or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Celebrating 50 Years of James Bond on Blu-ray
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Celebrating 50 Years of James Bond on Blu-ray - Page 8

post #211 of 686
I wondered why Connery was in that Bond 50 trailer for like 2 seconds. I had no idea this rift with the producers ran so deep.
post #212 of 686
dvdmike007, do you have the ability to check for region coding on the last 3 discs in the set (Casino Royale, Quantum of Solace, the Bonus Disc)? I have the UK set pre-ordered, but this would be the deal breaker if they are really Region B-locked as the disc art in the promo shot suggest.

Other answers that would be helpful:

Are mono mixes included for the first few Bond movies on the UK set?

Have the cropping issues on A View to a Kill and Goldeneye been fixed?
http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2911
http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2942

How are the colors on films like On Her Majesty's Secret Service?
http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2963

Do all of the discs retain the same generic Ultimate Edition menus?

Have the "Mission Control" extras really been dropped as the Digital Bits reported?

Have the "Inside..." documentaries been upgraded to HD for the titles that weren't released previously?
post #213 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post

The $149 shipped on moviemars is the DVD version, not blu ray.

Some of us got the Blu-ray version ordered through Movie Mars before they stopped offering it. The delivered price (for me) is $147.71 after their 10% off discount.

Mark
post #214 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Some of us got the Blu-ray version ordered through Movie Mars before they stopped offering it. The delivered price (for me) is $147.71 after their 10% off discount.
Mark
You still overpaid Mark. With news that surfaced yesterday that all Sean Connery interviews on the bonus disc is archival (1960's) and not recent (and I bet the possibility exits that archival interviews are also from Lazenby and Dalton) makes the bonus disc essentially worthless in my opinion. Yes it's been confirmed that the interviews from Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan are recent but we know that Sean Connery is the holy grail of all Bonds.
Yes CR and Qos are region B only on the UK set but I already have those disc and also have Dr. No, FRWL and Goldfinger thus I can live without the mono sound that's not found on the UK set. Approx $126 on the amazon UK site is certainly better than MovieMars and Amazon US (I refuse to pay $206)
post #215 of 686
Thread Starter 



post #216 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post


Thanks so much for your input. So it looks like the UK box Bonus Disc CAN BE PLAYED on all USA Blu Ray players (region A players)? I'll wait for reviews on this bonus disc before I attempt to waste my time. Having only archival interviews of Connery really is a bummer. Glad I went for the UK box set, the US box set is OVERPRICED everywhere here
post #217 of 686
Yes, thanks Mike!

So, to clarify finally once and for all:

-UK Blu-ray Set
-ONLY QoS is Region B Locked


Now to wait for info on GoldenEye's transfer...
post #218 of 686
Thanks dvdmike007!

So it looks like the UK set differs from the US in that the mono mixes have been dropped and Quantum of Solace is Region B-locked.

There is some more information over at this German forum: http://forum.cinefacts.de/191716-james-bond-113.html

Using Google translator, the poster seems to indicate:
- Goldeneye's cropping issues have been fixed, but the transfer is probably the least impressive of the Brosnans
- The colors on On Her Majesty''s Secret Service and You Only Live Twice have been further tweaked (I imagine similar to the HD iTunes colors)
- The Spy Who Loved Me's EE has been fixed
- The already released 11 classic Bond titles are exactly the same as the previous versions
- The 9 new titles use the same UE menu templates, do not upgrade the "Inside..." documentaries to HD, and drop the "Mission Control" location extras (though these are included in some form on the bonus disc)
post #219 of 686
I certainly didn't expect CR to be ABC-coded, especially since it's supposed to have a different set of bonus features than the earlier Sony 1-disc and 2-disc releases...

Should be on FOX's Bond 50 disc:
Audio Commentary Featuring the Crew
Deleted Scenes
Becoming Bond
The Road To Casino Royale
Ian Fleming's Incredible Creation
Ian Fleming: The Secret Road To Paradise
James Bond In The Bahamas
Death In Venice
James Bond: For Real
Chris Cornell: You Know My Name (Music Video)

Should be missing from Sony's 2-disc release:
PiP visual commentary w/ director & producer
Know Your Double-O:The Ultimate James Bond Trivia Quiz
The Art of the Freerun
Catching a Plane: From Storyboard to Screen
Storyboard Sequence: Freerun Chase
Filmmaker Profiles
Bond Girls Are Forever

This also leads me to wonder what cut is used on the UK Bond 50 set. Is it the BBFC 12-rated 2h24m20s cut, or the "unrated" 2h24m34s cut? I know that TDB reported yesterday that the US version of the box set is using the PG-13 2h24m12s cut, but there's been no "hard" confirmation about the UK release (just the fact that Fox UK submitted the 2:24:34 cut to the BBFC for a 15-rating).

dvdmike007, could you confirm the bonus features on the CR disc and also the run-time for us?


EDIT: According to the German forum, the German CR disc is apparently uncut and has the same menu style as the 20 pre-Craig films, but the QoS disc is identical to the original release (meaning it's the only disc that doesn't have the same menu design as the other 21 films in the box set).
Edited by svenge - 9/19/12 at 6:52am
post #220 of 686
Thread Starter 
Unrated 15
post #221 of 686
Can you please check if this 3 movies have DUTCH subtitles please? Cause i don't know if i need to cancel my order on amazon.

The Man with the Golden Gun
Licence to Kill
Quantum of Solace

Thanks
post #222 of 686
Thread Starter 
Licence has Dutch, working tonight So can't check
post #223 of 686
Getting really excited for my set... With the current state of MGM, I was not sure the rest of these movies would even see the light of day on Blu-Ray.

First movie I will be watching will be You Only Live Twice. One of my favs growing up as a kid...
post #224 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Licence has Dutch, working tonight So can't check

I thought your job was posting here? WTF?
post #225 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Getting really excited for my set... With the current state of MGM, I was not sure the rest of these movies would even see the light of day on Blu-Ray.
First movie I will be watching will be You Only Live Twice. One of my favs growing up as a kid...

They probably would have been released anyway from another studio if MGM had gone belly up but nowhere near the loving care (some people may disagree with that) regarding the pacakage and the extras, just bare bones.
post #226 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanddrews View Post

I thought your job was posting here? WTF?

DVDMike has gone way beyond the call of duty in helping us. I can't thank him enough. Just remember we only really have 2 days before cancellation as the box sets will be mailed before Sunday. And if you would have been disatisfied with the set, you would have to go through the hassle of re-packaging and waiting for your credit at Amazon or elsewhere.
post #227 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post

They probably would have been released anyway from another studio if MGM had gone belly up but nowhere near the loving care (some people may disagree with that) regarding the pacakage and the extras, just bare bones.

True we many not have seen the attention, but my biggest concern with MGM going under would be getting these on Blu-Ray, versus say some download only format with little to no extras. I wanted the whole set n Blu and am pleased as punch that we are getting them.
post #228 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

True we many not have seen the attention, but my biggest concern with MGM going under would be getting these on Blu-Ray, versus say some download only format with little to no extras. I wanted the whole set n Blu and am pleased as punch that we are getting them.
I just wish they would have released the other half of the 10 movie set they put out a few years back.

Now I have half the movies and I'm not going to buy the whole thing just to get them - especially since half of those I'm missing are ones I don't even like that much. However, I'd want them mostly for the sake of a complate collection.
post #229 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

I just wish they would have released the other half of the 10 movie set they put out a few years back.
Now I have half the movies and I'm not going to buy the whole thing just to get them - especially since half of those I'm missing are ones I don't even like that much. However, I'd want them mostly for the sake of a complate collection.

I am in the same boat. I am pretty sure all the movies will be released as singles at some point, but I am not waiting and love the packaging. I recently sold all my Bond Blu's used and am using the money to buy the new set, so you have that option. I got about $50 or so for them.. Kinda depressing I know, but better than nothing and it is not look used Blu-Ray movies will be going up in value...
post #230 of 686
@ NetworkTV & ack_bk: The 9 remaining films are going to sold individually (at least in the US) on 10/2, but they're all going to be store exclusives initially.

Best Buy:
You Only Live Twice - Connery
On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Lazenby
The Spy Who Loved Me - Moore

Wal-Mart:
Diamonds are Forever - Connery (Pre-order link)
Goldeneye - Brosnan (Pre-order link)
Octopussy - Moore (Pre-order link)

Target:
A View to Kill - Moore
The Living Daylights - Dalton
Tomorrow Never Dies - Brosnan
Edited by svenge - 9/19/12 at 1:57pm
post #231 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post

@ NetworkTV & ack_bk: The 9 remaining films are going to sold individually (at least in the US) on 10/2, but they're all going to be store exclusives initially.
Best Buy:
You Only Live Twice - Connery
On Her Majesty's Secret Service - Lazenby
The Spy Who Loved Me - Moore
Wal-Mart:
Diamonds are Forever - Connery
Goldeneye - Brosnan
Octopussy - Moore
Target:
A View to Kill - Moore
The Living Daylights - Dalton
Tomorrow Never Dies - Brosnan
What about License to Kill?

That's not in the other pack.
post #232 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

What about License to Kill?
That's not in the other pack.

It's already available. It has been for a few years.
post #233 of 686
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post

DVDMike has gone way beyond the call of duty in helping us. I can't thank him enough. Just remember we only really have 2 days before cancellation as the box sets will be mailed before Sunday. And if you would have been disatisfied with the set, you would have to go through the hassle of re-packaging and waiting for your credit at Amazon or elsewhere.

I took it as a joke, he is not on my ignore list so I view it as a playful jab.
post #234 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post

What about License to Kill?
That's not in the other pack.

While Licence to Kill and The Man with the Golden Gun were made available in a Best Buy exclusive 3-movie box set (w/ Quantum of Solace) in March 2009, they were also made available individually in May 2009.

If you're referring to the Amazon-exclusive 10-movie box set from November 2009 as "the other pack", those two films weren't included therein.

Licence to Kill Amazon Link
The Man with the Golden Gun Amazon Link
Edited by svenge - 9/19/12 at 1:53pm
post #235 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post

You still overpaid Mark. With news that surfaced yesterday that all Sean Connery interviews on the bonus disc is archival (1960's) and not recent (and I bet the possibility exits that archival interviews are also from Lazenby and Dalton) makes the bonus disc essentially worthless in my opinion. Yes it's been confirmed that the interviews from Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan are recent but we know that Sean Connery is the holy grail of all Bonds.
Yes CR and Qos are region B only on the UK set but I already have those disc and also have Dr. No, FRWL and Goldfinger thus I can live without the mono sound that's not found on the UK set. Approx $126 on the amazon UK site is certainly better than MovieMars and Amazon US (I refuse to pay $206)

$147.71 / 22 = $6.71 per movie. HARDLY what I'd call overpaying.

I'm glad the UK set makes you happy. My experience with Amazon UK has been poor, at best. The last order I placed at Amazon UK took over a month to get to me, which is why it will always be the LAST order I placed there.

Mark
post #236 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

$147.71 / 22 = $6.71 per movie. HARDLY what I'd call overpaying.
I'm glad the UK set makes you happy. My experience with Amazon UK has been poor, at best. The last order I placed at Amazon UK took over a month to get to me, which is why it will always be the LAST order I placed there.
Mark

QoS is also region locked, so basically useless for me. I have also experienced long Amazon UK delays, and my biggest concern, dealing with a boxset that is damaged in shipping and dealing with returns/refunds. Not worth the savings IMHO.
post #237 of 686
I'm wondering whether the Aussie Bond set will be closer to the UK or USA version, or a mixture of them both: http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/660814
post #238 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post

I'm wondering whether the Aussie Bond set will be closer to the UK or USA version, or a mixture of them both: http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/660814

It's hard to say, obviously. If I had to guess, I'd bet that it'll reflect the UK sets, as Australia has always had the uncut version of CR (which was given an "M" rating) and their previous pre-Craig Bond releases that I know of had the multiple foreign tracks in lieu of the original mono audio.
Edited by svenge - 9/19/12 at 10:17pm
post #239 of 686
There's confirmation on another site from a Best Buy employee that they are selling the set for $149.99 next week so Amazon should price match that by late Sunday or Monday.
post #240 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkbryant View Post

There's confirmation on another site from a Best Buy employee that they are selling the set for $149.99 next week so Amazon should price match that by late Sunday or Monday.

Since Amazon is including a hardcover book (excerpted version of the Bond movie posters book), it is possible Amazon won't price match other retailers. We'll see.

Mark
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Celebrating 50 Years of James Bond on Blu-ray