or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › 2012 Olympics in 3D from NBC & Panasonic
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 Olympics in 3D from NBC & Panasonic - Page 5

post #121 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney538 View Post

Farad, are they broadcasting it in Side-by-Side format or Top/bottom? Thanks.

The free 3d on channel 1000 with my 8300 is top/bottom.
post #122 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney538 View Post

Mine still isn't working despite them fixing my account and re-adding channel 484. I talked to a Supervisor yesterday 4 times (he actually called me back twice). He still doesn't have a definitive answer but one group of his technicians thinks it is the box. He is waiting to hear back from a couple of more groups. I told him why can't his technicians just try the 8300 box to see if they get the same problem as me and if they do, swap it for a newer box to see if that fixes the problem....this is basic troubleshooting, not rocket science. I told him to call me today with an update. He then gave me the phone number of the department that specializes in 3D. The number is 877-671-4206. This is really the Cablecard tech support group. Someone answered fairly quickly and he suggested that it might be the box. He is guessing that the 3D Olympics might be using the same technology that ESPN 3D is using (possibly MPEG 4) and therefore a new box is required. I told him that I didn't want to give me old box up yet and he said that I can get the newer box and keep the old box for now. Then I can return one when I was finished. He made a note on my account so when I go to the TWC store there won't be any problem. I asked him if I can transfer the shows from the old box to the new one. He said that he had heard that it can be done by activating the eSata port. He said to call support and ask for Tier 3. I am skeptical about this since I have heard that either this is not possible or they don't want people doing this.
I would like others to call the above number to see if they can get a definitive answer on both the box issue and on transferring the shows to the new DVR.

I called the number you listed and was on hold while posting here and they never picked up. I'm sick of TWC .

Yes the transfer can be done via the eSATA port and yes you have to call to gget it activated.

It also can be done via a USB port to your computers hard drive in addition to having the right software and moved back to new cable box. I do believe the 8300 has a USB port.

Here's a link that explains it. Or you can search the web on how to transfer files from cablebox to PC or transfer via eSATA.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7200531_transfer-dvr-external-hard-drive.html
post #123 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

I think you have the wrong glasses if it's upside down.

Nope... the rest of the broadcast is OK, just Costas is reversed.
post #124 of 166
Try going into your 3D settings on your tv and switch how the image is displayed (left-right or right-left). All 3D tvs should give an option for that in their menu somewhere - take a look, that's usually what causes reversed 3D.
post #125 of 166
Been watching a little of the 3d content on channel 1300 here in th CT area for Cox Cable. Pretty good. It is definitley reduced resolution. I have watched few movies in 3d on demand and they were better.

It is a raw feed. The camera angles are not prime for they always have background items in them (other cameras, people being interviewed by other networks, all the pauses between rounds (no fill or stories)

A few commercials that they run over and over.

But - it is 3d!
post #126 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Try going into your 3D settings on your tv and switch how the image is displayed (left-right or right-left). All 3D tvs should give an option for that in their menu somewhere - take a look, that's usually what causes reversed 3D.

He was joking, as for me he reminds of this chipmunk weasel type of character. With a chainsaw mouth that keeps running without any type of petrol...
post #127 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

I called the number you listed and was on hold while posting here and they never picked up. I'm sick of TWC .
Yes the transfer can be done via the eSATA port and yes you have to call to gget it activated.
It also can be done via a USB port to your computers hard drive in addition to having the right software and moved back to new cable box. I do believe the 8300 has a USB port.
Here's a link that explains it. Or you can search the web on how to transfer files from cablebox to PC or transfer via eSATA.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7200531_transfer-dvr-external-hard-drive.html

From everything I have read, the eSata drive gets paired with the original DVR box. Even if it is possible to copy your current programs to the eSata Drive, once you attach that eSata drive to new DVR box, it will automatically format and you will lose all of your programs.

