What's wrong with the show-
1. Lack of true singing talent. Seems worse every year (as could be expected).
2. Lack of judging, replaced in recent years by cheerleading. Evidently the cheerleading has been needed to convince some in the audience that great singing is taking place. Hard to believe, but this seems to work. They might need to bring Randy back so he can deliver his annual "best group of singers we've ever had" pronouncement.
3. If you aren't a white guy, you aren't going to win due to voting system. Why would a truly talented singer who isn't a white guy want to go on Idol instead of one of the others, where it has been shown that another race/gender can win?
4. Lack of proper compensation for the finalists. "Exposure" compensation meaning that they must rely on successful music career to make any money for their efforts. Good luck in this music climate. Most of the last several WINNERS have had mixed results, and those singers who don't win have a tough road ahead. This isn't 2004 when William Hung! could sell 194,000 copies of a throwaway album. Why would a truly talented singer want to try out for a show that offers so little in guaranteed money?
5. Dragging out several of the Wednesday shows to fill the 2 hours slot. Fashion tips? Horrible group sings? Guest singers on a night that is supposed to highlight the Idol talent?
6. Advancing weak singers because of their name. This is becoming an Idol tradition, and is obviously something that is part of the marketing plan to boost early episode interest. But watch out, Idol-X Factor might be stealing this angle, with reports indicating they have already auditioned a Ray Charles grandson and Gene Simmons' daughter.