or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'American Idol' Season 11 on FOX HD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'American Idol' Season 11 on FOX HD - Page 11

post #301 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

Just because she can sing the notes (mostly) does not mean that she is slaying them...

For example, this is "slaying" a song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXHWyuNDu2w

This is "NOT slaying" a song and hanging on for a dear life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul4vOI6gTJ4

If you do not notice the difference between the two examples above, there is not much I can tell ya.

Wait, it's almost as if people can have different taste. Remarkable, I know, right?! One version doesn't have to be horrible for the other to be great. No one is saying Hollie is Christina, but then again let's not pretend Christina can't stink up the joint. Her recent performance at Etta James' funeral showed she isnt perfect (as did a certain rendition of the star spangled banner).

Hollie is taking on the artists that judges warn singers against, and she's slaying the songs. An example of doing it and not slaying it - the tall girl.
post #302 of 969
Yeah there's not many women on the planet, not just American Idol that are as good as Christina, but that doesn't mean that they are just "holding on for dear life".

I thought Hollies version was great.
post #303 of 969
Love the addition of the weekly report card by Jimmy. He's always spot-on with his appraisals. I'm not saying the wrong person went home this week, but the wrong 3 people were definitely in the bottom 3...well two of them. Heejun stinks. That little girl vote is rearing its ugly head again. But someone needs to tell Elise that if she keeps making the stink-face every time something doesnt go her way, she's gonna be gone real fast. America doesn't abide the stink-face.

It was fun listening to the tall girl sing for her life and hear her voice crack more than it did last week. The girl's a trainwreck. Hollie takes on big songs and slays them. This tall girl is what happens when a big song slays the singer.
post #304 of 969
Yeah they need to replace Steven Tyler with Jimmy so they at least have 1 actual judge that seems to actually know what is going on and is coherent and has some credibility.
post #305 of 969
As Iovine said on the show, this is not t-ball. You don't get a trophy and oranges for just singing (somewhat) in tune. Hollie has a long way to go before she becomes a legit singer.
post #306 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

As Iovine said on the show, this is not t-ball. You don't get a trophy and oranges for just singing (somewhat) in tune. Hollie has a long way to go before she becomes a legit singer.

Uh huh. Jimmy loved Hollie. Basically agreed with everything I've said.
post #307 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Yeah they need to replace Steven Tyler with Jimmy so they at least have 1 actual judge that seems to actually know what is going on and is coherent and has some credibility.

+1

Ya' think Nigel and Ken checked Tyler's background before making him a judge?...Just sayin!
post #308 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3trojan View Post

+1

Ya' think Nigel and Ken checked Tyler's background before making him a judge?...Just sayin!

I've noticed a slight change in Steven. He still says, "That was beautiful!" a lot, but he also points out when he doesn't like something. I loved that he told Colton the White Lion song was a stupid choice. Because it was a stupid choice.
post #309 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Uh huh. Jimmy loved Hollie. Basically agreed with everything I've said.

He is grading on a curve. What is he going to do? Say everyone sucked?

Compare his praise for Hollie versus the praise he gave to Elise. Jimmy gives detailed reasons why Elise was great. Jimmy just says "Hollie was GREAT!".

I don't have to grade on a curve...
post #310 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy View Post

He is grading on a curve. What is he going to do? Say everyone sucked?

Compare his praise for Hollie versus the praise he gave to Elise. Jimmy gives detailed reasons why Elise was great. Jimmy just says "Hollie was GREAT!".

I don't have to grade on a curve...

When someone's as awesome as Hollie is, you don't need to sit there and list the reasons. She's going to get all the votes. With Elise, who is far from great but still very good, the show needs to pimp her to help her get votes and stay on the show.

LOL at you trying to dismiss the best singer the show has. Hahaha.
post #311 of 969
"the best singer" in the show will never have an (full solo) album that makes the Billboard 100. You can take that to the bank.
post #312 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Hollie is taking on the artists that judges warn singers against, and she's slaying the songs. An example of doing it and not slaying it - the tall girl.

So your basis of comparison is Holly versus a trainwreck. Ok.
post #313 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

So your basis of comparison is Holly versus a trainwreck. Ok.

Name another girl that's chosen a huge song by a huge artist each week so far. It's Hollie and Shannon. Hollie has slayed songs by Christina, Celine, and Whitney. All 3 of whom Idol contestants are told to avoid if they want to remain on the show. Shannon found out why, while Hollie defied expectations. Maybe she'll fall on her face when she attempts a song that isn't a ballad, but up until this point she's been the bravest and best of the bunch.
post #314 of 969
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Name another girl that's chosen a huge song by a huge artist each week so far. It's Hollie and Shannon. Hollie has slayed songs by Christina, Celine, and Whitney. All 3 of whom Idol contestants are told to avoid if they want to remain on the show. Shannon found out why, while Hollie defied expectations. Maybe she'll fall on her face when she attempts a song that isn't a ballad, but up until this point she's been the bravest and best of the bunch.

I have to agree .. Hollie has shown extreme bravery on selection and it's worked .. there is a reason many avoid these type songs ..
post #315 of 969
So with all the declines in ratings, and then an increase here and there, etc. does anyone know the net sum of the Idol numbers so far? How much has it declined?
post #316 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Name another girl that's chosen a huge song by a huge artist each week so far. It's Hollie and Shannon. Hollie has slayed songs by Christina, Celine, and Whitney. All 3 of whom Idol contestants are told to avoid if they want to remain on the show. Shannon found out why, while Hollie defied expectations. Maybe she'll fall on her face when she attempts a song that isn't a ballad, but up until this point she's been the bravest and best of the bunch.

I'm not restricting myself to this year's mediocre bunch. Any singer with high aspirations who goes on this show should expect to be compared to previous contestants and the so-called "great" singers. Last year Pia Toscano competently performed the "big" songs, including Whitney and Celine songs, until her elimination in the top 9 week.
post #317 of 969
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

I'm not restricting myself to this year's mediocre bunch. Any singer with high aspirations who goes on this show should expect to be compared to previous contestants and the so-called "great" singers. Last year Pia Toscano competently performed the "big" songs, including Whitney and Celine songs, until her elimination in the top 9 week.

Unfortunately, Pia is not competing ..
post #318 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

So with all the declines in ratings, and then an increase here and there, etc. does anyone know the net sum of the Idol numbers so far? How much has it declined?

tvbythenumbers hasn't provided the year-to-year decline lately, so I would guess that the year to year decline has settled in to around 35%.
post #319 of 969
Hollie's been every bit as good as Pia was. And aping the big singers isn't necessarily a guarantee of success, as Pia can attest to both by getting kicked off the show early and having an album that bombs. Although the only reason she left Idol early is due to the voters preferring Alfred E Newman.
post #320 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

Hollie's been every bit as good as Pia was. And aping the big singers isn't necessarily a guarantee of success, as Pia can attest to both by getting kicked off the show early and having an album that bombs. Although the only reason she left Idol early is due to the voters preferring Alfred E Newman.

And the other seven singers who received more votes than her.

And since you have a time machine, because you know that Pia's album bombed despite the fact that it hasn't even been released yet, perhaps you can tell us how Hollie's future album is going to do.
post #321 of 969
I think Pia received the fewest votes not because of her singing, but because of her on air personality. She definitely came across as very cold, aloof, and rather disingenuous. More like a pageant contestant than a singer. We all thought she was rather unlikeable, but a decent singer.
post #322 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

And the other seven singers who received more votes than her.

And since you have a time machine, because you know that Pia's album bombed despite the fact that it hasn't even been released yet, perhaps you can tell us how Hollie's future album is going to do.

I meant her single, which was supposed to be a hit, which then lead to the full album, which still hasnt happened since the single failed to do much of anything. Doesn't mean she's bad. Just means that being a great singer like her and Hollie isn't a guarantee that you'll be a success.

Getting a huge laugh over here over people trying to say that Hollie is somehow a bad singer. You armchair vocalists are much more knowledgeable than Mary J, Jimmy, and Will.I.Am. Let me know when your show airs. I'll tune in.
post #323 of 969
Why so much talk about the ladies when Joshua is head and shoulders above anyone else in this contest?
post #324 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

Why so much talk about the ladies when Joshua is head and shoulders above anyone else in this contest?

He's good, no doubt. Too churchy for my taste though, but I can't deny his skills. Although he's a combination of qualities that doesn't typically do well - black, churchy, and gay (or it's just an affectation). On this show now you need to ask yourself how you'd vote if you were a pre-pubescent girl, and my guess is that Joshua isn't all that high on their list.
post #325 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_O View Post

Why so much talk about the ladies when Joshua is head and shoulders above anyone else in this contest?

Well, I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about other seasons of American Idol, but isn't he a lot like Jacob Lusk from last season?
post #326 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyehill View Post

I meant her single, which was supposed to be a hit, which then lead to the full album, which still hasnt happened since the single failed to do much of anything. Doesn't mean she's bad. Just means that being a great singer like her and Hollie isn't a guarantee that you'll be a success.

Getting a huge laugh over here over people trying to say that Hollie is somehow a bad singer. You armchair vocalists are much more knowledgeable than Mary J, Jimmy, and Will.I.Am. Let me know when your show airs. I'll tune in.

Who said that Hollie is a bad singer?
post #327 of 969
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod M View Post

Well, I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about other seasons of American Idol, but isn't he a lot like Jacob Lusk from last season?

I had forgotten all about Lusk .. and yes, there is a similarity
post #328 of 969
I enjoy listening to Joshua much more than Lusk. Lusk was just too over the top for my tastes. Joshua killed it this week.
post #329 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I had forgotten all about Lusk .. and yes, there is a similarity

Lots of similarities. But Joshua so far hasn't employed the vocal gymnastics that Lusk was prone to do. They're very similar on the surface though. And the judges reactions to them both are very similar. Remember all the standing Os that Lusk got? Jimmy proved to be wiser than them all when he advised Jacob to just sing the songs well and leave the garbage out of it.
post #330 of 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post

Yeah they need to replace Steven Tyler with Jimmy so they at least have 1 actual judge that seems to actually know what is going on and is coherent and has some credibility.

the problem with Jimmy is he's unlikeable, and not in an entertaining way. that's probably why they keep him off stage.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: HDTV Programming
AVS › AVS Forum › HDTV › HDTV Programming › 'American Idol' Season 11 on FOX HD