or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread - Page 96

post #2851 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella86 View Post

I have a strange problem while playing the new Godzilla blu ray (mastered in 4K) on my Panasonic ST50.

The disc plays fine but every 5-10 seconds there is a pop up in the up left corner of the screen that says: 1080p/24hz Signal: X.V. Colour.

It is very annoying as usually something like this pops up only at first when loading the disc and then disappears, but this one pops up irregularly throughout the playback of the movie, it could be ever 3-5 sec and then nothing for a minute and then again, strangely it doesn't pop up during end credits.

It never happened on any of my other blu rays, only on this mastered in 4K blu ray (the only one I have). I have tried switching off deep color and 4K output but nothing helps. Would greatly appreciate any help or advice on how to stop this.

I have attached the pic of this, don't mind the Russian language.

Edit: I have played around with color settings, and switching from auto to RGB seems to help this problem, but as I understand RGB is lesser than YCbCr.

фотография.JPG 92k .JPG file

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

That overlay is a result of your tv and not the player. Try playing around with the HDMI ouput resolution setting ... Try 1080p. Try turning off 24p, and so on ...

Indeed.

I get the same pop-up on my Panasonic GT50 with 3D signals, when I'm in 2D mode.
post #2852 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post


Indeed.

I get the same pop-up on my Panasonic GT50 with 3D signals, when I'm in 2D mode.


It sounds as though there is a common issue with the Sony player playing their own 4k remastered discs as I cannot play my Total Recall 4k remaster on my Sony BDP-S790 through my Yamaha amp without the picture dropping out. It plays fine connected directly to my Samsung UA55D7000 led tv but not through the amp. Yet when I connect the Blu-ray players I have in the bedrooms, the Samsung BD-E5500 and my trusty Pioneer BDP-51FD to the amp it plays the disc perfectly fine.... can anyone else relate to this?
post #2853 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

It sounds as though there is a common issue with the Sony player playing their own 4k remastered discs as I cannot play my Total Recall 4k remaster on my Sony BDP-S790 through my Yamaha amp without the picture dropping out. It plays fine connected directly to my Samsung UA55D7000 led tv but not through the amp. Yet when I connect the Blu-ray players I have in the bedrooms, the Samsung BD-E5500 and my trusty Pioneer BDP-51FD to the amp it plays the disc perfectly fine.... can anyone else relate to this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post


Indeed.

I get the same pop-up on my Panasonic GT50 with 3D signals, when I'm in 2D mode.



Did you solve the issue? As I have said, the only thing that seems to help me is switching to RGB color mode, when it is usually on auto. I even tried switching HDMI cable for a new one, did not help at all.
post #2854 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

It sounds as though there is a common issue with the Sony player playing their own 4k remastered discs as I cannot play my Total Recall 4k remaster on my Sony BDP-S790 through my Yamaha amp without the picture dropping out. It plays fine connected directly to my Samsung UA55D7000 led tv but not through the amp. Yet when I connect the Blu-ray players I have in the bedrooms, the Samsung BD-E5500 and my trusty Pioneer BDP-51FD to the amp it plays the disc perfectly fine.... can anyone else relate to this?
For what im reading none of your TV's are 4k.
post #2855 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

For what im reading none of your TV's are 4k.
Which really shouldn't make a difference in troubleshooting.
While the Blu-ray titles may be mastered in 4K. They're still in 1080P on the disc.
post #2856 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

Which really shouldn't make a difference in troubleshooting.
While the Blu-ray titles may be mastered in 4K. They're still in 1080P on the disc.
For what im reading Josh,he trying to force it to play 4k,but it's only going to play 1080p.
post #2857 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

For what im reading Josh,he trying to force it to play 4k,but it's only going to play 1080p.

Is X.V. Colour option only available on 4K playback? I switched off the 4K playback in the options and the problem still remains. I have to repeat that the only way to make the sign stop popping up is to make the RGB color default. Bu then again, I am loosing the 4:2:0 color which is superior as far as I understand.
post #2858 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella86 View Post


Did you solve the issue? As I have said, the only thing that seems to help me is switching to RGB color mode, when it is usually on auto. I even tried switching HDMI cable for a new one, did not help at all.

I always explicitly set colour space option on my S790 to the one that looks the best on my specific display, rather than trust the player to choose for me.

I spent about a week doing this evaluation, before finally deciding that YCbCr4:4:4 looked the best on my display.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/773907/ycbcr-4-2-2-ycbcr-4-4-4-and-rgb-explained

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YCbCr

EDIT:
This link is the one I was keen to post, but couldn't find it at the time:
http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/portfolio/choosing-a-color-space-2/
Edited by Iain- - 8/22/13 at 9:19am
post #2859 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain- View Post

I always explicitly set colour space option on my S790 to the one that looks the best on my specific display, rather than trust the player to choose for me.

I spent about a week doing this evaluation, before finally deciding that YCbCr4:4:4 looked the best on my display.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/773907/ycbcr-4-2-2-ycbcr-4-4-4-and-rgb-explained

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YCbCr

I agree.
post #2860 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

For what im reading Josh,he trying to force it to play 4k,but it's only going to play 1080p.

Incorrect...My Sony player is set to 1080p which still doesn't make any difference to the picture dropping out! It states on the Total Recall mastered in 4k cover and I quote "*Expanded color requires xvYCC-compatible TV and Blu-ray player" which the TV and player both are. It also states at the bottom of the cover "Plays on all Blu-ray players, Playstation 3 and HDTVs".

I have been going through a series of troubleshooting processes with the Yamaha support to try to pinpoint the issue without much success. They tend believe it may be an incompatibility issue between the Sony and the Yamaha amp and I am inclined to agree with them.... I cannot praise the support and level of assistance I have received from Yamaha high enough as they have gone to great lengths to try to help resolve this issue! They were going to get hold of the same Sony 4k remastered discs and a Sony player to connect to their amps to see if they can figure out what's causing the picture dropouts. I have tried to get some help from Sony support but they have not responded to my emails which has been very disappointing...
post #2861 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chise View Post

For what im reading none of your TV's are 4k.

No they are not, but they don't need to be, it says on the cover of the 4k remasters "Plays on all Blu-ray player, Playstation 3 and HDTVs"
post #2862 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfella86 View Post


Did you solve the issue? As I have said, the only thing that seems to help me is switching to RGB color mode, when it is usually on auto. I even tried switching HDMI cable for a new one, did not help at all.

No I did not solve the issue, I had to do the same as you in switching the colour space to RGB from Auto or 4:2:2 but I am not comfortable with this setting as I believe the optimum setting should be 4:2:2
post #2863 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

Incorrect...My Sony player is set to 1080p which still doesn't make any difference to the picture dropping out! It states on the Total Recall mastered in 4k cover and I quote "*Expanded color requires xvYCC-compatible TV and Blu-ray player" which the TV and player both are. It also states at the bottom of the cover "Plays on all Blu-ray players, Playstation 3 and HDTVs".

I have been going through a series of troubleshooting processes with the Yamaha support to try to pinpoint the issue without much success. They tend believe it may be an incompatibility issue between the Sony and the Yamaha amp and I am inclined to agree with them.... I cannot praise the support and level of assistance I have received from Yamaha high enough as they have gone to great lengths to try to help resolve this issue! They were going to get hold of the same Sony 4k remastered discs and a Sony player to connect to their amps to see if they can figure out what's causing the picture dropouts. I have tried to get some help from Sony support but they have not responded to my emails which has been very disappointing...
When it come to Sony im not surprise.
post #2864 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

No they are not, but they don't need to be, it says on the cover of the 4k remasters "Plays on all Blu-ray player, Playstation 3 and HDTVs"
Then Question will it play 4k on none 4k tv.that why I said what is said the TV's he label where not 4k.
post #2865 of 3485
Yamaha does have good support. I have the RX-A2010. Which AVR do you have?

I'd call Sony. I have the number here somewhere...
post #2866 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW View Post

Yamaha does have good support. I have the RX-A2010. Which AVR do you have?

I'd call Sony. I have the number here somewhere...

I have the Yamaha RX-V773.... I've been doing a bit more research into the colour space settings on this and other forum sites and the differences between 4:2:2 / 4:4:4 / Auto and RGB and have come to understand that it depends on what your TV and player is trying to convert. I have set the Sony to RGB which automatically switches the xvYCC setting off on my Samsung UA55D7000 and now the 4k remaster of Total recall plays perfectly and I've got to say that it absolutely looks fantastic!
post #2867 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtorious View Post

...........

Don't you need a 4K display or projector to get the 4K upscaling? I wonder what is the quality of a 4K upscale picture?


For more info from Sony's website, see link below:

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...specifications


.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanpog View Post

Yes. U need a 4k display or projector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanpog View Post


To take advantage of the 4k that is. :-)

To reiterate from the first 3 posts of this thread. wink.gif
post #2868 of 3485
Can this player output DD when streaming movies from Amazon Prime.
post #2869 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Can this player output DD when streaming movies from Amazon Prime.
Yes
post #2870 of 3485
Keep in mind it was found to not be working correctly last week. Not sure if its fixed yet.
post #2871 of 3485
Still broken. Amazon still has not gotten back to me after their first response.

S~
post #2872 of 3485
I found a thread there and posted in it, seems a lot of people have noted it. I spoke to someone on another forum and his 590 is getting DD 5.1.

Odd...
post #2873 of 3485
odd yes, because when I first got my 790 back in the 1st quarter of this year I had DD w/ Amazon. then a few months down the road nothing but 2.0 pcm. and it's been that way ever since.mad.gif
post #2874 of 3485
They didnt change their requirements for speed because I get it on the Roku just fine.
post #2875 of 3485
Thanks guys because I can get a very good deal on one and was wandering if DD worked with Amazon Prime streaming.
post #2876 of 3485
Got the Sony S790 and tried Amazon Prime streaming with Avengers and no DD only stereo. eek.gif
post #2877 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Got the Sony S790 and tried Amazon Prime streaming with Avengers and no DD only stereo. eek.gif

Please bear in mind the Sony players were supporting DD bitstream output for 5.1 movies and tv shows but its currently broken on amazons end. Sure it will be fixed shortly.
post #2878 of 3485
I have a Synology DS213 and need streaming device to upscale a few movies in SD format. Can S790 do the job? I read some reviews stating it does not work well with Synology. Any users of both devices can you please chime in? Most of my movies are in mkv format and I 'm currently using Samsung C6900 with no upscaling feature.
post #2879 of 3485
Thanks to everyone for the info here. It helped me decide to return a Panasonic BDP500 today that was a plain awful player. It's badly designed, poorly implemented and user unfriendly.

So far the Sony S790 has been a pleasure. Lots of tweakable features that the more expensive Panny lacks, better media and better SD playback. It's a real joy.
I have no idea why reviewers dinked these for points and crowed about Panasonic's line.

I love the ability to output the original resolution. My TV has a fine upscaler, and I have a second analog video device connection that gets disabled for HD output. That solves the issue.
I love the remote. Seriously, I think my only complaint is not having audio for first level Fast Forward.
If that's the only thing I ever dislike about this player, it's going to be a beautiful friendship.

I've got a couple questions tough I hope you guys can help me with.

1) Can SRT subtitles on media have the font size changed? It's surprisingly small. I'm wondering if something like the screen size selection effects this (I haven't tested it, but I can't figure what else it does. Definitely an odd setting.).

2) Thanks to user Kisakuku I found out why some MKV files can be FF/REW and others can't (cue_duration and cue_relative_position need to be disabled). Since the offending features are a new and default part of MKVMerge, the most popular muxing software, does anyone know if Sony will move to support it? I'm hoping I won't need to remux often or need to intentionally disable this every time something is going to the Sony.

3) Can this play BD5/BD9 discs? I understood Sony was a big champion for the format, but my test failed... but I think it's because I have no idea what I'm doing. Does anyone know a guide that tells you how to properly burn one of these?

4) Is it possible to jump to a specific time point in a movie by entering the time code? My previous DVD player could and it was a great option.

5) I have the output set for 'original resolution'. DVDs that are film based are reported as 480p. No frame rate is given. I would have thought if it is progressive scanning the disc it should read 480p24, but there doesn't seem to be frame rate info for SD content. Anyone know what is being passed?

6) Should I have more questions? Why does everything seem so simple and just work on these things? Any default settings, processing stuff that should be changed? I knew enough to disable the DRC.
post #2880 of 3485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

No I did not solve the issue, I had to do the same as you in switching the colour space to RGB from Auto or 4:2:2 but I am not comfortable with this setting as I believe the optimum setting should be 4:2:2

So, this is the only solution so far? I am sure there must be another way.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Players
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Players › Official 2012 Sony BDP-S790 Thread