Originally Posted by vaidyabala
I am relatively new to the forum. Just bought sony bdp-s790 after reading rave reviews on this forums. So far I am pleased.
My setup is Sony BDP-S790 ---> Sony STR-DA5300ES Receiver --->Sony KDS-60A3000 TV using HDMI. I also have PS3, Verizon Fios all connected to the Sony Receiver via HDMI as well.
Both Sony BDP-S790 and PS3 have wired TCP/IP connection. I connected the device to internet and it was updated the latest firmware
I have couple of questions that I am not fully clear of.
a) When I turn on the Sony BDP-S790 I see my TV screen flicker several times. The menu comes on and it disappears for a second and comes back, disappears again, come back. This happens 3 or 4 minutes before it settles down. Sometimes it does not stop. I have to physically turn off and turn on the player. I am not sure if this is due to HDMI handshake. Did anyone experience this as well? Is this normal? This happens while navigating through the menu, selecting video/audio apps etc as well.
b) Does the internal engine, scales the internet streaming videos to 1080 resolution also? I am noticing smooth picture quality. I signed up for new Indian TV Channels (yupptv). Just curious if the service itself is better and transmitting at higher resolution or my dvd player is doing to scaling as well. Is there a way to check if blu rayer is doing any scaling of incoming video stream?
So far this is my opinion about this blu-ray player
- Decent picture quality
- Even streaming video quality seems to be better compared to PS3
- wide variety of video/audio apps streaming support
- relatively fast
- 2 HDMI outs (somewhat future proof)
- Remote works easily with other sony devices without any programming
- Quick and easy setup. Firmware upgrade part went smoothly
- HDMI handshake is sketchy. Turning on the blue ray player the first time, make the tv screen flash several times (4-5 minutes), and it continues even if I start youtube video stream. Turning off the player and turning it on makes the problem go away. Tried switching on the TV/receiver first and then the player. It works sometimes but not always
- No way to remove unwanted Video apps or mark the ones you want as favorites. I talked to tech support as well about this. I use only a couple of streaming apps and I have to go through a long list of useless things everytime to locate them. Real pain. There is no way to install only the needed ones. Sony should provide a way to install/uninstall video apps. This is big miss as far as I am concerned
- Remote is plasticy. Remote buttons give annoying clicking sound.
Played looper blu ray over the weekend, the picture seems little soft. I have not played with any settings in the player yet. Using just out of box settings. Did not have time to compare same video on PS3. Will do some more testing. Not tried to DLNA features yet.