or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread - Page 64  

post #1891 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I saw that but has anybody else replicated that yet? Some instructions from Motz would be nice..

Hey Sammy2 - I know you mentioned issues trying to playback mkv's and had some stuttering. I was just curious if you ended up doing some codec manipulation on your end for WMC (I'd assume so) when you went to play on the Echo? (i.e. install Shark007 codecs, etc)

I remember you saying that you use MPC-HC with Lav but nothing else for WMC so was interested in what you ended up doing to play mkvs to the Echo.
post #1892 of 7721
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, I'm eagerly awaiting the Echo as well. However, I just got a Xbox 4GB and I'm trying to stream my ripped MKV's to my xbox. I am getting a lot of skipping over CAT5e. Most of my MKV's are low bit rate, under 10Mbps and even some 5Mbps. I have Shark007 codec (latest) with the DivX media foundation enabled. Does anyone have a good guide to get Xbox's working well with MKV's or it a crap shoot?

Thanks for any help
justin
post #1893 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

So it'll playback m2ts with dts-HD/MA but not mkv with the same files inside? Converting 20TB of mkv to m2ts is not what I want to do. If the Echo can do this then it should be able to do mkv too.

Like I said, in order for WMC or WMP to recognize mkv as viable streaming video, I have to install some 3rd party software to force it. I'm not willing to do that because that will easily break WMC protected playback path and cause me to unable to watch copy-protected TV channels. You can easily convert mkv into m2ts container using TsMuxsR. And m2ts is natively supported by Win7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. View Post

do you lose chapters with the m2ts option?

Yes, you do lose chapters.
post #1894 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwho View Post

He got me excited, so I decided to re-try BD rips over lunch. I re-tested a very old rip of the original toy story that I made to m2ts format, with Ac3 audio. Mediainfo says this about it:
Code:
General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : 00000.m2ts
Format                                   : BDAV
Format/Info                              : Blu-ray Video
File size                                : 14.4 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 21mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 25.5 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 35.5 Mbps
Video
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
<...>
Audio
ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
<...>
On my XBox360 S, with 100Mb ethernet (not wireless) this stutters like crazy. Of course, my oldest SageTV media extender ( HD100 ) plays this back just fine, using the same etherent cable moved from the 360 to it, same server, same NAS. Sigh.
Drew

It must be something with your setup. I'm playing back the BD rip of The Wrath of Titans. m2ts file is located right on the same PC. And my Xbox (4GB Arcade fat box) is connected via powerline adapter two stories down from the PC. No transcoding. Smooth as butter.
post #1895 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Like I said, in order for WMC or WMP to recognize mkv as viable streaming video, I have to install some 3rd party software to force it. I'm not willing to do that because that will easily break WMC protected playback path and cause me to unable to watch copy-protected TV channels. You can easily convert mkv into m2ts container using TsMuxsR. And m2ts is natively supported by Win7.

I have Shark007 codecs installed in order to get .mkv playback in 7MCE, and have no trouble playing back protected content via cablecard with my Ceton tuners installed in my HTPC. After you install the Shark codecs, just click the checkbox labled "Recommended Settings" and it should take care of everything for you. The good thing about the Shark codecs is that you can specify a different (or default) codec for every file type.
post #1896 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

It must be something with your setup. I'm playing back the BD rip of The Wrath of Titans. m2ts file is located right on the same PC. And my Xbox (4GB Arcade fat box) is connected via powerline adapter two stories down from the PC. No transcoding. Smooth as butter.

What happens once you try to fast forward or rewind? I just tried playing a blu-ray rip m2ts on my 360, and while everything seemed okay at first once I tried fast forwarding a bit the whole thing just completely froze. I hear this is typical with 360 extenders unless the file is wtv or wmv.
post #1897 of 7721
Fast forward doesn't work for me (it does nothing) but skip forward 30 seconds works fine. Same on rewind. Keep in mind, I'm using WMC extender app, not directly streaming in Dashboard.
post #1898 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee Boy View Post

I have Shark007 codecs installed in order to get .mkv playback in 7MCE, and have no trouble playing back protected content via cablecard with my Ceton tuners installed in my HTPC. After you install the Shark codecs, just click the checkbox labled "Recommended Settings" and it should take care of everything for you. The good thing about the Shark codecs is that you can specify a different (or default) codec for every file type.

Ditto on this - I have zero issues with copy protected playback with my Ceton tuner. Shark codecs work very well for me for this and mkv playback on the 360.

For those with choppy playback on the 360 - make sure you're using a decent switch, preferably with flow control on the switch end. Make sure you have flow control turned on your HTPC nic as well.
post #1899 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Fast forward doesn't work for me (it does nothing) but skip forward 30 seconds works fine. Same on rewind. Keep in mind, I'm using WMC extender app, not directly streaming in Dashboard.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was talking about within the WMC extender app, and I actually used the skip forward and backwards buttons. It completely choked. I wonder if this could be affected by the power of the computer the extenders are attached to. What CPU are you running? I'm using an old mobile Core 2 Duo.
post #1900 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was talking about within the WMC extender app, and I actually used the skip forward and backwards buttons. It completely choked. I wonder if this could be affected by the power of the computer the extenders are attached to. What CPU are you running? I'm using an old mobile Core 2 Duo.

My PC is Core i7 with 8GB of memory connected to a Gigabit network. It certainly could be the PC horsepower issue as well as storage speed like NAS which is rather slow compare to internal HDD. In my case, I'm streaming off my SSD.
post #1901 of 7721
Okay so a year and a half ago I was having fits getting LiveTV playback with Shark007 through WMC so I quit that and went with MB/MPC-HC/MadVR/LAV which plays them back beautifully with no broken LiveTV. I guess it is time to do a full back up of my HTPC OS Drive and then try Shark007 again.

I will still playback from the HTPC using the method above but install the Recommended settings in Shark007 for playback through the extender. If this fails I will roll it back to the backed up image.

I won't have time for that during the week so that will have to wait. In the meantime though, I'm going to put some m2ts files in my local HTPC library and see what happens with them.
post #1902 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

My PC is Core i7 with 8GB of memory connected to a Gigabit network. It certainly could be the PC horsepower issue as well as storage speed like NAS which is rather slow compare to internal HDD. In my case, I'm streaming off my SSD.

Really??
post #1903 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

My PC is Core i7 with 8GB of memory connected to a Gigabit network. It certainly could be the PC horsepower issue as well as storage speed like NAS which is rather slow compare to internal HDD. In my case, I'm streaming off my SSD.

Or it could just be the file. I really wish they didn't limit the official forum until we get the boxes (seems weird, just means we will all talk in public?) - but my suggestion is that we build a selection of clips somewhere so we know we are apples to apples.

Hope to get a nice email from Ceton soon smile.gif

xnappo
post #1904 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

Or it could just be the file. I really wish they didn't limit the official forum until we get the boxes (seems weird, just means we will all talk in public?) - but my suggestion is that we build a selection of clips somewhere so we know we are apples to apples.
Hope to get a nice email from Ceton soon smile.gif
xnappo

Same here. I still have the forum login when I beta tested the companion app. But it seems that login can't access any forums now. It would be interesting if I need to re-create my login credential once I get email from Ceton.
post #1905 of 7721
There's really nothing being discussed in those forums except a couple bug fixes that isn't on here so what's the point?

Actually this thread is more active than the beta forum and thegreenbutton forums combined..
post #1906 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Okay so a year and a half ago I was having fits getting LiveTV playback with Shark007 through WMC so I quit that and went with MB/MPC-HC/MadVR/LAV which plays them back beautifully with no broken LiveTV. I guess it is time to do a full back up of my HTPC OS Drive and then try Shark007 again.

I will still playback from the HTPC using the method above but install the Recommended settings in Shark007 for playback through the extender. If this fails I will roll it back to the backed up image.

I won't have time for that during the week so that will have to wait. In the meantime though, I'm going to put some m2ts files in my local HTPC library and see what happens with them.

I thought I'd add that I had the same issue with shark007, probably about a year and a half ago as well. It completely broke live TV playback. Maybe that issue has been resolved since then. I would hope so.
Edited by lockdown571 - 10/16/12 at 1:04pm
post #1907 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

There's really nothing being discussed in those forums except a couple bug fixes that isn't on here so what's the point?
Actually this thread is more active than the beta forum and thegreenbutton forums combined..

Consider only 7 of you actually get shipped the box, that's to be expected smile.gif j/k
post #1908 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post

I thought I'd add that I had the same issue with shark007, probably about a year and a half ago as well. It completely broke I've TV playback. Maybe that issue has been resolved since then. I would hope so.

Now I feel vindicated!

I hope so because I'm about to take the plunge and my HTPC is the only device.. I have no CableCo STB or DVR so if I break it again, I'm in for a long weekend. mad.gif
post #1909 of 7721
I have learnt my lesson in the past. Playing with codec packs are hazardous to WMC health. I will try avoid it as much as possible.
post #1910 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

I have learnt my lesson in the past. Playing with codec packs are hazardous to WMC health. I will try avoid it as much as possible.
Interesting how much trouble some of you have had with Shark007, I have the pack installed on my HTPC and have never had any issues with live TV playback through my InfiniTV4.
post #1911 of 7721
For how long?
post #1912 of 7721
One of my Win7 PC had Halli Splitter installed and caused all m2ts file playbacks to be stuttering badly. But others have no problem. So, it really depends on your luck. Nothing else. But for a centeral recording PC for the entire family, I'll take no chances.
post #1913 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

For how long?

I've been using Shark007 in WMC for about a year now, but I've only had the tuner for a couple of months... But if everything works fine now and I don't change any settings, I don't see why it would stop working.
post #1914 of 7721
Okay so maybe something was fixed in Shark007 since I screwed it up a while before you started using it. I'll give it a whirl again but need to back up my machine image before starting first. I won't have time until Saturday.
post #1915 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

One of my Win7 PC had Halli Splitter installed and caused all m2ts file playbacks to be stuttering badly. But others have no problem. So, it really depends on your luck. Nothing else. But for a centeral recording PC for the entire family, I'll take no chances.

That's what I'm thinking..
post #1916 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Now I feel vindicated!
I hope so because I'm about to take the plunge and my HTPC is the only device.. I have no CableCo STB or DVR so if I break it again, I'm in for a long weekend. mad.gif

I've never personally had shark007 break livetv but your experience isn't unheard of (regarding, it worked once and now it doesn't ) - I also don't use the Recommended settings option (only b/c I don't always know what it's changing from build to bulid)... but his newer builds are pretty good about letting you know what will break livetv and what won't.

Also - as good as Shark codecs are, there ARE (or were) versions that broke mkv playback for me as well. I can confirm (for me) that v3.8.0 works well (as did 3.7.5) for mkv playback on the 360 whilst allowing me to bitstream hd audio on the main HTPC using just the plain WMP that's part of WMC. However since he recently got a 360 to test against, I don't see much issue going forward.

For 360 playback, I choose Haali for splitter and UNCHECK "Disable Divx MF..." on MKV tab, FFDshow on h264 tab; TrueHD for bitstreaming on audio tab. Just remember to use the x64 app if on x64 OS.

This is my families single hub for TV watching so I hear you on not wanting to play with fire!!
post #1917 of 7721
Can someone summarize what works and what does not work via the Echo? I do not have one to test so I do not know. Here is an example list to popluate with Yes or No:

Live TV
Recorded TV
Setting up a Recording
Physical DVD placed in HTPC viewable on Echo
Plysical BluRay placed in HTPC viewable on Echo
Can see WMC addons such as Media Browser and Netflix
Can use WMC addons such as Media Browser and Netflix
Can play DVD launched via Media Browser
Can play BluRay launched via Media Browser
Can play mkv


A list with Yes or No or Kinda (and then an explaination) would be great. Feel free to add to it.
post #1918 of 7721
I was able to do 1 and 2 last night while I was watching the game on the echo.

i did not have time to do anything else with it.
post #1919 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Can someone summarize what works and what does not work via the Echo? I do not have one to test so I do not know. Here is an example list to popluate with Yes or No:
Live TV
Recorded TV
Setting up a Recording
Physical DVD placed in HTPC viewable on Echo
Plysical BluRay placed in HTPC viewable on Echo
Can see WMC addons such as Media Browser and Netflix
Can use WMC addons such as Media Browser and Netflix
Can play DVD launched via Media Browser
Can play BluRay launched via Media Browser
Can play mkv
A list with Yes or No or Kinda (and then an explaination) would be great. Feel free to add to it.

All Extenders can do #'s 1,2,3, 6/7(kind of, you get MediaBrowser but not Netflix). You will never be able to play physical media from the HTPC on the Extender.
post #1920 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

Can someone summarize what works and what does not work via the Echo? I do not have one to test so I do not know. Here is an example list to popluate with Yes or No:

Live TV
Recorded TV
Setting up a Recording
Physical DVD placed in HTPC viewable on Echo
Plysical BluRay placed in HTPC viewable on Echo
Can see WMC addons such as Media Browser and Netflix
Can use WMC addons such as Media Browser and Netflix
Can play DVD launched via Media Browser
Can play BluRay launched via Media Browser
Can play mkv


A list with Yes or No or Kinda (and then an explaination) would be great. Feel free to add to it.

I have been messing around all afternoon trying to gauge where they are or aren't. Here is what I see so far,

Live TV - yes
Recorded TV - yes
Setting up a Recording - yes
Physical DVD placed in HTPC viewable on Echo - did not try will tonite
Plysical BluRay placed in HTPC viewable on Echo - did not try will tonite
Can see WMC addons such as Media Browser and Netflix - MB yes NO on Netflix/Hulu
Can use WMC addons such as Media Browser and Netflix - MB works well to navigate and select my movies (I have a large library over 200+ HD/SD/Tv)
Can play DVD launched via Media Browser - did not try will tonite
Can play BluRay launched via Media Browser - did not try will tonite
Can play mkv - No. I have not installed any codec packs utside of LAV. I am trying to get a test HTPC going so I don't risk breaking my main rig. I am not very trusting when it comes to codec packs.

I have also tested m2ts files and this isn possible either. My thinking is that the echo is not capable of supporting the audio/video and not necessarily just the container. Here is the mediainfo grab of two rips I tried this afternoon. I went big on purpose. One thing to note is that as of now the echo is only doing 720p for res and PCM 2.0. I confirmed this with both Tv and recorded movies. I guess that this is the main issue now. I wil post a screen shot I took of the MB/WMC error msg.

General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : N:\HD Movies\The Lorax (2012)\THE_LORAX.m2ts
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 21.7 GiB
Duration : 1h 26mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 35.9 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 48.0 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 1h 26mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 32.0 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.644
Stream size : 19.3 GiB (89%)

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile : MA / Core
Muxing mode : Stream extension
Codec ID : 134
Duration : 1h 26mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 2 446 Kbps / 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless / Lossy

General
ID : 0 (0x0)
Complete name : N:\HD Movies\Madagascar 3 Europes Most Wanted (2012)\MADAGASCAR_3.Title0.m2ts
Format : BDAV
Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
File size : 24.1 GiB
Duration : 1h 33mn
Overall bit rate mode : Variable
Overall bit rate : 36.9 Mbps
Maximum Overall bit rate : 48.0 Mbps

Video
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : 27
Duration : 1h 33mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 31.4 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive

Audio
ID : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : TrueHD / AC-3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Muxing mode : Stream extension
Codec ID : 129
Duration : 1h 33mn
Bit rate mode : Variable / Constant
Bit rate : Unknown / 640 Kbps
Maximum bit rate : 5 997 Kbps / 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 8 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread