

There is a boat load of issues reported with this disk on all players.

Assuming youre using HDMI , you can choose PCM output which fixes the issue by selecting

Audio settings > audio (HDMI) > PCM

Note, dolby digital / DTS setting in audio settings is only for the Digital audio outputs on the player.
post #2007 of 3484

sony rocks

unlike oppo bdp-105 which can only upscale blu-ray film to 4K quality only if your using a 4k tv but sony player can upscale movie to 4k quality and transmit that 4k quality in 1080p and in 1080p3D or upscale film to 4k and transmit the film in 4k if you have a 4k tv the player from sony which does this is the bdp-s790.smile.gif
post #2008 of 3484
I am not sure that there is any benefit to taking a source and scaling it to 4k only to take it back to 1080p.
post #2009 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I think you guys must be talking about total recall 2012, and not the old total recall movie.
There is a boat load of issues reported with this disk on all players.
Assuming youre using HDMI , you can choose PCM output which fixes the issue by selecting
Audio settings > audio (HDMI) > PCM
Note, dolby digital / DTS setting in audio settings is only for the Digital audio outputs on the player.

Well I was referring to the 2012 version. Didn't know this was a problem disk. I was actually playing the Recall 2012 in my Sony changer and it was having this problem. I use the S790 strictly for 3D and SA.
post #2010 of 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by techagent77 View Post

unlike oppo bdp-105 which can only upscale blu-ray film to 4K quality only if your using a 4k tv but sony player can upscale movie to 4k quality and transmit that 4k quality in 1080p and in 1080p3D or upscale film to 4k and transmit the film in 4k if you have a 4k tv the player from sony which does this is the bdp-s790.smile.gif

Huh ? This makes no sense. 4k output on the 790 is only enabled when there is a 4k compatible display connected.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread