or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 86

post #2551 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post

Has anyone experienced any issues with streaming internet content in general? It seems as though Vudu and Crackle are hit-or-miss at best.

My Sony player is hard-wired to my network router. If I connect to speedtest.vudu.com I average 18mb/s downstream, but via the Sony player it bounces between 9...6...2... sometimes the speedtest fails alltogether.

It's EXTREMELY frustrating at this point. I've had comcast/xfinity come out and verify all is well with the inside as well as outside line. I'm completely lost on this and all I can think of is how I'll never buy another Sony BR player.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have no clue what Crackle is?

I use VuDu all the time - perfect for me.

I also use Netflix all the time - perfect for me.

I also use Amazon once in a while - also perfect.
post #2552 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I have no clue what Crackle is?

I use VuDu all the time - perfect for me.

I also use Netflix all the time - perfect for me.

I also use Amazon once in a while - also perfect.

It's a free service that streams original TV shows (new Seinfeld show is available via Crackle) as well as some decent movies.

I like the idea of Vudu when it works, but again, all is not perfect for my Sony player. Glad to hear you're not experiencing any issue.

I found this from Sony's support forum and wonder if there is any validity to it:

***start**
Here is the reason you have a problem. After a lot of time on the phone with tech support, I learned that Sony has all Internet activity, including Netflix, go through Sony servers. That means that your streaming Netflix movie does not go from Netflix to you, but rather Netflix to SONY to you. If Sony's servers have a high load, your stream suffers, or in the worst case you get network down or unavailable.

The other part of this is that Sony sees everything you watch on Netflix. During my conversation, the support guy says, "I see you had problems watching nnnnnnnnn, which is a high def movie."

Every time I've checked, after an endless "Loading..." or network unavailable, there was no problem streaming to my computer or to my VIZIO TV with Internet apps built in.
***end***
post #2553 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post

It's a free service that streams original TV shows (new Seinfeld show is available via Crackle) as well as some decent movies.

I like the idea of Vudu when it works, but again, all is not perfect for my Sony player. Glad to hear you're not experiencing any issue.

I found this from Sony's support forum and wonder if there is any validity to it:

***start**
Here is the reason you have a problem. After a lot of time on the phone with tech support, I learned that Sony has all Internet activity, including Netflix, go through Sony servers. That means that your streaming Netflix movie does not go from Netflix to you, but rather Netflix to SONY to you. If Sony's servers have a high load, your stream suffers, or in the worst case you get network down or unavailable.

The other part of this is that Sony sees everything you watch on Netflix. During my conversation, the support guy says, "I see you had problems watching nnnnnnnnn, which is a high def movie."

Every time I've checked, after an endless "Loading..." or network unavailable, there was no problem streaming to my computer or to my VIZIO TV with Internet apps built in.
***end***

I am surprised content goes through sony - but at least here in NH on Comcast all is GOOD.

I have used VuDu for 3d mostly and I only stream HDX content.
post #2554 of 3485
Using my Computer: it matches the Internet Speed provided by my supplier.

Results
Download Speed: 5825 kbps (5.8 Mbps)
Upload Speed: 598 kbps (0.6 Mbps)
post #2555 of 3485
Try using a public DNS in the Sony network settings. Try 8.8.8.8 which is googles DNS. Try using a fixed IP address for the Sony player rather than dhcp. Finally if possible try a different router. Try connecting your Sony BDP directly to the cable modem if separate.
post #2556 of 3485
cant seem to get audio from hdmi 2 when using hdmi 1 for video. I have av separation mode set to on. Any suggestions?
post #2557 of 3485
Trying to help someone set one of these up in a new house.

From what I've read back in Jul-Oct in this thread, Direct vs Auto offers the same pq accuracy with color errors as found by Smackrabbit, its just direct works like source direct on the OPPO, where Auto will put out what you have it set to.

My plan was to setup as Auto, 1080p/60 (24hz) off so that 1080p/60 is output for DVD and Bluray. I'll probably leave SBM and those other type features off. Does that sound about right?
post #2558 of 3485
hey im seen some motion blur on my PN60E7000 plasma even with the cinema smooth engaged (fast five movie)..could be a setiing on the s790? where i should set the HDMI output,color space,etc etc on this particular unit to get the best picture quality and less motion blur? any help will be apreciate thanks
post #2559 of 3485
No, the 96hz modes still have some issues with pans.
post #2560 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Trying to help someone set one of these up in a new house.

From what I've read back in Jul-Oct in this thread, Direct vs Auto offers the same pq accuracy with color errors as found by Smackrabbit, its just direct works like source direct on the OPPO, where Auto will put out what you have it set to.

My plan was to setup as Auto, 1080p/60 (24hz) off so that 1080p/60 is output for DVD and Bluray. I'll probably leave SBM and those other type features off. Does that sound about right?

The color error found in this player was only for RGB output, and has since being fixed in a firmware update from Sony.

Only you can determine what you "like". For me, I use SBM and like 1080p/24 output (for BD) ... and the "Auto" video setting. Horses for courses.
post #2561 of 3485
The question wasn't about what I like, it was whether the assumption of auto with 24p off would just output 1080p/60 correctly for DVD and Bluray.
post #2562 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

The question wasn't about what I like, it was whether the assumption of auto with 24p off would just output 1080p/60 correctly for DVD and Bluray.

If you never want to output 24p output (for either BD and DVD) then the following two screen settings need to be set to "off"

BD-ROM 24p output
DVD-ROM 24 output

By default, BD-ROM 24p output will be set to Auto, and DVD-ROM 24p output will be set to off.

VOD or Local media playback is not affected by these settings and the S790 is not able to output 24p for VOD or local media.
post #2563 of 3485
Thanks.
post #2564 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by levy07 View Post

cant seem to get audio from hdmi 2 when using hdmi 1 for video. I have av separation mode set to on. Any suggestions?

Hi levy07, I had this happen a few times and found just by turning off the tv and back on fix the HDMI handshake.
post #2565 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

ive being living with this model for a few months, and i was about to sell it due the lack of source direct mode....but biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

heres one thing that is not mention in many places:

The sony s-790 has source direct feature, but sony calls it "ORIGINAL RESOLUTION"



biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif its closer to the oppo now.

source: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/blu-ray-players/blu-ray-players-reviews/sony-bdp-s790-blu-ray-player/all-pages.html

If in fact the "Original Resolution" setting is the same as "Direct," wouldn't that be a better setting than "Auto?" From what I know & learned about "Direct" on my other players, using that setting forces 24p, which I've always thought was the ideal setting, particulary when watching BD movies. Is there a specific reason why "Auto" would be preferred?

Ken
post #2566 of 3485
All depends on how your display does with 24p. Ive found letting the player send out 1080p/60 instead of 1080p/24 to my VT50 is better. These are things you have to check, all parts of the chain affect this stuff.
post #2567 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearrean View Post

If in fact the "Original Resolution" setting is the same as "Direct," wouldn't that be a better setting than "Auto?" From what I know & learned about "Direct" on my other players, using that setting forces 24p, which I've always thought was the ideal setting, particulary when watching BD movies. Is there a specific reason why "Auto" would be preferred?

Ken

24p and the HDMI output resolution are related but are separate settings

Auto simply communicates with the display device automatically to determine the maximum resolution the display can support and then sets the player up to output that resolution. As already stated, even if you use original resolution, if the player plays back 480i material it will be scaled to 480 progressive, so its not true original resolution.

24p material will only be output if the appropriate 24p output settings are set up and the player detects the 24p encoded material on the disk. This can only happen though if Auto has set the output to 1080p OR the user has manually chosen 1080p
post #2568 of 3485
Yepp, I toyed around tonight. If you set 24p to off, Auto, forced 1080p, and Original all will output 1080p/60 on a blu-ray.

For me, Id not want DVD sent out as 480p for my setup, so Id just force 1080p and 24p on like Ive always done. In the options menu while the disc is playing, I made sure Auto was selected. It's my understanding from reading that both Auto and Original are accurate as far as color errors. I also cut SBM off and set color space to ycbcr 444.
post #2569 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi levy07, I had this happen a few times and found just by turning off the tv and back on fix the HDMI handshake.

Thanks JChin. I will try that. I was using it with a BenQ W1070 projector
post #2570 of 3485
Is the PQ on this player as good ad the OPPO 103?
post #2571 of 3485
For what?

Here is my 0.02, Ive owned an Oppo 93, just sold a 103, also have had several Panasonics and currently have a BDT500.

790 vs 103:

Streaming - Better
Blu-ray - Both look great, this is usually no "better" here among new players if they are setup properly
DVD - No clue
Edited by gadgtfreek - 5/4/13 at 12:25pm
post #2572 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

For what?Here is my 0.02, Ive owned an Oppo 93, just sold a 103, also have had several Panasonics and currently have a BDT500. 790 vs 103: Streaming - Better
Blu-ray - Both look great, this is usually no "better" here among new players if they are setup properly
DVD - No clue

Agreed if all you do is watch blu ray connected via HDMi a $100 player is all you need!
post #2573 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Agreed if all you do is watch blu ray connected via HDMi a $100 player is all you need!

That's not been the case in my experience. Even in 'direct mode' (i.e. no processing to the image), I see subtle but not insignificant differences in the image quality of various players. For example, the image of the S380 is not as good as the S790. The S790 is clearer and seems to have more natural and even color saturation.
post #2574 of 3485
Looks like my previous posts about MKV files not working using MINIDLNA via a netgear NV+V2 have been deleted.

Anyway, netgear are taking their time with it so I'm trying to get them to replace the unit with a brand new 104 series or issue me with a refund.

I'm looking at the Synology DS413J, anyone know or have experience with this NAS and its DLNA Server? I do believe you can install your own, I'll need to get that confirmed though.
post #2575 of 3485
I was wondering about the Netflix app. I know my speeds are good enough for 1080 but I can only get 720p.
post #2576 of 3485
In case anyone is curious, I recently used my 790 as a signal generator to calibrate my VT50, with one of the free discs here. Ycbcr 444, 1080p/24 in Auto pic mode. The results are outstanding so far, so Id have no regret using it as one if you need too.
post #2577 of 3485
You can download Serviio preconfigured for Synology NAS here

http://pcloadletter.co.uk/2012/01/25/serviio-syno-package/
post #2578 of 3485
Hi All
I’m really new here – I have streaming video files over DLNA from my NAS drive with my s790

I still have my S570 and this plays the M2TS and MPEG files just fine – I have it connected right now!! The s790 will not play the very same files and flags up the a ‘file corrupt’ message.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Tim
post #2579 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by timban View Post

Hi All
I’m really new here – I have streaming video files over DLNA from my NAS drive with my s790

I still have my S570 and this plays the M2TS and MPEG files just fine – I have it connected right now!! The s790 will not play the very same files and flags up the a ‘file corrupt’ message.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Tim

Yea ... a few, but you'll need to provide which NAS you have and what DLNA server its running.

If its miniDLNA, search the thread using that string and you will find some useful posts.
post #2580 of 3485
Thanks APW2607

I have a Iomega Home Media Drive....I;m really not sure what DLNA server it'd running - i think it might be UPnP AV Media Server ?

Tim
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread