or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread - Page 198  

post #5911 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post

... I use a free Live Account to keep the xbox updated. ...

Didn't know there was such a thing. If thats the case why do I pay for a live account?

If your going to say something like that, please explain it. I don't think everyone can get a free account can they?

Silver is free and iirc allows you full access to marketplace. I don't pay for gold and I get all updates no problems. If the content is free silver is good enough.

http://www.xb360info.com/xbox/xbox-live/110
post #5912 of 7721
Yeah, thats the issue, no Netflix or gaming.

Thanks, though. I didn't know you could do that. Nice to know.


EDIT: Mario - Thanks that is great info!

The only issue is if you are a gamer, then you can't really have both accounts? or can you? ...
Edited by skybolt - 2/16/13 at 8:50pm
post #5913 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TunerEnvy View Post


What really bugs me is when the Ceton guys get on here and only answer the off topic stuff and stay far away from the topic at hand...the echo. As soon as one of you ask..."ok thanks for the info but what's going on with the echo?"....they suddenly disappear. If you had time to respond to a trivial question how about answering some echo questions?

I had an echo pre-ordered at NewEgg but canceled the order just before they locked all the pre-orders into shipping mode. I have followed this thread ever since with disappointment that the echo is where it's at. I really want this to work out and when it does I will buy one. When will that be Ceton?

This is what bothers me also. They totally skip over questions, rather than face up and answer them. Before the launch of the InfiniTV4 they were part of the community, and even a whiles after. But at some point they decided to just be friendly to certain people, and ignore question by others for outstanding issues.

I'll mention two:

1) Line of pixel issue that was reproduced by them, never to be spoken about publicly again. I've had an open support ticket for probably a year or 2 now.
2) Windows 8 support for the echo. Tell us where you are with it.

For issue 1, I've moved on to SiliconDust. At least they have forums and answer questions. For issue 2 I think I'll be returning my echo some time next week. It hasn't even closely met any of the hype from when they announced the project. For the little it can do it is way overpriced.
post #5914 of 7721
I suppose we should have asked the question.. "why aren't they testing the Echo themselves before they release it to PAYING beta testers?"

Oh well, I suppose I can't complain too much. I've spent $$$ on other crazy devices which were SUPPOSED to get video from my computer to my TV. And the Echo DID expose me to what an extender can do, which led me to buy an XBox. I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do.

And speaking of the XBox... mine is practically silent. The only time I hear it is when a game disc is spinning in the drive. But I just got mine - so it's a new model.
post #5915 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybolt View Post

Yeah, thats the issue, no Netflix or gaming.

Thanks, though. I didn't know you could do that. Nice to know.


EDIT: Mario - Thanks that is great info!

The only issue is if you are a gamer, then you can't really have both accounts? or can you? ...

You can't have both on the same gamer tag, but we have guest accounts set up on our XBOX's for people that come over and want to play. They are all live silver accounts. If you were to let your XBOX Live Subscription lapse it would automatically turn into a Free Live Silver Account. Once you pay it would be Gold again.
post #5916 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

... And speaking of the XBox... mine is practically silent. The only time I hear it is when a game disc is spinning in the drive. But I just got mine - so it's a new model.

Exactly.
post #5917 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

Ceton finally breaks the silence!

Quote:
Big savings at Newegg today!
Save $79 off SRP on InfiniTV 4 USB & Echo Combo!


Well, I feel comforted.

Every time I look there it only shows $59 off. Where do you see $79?
post #5918 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

Every time I look there it only shows $59 off. Where do you see $79?

It was only a one day sale apparently.
post #5919 of 7721
Thanks but that's when I looked.
post #5920 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

lol TV in the kitchen
My mom, right after my father died, put a TV in the kitchen so she's hear and see people talking while she ate. And don't say we kids should eat dinner with her every night. You don't know my Mom's sense of independence.
post #5921 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post

My mom, right after my father died, put a TV in the kitchen so she's hear and see people talking while she ate. And don't say we kids should eat dinner with her every night. You don't know my Mom's sense of independence.

Perfect.. Once every few weeks is enough I think.
post #5922 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

Every time I look there it only shows $59 off. Where do you see $79?

That was copied and pasted from a facebook post by Ceton.

I didn't look at it on Newegg, so I couldn't tell you any details, but I suspect maybe you were looking at an individual item and not the combo, maybe?
post #5923 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurkin View Post

My mom, right after my father died, put a TV in the kitchen so she's hear and see people talking while she ate. And don't say we kids should eat dinner with her every night. You don't know my Mom's sense of independence.

She sounds like a wonderful person smile.gif

My point was that TV in the kitchen is not whats driving WMC + entender. It's not a significant usage scenario for this platform. My neighbor has a small TV in the kitchen to quickly catch the local news & weather in the morning but it's fed from a simple coax split. It's not part of their custom whole home AV/TV system. That system is for the LR, HT, and BDRM's.
post #5924 of 7721
Bedrooms are for things other than watching TV.
post #5925 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

My point was that TV in the kitchen is not whats driving WMC + entender. It's not a significant usage scenario for this platform. My neighbor has a small TV in the kitchen to quickly catch the local news & weather in the morning but it's fed from a simple coax split. It's not part of their custom whole home AV/TV system. That system is for the LR, HT, and BDRM's.
A "simple coax split" won't work for everyone as it requires either an antenna connection, a cable box, or a built-in QAM tuner AND a cable system that has the channels the person wants in that room available to that QAM tuner. I have a friend at work who has a TV in his kitchen that's currently hooked up to an XBOX that he's just using as an extender - he's been waiting for something like the Echo to come along so he can go with a smaller, cooler running solution. The WHOLE point of the WMC + Extender platform is to be able to watch live TV, recorded TV, and whatever else is available on the WMC box in any room you want in the house using the centralized WMC to handle everything. It's really irrelevant if that room is the family room, a bedroom, a kitchen, a workout room, a TV located outside at the pool, or even a bathroom (yes, I've heard of people installing TV's in their bathrooms).
post #5926 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-c View Post

She sounds like a wonderful person smile.gif

My point was that TV in the kitchen is not whats driving WMC + entender. It's not a significant usage scenario for this platform. My neighbor has a small TV in the kitchen to quickly catch the local news & weather in the morning but it's fed from a simple coax split. It's not part of their custom whole home AV/TV system. That system is for the LR, HT, and BDRM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Bedrooms are for things other than watching TV.

Reading this thread, it has become apparent to me that there is a wide range of hardware setups, software and uses of entertainment. I personally never watch t.v. in the bedroom and agree with Sammy2, but I know a lot of people who do watch t.v. in the bedroom. My wife is a lifelong cook as a home maker and professional, the kitchen can be a place where she spends much of the night with friends visiting and cooking. An HD t.v. with sound bar and a WMC Extender is used heavily in the room for video and audio. I would never consider using an Extender with it's severe limitations on my main t.v. but some in this forum think just the opposite. I do not think you can generalize about usage of Extenders.
post #5927 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haba View Post


Reading this thread, it has become apparent to me that there is a wide range of hardware setups, software and uses of entertainment. I personally never watch t.v. in the bedroom and agree with Sammy2, but I know a lot of people who do watch t.v. in the bedroom. My wife is a lifelong cook as a home maker and professional, the kitchen can be a place where she spends much of the night with friends visiting and cooking. An HD t.v. with sound bar and a WMC Extender is used heavily in the room for video and audio. I would never consider using an Extender with it's severe limitations on my main t.v. but some in this forum think just the opposite. I do not think you can generalize about usage of Extenders.

Well put.
post #5928 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

A "simple coax split" won't work for everyone as it requires either an antenna connection, a cable box, or a built-in QAM tuner AND a cable system that has the channels the person wants in that room available to that QAM tuner. I have a friend at work who has a TV in his kitchen that's currently hooked up to an XBOX that he's just using as an extender - he's been waiting for something like the Echo to come along so he can go with a smaller, cooler running solution. The WHOLE point of the WMC + Extender platform is to be able to watch live TV, recorded TV, and whatever else is available on the WMC box in any room you want in the house using the centralized WMC to handle everything. It's really irrelevant if that room is the family room, a bedroom, a kitchen, a workout room, a TV located outside at the pool, or even a bathroom(yes, I've heard of people installing TV's in their bathrooms)..
I wouldn't want to be handling the TV remote in there... eek.gif
post #5929 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeA View Post

I wouldn't want to be handling the TV remote in there... eek.gif

Sounds like the perfect use case for gesture-based controls using Kinect, because who doesn't want video cameras pointed at them in the bathroom! smile.gif

Or I guess you could try voice recognition.
post #5930 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhieb View Post

That was copied and pasted from a facebook post by Ceton.

I didn't look at it on Newegg, so I couldn't tell you any details, but I suspect maybe you were looking at an individual item and not the combo, maybe?

Nope, it was the combo smile.gif
post #5931 of 7721
It is a $300 combo right now.. USB tuner and echo.
post #5932 of 7721
It seems this topic is dying...
post #5933 of 7721
Not much to talk about until there's a new f/w release and there's only a week left in the extended return period for beta testers and/or early adopters. Mine is doing quite fine actually and I'm pretty positive that it will do even more very soon. Some do not share in my optimism though..
post #5934 of 7721
I was holding out for announcement/update, but my patience ran out. I just dropped off my Echo at the UPS Store, so I expect to see a "State of the Echo #3" update today or tomorrow with some exciting news.

Good luck.
post #5935 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post

I was holding out for announcement/update, but my patience ran out. I just dropped off my Echo at the UPS Store, so I expect to see a "State of the Echo #3" update today or tomorrow with some exciting news.

Good luck.

Yeah the announcement will probably be the immediate availability of unlimited numbers of $49.95 tested open box units witth 30 day warranites.
post #5936 of 7721
If anyone is bored by the current lack of news, let me say I finally got around to changing my commercial-skipping software.

I was using VideoReDo's system before. I switched to DVRMSToolbox, Comskip and DTBAddin to try out marking the commercials without actually cutting the commercials.

After limited testing, I am dubious whether this is better than simply using the 30-second forward skip and 10-second backward skip on the media remote.
post #5937 of 7721
Too bad and I really don't think that there's going to be any $50 open box units so don't hold your breath.
post #5938 of 7721
I've got a new discussion, I've noticed since hooking up my Ceton Echo that my HTPC starts and stops about 20 new processes in the Task Manager at about 30-60 second intervals, including a 2nd Ehshell.exe. The 2nd Ehshell.exe shows a good amount of processor power at times hitting 30-50% and peaking the processor being used to 100% at times. This also coincides with the fact that I've been sporadically seeing video stutters at about the same 30-60 second rate when viewing on my main TV where the HTPC resides and displays. A reboot fixes the stutter. I already have a reboot scheduled for every morning at 4am so it never goes a day without rebooting. So I can't use that as a work-around at this point.

Why would the Echo cause so many processes to start plus why would they open and close like that? Especially the Ehshell.exe, I can understand why it runs a 2nd instance because it's needed but why would they just keep starting and stopping?
post #5939 of 7721
What f/w are you using?
post #5940 of 7721
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie14 View Post

Sounds like the perfect use case for gesture-based controls using Kinect, because who doesn't want video cameras pointed at them in the bathroom! smile.gif
[...]
biggrin.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Theater Computers
This thread is locked  
AVS › AVS Forum › Video Components › Home Theater Computers › Official Ceton Echo Extender Info Thread