I think there is a USB port on the 8300 but I don't think that it is activated/usable. If it is possible to use it, I could copy the programs to a computer and then to an external hard drive as that link describes but will I be able to attach that hard drive to the new DVR box and be able to watch the shows.....I don't think so since the DVR boxes use a proprietary format? What I really want to do is copy the programs directly to the new DVR box and be able to play the programs there. I don't think that is possible from everything that I read.

My other option is to just attach my 8300 to a standalone DVD recorder. The problem is that you have to watch each program as you are recording it and HD programs won't be in HD.

Let me know how your new box works out....Thanks and Good Luck!
post #128 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmin View Post

Nope... the rest of the broadcast is OK, just Costas is reversed.
Yeah I've noticed that too, the intro with Costas is apparently left-right swapped, but the actual 3D olympics video coverage is correct, normal.
I confirmed this on my Panasonic 50ST50 3D TV by switching the 3D settings to swapped during the Costas intro portion and then it looked correct.
Then I put the 3D settings back to normal afterwards and the 3D olympics coverage was correct.
Maybe somebody screwed up the configuration of the 3D camera used with Costas intro at the studio?
post #129 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

The free 3d on channel 1000 with my 8300 is top/bottom.
Yes thats the way the 3D on-demand channel 1000 titles are on my TWC system as well, they use 720p over/under (top/bottom) with MPG2 compression for those 3D titles and that works even on old boxes like the SA8300HD.
However on my TWC the 3D olympics channel uses a different format, side-by-side 1080i and reportedly MPG4 compression, that format only works with newer boxes like my newer model Cisco 8642 HD-DVR that I swapped my old SA8300HD for a couple months ago.
post #130 of 166
I wish they would stop it with the Lorax pop-over commercial that covers up a lot of the screen during the 3D Olympics coverage.
I don't mind the full screen commercial breaks, but the pop-over often covers up completely banner information on an event!
post #131 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney538 View Post

From everything I have read, the eSata drive gets paired with the original DVR box. Even if it is possible to copy your current programs to the eSata Drive, once you attach that eSata drive to new DVR box, it will automatically format and you will lose all of your programs.

Are you sure ?

I think only the new DVR box gets formatted and I believe you have a option to say no to the format and then continue
with the transfer.

Maybe I'm wrong who knows.

Had a lot of work today and couldn't make it to TWC to get the new DVR Box but informed my Boss today that I'm leaving early tomorrow .
post #132 of 166
Last weekTWC in San Diego activated three new channels, 800, 801 and 890.
800 is all soccer broadcasts and I am watching a lot of those , 890 is the 3D Olympics channel and I have recorded many broadcasts on the Tivo Priemiere which is Mpeg 4 compatible and does a pristine job recording these. The 3D is all SBS.

With the Tivo I have not experienced any of the problems reported here by users of other cable providers and their STB's.
The TIVO feeds a DVDO iScan Duo VP and outputs to an Epson 3010 3D PJ via a Monoprice 25 foot hi speed HDMI cable. Duo is 3D pass thru and does not manipulate the 3D signal in any way.
I have accumulates a lot of 3D broadcasts, the 1.5 TB Tivo is at 65% of capacity right now

The 3010 illuminates a 100 inch screen and the result is quite acceptable. The 3D is marred by the frequent crawlers and frequent ads so the Tivo FFWD button gets a workout and the 3D has no popouts and only the score announcements float in front of the screen. So the 3D is no match for my better 3D bluray movies but it's free and srill somewhat better than the 2D HD equivalent.

The chief problem is that NBC packages multiple venues, usually at least 6 per broadcast so we waste recording space for venues we don't care for.
While Tivo support has published some workarounds they are cumbersome to implement.

So I will watch the venues I want forwarding the Tivo in 15 minute increments and delete when I run out of space.
post #133 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney538 View Post

Farad, are they broadcasting it in Side-by-Side format or Top/bottom? Thanks.

its in sbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenPet View Post

It is a raw feed. The camera angles are not prime for they always have background items in them (other cameras, people being interviewed by other networks, all the pauses between rounds (no fill or stories)

I love it that way

edit: thanks for the bit about the 10hr blocks and the 8300
post #134 of 166
I thought that the canoe event was one of the best things in 3D. I had no clue where the gates were in relation to the athletes until I watched it in 3D the next day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARAD View Post

It started recording so far so good, lol. wow it would rock if I could actually get a whole days worth of coverage.

Yesterdays canoeing will be living on my dvr for quite sum time.

I was able to record the other day on my DVR but today no luck.... says it's full when its at 32% lol.

They are playing the kayak/canoe right now and it does have a cool perspective shot that looks cool. +1 for canoe lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
post #135 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbsidlov View Post

I thought that the canoe event was one of the best things in 3D. I had no clue where the gates were in relation to the athletes until I watched it in 3D the next day.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I agree 100%, especially about seeing the location of the gates.

I started watching the white water events mainly for the 3D, but got so interested in the actual races I stayed up past my bedtime.

As popular as kayaking/canoeing is in the United States, I'm surprised that the Americans are doing so poorly.
post #136 of 166
I've been watching the 3D coverage off and on. TWC's PQ is quite good - 3D is a a bit softer and dimmer than HD, but that is to be expected. Not surprisingly, gymnastics is even more impressive in 3D than 2D. I plan to keep some on my DVR to demo. I hope we get some beach or indoor volleyball in 3D - that would be awesome.

I have two complaints. First, all 3D content is on a 24-hour delay so I've already seen the stuff worth watching in prime time the evening before. Second, why can't this coverage be paired with the same American commentary we get during prime time? In particular, the commentary for the 3D gymnastics and swimming coverage is worthless.
post #137 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

Are you sure ?
I think only the new DVR box gets formatted and I believe you have a option to say no to the format and then continue
with the transfer.
Maybe I'm wrong who knows.
Had a lot of work today and couldn't make it to TWC to get the new DVR Box but informed my Boss today that I'm leaving early tomorrow .

Let me know if it works. Once you get the new box you may have to call them and have them remove and re-add the 3DTV channel, and then Refresh it.

Thanks
post #138 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirak View Post

I've been watching the 3D coverage off and on. TWC's PQ is quite good - 3D is a a bit softer and dimmer than HD, but that is to be expected. Not surprisingly, gymnastics is even more impressive in 3D than 2D. I plan to keep some on my DVR to demo. I hope we get some beach or indoor volleyball in 3D - that would be awesome.
I have two complaints. First, all 3D content is on a 24-hour delay so I've already seen the stuff worth watching in prime time the evening before. Second, why can't this coverage be paired with the same American commentary we get during prime time? In particular, the commentary for the 3D gymnastics and swimming coverage is worthless.

I guess it really depends on the TV, my VT25 does the 3D pretty good picture is bright with good color pop. I prefer the Britt announcer and Scottish over our N. American jabberwocky's. The earlier tape delays had no commentary's so it was a little hard to be in the know of the other athletes history. One poster said his picture was so bad it was unwatchable I think he has an LCD so that could be a big factor.
post #139 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimo View Post

I guess it really depends on the TV, my VT25 does the 3D pretty good picture is bright with good color pop.

I wonder if you have your panel calibrated to enhance brightness in 3D? All settings being the same, the 3D is going to appear a bit darker because you are viewing it through active shutter glasses. And there's always going to be a little cross talk with 3D viewing - that's the softness I'm referring to.
post #140 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney538 View Post

Let me know if it works. Once you get the new box you may have to call them and have them remove and re-add the 3DTV channel, and then Refresh it.
Thanks

Well the dirtbag's at TWC won't give me the newer box unless I bring in the old box even tho I told them over the phone I wanted to keep it until I watched my shows on the old box. I was never told I couldn't do this over the phone during all my calls to TWC.

So I said OK just give me the new box and bill me for 2 boxes until I return it.

NOPE ! They said if I wanted a second box a tech would have to come out and install it. I said no tech is needed but they insisted. So I said if I returned the old box and get the new box no tech is required and he said yes.

I told him that doesn't make sense !



So I told him I wanted to cancel my service and I was serious until I reliazed I would lose all my shows. When you cancel with TWC they cancel it right away even if your billing date isn't up. Dirtbags !



I'll watch my shows and will cancel service when my billing date arrives.

PS: If anyone has a higher up email or postal address please let me know so I can report their insane procedure of not being able to walk in and get a 2nd box even when you are willing to pay for both. So I can let them know they lost another customer but I have a feeling they don't care.
post #141 of 166
Sorry ..please delete
post #142 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

Well the dirtbag's at TWC won't give me the newer box unless I bring in the old box even tho I told them over the phone I wanted to keep it until I watched my shows on the old box. I was never told I couldn't do this over the phone during all my calls to TWC.
So I said OK just give me the new box and bill me for 2 boxes until I return it.
NOPE ! They said if I wanted a second box a tech would have to come out and install it. I said no tech is needed but they insisted. So I said if I returned the old box and get the new box no tech is required and he said yes.
I told him that doesn't make sense !
So I told him I wanted to cancel my service and I was serious until I reliazed I would lose all my shows. When you cancel with TWC they cancel it right away even if your billing date isn't up. Dirtbags !
I'll watch my shows and will cancel service when my billing date arrives.
PS: If anyone has a higher up email or postal address please let me know so I can report their insane procedure of not being able to walk in and get a 2nd box even when you are willing to pay for both. So I can let them know they lost another customer but I have a feeling they don't care.


Deep breath.

I know TWC can be a PITA, but you eventually realize that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I have a summer rental that I only get basic, no-box cable for. I do it every year, and they always wanted to require that someone be there in the spring when I turn it back on. Their reasoning was that they only do seasonal suspension with digital, not basic cable. Finally after fighting with them year after year, they now allow seasonal suspension on basic cable.
post #143 of 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post

Well the dirtbag's at TWC won't give me the newer box unless I bring in the old box even tho I told them over the phone I wanted to keep it until I watched my shows on the old box. I was never told I couldn't do this over the phone during all my calls to TWC.
So I said OK just give me the new box and bill me for 2 boxes until I return it.
NOPE ! They said if I wanted a second box a tech would have to come out and install it. I said no tech is needed but they insisted. So I said if I returned the old box and get the new box no tech is required and he said yes.
I told him that doesn't make sense !
So I told him I wanted to cancel my service and I was serious until I reliazed I would lose all my shows. When you cancel with TWC they cancel it right away even if your billing date isn't up. Dirtbags !
I'll watch my shows and will cancel service when my billing date arrives.
PS: If anyone has a higher up email or postal address please let me know so I can report their insane procedure of not being able to walk in and get a 2nd box even when you are willing to pay for both. So I can let them know they lost another customer but I have a feeling they don't care.

Sorry to hear you can't them off their asses, you might get better responses through dslreports. I think TWC has a dedicated thread for troubleshooting but it sounds like your done with them.
post #144 of 166
After hitting the overseas sites in the beginning to get the live feeds, I decided yesterday to just watch the 3D coverage. The commentary's for 3D for me is a breath of fresh air compared to our chatty americans. At least the brit's let you watch the events without bombarding you with a bunch useless talk. Can't stand that little chipmunk weasel Costas he can't shut up! As of yesterday they pulled the plug here at 2:30pm. Seems like they won't cover the extra two hrs anymore looking at the guide's weekly schedule.mad.gif
post #145 of 166
Don't know whats going on with mine. I have directv and a mits 73" and have been watching 3D on it through the directv for 2+ years with no problem. Last Saterday I wen't to check out the Olympic 3D feed and I get a message saying my tv doesn't support the format they are broadcasting in? Then I try the other 3D channels and they say the same thing?? Did Directv change the format they are broadcasting 3D in? Anyone else watching with my setup? I googled but couldn't find anything.
post #146 of 166
For some reason I can't get CapDVHS to record the 3D but VLC records it just fine 1:1. I hope they replay the opening cerimonies I really would like to get that on my HDD.

Ah CapDVHS does record there just isn't any data info.smile.gif
Edited by Nimo - 8/4/12 at 9:04am
post #147 of 166
Damn... track & field look really good in 3D, especially the girls!biggrin.gif I'll post some caps later today, Xylon style. Using DCX 3200 via firewire CapDVDHS and W7 on 32bit.
post #148 of 166
Hold your powerbutton in on your Mits till the power light blinks, wait for it to stop, then turn on tv and you should be fine... I have to do this with mine for DIRECTV 3D & my PS3 sometimes.
post #149 of 166
Loving this 3D Olympics channel. The pop-over ad of a certain fuzzy movie critter is driving me nuts, and the announcers are terrible, but most of the events look awesome.

I missed the first few days haggling with Comcast over whether a Ceton tuner was a supported device for 3D. Learned of the beauty of using the live chat customer service. Not because they got it right (they didn't), but because it created a paper trail of where they were wrong. Finally opened a ticket with Ceton, and within a day, a Comcast rep was calling to apologize. If the manufacturer hadn't intervened, I would be missing out...which is nuts.

I'd agree with all the other posters about the canoeing. I plan on keeping that to use as a demo for friends and family in the future.
post #150 of 166
I finally got the 3D working by getting a new box. I called TWC 3D phone number (877-671-4206) again and was told that I definitely needed a new box. I told her that I read that 2 people who were using an 8300 were able to get 3D and she acted like that was not possible (I think Farad and Upstate are using the 8300). Maybe it is because they are in PA and upstate NY??? I then went to the store and got a 8642 DVR box (I had an 8300). The salesman who was a supervisor said that they only have 8300 boxes. I told him that I needed one of the newer ones to get 3D and he said that starting in 2007 the 8300's use a different technology so the 3D should work on it. He didn't seem 100% sure though and I showed him the 3D requirements from the TWC website that I had printed out. He looked through all of the notes that the phone supervisor wrote and decided to look for a different model. He came back with a Whole House receiver (without a DVR) and after me telling him again that I needed a DVR, he spent another 10 minutes going through several cabinets with another worker before finally finding a 8642. By the way, I still have the 8300 since I want to finish watching those shows before I return it so right now I am paying for 2 boxes and 2 DVR services ($12.99 each).

Blue Rain, if you haven't given up already, it would help if you call TWC (the people at the 3D number know a lot more that the general people) or if you call the regular number, talk to a supervisor. Tell them your frustrations and hopefully they know that the 3D Olympics requires a newer box (The supervisor that I talked to is giving me 6 months of free DVR service which amounts to about $80). Tell them to make a note that on your account so that when you go to the store they will hopefully give you less problems. I would then go back to the store again and they will have access to the notes that the phone supervisor wrote. Once again, tell them that you want a newer DVR and you need it to watch the Olympics (bring a printout like I did). If they still won't help, get a supervisor involved. Supervisor's seem more caring and are more likely to not want to lose a customer.

By the way, I have both boxes next to each other and the remotes will control both boxes which caused problems for me until I realized what was happening. You could end up deleting shows when you don't want to. I cover up the display on the unit that I wasn't using at the time with a pamphlet. Also, you can unplug the cable wire from the old box and plug it into the new box but make sure that you leave the old box powered on so that you can watch your old shows. If you power it off for more than a few minutes you will get a "No String" message and you will have to temporarily plug the cable wire back into the old box for a few minutes to get a List of your recorded shows. The other option is to use a splitter.

As far as the 3D, I only got to see the swimming. The camera placement was interesting since it is on the side of the pool near the swimmers which gives a lot of depth when you see all of the swimmers lined up. The 2D broadcast has an overhead 3/4 view. Of course there are other 3d cameras around and in the pool. I recorded some more events Saturday and all day Sunday and the DVR is about 15% filled already so by the time the Olympics are over I will probably be at 100% full. I haven't seen the canoeing yet so I can't comment on that.

Farad and Upstate, I am curious how old your boxes are?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: 3D Content
AVS › AVS Forum › 3D Central › 3D Content › 2012 Olympics in 3D from NBC & Panasonic