or Connect
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Celebrating 50 Years of James Bond on Blu-ray
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Celebrating 50 Years of James Bond on Blu-ray - Page 21

post #601 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

The Spy Who Loved me is the most accurate looking (are therefore best) of the set. The windowboxing in the titles is heinous though.
This whole "it looks no better than a DVD" garbage needs to stop. Seriously.
Agreed, we're way past vs DVD. However relative to the Connery blu rays, the Spy who Loved Me blu ray PQ is rather poor. It just didn't have that wow factor for me
post #602 of 686
That's your problem, not the disc's, m'laddo.
post #603 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post

Agreed, we're way past vs DVD. However relative to the Connery blu rays, the Spy who Loved Me blu ray PQ is rather poor. It just didn't have that wow factor for me

If by "poor" you mean it looks like a great 35mm print and not like manipulated HD video, then yeah, you're right.
post #604 of 686
mad.gif
Edited by Ian Spector - 10/25/12 at 3:47pm
post #605 of 686
Just an FYI, Best Buy finally does have the three exclusive Bond blu-rays (Spy Who Loved Me, On Her Majesty's..., You Only Live Twice) in stores along with the previously released single titles set up in typically in a rack separate from the standard BR/DVD racks in most stores publicizing Skyfall which includes the $10 movie credit promo.
post #606 of 686
*&^*^%&%$%(%%

SkyFall spoilers should have warnings and not be posted in threads about the Blu-ray set!!!!!!!
post #607 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post

Agreed, we're way past vs DVD. However relative to the Connery blu rays, the Spy who Loved Me blu ray PQ is rather poor. It just didn't have that wow factor for me
If your wow factor is based on artificial sharpening and overzealous grain removal then fair enough - but Spy Who Loved Me is representative of real film, the Connery discs are not.
post #608 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil S. Bulk View Post

*&^*^%&%$%(%%
SkyFall spoilers should have warnings and not be posted in threads about the Blu-ray set!!!!!!!

Agreed. I'm not reading any reviews because some of these critic a**holes are giving away the plot and the twist and turns. I want to immerse myself in this film when I see it on the IMAX format on November 8th. We all know it's going to be great. There's extreme high interest based on very positive reviews all over the place and that's all I need to know. A brilliant coup by Barbara Broccoli in getting Javier Bardem and that's all I will say.
post #609 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Mike TJG View Post

If your wow factor is based on artificial sharpening and overzealous grain removal then fair enough - but Spy Who Loved Me is representative of real film, the Connery discs are not.
Unless I'm going blind, I saw some spots of edge enhancement. I really disagree from people who gave it a 4.5/5 on the PQ. At best for me, I give it a near 4, certainly way better than Goldeneye, some critics have it given it a 3.5/5 on the PQ and to be honest they are being generous, my score is 1.5/5, that atrocious.
post #610 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels1994 View Post

Unless I'm going blind, I saw some spots of edge enhancement. I really disagree from people who gave it a 4.5/5 on the PQ. At best for me, I give it a near 4, certainly way better than Goldeneye, some critics have it given it a 3.5/5 on the PQ and to be honest they are being generous, my score is 1.5/5, that atrocious.
The only places in the film I noticed a drop in quality were opticals (e.g. the first shot following the opening credits), but that is to be expected. Besides that I really don't get where you are seeing this supposed edge enhancement - particularly with so many screenshots posted on the previous page showing such beautiful quality. Take this shot for example:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/146533/picture:5

You can see so much fine detail in Q's jacket and the wall behind him. I just don't understand how you rate the transfer on this film so low when many of the Lowry remasters have so much less fine detail by comparison. Yes, the picture is soft but only for having no artificial sharpening applied to it (at least not visibly, anyway).
post #611 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Just an FYI, Best Buy finally does have the three exclusive Bond blu-rays (Spy Who Loved Me, On Her Majesty's..., You Only Live Twice) in stores along with the previously released single titles set up in typically in a rack separate from the standard BR/DVD racks in most stores publicizing Skyfall which includes the $10 movie credit promo.

damn, what took so long.
post #612 of 686
I just got back from my local Best Buy, the special James Bond rack was looking a little bare.

I did manage to pick up You Only Live Twice and On Her Majesty's Service Service - the last two copies. All of The Spy Who Loved Me Blu-rays were gone.

They do have the $10 coupon toward Skyfall theater tickets.

Thanks for the reminder Partyslammer.
post #613 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

There's a bit in Dr No where the dialogue does the same thing, the remixes are horrible in that regard. It seems like whenever someone is speaking from off-screen or off-centre they've steered the dialogue to the appropriate channel - not a bad thing in and of itself, it reminds me of the directional dialogue of old - BUT they've added a nasty reverb effect for no particular reason.
As bland as the mono remixes might seem in comparison, they have more integrity and don't sound so forced and hollow. BTW people aren't complaining about it here because we already know how crappy the remixes are. biggrin.gif


Yeah in Dr. No when Bond is held at gunpoint talking to Strainways, one line of dialogue reverbs through all channels.
Really lame.
post #614 of 686
Have any Canucks found the Walmart exclusives? The BestBuy titles were in stock a long time ago now... and have since looked for the Wally-world titles with no luck.
post #615 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Have any Canucks found the Walmart exclusives? The BestBuy titles were in stock a long time ago now... and have since looked for the Wally-world titles with no luck.

I'm in the U.S. and the Walmart's in my area don't have a clue as to why they didn't get any Bond titles... not even the boxed set.

This release was botched big time. They NEVER should do exclusives like this. N-E-V-E-R.
post #616 of 686
Watched The Spy Who Loved Me last night, can't say I was that impressed with the picture quality/transfer. It's not *bad* but I thinks it looks just above average at best. I do appreciate the fact that the scan does indeed look digitally unmolested but there's so many lesser movies of this vintage on blu-ray that look so much better.

One thing that watching this one reminded me of - the Roger Moore Bonds have really not aged well even though this is this best Bond flick. I remember seeing TSWLM on opening weekend in the Summer of '77(?) and it being one of the biggest hits of that year. I can't even bring myself to buy and watch Moonraker.
post #617 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Watched The Spy Who Loved Me last night, can't say I was that impressed with the picture quality/transfer. It's not *bad* but I thinks it looks just above average at best. I do appreciate the fact that the scan does indeed look digitally unmolested but there's so many lesser movies of this vintage on blu-ray that look so much better.

For instance?
post #618 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

Watched The Spy Who Loved Me last night, can't say I was that impressed with the picture quality/transfer. It's not *bad* but I thinks it looks just above average at best. I do appreciate the fact that the scan does indeed look digitally unmolested but there's so many lesser movies of this vintage on blu-ray that look so much better.

Maybe I'm suffering from cognitive dissonance but I'm having trouble recociling the fact that you appreciate it's a digitally unmolested transfer yet you think it should look "better." I don't get it....how so?
post #619 of 686
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

Maybe I'm suffering from cognitive dissonance but I'm having trouble recociling the fact that you appreciate it's a digitally unmolested transfer yet you think it should look "better." I don't get it....how so?

Colour and contrast issues for one?
post #620 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike007 View Post

Colour and contrast issues for one?

Is there an issue with the color and contrast on this disc? I don't think so.
post #621 of 686
Thread Starter 
Its all rather bright then too dark and is all rather pink
post #622 of 686
Filth, Michael.
post #623 of 686
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by raoul_duke View Post

Filth, Michael.

Who told you my nickname? or have you been reading toilet walls again?
post #624 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post

Have any Canucks found the Walmart exclusives? The BestBuy titles were in stock a long time ago now... and have since looked for the Wally-world titles with no luck.

Yep, near Edmonton I picked up Diamonds Are Forever and Octopussy at Wal-Mart.
post #625 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strevlac View Post

Maybe I'm suffering from cognitive dissonance but I'm having trouble recociling the fact that you appreciate it's a digitally unmolested transfer yet you think it should look "better." I don't get it....how so?

The fact that it's an old somewhat desaturated 2k scan coupled with a good but not spectacular source.
post #626 of 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post

The fact that it's an old somewhat desaturated 2k scan coupled with a good but not spectacular source.

Old 2k scan? Are you sure? It looks new to me. It's the only one in the entire set that looks like it was done in the last couple years.

Why would you not call the "source" spectacular? Was there dirt everywhere or something? The only issue I saw throughout the entire film was about 2 seconds of the title sequence, and I'm not sure if that's something that's part of that optical or what.

So Mike thinks it's too pink and you think it's desaturated. What you're missing is it's a hell of a lot more natural than most of the other Bond BDs.

Maybe I just don't understand how you can watch all of the films in this set, and then come away saying The Spy Who Loved me is the dissapointing one.
post #627 of 686
Thread Starter 
As I said before, compared with the rest of the set its a revelation, that is like saying a three week old mcdonalds is better than rat droppings however
post #628 of 686
For the record I thought The Spy Who Loved Me looked phenomenal. Diamonds are Forever was a bit too brown in the skin tones, but looked good in all other aspects. The most disappointing of the Connery and Moore Bond transfers for me was Thunderball, but I chalk that up to the source. The best for me was Live and Let Die.
post #629 of 686
Just watched OHMSS and thought it was an okay restoration, but nothing brilliant. There were still a few light scratches here and there and a couple frame gate hairs they missed.

As for the film, I've actually thought it was dramatically one of the better Bonds for James and the Bond girl... but the central SPECTRE plot was one of the weaker attempts, and felt more like a spoof similar to the "Flint" films with James Coburn.

They seemed to go out of their way to make Bond into a bit of a fop and the idea to loop Lazenby's dialog for a good portion was terrible. George didn't even know they had done it until premiere night. They treated him like sh-t throughout the production: "You're no Connery, and we'll make sure you know it," kind of thing.

Also, this was not one of John Barry's best scores for the series. Mi Casa did have some good, aggressive surround pans from time to time, but missed a couple of times to place some sounds into the rear channels that would obviously have been heard all around the room.
post #630 of 686
Thread Starter 
It is easily the best Bond film
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Blu-ray Software
AVS › AVS Forum › Blu-ray & HD DVD › Blu-ray Software › Celebrating 50 Years of James Bond on Blu-ray