or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › 2012 Samsung Plasma lineup....where is the discussion?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 Samsung Plasma lineup....where is the discussion?

post #1 of 47
Thread Starter 
So here we have a whole discussion about Panasonic and it's plasma break through.
Where is the Samsung details from CES???

I'd love to see how they technically compare to the Panasonic, especially when they were neck and neck in 2011, and even better in the lower end of market comparing the D6500 vs ST30.
What made them better? Is their technology as good or better than Panasonic?
Will they maintain this lead/position in 2012?
post #2 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

So here we have a whole discussion about Panasonic and it's plasma break through.
Where is the Samsung details from CES???

I'd love to see how they technically compare to the Panasonic, especially when they were neck and neck in 2011, and even better in the lower end of market comparing the D6500 vs ST30.
What maked them better? Is their technology as good or better than Panasonic?
Will they maintain this lead/position in 2012?

they don't test the TV's at CES 2012 so you have to wait.

you will waste your time if you try to draw any conclusions at this time.

come back on to AVS in a few months and then you will have the data needed.
post #3 of 47
Hi,

There seems to be very little info at the moment which is very odd. From what I have seen, the 2012 models shown so far seem almost identical to the 2011 ones!

Bazzy!
post #4 of 47
I wonder if they will add frame interpolation to 2012 models.
post #5 of 47
2012 looks almost identical to the 2011 series except for cabinet color and supposedly 10% blacker blacks
post #6 of 47
Any mention of fluctuating brightness being fixed?
post #7 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertw11 View Post

Any mention of fluctuating brightness being fixed?

Yes that is mentioned in the CNET report:
CNET Samsung Plasma 2012 CES

"A company rep here at CES also told us that the "brightness pops," an issue we noted with some types of content when watching the 2011 models, had been addressed by a new firmware update for the 2011 PND8000 (we'll test that when we get a chance). He said that the 2012 models would also include the "fix," so the pops wouldn't be a problem. He wasn't sure yet if the TVs still suffered from worse black levels while in 1080p/24-compatible Cinema Smooth mode, however."
post #8 of 47
I was talking to the district manager of an audio video store here and he said he talks to the Panasonic Dist. Mgr. all the time and he told him that most of the 2012 TV's (all brands) will be cosmetic changes mostly, very llittle upgrades. Just stating what he told me.
post #9 of 47
Have they fixed the god-forsaken buzzing?
post #10 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

"He said that the 2012 models would also include the "fix," so the pops wouldn't be a problem.

Meaningless, considering last year a rep at CES claimed the rising black levels with cinema smooth engaged was fixed for the 2011 models. And ironically from this same story comes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post

"He wasn't sure yet if the TVs still suffered from worse black levels while in 1080p/24-compatible Cinema Smooth mode, however."

So the problem from the 2010 panels which they promised was fixed in 2011 probably still isn't fixed, but we should trust them when they say the new problem for 2011 is totally fixed for 2012 models?
post #11 of 47
Thread Starter 
Is it just me or is Samsung not publishing any technical details like Panasonic does like the following:

1. Neo Plasma
2. Infinite Black Panel Pro
3. 2500 focussed field drive
4. Extended life panels (100,000 hr)
etc...

Does it mean that only Panasonic has this technology lead and Samsung does not? Or Samsung just does not want to "waste" time and effort in such marketing campaigns?
post #12 of 47
Samsung does what they need to do in order to be competitive. That's not to say they make poor plasmas, they just don't have as much riding on plasma technology as Panasonic does. Anyway, with the advent of OLED, they are putting the majority of their eggs in that basket. OLED is the future, they know this. In the meantime, they will make only small updates to their LCD and plasma technology until OLED becomes viable (financially speaking) to the mass market.
post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalyst6 View Post

2012 looks almost identical to the 2011 series except for cabinet color and supposedly 10% blacker blacks

A 10% reduction in blacks would be going from .008fL to 0072fL. Color me unexcited.
post #14 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 View Post

Samsung does what they need to do in order to be competitive. That's not to say they make poor plasmas, they just don't have as much riding on plasma technology as Panasonic does. Anyway, with the advent of OLED, they are putting the majority of their eggs in that basket. OLED is the future, they know this. In the meantime, they will make only small updates to their LCD and plasma technology until OLED becomes viable (financially speaking) to the mass market.

Understood. I think as of 2011, they have a fantastic panel that can be the basis of all future plasma rollouts from Samsung.

Visually, I think my Samsung 2011 Plasma Panel is very good and can stack up as close if not equal to anything in the non-exotic market. But does it have all the bells and whistle? As of now, I think with a TV, seeing is believing. Who really cares about specs? But with Panasonic throwing out so many "feature" jargons in 2011, and some few more in 2012, it makes me wonder, especially the 100,000 hr life. Does the 2011+ Samsung plasma have long life?
post #15 of 47
Quote:


A 10% reduction in blacks would be going from .008fL to 0072fL. Color me unexcited.

If they did this and fixed the buzzing and popping issues, I'd get one.
post #16 of 47
The only thing I have read so far when it comes to Samsung's plasmas for 2012 is that they improved black level by 10%. Anyway, I don't see why they would not have a long life. Samsung makes great performing plasmas, even though they might not go to the lengths that Panasonic does, their plasmas will always be great. As for the "Panasonic jargon," here is what that stuff means. http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...x.html#topic01
post #17 of 47
The one thing I do like about Samsung plasmas is that they have less phosphor lag than Panasonic (at least to me it seems). It has been reported that on the 2012 Panasonic 3D models they have improved the speed of their phosphors again. Wondering if Samsung improved theirs as well...
post #18 of 47
Besides panasonic, i haven't seen or heard anything about the full line up from other manufacturers. Past years we got loads of information. It almost seems like nobody announced anything new.

Samsungs plasmas?

Samsung LCD's? I only saw the ES8000. Nothing about PQ though. Only apps.

Sony LCD's?

LG?

etc.
post #19 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

Understood. I think as of 2011, they have a fantastic panel that can be the basis of all future plasma rollouts from Samsung.

Visually, I think my Samsung 2011 Plasma Panel is very good and can stack up as close if not equal to anything in the non-exotic market. But does it have all the bells and whistle? As of now, I think with a TV, seeing is believing. Who really cares about specs? But with Panasonic throwing out so many "feature" jargons in 2011, and some few more in 2012, it makes me wonder, especially the 100,000 hr life. Does the 2011+ Samsung plasma have long life?

Samsung panels from 2010 have had 100,000 hr half lives. My 2010 PN50C680 is listed at 100,000 hours.
post #20 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

Besides panasonic, i haven't seen or heard anything about the full line up from other manufacturers. Past years we got loads of information. It almost seems like nobody announced anything new.

Samsungs plasmas?

Samsung LCD's? I only saw the ES8000. Nothing about PQ though. Only apps.

Sony LCD's?

LG?

etc.

You may want to cross Sony off the list. Not worth the effort
post #21 of 47
Some info here but seems to just show the new LEDs. Its funny, the 7000 now has the ugly stand the 8000 had and now the 8000 has an even uglier stand lol.

http://www.facebook.com/SamsungUSA?ref=ts
post #22 of 47
post #23 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveZ06 View Post

The only thing I have read so far when it comes to Samsung's plasmas for 2012 is that they improved black level by 10%. Anyway, I don't see why they would not have a long life. Samsung makes great performing plasmas, even though they might not go to the lengths that Panasonic does, their plasmas will always be great. As for the "Panasonic jargon," here is what that stuff means. http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...x.html#topic01

Right....does Samsung have those features, but just not "showing" them off?
post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

A 10% reduction in blacks would be going from .008fL to 0072fL. Color me unexcited.

Panasonic always hypes everything up, people are ready to feed on their marketing. Yet last year the Samsung was brighter and had better color. It' really only major flaw (which still exists) is the floating brightness. Hopefully Samsung fixes it, as it's a fantastic TV otherwise. The VT30 on the other hand was just rushed out the door and wasn't ready yet.

The changes for 2012 Panasonic has suggested sound great. So I'm eager to see once tested by D-nice or another calibrator. I really think the VT50 will be a winner if Panasonic addressed all of the bugs from the VT30 and added the new panel driving tech /w better blacks. The blacks on the VT30 were already good, so improving them is just icing on the cake.

Hopefully this year they actually keep the real black AR filter on the D8000. The AR film was changed out 1/2 way through production cycle last year, and only the early D8000's had the real black filter. The later D8000 models shared the same filter as other models. If you see rainbow/steaking reflections of lights you don't have the real black AR filter. Sucks they stopped using it, but I assume it had something to do with the screen peeling.
post #25 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

Right....does Samsung have those features, but just not "showing" them off?

Samsung does not have any of the features that the new Panasonic models have. Panasonic re-engineered their panels from the ground up while Samsung simply made some tweaks.
post #26 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana girl View Post

I was talking to the district manager of an audio video store here and he said he talks to the Panasonic Dist. Mgr. all the time and he told him that most of the 2012 TV's (all brands) will be cosmetic changes mostly, very llittle upgrades. Just stating what he told me.

Ummmm.......no........ The new Panasonics are driven with a completely new drive system from the ground up. How they perform is yet to be determined
post #27 of 47
Quote:

There is mentioned motion judder canceler, isnt that Samsung's frame interpolation system? If so, then thats great news.

Here is my short wishlist:

- frame interpolation
- better blacks with cs on
- even better ir
- no pops(though im not having big issues)


I think this might be my last tv before oled.
post #28 of 47
Caught in the official video from Samsung that a new size is available in the E8000, 60". Sounds a whole lot bigger than 59", not that I would notice the difference in a inch.
post #29 of 47
Source

E8000 plasma
Slim design with slimmer bezel
Local Contrast Enhancer
Touch-pad remote
Smart Interaction (voice/gesture)
Built-in camera
Smart TV
3D
Samsung’s E8000 plasma-TVs will be available in 51, 59 and 64 inches called PN51E8000, PN59E8000 and PN64E8000.

E7000 plasma
Slim design with slimmer bezel
Smart TV
3D
E7000 will be available in 51, 59 and 64 inches called PN51E7000, PN59E7000 and PN64E7000.
post #30 of 47
I also wonder that will Panasonic surpass Samsung in brightness? Samsung is bit too dim on 3d.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Plasma Flat Panel Displays
AVS › AVS Forum › Display Devices › Plasma Flat Panel Displays › 2012 Samsung Plasma lineup....where is the discussion?