or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread - Page 48  

post #1411 of 7721
thanks for the info on the tivo mini. i wasnt aware Tivo was coming out with this. I will be keeping my eye on this as well, hopefully it does have a similar feature set as the Q/Echo combination
post #1412 of 7721
How would TiVo be an alternative to this Echo when you have to pay $15 a month to use their box? At least with my cable company they have a DVR for that price that work like the HOP from the satellite company.
post #1413 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

There is no CableLabs certification required for the DRIR (the software that works with the tuner - WMC, for instance). It only needs to use an approved DRM mechansm (I believe the only approved ones are WM-DRM, Real Helix, and DTCP) and pass whatever approval is required to implement that DRM by the DRM owner.

So, it's mainly just a question of having the software written to support the approved DRM? That certainly suggests it would be much easier to find a solution outside of the WMC monopoly than I had believed.
post #1414 of 7721
If it is so easy then why hasn't anyone else ever done it?
post #1415 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostinsane View Post

If it is so easy then why hasn't anyone else ever done it?

I didn't say it was easy. I said it was easier, since they don't need to go through the certification process. It's also not something that, again, due to the way DRM works, can be done by anyone other than a business, really. There hasn't been a market case for it until now.
post #1416 of 7721
So I would really like to know why the rest of the Beta testers did not get an email like the one Andy posted? This in and of it self is disturbing, not to mention the content of it.
post #1417 of 7721
Well this is a disappointment to say the least. What good is the echo without the ability of the Q? I already have 3 HD-300's, a Xbox, and a smart TV. I just don't need another streamer. I need something that will actually tune and record.

I guess we will have the ability (hopefully) to pair the Echos with the InfiniTV product but if Microsoft drops WMC in the future what good will that be? I can't see Ceton supporting an EOL product like WMC if that were to happen. Secondly, I know some of us are tired of building and maintaining a HTPC server system. I know I'd like to remove my SageTV server from our walk-in closet and replace it with something smaller/quieter/cooler (i.e. Q)

It may take Ceton starting from the ground up and coding their own DVR system. I just don't think the Echo will be sucessful on its own. How many standalone streamers are already on the market and how many have failed due to lack of consumer interest?

*Sigh*

I guess my SageTV system lives to fight for another day...

And why the hell didn't we all get that e-mail?? Most of us here were accepted into the Beta program yet only one of us received this e-mail?
Edited by Biggen_PCB - 10/3/12 at 6:51pm
post #1418 of 7721
Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

So I would really like to know why the rest of the Beta testers did not get an email like the one Andy posted? This in and of it self is disturbing, not to mention the content of it.

I got the email. Check your spam folders..
post #1419 of 7721
I never got anything.
post #1420 of 7721
I believe the email was just their newsletter and not necessarily only for people who signed up for the beta. So, go sign up for their newsletter!
post #1421 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen_PCB View Post

And why the hell didn't we all get that e-mail?? Most of us here were accepted into the Beta program yet only one of us received this e-mail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

So I would really like to know why the rest of the Beta testers did not get an email like the one Andy posted? This in and of it self is disturbing, not to mention the content of it.

I, for one, didn't see the need to post a message saying "I got the same email" as it would have added nothing productive to the discussion. But I did receive the email, and as werd said it was their regular newsletter that goes out to people who have subscribed to their newsletter. No idea if it was supposed to go out to all the people who are lined up to beta test the Echo (I don't think we're actually beta testers until we have the product in hand wink.gif).
post #1422 of 7721
I found a link to that references the same information:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=d8df9c2734d4388754bd41fd3&id=c543e133b0
post #1423 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I, for one, didn't see the need to post a message saying "I got the same email" as it would have added nothing productive to the discussion. But I did receive the email, and as werd said it was their regular newsletter that goes out to people who have subscribed to their newsletter. No idea if it was supposed to go out to all the people who are lined up to beta test the Echo (I don't think we're actually beta testers until we have the product in hand wink.gif).

Ok, I see what you are saying. But it would seem if they are going to talk about the Echo specifically (which they did in the first paragraph) it would seem to make sense to actually send that out to the beta testers as well.

/shrugs
post #1424 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen_PCB View Post

Well this is a disappointment to say the least. What good is the echo without the ability of the Q?

Assuming it can play ripped discs or at least high bit rate MKVs, its a vast improvement over the XBox360 as an extender.
post #1425 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97 View Post

Assuming it can play ripped discs or at least high bit rate MKVs, its a vast improvement over the XBox360 as an extender.

You don't even need that to beat the XBOX. While it makes a decent extender, the XBOX requries a subscription, the Echo does not.
I have also used older extenders (Linksys), but they were a bit slow. I hope that the Echo will be be more responsive, but only the beta will let me evaluate that. It would be great to have an extender that would let me access the capabilities of my WMC box, including my movie library...just have to wait and see.
post #1426 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsimmons View Post

You don't even need that to beat the XBOX. While it makes a decent extender, the XBOX requries a subscription, the Echo does not.
I have also used older extenders (Linksys), but they were a bit slow. I hope that the Echo will be be more responsive, but only the beta will let me evaluate that. It would be great to have an extender that would let me access the capabilities of my WMC box, including my movie library...just have to wait and see.

The Xbox 360 does not require a subscription to use it as an extender. Maybe you're talking about accessing the streaming services like Netflix, Vudu, etc.?
post #1427 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen_PCB View Post

And why the hell didn't we all get that e-mail?? Most of us here were accepted into the Beta program yet only one of us received this e-mail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

I never got anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by werd View Post

I believe the email was just their newsletter and not necessarily only for people who signed up for the beta. So, go sign up for their newsletter!

I am not in the beta but I am subscribed to the newsletter and I received the email.
post #1428 of 7721
WMC is not really dead. Win 7 will be supported until 2020, and Win 8 will have WMC whether as add-on or bundled, so figure at least 2022 or 2025 for that to end.

I know I am not going to have the same system in 2020, mostly because my life cycle for HTPC's has been averaging 8 years. So, 2017 is when I will be looking for upgrades.

If previous releases from Microsoft are any indication,
Win 3.11 was good
Win 95 not
Win 98 was good
Win ME not
Win XP was good
Win Vista not
Win 7 was good.
Windows 8 will most likely be a dud. And all we have to worry is whether Win 9 will have WMC of some sorts.
post #1429 of 7721
Anyone notice the change at the Ceton site here?
Ceton Echo
post #1430 of 7721
Available November 2012..

That's next month and the beta's aren't out yet.
post #1431 of 7721
On the green button Echo forum:

"If you got the acceptance email way back when and filled out the form you are all good and will receive an email soon"
post #1432 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod View Post

WMC is not really dead. Win 7 will be supported until 2020, and Win 8 will have WMC whether as add-on or bundled, so figure at least 2022 or 2025 for that to end.
I know I am not going to have the same system in 2020, mostly because my life cycle for HTPC's has been averaging 8 years. So, 2017 is when I will be looking for upgrades.
If previous releases from Microsoft are any indication,
Win 3.11 was good
Win 95 not
Win 98 was good
Win ME not
Win XP was good
Win Vista not
Win 7 was good.
Windows 8 will most likely be a dud. And all we have to worry is whether Win 9 will have WMC of some sorts.

I actually very much disagree with that list.
Windows 95 was great (within the bounds of a non-NT OS)
The list also skips 98SE
ME...there's no argument there
NT4 was stable, but not very compatible (not really MS's fault)
2000 was good
XP was good

Vista:
I would actually argue that Vista was good. I'm not claiming that it was perfect, but IMHO most of the bad rap it got was not it's fault. If Vista had never been released, and Win7 was the first OS with the new driver model + UAC and simialr, I believe people would have claimed that Windows 7 was garbage. I firmly believe Windows Vista primed the market for Windows 7, and allowed Windows 7 to be successful.

Regarding Windows 8, I'm a bit aprehensive about the UI, but my usage pattern (even on Windows 7) is "hit window key, type in what I want, hit enter" and this still works on Windows 8. Otherwise I like Win8 so far.
post #1433 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

Vista:
I would actually argue that Vista was good. I'm not claiming that it was perfect, but IMHO most of the bad rap it got was not it's fault. If Vista had never been released, and Win7 was the first OS with the new driver model + UAC and simialr, I believe people would have claimed that Windows 7 was garbage. I firmly believe Windows Vista primed the market for Windows 7, and allowed Windows 7 to be successful.
Regarding Windows 8, I'm a bit aprehensive about the UI, but my usage pattern (even on Windows 7) is "hit window key, type in what I want, hit enter" and this still works on Windows 8. Otherwise I like Win8 so far.

Vista was not production ready when it was released. Multiple driver/performance issues. It became stable after SP1. Win 7 was different. Its Beta version was more stable than Vista production version.

I am very curious about stability and performance of WMC on Win 8. Can you comment?
post #1434 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post

I am very curious about stability and performance of WMC on Win 8. Can you comment?

I have not personally spent much time using Win8 WMC yet. The last few months I've been tied up on a project which has consumed all my time, however that wrapped up last week, so more work with Win8 is on my list.
post #1435 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

Regarding Windows 8, I'm a bit aprehensive about the UI, but my usage pattern (even on Windows 7) is "hit window key, type in what I want, hit enter" and this still works on Windows 8. Otherwise I like Win8 so far.

That's exactly my usage pattern as well, and why I've been perfectly fine using Win8 at home. The faster start-up and under-the-hood improvements are worth the upgrade. To me, the "start screen" is barely a change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

I have not personally spent much time using Win8 WMC yet. The last few months I've been tied up on a project which has consumed all my time, however that wrapped up last week, so more work with Win8 is on my list.

Hmm, a project that wrapped up last week... Echo hardware testing, I'm betting?
post #1436 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickotz View Post

I have not personally spent much time using Win8 WMC yet. The last few months I've been tied up on a project which has consumed all my time, however that wrapped up last week, so more work with Win8 is on my list.

That wouldn't be the development of the Echo and the alpha testing would it? Or is it the Companion App?
post #1437 of 7721
I tried Win8 and had much the same experience...except that accessing cablecard devices presented problems. I could not get a "fresh" install of the system to access my premium channels on comcast. I haven't tried a release since the second consumer release...maybe they've inproved media center's play ready component. I was using an i3 based system, one with HD2000 graphics and the other with HD3000. Somenting about the combination of hardware and software caused the DRM to get squirley...
post #1438 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggen_PCB View Post

Well this is a disappointment to say the least. What good is the echo without the ability of the Q? ...

Actually, I don't think this changes anything. Whatever support Ceton needed from the Q would have been addon software for the most part (functionality). That could still be added to 7MC directly as some sort of addon I suspect.

I am guessing that the Echo will be much like the HD300 at the very least.
post #1439 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsimmons View Post

I tried Win8 and had much the same experience...except that accessing cablecard devices presented problems. I could not get a "fresh" install of the system to access my premium channels on comcast. I haven't tried a release since the second consumer release...maybe they've inproved media center's play ready component. I was using an i3 based system, one with HD2000 graphics and the other with HD3000. Somenting about the combination of hardware and software caused the DRM to get squirley...

The final release version of WMC is not available yet (even though Win8 itself is available via MSDN/TechNet etc). The Intel graphics require a driver update to get DRM and other stuff working. The built-in Win8 driver is useless. Last time I checked, there is only a beta driver from Intel for HD3000 or later. There is none for HD2000. Not sure if intel released official driver for Win8 yet.
post #1440 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

The final release version of WMC is not available yet (even though Win8 itself is available via MSDN/TechNet etc). The Intel graphics require a driver update to get DRM and other stuff working. The built-in Win8 driver is useless. Last time I checked, there is only a beta driver from Intel for HD3000 or later. There is none for HD2000. Not sure if intel released official driver for Win8 yet.

I know that the final release is not available yet. I was simply relating my experience. I tried the beta driver available at the time and was not successful. Looking forward to the 26th(or whatever) to give it another spin. As of this instant I just cannot make any sort of judgement about the viability of Win8 as a platform for my media .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread