or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread - Page 135  

post #4021 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkee Boy View Post

+1. I'm using the same profile with my Harmony that i had for my HTPC and it works great, didn't have to change a thing. It's been years since i set it up, but i think i just chose a generic microsoft media center pc as the profile.

The only thing I cannot use is the quick launch for Media Browser as it is a Win +1 keyboard stroke programed into the H-900 where I have Media Browser in the first position on the task bar so it launches with one button press on the remote. As there is no taskbar in the Echo this method does not work so I have to hit the green button and then scroll to find MB but I am going to remvoe some of the the strips so it should be pretty quick after I make this change.
post #4022 of 7721
Hi all - been watching this thread for the past few days but don't know that I've seen this come up...

I received my Echo from NewEgg last week and have noticed many of the issues that have been commented on here. Like many, I'm also very hopeful as I remember some of the speed bumps that occurred with the InfiniTV4 when it was first released - these issues were quickly made right and my InfiniTV is now one of the most reliable pieces of computer hardware that I own.

I'm hoping that some of you can give me recommendations for encoding video files. I have a large DVD library that I've encoded primarily to WMV files (using WMA9 Pro and WMV9 @ 1000-4000 kbps). These files all play/played properly on my XBox 360, Linksys DMA2200 and on the WMC box itself BUT they will not play correctly on my Echo.

I've tried MKV using h264 (have Shark007 on the WMC box) and had spotty results. Even the files that did play "properly" didn't look good.

I don't want to have to re-encode all of my movies but I do have the capability if absolutely necessary.

I've submitted a ticket regarding the issue and while this is a pretty essential piece of the WMX experience IMHO, I realize that it is not as high as getting live & recorded TV right, so I'm happy to be patient with Ceton.

My question for the community here is what setting have any of you had success with - what files play properly on the Echo?

I have TMPGEnc Video Mastering Works 5 and DVD Fab as well as several free options like Handbrake. If any of you gurus out there have used these tools to create video files that successfully play on the Echo I'd love some advice.
Edited by StapleJbozz - 12/6/12 at 9:59am
post #4023 of 7721
Hey 'bozz,

IMHO, I'd sit tight and not do anything with re-encoding right now. Let's see what Ceton can do with the Echo. I know many of us have been disappointed so far with its capabilities other than as an extender, but I think good things will come of it eventually.

I'm hoping we'll get to a place with the Echo where we'll be able to play some HBR files in some format, beyond what the XBox can do already
post #4024 of 7721
Agreed on patience - I'm not experiencing any heartache with it, but there are a few files that my wife would appreciate having working as they do help occupy the kids from time to time...

The other side of the question is that I've been under the impression that WMV is not a particularly efficient (if that's the right word) format. If there are others that offer a greater quality/lower bitrate combination, I'm also all up for learning new stuff (and saving hard drive space).
post #4025 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speqtre View Post

Hey 'bozz,
IMHO, I'd sit tight and not do anything with re-encoding right now. Let's see what Ceton can do with the Echo. I know many of us have been disappointed so far with its capabilities other than as an extender, but I think good things will come of it eventually.
I'm hoping we'll get to a place with the Echo where we'll be able to play some HBR files in some format, beyond what the XBox can do already

Yup. This needs to happen by the end of the year, I think... but ALL HBR files in mkv containers, not some.
post #4026 of 7721
I think i'll wait until the Echo is at $100-$150 range for live/recorded tv and use something like the Micca EP250 G2 http://www.amazon.com/Micca-EP250-G2-Network-HD-Audio/dp/B004BFIT3U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354829876&sr=1-1&keywords=ep250 for everything else.
post #4027 of 7721
There's a bit more info here if you're interested.
post #4028 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post

Ceton posted a good status update on the Echo over on their blog. To Ceton guys following this thread, thanks! This is pretty much the kind of communication I was looking for more of during the beta.

In my opinion, this status update was extremely helpful in changing the way I currently feel about the echo, and ceton as a company. Just by reading it, I went from really angry to excited and hopeful that the product will be what we all want and expect. They are paying attention, and prioritizing the most important issues. Kudos.
post #4029 of 7721
Echo 1 is currently being tested by my wife and I. Echo 2 didn't survive the recovery process. Ceton Support has transferred me to the RMA Department.
post #4030 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I used Media Center PC, Microsoft, and typed in "Media Center Extender" for the model. I got a warning saying it may not work but I continued anyway. After the device was entered I had to connect my harmony with the USB cable and do a few button presses with the echo remote. It's working well for me.

Yep this is the preferred method and profile for the echo when using harmony from what I have tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRay View Post

I am very happy to see this information from Ceton! They really needed to post a blog with updates.
They will make these units right!
Ray

We will be supplying more updates on the blog as well each week is my plan at least smile.gif
post #4031 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel View Post

I for one have been disappointed in the Echo. I've been thinking about picking one up, but for $200 (or even $150 on sale), I can buy a 4gb 360 slim that isn't buggy and can do a lot more things. Some of the reviews on Amazon are right in saying that this thing should have been a $100 product, considering how limited it is.
Yes, I know that Ceton is a small company. But that means that they have a smaller margin of error and that it is far more important for them to get things right before product goes out the door. How long was this delayed?

Confirmed! I've been saying all along that I wouldn't buy a product that does what this does for anything over $79. I'm starting to lean more toward nothing over $49 after reading all the issues everyone is having.
post #4032 of 7721
Good luck. They may get near that used on evil bay or something about next summer but I doubt it.
post #4033 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Good luck. They may get near that used on evil bay or something about next summer but I doubt it.

Agreed, I think as time passes and they add new features, these will be great units to have.

Dare I say a "worthy" SageTV HD-300 replacement? Maybe too early to make that statement... smile.gif
post #4034 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRay View Post

Agreed, I think as time passes and they add new features, these will be great units to have.
Dare I say a "worthy" SageTV HD-300 replacement? Maybe too early to make that statement... smile.gif

Let's hope so. I came to that party a bit too late - just as I was about to ride the Sage train, Google swallowed it up.

I am definitely an optimist when it comes to the Echo, but I will say that if they don't plan to provide at least the functionality of the Sage unit at this price point, they fail.
post #4035 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRay View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Good luck. They may get near that used on evil bay or something about next summer but I doubt it.

Agreed, I think as time passes and they add new features, these will be great units to have.

Dare I say a "worthy" SageTV HD-300 replacement? Maybe too early to make that statement... smile.gif

really, you think that will be possible? I am shooting for more xbox like than Sage replacement.
Right now, as a streamer, I would say its even a few steps below a Plex enabled Roku box. I can play back all my video files to any plex connected display and its very acceptable quality (transcoded at times).
With current Echo limitations at this time its nothing more than a limited WMX device.
post #4036 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

really, you think that will be possible? I am shooting for more xbox like than Sage replacement.
Right now, as a streamer, I would say its even a few steps below a Plex enabled Roku box. I can play back all my video files to any plex connected display and its very acceptable quality (transcoded at times).
With current Echo limitations at this time its nothing more than a limited WMX device.

It will not be possible within WMC in my opinion, but if the Android implementation is done well, XBMC certainly brings a lot to the table.

xnappo
post #4037 of 7721
I guess I'm slightly confused about what Android + Echo would mean exactly... would I be able to access the Play Store with my Echo? Download and play any app I can find? (Hulu and Netflix come to mind)
Or would this be a Apple TV/Airplay-like deal where I can stream my Android device to my TV?
Or should I just shut up and wait for them to tell us? smile.gif
post #4038 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappjay View Post

I guess I'm slightly confused about what Android + Echo would mean exactly...
Same here. I don't know if it means it will extend WMC to android phones or if it allows android devices to control the echo, or if they want to run the echo on an android OS?
post #4039 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRay View Post

... Dare I say a "worthy" SageTV HD-300 replacement? Maybe too early to make that statement... smile.gif

Not even in the same catagory, there will have to be ALOT more features added before that could be discussed. Direct DVD/BD rips would need to be supported, and all HBR Audio/Video. Not saying they won't get there in time, but right now that's not even in their sights I don't think.
post #4040 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariob33 View Post

really, you think that will be possible? I am shooting for more xbox like than Sage replacement.
Right now, as a streamer, I would say its even a few steps below a Plex enabled Roku box. I can play back all my video files to any plex connected display and its very acceptable quality (transcoded at times).
With current Echo limitations at this time its nothing more than a limited WMX device.

+1
post #4041 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post

It will not be possible within WMC in my opinion, but if the Android implementation is done well, XBMC certainly brings a lot to the table.
xnappo

Like what? Dual boot? Now were talking about a whole differant device now aren't we. Those wanting a WMX box will now also get XBMC as well? You can get that in a $35 rPI.
post #4042 of 7721
The echo will be able to run on android OS this was specifically stated by michael from ceton. He then proceeded to hint that it is for the browser so they don't have to re-invent the wheel. Nothing really has been hinted or said that I've seen discussing play store apps but I'm pretty sure those will be available but am not 100% sure. Having those apps means netflix and hulu as well as things like HBO Go I would think. We should all know relatively soon.
post #4043 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Like what? Dual boot? Now were talking about a whole differant device now aren't we. Those wanting a WMX box will now also get XBMC as well? You can get that in a $35 rPI.

But you can't get copy protected CableTV. This discussion seems to be quite circular.
post #4044 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

... or if it allows android devices to control the echo...

You can have that now with Ceton's Companion app. I have it and it works real nice.
post #4045 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

But you can't get copy protected CableTV. This discussion seems to be quite circular.

Agreed, but if XBMC is the discussion, no matter how you slice it, that is still true. I don't think any open souce project will ever get DRM approval. Right now DRM needs locked down device like WMC and Tivo.
post #4046 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

... Nothing really has been hinted or said that I've seen discussing play store apps but I'm pretty sure those will be available but am not 100% sure. Having those apps means netflix and hulu as well as things like HBO Go I would think. We should all know relatively soon.

Wasn't there something in an email about the playstore and android? Not sure though.
post #4047 of 7721
When will the ceton echo work on windows 8? I cant install windows 8 till this is fixed.
post #4048 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Agreed, but if XBMC is the discussion, no matter how you slice it, that is still true. I don't think any open souce project will ever get DRM approval. Right now DRM needs locked down device like WMC and Tivo.

But it is quite possible to support the necessary DRM using a plugin with XBMC. That has been discussed in this thread and others - it just requires someone to step up to the plate and produce it. Once IP TV distribution is formally approved by the FCC, we'll see demand for that kind of plugin go way up, and eventually we could see the WMC part of the Echo become irrelevant. While this is still a year or so out, the writing is on the wall for WMC and extenders.
post #4049 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post

When will the ceton echo work on windows 8? I cant install windows 8 till this is fixed.

I can't install Windows 8 because my system works great on Windows 7 and I don't want to mess it up. If you can go with Windows 7 there really insn't a reason not to do it.
post #4050 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcturkey View Post

But it is quite possible to support the necessary DRM using a plugin with XBMC. That has been discussed in this thread and others - it just requires someone to step up to the plate and produce it. Once IP TV distribution is formally approved by the FCC, we'll see demand for that kind of plugin go way up, and eventually we could see the WMC part of the Echo become irrelevant. While this is still a year or so out, the writing is on the wall for WMC and extenders.

True. The echo will be a hold over until then but it also looks to be adaptable into that environment when the time comes too. I have to say, well played to ceton on that one. Now let's get that 1080i smoother.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread